Categories > Books > Outsiders > Baby Girl

Chapter One

by Rebel009 1 review

Dakota Curtis, good student, star swimmer, ace mechanic, asthmatic, twin sister to Ponyboy, and all around good kid. But how will the Curtis brothers react when their little 'Baby Girl' is secretly...

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-05-25 - Updated: 2006-05-26 - 4535 words

-1MarySue
A/N: "The Outsiders" is my most favorite book in the history of forever!!! I had always wondered what the book would be like if the Curtis's had a sister. Apparently, people think that this idea is overdone, I don't think so. And if it is.....TOO BAD, I'M DOING IT ANYWAY!!!!HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!....okay, I'm done.

Oh yeah, the stuff that happened in the book with Dally and Johnny dying....yeah, didn't happen. So Johnny didn't kill a Soc or anything and Darry never hit Ponyboy. I really feel bad for Darry's character, so he's probably going to be a little more OOC than in other fics.

Now I don't know how long your swim teams go for, but in my school we have two. One is for fall and winter and the other is for spring and summer. Well, the second one is actually a district swimming team, but it's pretty much the same to me. If you people who read my other stories haven't figured it out, I'm a swimmer, it's my favorite sport. GO MICHAEL PHELPS!!!! Only dude I watched in the Olympics.

I don't own "The Outsiders", but I do own Dakota and Tyler. I also don't own "American Chopper"(the reason I have Dakota), which I will explain later. Best show in the world!!!009

Chapter One

My life consists of three hobbies...well, other things too, but that's besides the point. Right, so, number one...swimming, I'm on the school swim team, apparently the best in my class. Supposedly, I have "a gift". Darry says it can get me into any university in the country, Coach says it could get me into the Olympics. Honestly, I could care less where I go, I swim because it's something I like to do, being extremely good at it was only a side benefit. Just like my twin brother, Ponyboy, and the track team.

Every once in a while, Darry will take the day off on a Saturday and take me down to the community center to "train" me. Why?...I have no idea, it's not exactly like he's an expert or anything. Sometimes, I'm glad he wants to help, like when we worked on my reaction to the start gun. I would always flinch and end up diving off the block later than everyone else. Well, Darry had finally fixed that, but it took a three hours and a few threats. Yeah, so sometimes, I really appreciate his advice. But, once in a while he'll push me way too hard and I'll end up getting really frustrated at him and myself. I never say anything though 'cause I know he just wants for me to get what he couldn't with football. Darry says that I could get a full scholarship if I try hard enough.

My name is Dakota, Dakota Lee Curtis, but ya'll can just call me Kody, everyone else does. Darry is my oldest brother and my legal guardian. Our parents died in a car accident when I was thirteen, leaving Darry alone to take care of me and my two other brothers. He had wanted to go to college and we had wanted to send him there, but we just didn't have enough money. Heck, we barely had enough to make ends meet. Darry had a full time job as a roofer, but one paycheck just wasn't enough.

So, my next oldest brother, Soda, dropped out of high school and got a full time job as a mechanic at the DX with his best friend, Steve Randle. Steve is a member of our small gang which also includes Two-Bit Matthews, Dallas Winston, and Johnny Cade. They're not just my friends, they're part of my family too. I may have lost two parents, but I gained four older brothers. More older brothers, just what I needed.

That just leaves me and Ponyboy, the youngest of the pack. We're twins and we look nothing alike. Well, some people say we have the same eyes, but his are more green and mine are more gray. We don't even have "twin names" like Andrew and Andrea or Tyler and Taylor. My dad did want to name me Colt, but my mom wouldn't have it. So my name isn't totally out there, but it's still uncommon. I'm the only Dakota I know so far.

Ponyboy's hair is a dark, reddish-brown. Darry and Soda have dark hair too, but not me. Nope, I am 100% naturally blonde, and I mean border line white blonde. I even got white highlights from the being out in the sun. How?... I haven't a clue. I mean, my mom was the only other person in my family who was remotely blonde, but it was still more brown. Dad just used to say that it was one of the things that made me special.

Ponyboy is taller than me now, too. We used to be the same height, but now he has a good three inches off of me. But, that was destined to happen anyway since he is a boy and I am not. I stopped growing at thirteen, we're fifteen, almost sixteen and he hasn't stopped yet. So, I am now officially the shortest person in the gang, about 5"9 and a half, I barely come up to Darry's chin. It kind of sucks.

Another more obvious difference is Ponyboy has always stayed kind of pale, while my skin just keeps getting darker every summer, and it never goes away. I'm even tanner than Soda. I'm also a little slimmer than Ponyboy. My metabolism is too high, and that can get really annoying. Especially, when I get sick, which is unfortunately often. I never want to eat anything when I'm sick, and then I end up losing a lot of weight. Ponyboy is the same way. I don't think I've ever gone over 105 pounds.

I also am the only person in my family that has asthma. I had developed a mild case when I was twelve, but we didn't find out until a year later, months after mom and dad died. I don't remember much about that day except one minute I was hanging with the guys, the next minute I was lying in a hospital bed. I've been on medication ever since.

All of my meds cost about 3000 dollars a year, and that was money we just didn't have with two paychecks. I felt really bad I was the reason we had such a high bill, but Darry and Soda always told me not to worry about it, it wasn't my fault. But it didn't matter, I hated the fact that they needed to spend a lot of money just on me. So I got a part time job and have been paying my own med bills ever since. My older brothers still don't like it, but respect that I feel better that way.

