Categories > Anime/Manga > Pet Shop of Horrors > D is for...

Everything Looks Like a Good Idea at the Time

by Eternatis 0 reviews

And when judgement comes, and your sins are counted, will your only defense be 'it seemed a good idea at the time?'

Category: Pet Shop of Horrors - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Characters: Leon, Other - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-01-14 - Updated: 2007-01-14 - 177 words

0Unrated
At the time, it had seemed like a good idea. Leon was grouching, complaining about the paperwork, about the coffee, about the fact that the earth was still spinning. Dropping a few murder files onto his desk and sending him out to investigate had seemed like a good idea. Solve a few murders, get Leon out of his hair. Two birds with one stone.

Two years on, the annoying young man he'd sent to the petshop was aged, injured, bitter. Going off on what they both understood was a wild goose chase and not giving a damn.

He grabbed Leon's arm as he left, and all he could to say was "I'm sorry."

Leon didn't understand, but that night the chief lay in bed, listening to his wife snore and thinking of the man on a bus, dry chewing painkillers and counting out coppers, imagining what he would say if someone asked how he could have let him do it.

All he would be able to say.

It had seemed like a good idea at the time.
Sign up to rate and review this story