Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Time to Live

Beware of Offending Goblins

by loralee1 1 review

AU Post OotP, No HBP, With Voldemort gone it's time for Harry to Live.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Arthur Weasley, Dobby, Dumbledore, Fred, George, Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Kingsley, Luna, Lupin, Molly Weasley, Moody, Neville, Ron - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-01-20 - Updated: 2007-01-20 - 1655 words

5Exciting
Time to Live 10
By Loralee
Disclaimer: I don't own them, just playing

Beware of Offending Goblins

When Harry arrived at Gringotts there were already four Aurors, led by Kingsley Shacklebolt waiting in the Lobby. The Aurors took up unobtrusive positions around the lobby to await the arrival of Lucius Malfoy.

Picklock met Harry and led him to one side, out of sight of the main entrance but in view of the Special Services desk.

"Mr. Potter I'd like to introduce Manager Ragnok." Ragnok was a much older looking goblin. "Manger Ragnok, Harry Potter Head of the Black and Potter Families, destroyer of the Dark Lord Voldemort."

Harry blushed at the title.

"Pleased to meet you, sir, but its just Harry," said Harry holding out his hand.

Ragnok raised an eyebrow but shook Harry's hand saying, "And I am very pleased to meet you as well, Harry. Picklock has spoken to the Senior Auror informing him of our plans. Security goblins will apprehend Mr. Malfoy and turn him over to your Aurors. However I wished to observe this transaction. We may watch from here."

They did not have long to wait. Just before 10 am two cloaked figures stalked into Gringotts and up to the Special Services Desk.

"I have an appointment to see Goblin Picklock take us to him," ordered the larger cloaked figure.

The goblin at the desk looked up with a sneer on his face.

"You are Lucius Malfoy?" he questioned.

"Keep your voice down you blasted goblin and take me to see Picklock!" hissed Malfoy.

A movement to one side caught Malfoy's attention and his wand whipped out of his cloak and pointed at the Auror.

"Dawlish, you have no authority here!" then pushing the hood of the cloak back with the other hand Malfoy spoke to the goblin, "I, Lucius Malfoy, Head of the Malfoy Family claim sanctuary. I am here on legitimate business to aid my son and Heir in his claim to the Black estate."

The security goblins halted their movement toward Malfoy at these words and the goblin at the desk turned slightly toward Harry and Ragnok.

Malfoy also turned toward Ragnok. His eyes widened as he saw Harry standing there. He wand hand twitched.

"I am Ragnok, Managing Director, your claim is false, and you have no business here. Harry Potter is the Head of the Black Family. I deny you sanctuary, I deny you access, and I fine you 1000 galleons for drawing your wand. You are to be detained by security and turned over to the Aurors by request of the Head of the Black Family. I have spoken," said Ragnok regally.

Lucius Malfoy's face turned white, then red with rage. The wand came up and pointed directly at Ragnok. Malfoy screamed out, "Avada Kedavra!" and as the green spell flashed out of his wand, he was impaled by the spears of the security goblins and was dead before he hit the floor.

On the other side of the spell; Ragnok's eyes widened as he saw his death, Picklock lunged toward his boss in hopes of knocking him out of the way and Harry Potter whipped out his wand, stepped in front of Ragnok and Accio'd a heavy brass scale from a tellers window into the spell's path.

Malfoy's killing curse blew the scales into bits of brass scrap.


Shock held everyone, save the goblin guards, motionless for a long moment. Draco Malfoy found himself on the floor beside his father's body, long goblin knife at his throat. The goblin that had been behind the desk had launched himself over it to take down the younger Malfoy. Two guards were also holding a shaken Dawlish at spear point.

As Picklock helped Ragnok to his feet the older goblin spoke.

"Mr. Potter, are you injured?"

Harry turned to Ragnok automatically sheathing his wand.

"I'm fine," said Harry. "I'll be happy to pay the fine, sir for drawing my wand but I couldn't let him just kill you."

"How, why?" sputtered Shacklebolt. "I've never seen anyone move that fast before. Potter you're bleeding."

"Picklock, call a healer for Mr. Potter," ordered Ragnok.

Harry put a hand to his cheek, which had started to sting some.

"Auror Shacklebolt, shall we clear this mess up?" said Ragnok

Shacklebolt visibly pulled himself together. "Director Ragnok, what can I do?"

"I'd like to know why your man precipitated the conflict," said Ragnok.

Shacklebolt looked over to where the goblins were holding Dawlish and muttered 'because he's a fool' under his breathe. He didn't realize that goblins have extraordinary hearing.

