Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Hybrids: Metamophosis

Chapter 2

by Chase_the_Cat 1 review

...

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Published: 2007-01-14 - Updated: 2007-01-14 - 1186 words

1Ambiance
The woman looked up when she heard the alarm.

She muttered to herself in annoyance; the people around her seat began to fuss and panic, loudly announcing their concerns in their ugly English language. Of course, she could hardly understand a work they were saying, much less what in the world had happened.

She put aside her laptop and looked outside the window. They were close to landing the plane, but she could tell that there must have been something that had gone wrong. Over the intercom, she could make out a few fragmented words: "wheels, malfunction".

With that, she stood, grumbling irritably as people shouted at her, "Down!". She paid them no mind, and she was forgotten soon enough when chaos calmed down and people got sense enough to buckle into their seats. She, however, was on a mission of her own. She had always hated playing the helpless, dramatic one. It was not in her nature to just let things go down, especially not when she could do something about it.

She had to shoulder past a couple guards and employees before she reached her target. The wiring system for the plane was easy enough to open up; ripping a square of metal from the wall was no chore for someone of her build. She quickly located the wire that had been causing the malfunctions. Though she could never have explained it in words, she immediately could tell what was wrong and began fixing it.

Part way through her work, a hand clamped on her shoulder and shouted at her in slightly accented English: "What are you doing? Get away from that!"

She ignored what few words she understood of the command; it irritated her that anyone should try to stop her cause.

"Do you want to live another day? Leave me alone!" She shouted at the man in Cantonese, her mother tongue. She was vaguely surprised when he responded, this time back in her language.

"What are you doing here? Have you been causing all this? You have to get yourself buckled in!"

She ignored him. Just as he started to yell again, she reestablished the connections. She stood, pleased with herself, and turned to the Chinese-American man who had tried to stop her.

Within moments, the panic dissipated, and the intercom announced something about "wheels, back, landing". The woman lent the man a small, semi-malicious smile. She could tell by the look on his face he could not fully believe what he saw in her wild, animal smirk. Before he could question the strange, fang-like teeth that stretched from her upper jaw, she dropped her grin and made her way back to her seat where she would await the end of an interesting flight.


-------

As soon as Chen paced away from Sama, an exasperated sigh escaped a small group of students sitting about 10 yards away.

"I told you he wouldn't make any move on her." A quiet, soft-spoken girl with a round face and straight brown hair commented. The expression in her wide blue eyes hinted that she was almost apologetic about the statement; however, immediately after the fact, she returned once more to her homework.

"I just don't get it!" Her partner, a tall young woman with ginger frizz exploding out of a seemingly inappropriate beanie cap, plucked exasperatedly at the grass she was seated on. "It's obvious he likes her. And she's so damn thick!"

"Language." The smaller girl pointed out dryly without looking up.

"It's true! You see the way he smiles at her all the time, even when she's acting all creepy-itized."

"I think you're quick to assume, Sarah."

At this, Sarah began to turn pink under her freckles. "Tay, you're a bunny. You should know sexual tension when you see it."

"Will you two shut up already!" A young boy with spiked blonde hair interjected, sounding somewhat distressed. "I don't want to hear your guys' talk about old people sex. It's freaky."

"And my name's Taylor." The small girl looked mildly offended.

Sarah sighed. "'Tay' fits you. It's cute like you. Small too."

Taylor rolled her eyes, refocused her quick breathing pattern, and looked back to her paper.

"Come on, both of you! Admit it: Sama and Chen are gonna get together one of these days and make mutant/hybrid children, and-"

"T M I! T M I!" The boy plugged his ears in an infantile show to prove that he "wasn't listening". Sarah smacked him upside the head.

"Kyle! Calm down, you dork!" She shook her head. "You gotta face the facts someday- old people need lo-"

"Can we change the subject?" Taylor interjected softly, brushing back a strand of her hair in the process. "There's plenty of new things going on, and all you can think about is the relationships of our teachers. Perhaps you would care to put in your thoughts on the new people?"

"What, bird-girl?" Sarah smiled. "I think I could get to like her. She's definitely crazy enough. She's a real wild card, and I kinda like that."

"She was once in a gang..." Taylor reminded her softly.

"Hey, you asked me for my opinion."

"And I'm glad you gave it." Taylor nodded affirmatively, gaining a small, mischievous spark in her eyes. "And what about Don?"

Sarah squirmed. "What about him?"

Taylor smiled a tad. "Oh, I just want to know if my sexual tension receptors are all that they're cracked up to be."

Sarah shrugged, hesitated, then laughed. "He's hot."

"Figures."

Taylor and Kyle spoke at the same time, causing the threesome to erupt into laughter. When they calmed down a bit, Taylor turned a little more serious.

"You realize how... unique he is in his hybridization? Quite honestly, I think he could pass as a mutant."

"Nah." Sarah shook her head. "Those appendages of his had to evolve, you know. You heard Keisha just now; he just took an as-of-yet-nonexistent evolutionary path. He's a new breed is all."

"A new breed of boyfriend, perhaps?" Taylor teased.

A blush spread over Sarah's face; to cool herself down, she removed her beanie and revealed small horns above her ears, sprouting out from the frizz. "Maybe..."

"EW! Young people sex!" Kyle teased further, pushing Sarah into the grass.

Sarah blushed more. "Come on you two! I don't even know the guy!" She grinned. "And hey, what about you too? Picking on me all the time and ganging up, hanging around together... when are you guys gonna get married already?" She winked.

Taylor and Kyle's eyes met momentarily before they hurriedly glanced away. Taylor stared daggers into her paper, and Kyle found sudden inexplicable interest in a couple stray clouds. After a moment he added timidly: "That one looks a little like a camel, doesn't it?"

Sarah laughed, pushing Kyle into the grass.
Phaedra and Don were not mentioned for the rest of the day.

AN- Damn. I like and don't like this chapter. It feels like it has no freakin' POINT, but at the same time... I think it's going to come in handy.
I love these kids. They're fun to write. ^^
Sign up to rate and review this story