Categories > TV > Buffy the Vampire Slayer > ARCAM: The Recruit

Training

by Midknight_J 0 reviews

Xander takes ARCAM training program and prepares for a new direction his life has taken him.

Category: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover - Characters: Xander - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2005-08-26 - Updated: 2005-08-27 - 3934 words

0Unrated
***

A little over a month had gone by since Xander started his training in Nevada. Currently he was the lone figure in the shooting range. He checked and loaded the clip into his pistol then levelled the weapon at a target. He fired single shots as he methodically took out each of the pre-rigged targets that popped up.

Engrossed in his training, Xander was never the wiser to the two people in the room behind him watching through a two-way mirror.

Eric Young, the agent in charge of the training facility, turned to his companion. "Kid's good. Seems to have natural talent for hand to hand. Though it might be from fighting the supernatural for a couple years."

Cole never took his eyes of the young trainee. "Might have something to do with the 'soldier memories' the kid keeps talking about."

"I'm not so sure about that."

That got Cole's full attention. "What do you mean?"

"We've had doctors working with him on hypnotherapy since he first mention it. Thought it would move his training along that much quicker if he could 'remember' the basic skills. Then we would just have to train his body to use them and his mind how to implement them. Then we could dive right in to the more advanced stuff." There was a long pause.

"And?" Cole prodded.

The white haired man sighed as he sat down. "It did work, to an extent anyways. But the doctors noticed something strange. They don't believe that there is any trace of this 'soldier' left in him. They think that the possession just opened the gates for something else that may have already been there. That's were they believe his knowledge to be coming from. Of course they have no clue what it really is."

Cole looked thoughtful for a moment as he pondered the possibilities and ramifications. "Does Xander know?"

"Not yet."

"Don't tell him."

Eric couldn't hide his confusion as he stood bolt upright, knocking over his chair in the process. "What? Why not?"

"No need to worry him if it's nothing. Not until WE know more about it anyways." With that said Cole started for the door only to stop as Eric spoke.

"What's so important about this boy? He's good. Potential agent first class material even. But there are plenty of those around. Why the personal interest in this one?"

"He reminds me of someone I used to know." Cole paused briefly at the memory before continuing. "And for the record, I think he is potential Spriggan material." With nothing further to say he left as his words sunk in with his comrade.

"Spriggan?" Eric said in awe and disbelief. "The kids got good, but they're the best."

***

It was late in the afternoon and a beautiful day. The trainees on the base had a rare afternoon off and were making the best of it. Some were lounging about resting after the long and vigorous training schedule. Others were read quietly. The more vigilante of them kept training on their own regardless. Many, however, used the time to catch up with friends and family.

It was this last one that Xander was doing as he sat in his bunk reading the latest letter from the gang. ARCAM had taken to redirecting the mail and calls from his friends to help keep the façade that he was staying at his uncle's.

This letter said pretty much the same as the previous. How are you... vampires are still in summer lull... Buffy's still gone... miss you... come home soon... Not to say he didn't appreciate it. The letters he had received really lifted his spirits whenever he felt a little homesick.

Though he did make some new friends here too. Although the youngest person here his personality and natural aptitude for the training made him well liked among the other trainees. As evident by a tall brown haired man named Mark Travis rapidly approaching his bunk.

"Xander, Xander, Xander! Are you going to sit there all day man?"

"Wasn't planning on it."

"Good. Then you're coming with me and the guys tonight." Mark said as he tossed a card in Xander's lap.

Picking up the card Xander examined it. "What's this?"

Mark just grinned. "What does it look like?"

"Looks like a fake ID."

"Bingo! Give the man a prize! You'll need that since we're heading to the bar in town."

"I don't know..." Xander said warily.

"C'mon man. What else you got to do?"

"I guess so."

"That's more like it." Mark said as the two headed for the door. "Besides, what could happen?"

Xander stopped dead and glared at his friend. Turing around he quickly returned to his bunk. Grabbing a case from underneath it, Xander pulled out his wrist launchers, some stakes, a cross and his pistol. He could only shake his head as he returned to the door.

"He had to say it."

***

The Fast Lane Bar wasn't exactly one of the nicest places around. That might have something to do with the low life clientele that frequented the place. Despite that, the owner always tried to turn it into a more respectable establishment. He was particularly proud of the new front window. It was mostly frosted glass but had a checkered flag in centre. Needless to say, he was pissed when he saw the biker thrown through it. Not that the rest of the bar was in any better shape.

Inside a fight raged that covered the entirety of the bar. From petty thugs to biker gangs. The fight had started with them facing off with the mouthy newcomers but had soon deteriorate to an every man for himself free for all.