Shacklebolt stalked over to Dawlish just as both, goblin and wizard healers arrived in the lobby. Harry was checked and the small cut on his cheek from part of the scale was healed. Ragnok was trying to bat away a small goblin healer and retain his dignity at the same time. Harry leaned toward the Manager as said in a conspiratorial tone.

"You know it's easier to just give in to healers. I found the longer you try to fight them off, the longer they confine you to a cot."

The healer looked scandalized that a wizard would be so familiar, but Ragnok burst in to hearty chuckles and allowed the healer to check him. After all a fall at his age was nothing play with even if Picklock hadn't landed on him.

Shacklebolt came back to Ragnok to try to explain Dawlish's behavior but Ragnok waved it aside.

"You and your Ministry certainly owe our continued good will to Mr. Potter here. You may take the young one but the remains of the Treaty Breaker will be displayed on a pike before the main entrance for the requisite 48 hours. You may have them after that," said Ragnok in a tone that left no room for argument.

"Be sure you check Malfoy's arm for the Dark Mark, both of them," said Harry.

Shacklebolt nodded and gestured for the Aurors to restrain Draco and escort him from the building. Harry realized the Malfoy must be in shock, as he never uttered a word of protest or threat.

Ragnok issued orders to goblin security about the elder Malfoy's remains and soon it was business as usual in Gringotts London.

"Mr. Potter, Harry, would you accompany me to somewhere more comfortable where we may talk?" asked Ragnok.




Once settled in Ragnok's office with tea.

"So, Mr. Potter, Harry, I wish to thank you for my life. What reward do you wish?" said Ragnok.

Harry looked puzzled. "Reward, sir? I don't understand why would you reward me? It was my fault you were put in danger, I did what was right but I broke your rules."

"Harry, I am merely a goblin yet you stepped between me and death. You defended me against another a Wizard," Ragnok spoke slowly as if to a small child.

Harry shook his head. "You were a person in danger from a Death Eater. Hermione says I have a 'saving people thing'. I did what was right. I don't need a reward for that," he said firmly.

Ragnok and Picklock exchanged looks and Ragnok said, "Very well Mr. Potter I understand."

"Uhm, Sir, what about the fine? Do I need to go to my vault?" ask Harry.

"Ah, yes, the fine," Ragnok smirked at Picklock for a moment. "No, Mr. Potter, Picklock can arrange for the fine to be removed from your vault. Just to make it official though, I Ragnok, fine you one knut for drawing your wand within the confines of Gringotts."

Harry goggled at the old goblin and sputtered, "But Malfoy?"

"The fine amount is based upon intent, Harry. Malfoy the elder's intent was harm. In fact because he tried to kill me, Gringotts can and will claim all of his personal assets in reparations. Malfoy the younger may have a difficult time claiming what is left of his estate." Ragnok's smile was vicious.

"I just don't understand why he tried to kill you and not me?" said Harry shaking his head.

Ragnok waved a hand, "That is easy to understand. If he had killed me, Gringotts and the Goblin Nations would have broken off relations with the Wizarding World until a new Managing Director achieved dominance and a thorough investigation was done. The new leader of the Goblins would then be able to renegotiate the terms of the Treaty between us. If Malfoy had succeeded there could very easily have been a war between Wizards and Goblins once more."

"Oh," said Harry working though the explanation, "you're quite important then aren't you?"

Ragnok chuckled, "Yes, I am. Are you quite sure you can't think of something you'd like as a reward?"

Harry shook his head. "I'm just glad I was able block his curse."

"Very well, Harry, I'm sorry but you must excuse me now I have quite a lot of business to attend to," said Ragnok setting down his cup.

Harry jumped to his feet. "Of course, I shouldn't have taken up so much of your time."

"You are welcome here anytime Mr. Potter," said Ragnok. "Picklock if you'll see Mr. Potter out?"


The next mornings Daily Prophet:

Goblin Nation Names Harry Potter 'Goblin -Friend'
In a statement released today, Ragnok Managing Director Named Harry James Potter, Destroyer of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, 'Goblin-Friend' for unspecified services to goblin kind.
Mr. Potter, who was not available for comment, is the first Wizard in 900 years to be awarded this status.



Lucius Malfoy Treaty Breaker
Lucius Malfoy was killed in an assassination attempt on Gringotts Managing Director, Ragnok yesterday morning. Malfoy, suspected Death Eater, with ties to former Minister Fudge, has been fined 1000 galleons for drawing his wand in Gringotts and his personal assets confiscated for the attempted murder of a Gringotts employee.
His remains can be viewed in front of Gringott's main branch in Diagon Alley.

Investigators for the Goblin Nations believe Malfoy was working alone and consider the case closed.


Revised 1/18/07
Sign up to rate and review this story