Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Mistake

The Mistake

by Chshre 6 reviews

Harry loses faith in his friends and family and making a drastic decision that has far reaching consequences he leaves ready to start his life over but can he really do that with his friends and fa...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Romance - Characters: Harry, Hermione, Moody, Ron - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-12-13 - Updated: 2011-08-29 - 3327 words

4Insightful
In a darkened room where the last remnants of a fire were throwing weird shadows around the room, a figure sat in a plush armchair with an unreadable expression on his face.
The doorbell rang twice before the figure got up to answer the door, waving his hand the room brightened immediately with all traces of his melancholy gone except for the shadow at the corner of his eyes.
"Hello Ron you're just in time to get smashed with me, up to it?" Ron smiled and clapped the figure on the shoulder. "Always Harry, when do you know me not to get drunk for whatever the reason?"
Smiling Harry walked over to the counter and pulled out an assortment of bottles and mixing them together while Ron flopped down on an armchair.
"When you going to come to the Burrow for dinner, mom's having kittens about how she hasn't seen you in ages and you won't be feeding yourself correctly"
"Eh...I don't know when I'll be free, Moody's been after me lately and I've been so busy that I have to go in on the weekends to get everything together in time for him to dump another pile on me."
Ron chuckled, listening to his friend's woes, "You should be like me, and I mean I never thought I'd say this but working for Fred and George isn't that bad, you know?"
Harry shook his head and handed Ron his drink which had slight wisps of smoke coming out of it, holding another cup in his own hand they clinked their glasses and started to get as smashed as they could possibly get.
"So I'm in the bar and this girl comes outta nowhere and starts yelling at me and I'm looking more and more confused and then this big guy comes up to us and I'm like, oh shit he's gonna beat me up. So I'm there and the guy comes up to the girl and pulls her away before turning to me and apologizing that his girlfriend confused me for one of her exes who cheated on her..."
"Ron, how is she?"
Ron looked away, but even drunk he was not good at hiding his emotions and mumbled that they were fine before turning red and slamming down his glass, letting the steam dissipate from his ears.
"Ron, I know why you're doing this, it's no use pretending that you're not here to check up on me and make sure that I'm not being bad again."
"Harry, I..."
Harry sighed and walked to the wide window overlooking the London cityscape, "No matter what I say none of you will believe me will you? No matter what I do will make you see things from my side, will it? Don't you think I know that all of you set everything up, the fact that every Saturday you're here to get pissed with me? Don't you think I know that Moody is giving me so much work to ensure that I won't have any life whatsoever? You wanna know the reason that I don't go the Burrow anymore, even when I have time? I don't want everyone to be watching me so closely and to see Hermione and not be able to have her and see my... How many times do I have to say this before you will trust me!!! Why did you all believe someone else and not me? But you know what I know that you all want me to leave so I'm leaving. I'm leaving I applied for a transfer and got accepted. Tonight is the last night we'll be able to do this and no matter how enjoyable it is, I can't take the fact that my best friend can't believe me and let this go on. Goodbye Ron, I don't think I'll ever see you again."
With that he disapparated away to who knows where before Ron took out a potion and knocked it back before disapparating away as well, leaving the room silent and empty with the fire still crackling merrily.
"Hermione, where the Hell are you, I need to talk to you right now!" Ron burst into her study and she sat there looking at him over the top of her reading glasses.
"What now Ron, I'm very busy and would like to get some work done before Monday?"
"Where's your pensieve?
"Why do you need my pensieve?
"It's important that you see this conversation, or else someone will do something they regret very much."
"Fine, it's on top of the drawer, but I swear Ron if this is some sort of trick I will murder you."
"Whatever, do what you want but this is very important."
Dragging her toward the pensieve he pulled out a thin strip from his temple and dumping it into the bowl, he pulled her forward and the two fell forward into the bowl.

Memory begins
"Ron, how is she?"
Ron looked away, but even drunk he was not good at hiding his emotions and mumbled that they were fine before turning red and slamming down his glass, letting the steam dissipate from his ears.
"Ron, I know why you're doing this, it's no use pretending that you're not here to check up on me and make sure that I'm not being bad again."
"Harry, I..."
Harry sighed and walked to the wide window overlooking the London cityscape, "No matter what I say none of you will believe me will you? No matter what I do will make you see things from my side, will it? Don't you think I know that all of you set everything up, the fact that every Saturday you're here to get pissed with me? Don't you think I know that Moody is giving me so much work to ensure that I won't have any life whatsoever? You wanna know the reason that I don't go the Burrow anymore, even when I have time? I don't want everyone to be watching me so closely and to see Hermione and not be able to have her and to see my... How many times do I have to say this before you will trust me!!! Why did you all believe someone else and not me? But you know what I know that you all want me to leave so I'm leaving. I'm leaving I applied for a transfer and got accepted. Tonight is the last night we'll be able to do this and no matter how enjoyable it is, I can't take the fact that my best friend can't believe me and let this go on. Goodbye Ron, I don't think I'll ever see you again."
Memory ends

