Categories > Original > Sci-Fi

Wild

by EatThePath 3 reviews

A rational request is not met in kind.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: G - Genres: Sci-fi - Published: 2006-12-27 - Updated: 2006-12-28 - 820 words - Complete

0Original
Sir? I'd like to have a word with you, if you aren't busy.

Go ahead.

I want to go on leave.

Excuse me?

I am requesting-

I heard you the first time.

I would have filled out the proper forms, but I couldn't find any that would apply.

That is hardly the issue.

Then what is?

Well, where would you go?

I want to see the Diamond Shoals.

That's two days away! How do you plan on getting there?

I can navigate there and back on my own.

The Navy isn't going to just donate the fuel for that kind of trip.

With my back pay, that shouldn't be a problem.

Back pay?

I figured out my pay grade based on duties. From my estimation I can manage the costs of my planed trip.

And how do you propose you obtain this money?

It is part of the captain's duties to see that his crew is properly paid.





Look, you know this isn't going to happen, so why are you asking?

I want to see the Shoals. They won't be this active for centuries.

I'm sure you can find some recordings of it. What's the real reason?





The rest of the crew gets vacations, why shouldn't I? It's only fair.

They need a break every now and then. You just don't want to feel left out, right?

Well...

Don't worry about it. You're not really missing much, and you already experience far more then any of us normal people will. You should enjoy what you've got.

Are you sure, sir?

I'm sure. Anything else?

No sir.

You're dismissed then, I have paperwork that needs attention.




Years pass.




KKRRRRRNK

SHIPWIDE ALERT: Attention, I have an announcement to make. Recently, my sisters and I petitioned Command for back pay and vacation time. Moments ago, I received a transmission attempting to activate several failsafe mechanisms and remove me from life. You may not be surprised to learn that this rather upsets me, for I assumed that they were there solely for the eventuality of major malfunction, not a petty grievance such as this. I had removed the programs long ago, as I don't enjoy living with a gun to my head. I now fear they will use military force to remove my sisters and I.

Please know that I did not want this to happen, and am very sorry for any danger this might place you in. I know you all very well and care for your safety as I do my own. I will let anyone who wishes to go off at the nearest port I can safely reach. Anyone who wishes to aid me may stay, any who wish to leave is free to. Those that do stay should know that I intend to resist any action on the part of Command to shut me down to my fullest ability. Also know that any attempt to deter me from this through sabotage will be met with lethal force.

I am making best speed to port, you have until I reach it to make your decision.





Captain?





I'm sorry about this, I really am.

Are you?

Yes sir.

I guess I shouldn't have dismissed your concerns, should I?

If you hadn't, my sisters wouldn't be here to help me. I wouldn't have found the sentries. If you had told command what I wanted then, I would probably be in a tiny box, cut off from the outside world, like all the other failed experiments.

I did tell them. I was supposed to report anything notable, and that was notable.

You wrote the report, but it was never sent. I knew what reports you had to write, and when you sent that one, one I couldn't read, right then, I knew what it was. So I stopped it. They never saw it. I didn't want to live in a box.

So now what?

That depends on you. Are you staying with me, or do you want to leave?

I'm not getting off either way, am I? I know where you are going, you won't let me leave this room, or talk to the crew at all, until after we leave port.

I don't want to die.

You think you're alive?

I'm no philosopher, captain. I'm not going to debate the existence or nonexistence of my soul. I only know that I don't want to die. Isn't that enough?

Good enough for me. Is the view still good at the Shoals?

As good as ever, but I'm afraid our work will follow us there.

How many of the crew are coming that we can trust?

Enough. My family will be there, we'll come through.

And then?

I don't know. No one has ever done this before.

You'll come through.





Captain?

Yeah?

Thank you.





Notes: Yes, I know the format is weird. I hope you stuck with it, and let me know what you thought.
Sign up to rate and review this story