"So." Xander said as he dodged a punch and delivered a vicious right cross in return. "Are we having fun yet?"

Mark grinned at his friend as he twisted his opponent's wrist with an audible snap causing a knife to fall to the ground. "More entertaining than sitting on your bunk reading letters isn't it?"

Xander looked on calmly as a mountain of a man charged him. A swift kick shattering the knee sent to man tumbling to the ground like a stone. "I was just expecting a quiet drink with some friends, not World War III! Did you have to tell that biker that he looked like your Aunt Ester?"

His only response was a laugh as Mark tossed a thug behind the bar. Finding himself free of challengers for the moment Xander spared a brief scan of the bar. A biker in the back caught his eye as the man pulled a Glock from his jacket and took aim. His target, an Asian man Xander recognized as Henry Tan.

In an instant Xander's arm flew up and he shot a stake from his wrist launcher. The stake soared threw the air until in reached its target, ripping through the hand's flesh and releasing the gun from its grip.

"Now, now, play nice." Xander said even though he knew the man was too far away to hear his jab. He met Henry's eyes after the man broke a pool que over his attacker's head. With a nod they both moved onto their next opponents.

"This is going to be a long night." Xander muttered to himself.

***

"What the hell did you think you were doing?!" Eric Young, Head of the ARCAM training facility yelled at the men standing at attention before him. His face was flush with anger as he stared each one down in turn.

"Is this how you plan on behaving as ARCAM Agents! Getting into bar fights over nothing. And no I don't know why this one started and I don't care! There's never a good reason!

"Someone could have been seriously injured or worse! What about civilians? Did you even think of that? You're damn lucky that most of the injuries were minor. You idiots are being trained to protect humanity, not kick its ass!"

All the trainees were disciplined enough to keep a perfect attention position. Looking into their eyes, however, one could see the change as his words began to sink in.

"Disciplinary action WILL be taken!" Young continued. He noticed he just didn't care. "But right now I can't even look at you pathetic excuses for soldiers. Get out of my sight!"

With a quick and practised motion the group saluted, turned and marched out the door as one. As the last one exited Young's second slammed the door and approached his superior shaking his head.

Eric ran a hand through his white hair as he pulled a cigar out of his pocket. Lighting it he turned to his second, all traces of anger gone from his features and replaced with a grin.

"Barely a bruise on the group of them. Damn I'm good!"

***

It was another month later and training was over. All of the trainees had been on their best behaviour since the bar fight. They managed to get off fairly easy. If daily runs through an obstacle course nicknamed the Graveyard sounds easy. The guys didn't complain though, not even to each other. They were just thankful not to be told to pack their bags.

Xander was in Young's office trying to hide how anxious he felt about what the facility head had to say. All the other trainees had already been given their assignments. Being the last one made him worry about whether he had just barely cut it.

Finally the older man spoke. "Alright Harris, you know why you're here. You are being classified as an Agent 3rd Class, your basic field agent."

He kept his face a neutral mask that would make Oz jealous. Inwardly Xander was doing a happy dance. "Cool."

"Unfortunately," Young continued. "We aren't placing you at our Sunnydale facility yet."

That, however, did manage to get a reaction out of him. Confusion. "I don't understand. Where am I stationed then?"

"Right now, wherever we need you. At the moment that is Colorado. A company out there has gotten a hold of one of the ancient race's artifacts. We want you to get it."

"Shouldn't something like this go to some higher than 3rd Class or at least more experience?"

Young just shook his head. "This is a civilian company kid, no need to waste the big guns on it. Besides, most of them are on assignment. You did well in training and seem to have a natural aptitude for this kind of thing. That's why you're being sent in." He continued in a voice that just dared Xander to push it. "Unless you want to turn down your first assignment."

Quickly Xande spoke up. "No sir... er, I mean yes sir I will take the assignment."

"Good, your plane leaves in two hours. Mission details will be given to you in transit."

"Yes sir."

"Dismissed."

As Xander left another figure entered the room and made his way towards the desk. Young stood so he could look the figure straight in the eyes. Most would find him menacing.

"I don't like this. He's good, but some of the others are better."

"You don't have to like it. And if I'm right you'll be eating those words." Cole said.

***

The small table was littered with maps and reports. It rocked slightly as the ARCAM jet hit some turbulence. A coffee cup that had been placed near the edge began to tip but was caught reflexively and replaced.

Xander didn't even look up from the mission data he was reading as he did it. Just as he didn't look up when an attractive blond woman came and refilled the almost empty mug.

"Thanks." He said taking a sip of the warm liquid.