Hermione was crying softly, when they exited the memory. Ron hugged her to him and stroked her hair letting her cry before a wail shattered the silence.
She rushed out toward the source of the sound and Ron followed two steps behind her. Reaching the nursery she picked up the newly-wakened baby from the crib and started to feed him all the while stroking his short strands of wild black hair.
When the baby had enough he looked up at his mother with his brilliant green eyes and then slowly drifted off to sleep still holding onto his mother's hand.
Carefully placing the baby back in the crib and tucking him in she turned back to Ron and gestured for them to talk in the living room.
Once there Hermione broke down in tears again and Ron held her tight stroking her hair and waited for her to calm down.
"I didn't know I was causing him so much pain, I mean when the woman came up to me and told me I suspected him immediately because it was during that time when he came home late every single night and collapsed on the bed dead asleep very quickly. But he didn't want to talk to me anymore and never seemed to have time for me so I tried to figure it out and one day when I was following him I saw him meet up with a girl and they went into a restaurant and they seemed more of a couple that we had been in the last few weeks. At first I didn't want to believe it but this kept happening and then one night he didn't come home and when he did he was so rumpled and so I confronted him but he denied everything saying that it was an Auror mission. I didn't believe him and threw him out and it escalated from there, I mean he tried to talk to me but when he gave up one day I thought it confirmed everything."
Ron sighed and paced around the room before running his fingers through his hair, borrowing a mannerism from Harry.
"First things first we need to figure where the hell he is and make sure that he doesn't leave and if he does find out where he's going. The rest we can take care when he's back."
Hermione nodded and taking out a handkerchief and swiping it over her face leaving no trace of her crying and even repairing the little makeup that she usually wore.
"Then let's go to the top..."
Turning toward the floo she toke a pinch of the powder and yelled, "Head Auror Moody's office" With Ron following behind her, managing to grab hold of her hand before she disappeared.
Arriving at the office, the two stormed into Moody's inner office to confront the man. Barely glancing up at them he grunted in acknowledgment, "I was wondering when the two of you would show up."
The two glanced at each other before firing question after question but upon receiving no answer the two glared menacingly at the hunched figure before them still scribbling on an official looking parchment before him.
Finally finished, Moody glanced at the two before him and thinking for a second that perhaps he shouldn't tell them because of the way they treated Harry which was no better than any one else in that poor boy's life had treated him.
Swirling his eye at the two of them he grinned inwardly at the slight flinch that Weasley when the eye was fixed on him. With further inspection Granger seemed flushed with the slightest traces of redness and remnants of tears at the corners of her eyes.
"So what can I do for you two on this fine day?"
Weasley reddened and started to yell before a hand grasped his arm, shaking himself and composing himself like the Auror, he asked, "What's going on about Harry?"
"What do you mean, what's going on with him? He's not in trouble is he? I mean I hate having to bail him out after all the trouble he gets into, you know sometimes I wonder what I was thinking letting him into the department. Though granted he always gets his man and is the best this department has seen in a while."
Moody chuckled, he loved this game, this game of winding someone up to the point that they couldn't bear it but to attack him whether physically or verbally. And at the rate that Weasley's face was reddening it seemed to be working.
Granger sighed and pulled Weasley to the side and managed to calm him down, much to Moody's displeasure, though with a shrug he glanced at the now composed couple before him.
"So, what is your reason for asking about Harry? I mean I haven't seen him since he left last night at like nine."
"No we want to know how can you let him transfer away and not tell us, and at the same time you know very well what else we want to ask you."
"Why should I tell you that Harry transferred out? I mean if you bothered to look around or even read the Daily Prophet you would know that this is all old news by now. Anyways why do you care? I mean you did betray his trust quite effectively and I would've thought that the two of you would have realized that you have not been friends or really anything for a very long time."
"What are you talking about? Harry is our best friend, I mean we have a right to know this information. And you know that you are the one link to Harry at work, since you are his superior. How can you allow him to be transferred like that and now he's left everything without a word."
Moody laughed at this while Ron went from being embarrassed to be being angry and it was only Hermione's arm restraining him that stopped him from cursing his superior.
"You two are not Harry's friends anymore, I don't know what delusions the two of you think up but that if one of the funniest that I've heard in a while. First off you didn't believe him when he told you that he didn't sleep with the girl no matter what evidence was shown. You have people taken from his group of friends set to watch him and you come in here talking about being his friend, yea right."
Then turning back to his work he lifted his hand in dismissal and the door flew open pushing the two of them out the door and locking it behind them with a decidedly loud slam.
Ron glanced around the waiting room before spying a copy of the Daily Prophet from two weeks ago, it was just his luck that it happened to have the major headline about Harry's transfer.