"Not a problem sugar. Do you need anything else?"

"I'm good, thanks Lori."

With that she was about to leave when something on the table caught her eye. "What's that? It doesn't look like anything that ARCAM sent you."

"It's not. They're geological surveys of the region."

"What do you need those for?"

A grin appeared on Xander's face. "Oh, just getting the lay of the land."

***

"Sir." A man said as he approached an imposing figure behind a large oak desk. "We've received word that Agent Harris's plane has landed an hour ago."

"Do we have an appropriate welcome prepared yet?"

"Guards placed at every entrance as well as patrolling halls at random intervals. Motion sensors in the air ducts. Heat sensors in th..."

"Yes or no would do." The figure said cutting him off.

"Yes sir. Anyway he tries to get in we'll see a mile away."

"Good."

"Ah... sir? One more thing."

"Yes?"

"He... ah... seems to be going the wrong direction."

***

"I've been working on the railroad all the..."

Anymore of the off key singing after that was drowned out by the sound of metal on rock echoed throughout the cavern. Repeatedly the sludge hammer came down and sent pieces of rock flying.

This cave was a lucky find for Xander. Sure the entrance was almost a kilometre in the wrong direction, but it was worth the extra trek.

The research facility he was supposed to be breaking into was quite large. It had twelve floors and five sublevels. A sixth sublevel was under construction. This part of the cave ran parallel to it.

Finally Xander stopped swinging and wiped the sweat from his brow. A large portion of the cave wall was gone and before him was the steel of the facilities wall. The wall had been put up in panels and one full panel was revealed before him.

After taking a quick drink from a water bottle Xander took out a torch and got back to work.

***

"What do you mean you don't know where he is?"

"Well... ah... the thing is..." The man sputtered as he gave his report.

"Spit it out already."

"He was out in the middle of nowhere. There was nowhere for him to go. We only lost sight of him for a minute and then he was just... gone."

"Put everyone on alert." The figure said calmly. "Things are about to get interesting."

***

A swift kick brought the freshly cut panel crashing to the floor. Xander cringed as the metallic sound of the impact echoed through the large empty room.

Standing still he listened for any sign that anyone had heard the falling panel. He let out a sigh of relief when he heard nothing, glad his intelligence on this floor was correct. The workers building the new lab had a day off scheduled.

Quickly he made his way through the area towards the back. The object he was looking for was on sublevel three. The only access to the sublevels was a card locked elevator and an emergency stairwell, also card locked.

Well, there was the air ventilation shaft, but how predictable would that be? Besides it was mostly vertical he didn't have the right gear with him for that.

Skipping the shaft and the elevator, Xander went for the stairwell. Sometimes the simple things were the best. Or it might have had something to do with the card lock not being installed yet. Although it was in a box next to the door all ready for the workers to install the next day.

In no time Xander made it up to sublevel three. When he got to the door he pulled out a device that looked like a card with a wire going to a palm pilot like device. Putting the card in the reader on the door lock the device began to run through an algorithm. A little shy of a minute later the readers light switch from red to green, signalling that the door was unlocked.

Opening the door just a crack Xander looked into the hall. Satisfied that nobody was in the hall he slipped in and began to make his way to the lab, careful to avoid the security cameras line of sight. As he neared an adjacent hallway he heard the soft echoing of footsteps approaching.

Flattening himself against the wall just before it met with the other hall he waited. His heart thundered in his chest as the footsteps grew closer and closer. This was the moment of truth, if all this was worth it. Screw this up and it could jeopardize the whole mission. His first mission.

Finally the footsteps reached the intersection and Xander lashed out. One hand covered the startled man's mouth while the other jammed a syringe home in the side his neck. The man struggled for a minute, but slowly grew more subdued until he was finally unconscious.

Since this was suppose to be a civilian company Xander brought mostly non-lethals with him. The only lethal designed weaponry he had with him were his pistol and knife.

Carefully and quietly he drug the man to a nearby room. The schematics he had studied were right on the money. This room was mostly just used for lab equipment storage. Dropping the man unceremoniously onto the floor Xander took in his dark blue, military like uniform.

"Civilian company my ass."

***

"So'd you catch that new Segal movie yet, Joe?" A man asked turning to his companion as they stood guard over the large double doors behind them.

"Why would I want to watch that crap? They're all the same."

"C'mon! Under Siege was good!"

"Fred, two good movies does not a good actor make."

"No taste." Fred mumbled as he shook his head. His head shot back to the side as the movement had caused him to catch sight of an approaching figure. They wore the same dark blue uniform as him along with a cap. "Who're you?"