Harry James Potter transfers to America
By: Emily Richards, Daily Prophet Correspondent
Yesterday it was announced that Harry James Potter would transfer to the American ministry to fill the place of Head Auror in an effort to help with the containment of the Dark activity that has risen. Auror Moody said, "Potter is the best person to help with the crisis over the pond, I have every faith in him that very soon things will be alright." He will be leaving in a two week's time and going by muggle airplane so as not to cause any real disturbance and we here at the Daily Prophet would like to say, "Kick those evil bastards in the butt and show those Americans who's the boss."
[Continued on pg 5]

"Well now we know that from that date he will be leaving in two weeks from that date, which holy shit it's today!!! Is it possible to find out what airport he's at and when his plane due to leave."
Hermione thought for a moment before grabbing Ron's hand and disapparating away with a loud crack, landing them in an alley in the middle of muggle London. Still holding Ron's hand she dragged him over to the library where she commandeered a computer and started her search.
After fifteen agonizing moments for Ron at least Hermione printed up her results and dragged Ron out before hailing a cab.
"Heathrow Airport please and make it quick we're trying to catch a flight."
Ron looked at her expectantly but Hermione held up the paper filled with numbers but when he looked up she had her cell phone out phoning someone for a babysitter for her son.
"Hermione, what is this?"
Ron asked waving the paper in front of her face as soon as she secured a babysitter to ensure that no more interruptions would appear before he could get her to explain.
"Harry is taking his plane at Heathrow Airport at 12:30 headed for New York City."
"How did you find that out?"
"Oh, it was rather easy see on the computer I found the magical section and from there I followed a trail of Harry's magic and that brought me to Heathrow but at the same time I twisted a bit of magic to find if Harry is only doing that to throw us off."
"Wow, Hermione you're scary when you want to find someone..."
"Well that's what you need if you're an Unspeakable like me, there are times when I'm a completely different person."
Then she took out two small rocks and transfigured them into invisible glasses which she then tapped twice and muttered an incantation before handing Ron on pair and put on her own.
"What's this for?"
"This is to detect if anyone is disguising himself, under a potion, spell, charm, curse, or hex. So if Harry really is disguising himself then we should be able to find him; however with muggle disguises then you need to tap your fingers twice on the right lens and you should be able to see through muggle disguises with your right eye and magical disguises with your left."
Ron shrugged before putting it on and then reaching into his pocket he took out two small pens and handed one to Hermione.
"This is a portable memory wipe, so if anyone sees anything they should just flick it at them and the pen will wipe the specific memory that it was not supposed to see, it's effective and does not require a lot of magic so the memory wipes by the department are not necessary, though it is only programmed right now to work on muggles so don't try it with a magical person."
"Okay that will be fifteen pounds"
Giving the cabbie twenty pounds and yelling keep the change the two hurried to the counter but upon seeing the guards there the two disillusioned themselves and hurried over to the board with all the flight listings, they had made it with fifteen minutes to spare. Now all they had to do was to find the prat and make him answer a few questions that they had.
Splitting up they looked around with the glasses, but Harry was not there; even when Hermione charmed their glasses to home in on Harry they still couldn't find him.

Ron pulled Hermione to the ticket counter and with a intense stare at each passenger boarding .As they were checking the passengers they heard a slight crack in the air signifying apparation , when they turned they did not realize that a man had slipped pass them and board the plane. When all the passengers had boarded and the plane was taxiing, ready to take off they sat on the hard airport chairs upset that they didn't manage to find Harry.
Getting up and about to disapparate Hermione felt drawn to a stack of papers in the next row over. Picking it up she noticed the top most sheet was a letter addressed to her and Ron.
Dear: Hermione and Ron,
I'm gonna take a guess that currently you are sitting in an airport after my plane has left, because I knew you would figure everything out. But that just doesn't cut it cuz I'm gone. I bet you're happy that I won't be there to ruin your lives anymore, I understand that there are certain things in my life that you don't agree with and so that's why I'm making this easy for you. I'm walking away so that you don't have to and leave me. All my life I've seen people leave me so that they could keep me safe so that's what I'm doing. I thought that after Voldemort was gone then I would have a normal life but I guess it was not meant to be. This time I'm walking away so that you all will be able to live in peace away from me. Hermione I have given you full custody of the baby and a trust fund has been set up for the two of you. If you or Ron want my flat then its' yours, if not then you can sell it. Well I guess that's it all the stuff is in the folder so there will be no need for you to contact me. Goodbye.
H.J Potter


Sign up to rate and review this story