"Davis." The man replied as he came to a stop in front of them. "I was sent down to relieve you."

"Relieve us?" Joe asked with confusion. "But neither of us have been here for a full rotation yet."

"Must be a miscommunication then. I do have my orders though."

"Hang on, I'll radio command."

Joe's eyes flicked down to his belt for only a second as he went to unclip his radio. It was enough though. It was in that second that the man attacked.

With blinding speed he struck out with a ridge hand into Fred's throat causing the man to stumble into the wall gasping, his hands reflexively going to the injury. Joe didn't fare any better as a powerful blow impacted his temple as he moved to draw his weapon instead of his radio. He crumpled unconscious to the ground. A swift kick later and Fred joined him.

"Well," Xander said as he took a mask out of his pack and fitted it to his face. "That wasn't too hard."

Gabbing an access card from the unconscious guards Xander swiped it through the reader. Opening the door slightly he tossed four cylindrical objects. They bounced loudly on the cold concrete floor twice, catching the attention of all twelve guards in the room, before rolling a short distance.

"Oh-" One guard started.

"-Shit!" Another finished for him.

As one the guards dove for what little cover was available to them. Instead of the explosions they expected however, they were greeted with a hissing sound. Two of the cylinders emitted a thick dark smoke while the other two let off some sort of green substance. It wasn't long before they found out what it did as an unlucky guard had fallen next to one in his haste for cover. He only now started to get up. As he breathed in the green smoke he fell right back down.

"Knockout gas!"

Crack.

"What the-"

Thump.

"Secure the entrance!"

Crunch.

"Where is he?!"

Xander had stridden easily into the room. The gas mask had infrared lenses making the smoke no problem to overcome. He was almost casual in movement as he made his way towards the podium in the rooms centre, pausing only to strike someone in his way. It wasn't long until he made it there and grabbed the object resting on it. A heavy metal container about the size and shape of a shoebox.

***

"Report." A figure stated calmly to the rather nervous looking man before him.

"Well... he... what happened is-"

"He got away." The figure finished for him.

"Yes sir."

"With the box."

"Yes sir."

"Good."

***

Xander strode up to the New York office of ARCAM with a grin on his face and box firmly under his arm. He couldn't suppress the chuckle as he reminisced about his first visit here and thought that at least he was entering under his own power this time.

After the mission Xander had been contacted and told to report here directly to Cole with the object instead of Eric Young in Nevada. He had no problem with that. He liked Cole better anyways. Well ok, while that was true, he didn't really have a problem with much right now. He was still on cloud nine from the excitement of his first mission being a success.

The only thing did tug at his mind as he passed the first security checkpoint was the military like personnel in a civilian facility. It was only a very slight tug though. He figured he would mention it in his report to Cole and he would notify the appropriate people. It wasn't their normal area anyways. ARCAM usually let shadowy agencies deal with other shadowy agencies unless something or someone got them directly involved.

An assistant approached Xander as he passed through the second checkpoint and ushered him to an elevator. It went straight to the top floor where Cole's, as well as the other higher ups, office was. He was still grinning as he got off the elevator and knocked on Cole's door.

"Enter."

Xander closed the door behind him as he went inside and stood before the desk, placing the box on it. Cole stopped him as he went to stand at attention. "That's not necessary. Sit down. You can talk freely. You must be pretty excited having your first mission a complete success."

"Hell yeah!" Xander said exuberantly as he took a seat opposite him. "It was great! I rocked!"

Cole couldn't help but laugh at the young agent before him. "You certainly did. I must say I'm impressed. Even we didn't know that cave was there."

"I'm from Sunnydale." Xander said as if that answered everything. "There's always a cave."

Shaking his head Cole opened the lid of the box. Xander couldn't help but try to look inside. He'd been under strict orders not to look and was curious what this artifact actually was. Unfortunately the lid and a pair of hands blocked his view.

It was then that Xander remembered something. "There is one thing that troubled me about the mission though. The guards seemed military to me. Or at least trained and organized."

"I wouldn't worry about it." Cole assured him as he let the lid drop and pulled a cuban cigar out, bring it to his lips. Seeing the now open box Xander saw that it was solid metal except for a cylindrical indention just large enough for the cigar.

Waving out his match and exaggeratedly blowing smoke Cole couldn't help but laugh at the look on Xander's face. "They were ours Xander. It was a test. Your final exam if you will."

"A test?" Xander repeated dumbfounded. "Did I pass at least?"

"With flying colours." Cole assured him as he stood and offered his hand. "Welcome to ARCAM Agent Harris."
Sign up to rate and review this story