Uh... so, what was I talking about again? Umm...oh yea, swimming!! Heh, one track mind. Yea, so swimming is the reason I'm still at this frickin' (Darry and Soda don't let me swear) school at 6:30 on a Friday night. Obviously, I don't have a lot of free time, which I think Darry likes 'cause I keep out or trouble...or so he thinks, hah hah, but I'll explain that later!!! Anyway, practice was finally over and I was in the locker room, towel drying my hair. Usually, I would have used one of the hair dryers that were fixed to the wall, but I was running late. There was only two other girls out of twenty left. Besides, Darry would show up any minute.

I threw all my crap in the small locker, pulled on my gray, hooded sweatshirt that used to belong to Soda, and slung my sports bag over my good shoulder. Some days, I'll overwork myself and end up pulling muscles in my back, arms, and legs. Well, today is was my left shoulder. That was half the reason why I was running so late, you ever try to dress fast with a numb shoulder? I jogged down the hallway to the main doors and was surprised to see not Darry, but Tyler. He was outside, leaning against his red Ford pick up truck. What is it with guys and trucks? Everyone I know drives a truck!!

Tyler Mackey, everyone just calls him Ty, is my best friend and a year older than me at seventeen. But we're both juniors since Ponyboy and I skipped a grade. Ty is a greaser, but he doesn't act like one. Just like me and my family. In fact, the only one who really is a greaser is Dallas Winston, but he's not even half as bad as Tim Shepard and his gang. Pony and I aren't allowed to hang around Tim or Curly unless Darry or Soda are with us. The only thing that makes my family greasers is the fact that we don't that much money...well, that and the whole hair thing the guys have going on.

I definitely do not look like a greaser girl, they're practically sluts; mini skirts, leather pants, tons of make up, and huge hairdos drowned in hair spray. I'm just fine with my old hand-me-down shirts, jeans, and putting my hair in a plain ponytail. Besides, Darry would throttle me if he ever saw me like that. I don't usually wear makeup unless it's something formal, and then I borrow a little from my other friend Samantha. She not a greaser or a Soc, she's in the middle class.

Tyler doesn't look like a greaser at all. He could be a Soc if he had the money, just like Darry. But, he doesn't care. He would rather stay with us, he's part of our gang since he's my best friend and the rest of the guys really like him. Of course, he hasn't been with us as long as everyone else, but we still treat him like family. I guess Ty and I looked more alike than me and my brothers, even though I have a twin. His hair is blonde, but has a more golden color which he keeps short and spikey with gel. He's really tan too, not as tan as me and Soda, but still darker than everyone else. And yes, just like all the other guys, he's is about four inches taller than I am. Story of my life. I just claim I'm vertically challenged.

"Ty?! What are you doing here?" I asked as I gave him a hug...I know what your thinking, NO!! I hug everybody, get used to it!! Everyone thinks that Ty and I are gonna end up together. Where the hell did that come from anyway???

"Soda called me," he explained. "Darry was going to be working late and couldn't pick you up. Oh yea, and he wanted me to tell you that it was your turn to cook dinner."

I groaned and ran a hand down my face. I tossed my bag into the backseat and climbed into the truck. My house was a good fifteen minutes away from the school and since it was winter, it was already getting dark around five. Darry never wanted me walking home in the dark, so he always made sure I had a ride. I have a license and everything...I just have no car.

"I gotta warn ya," Ty said. "Mac's probably gonna be given you a call tonight." I sighed and slouched in the seat, dejectedly.

"Great, just what I wanted, more stress." I muttered. He chuckled and ruffled my hair. He knew I hated when he did that. I smiled when he grimaced and wiped his now damp hand on his pant leg. Now, I was glad I didn't have time to dry my hair. When we stopped in front of my house, I gave him another hug and told him I'd see him tomorrow. I work on the weekends during school and Ty was my partner. That's how we met, actually. I had gotten a part-time job when we needed the money.

Ty waited until I was at the front door before waving and driving off. He lived about five blocks away. I walked into the house to see Soda dead asleep on the couch, the TV still on and the remote in his hand. Ponyboy was at the kitchen table doing his history homework. He always did his homework on Friday while I did mine on Sunday. I'm such a procrastinator, but that's okay because I just had math this weekend. No big deal.

I dropped my bag in my bedroom and dragged myself into the kitchen, totally exhausted. The pain in my left shoulder just wouldn't let up, not to mention I was starting to get a headache. But that was no big surprise, I get headaches all the time, but I never tell anyone. I worry my brothers enough. Seriously, they think that because I have it, asthma is the worst disease in the world. Even though, practically one out of every five Americans has it. I jumped up onto the counter top, legs dangling, reaching inside one of the cabinets for the bottle of aspirin.

"What do you want for dinner, Pony?" I asked as I popped two pills in my mouth. He just shrugged, not bothering to look up at me. "Well, you're a big help." I muttered as I pulled out a couple boxes of macaroni and cheese from the pantry. It wasn't much, but it was fast and easy. I had filled the pot with water and set it on the stove to boil, when the phone rang on the side table right next to my sleeping brother's head. Needless to say, he wasn't on the couch anymore.

"I plead the 5th!!!" he cried, still half asleep on the floor. I laughed as I picked up the phone and took Soda's place on the couch, resting my feet on his stomach.

"Hello?" I asked and winced, switching the phone in my hands to favor my good shoulder. I could tell that Soda noticed because he had a concerned frown on his face.

"Hey, Kody!! Long time no see!!" An annoyingly, familiar voice came out from the speaker. I rolled my eyes and suppressed a groan. I hated it when Ty was right.

"Cut the crap, Mac. What do you want?" Mac was my boss and no doubt trying to suck up to me so I'll give into one of his insane jobs. I was already starting to tense up, but at that moment Soda had gotten up, sat me down on the floor, and sat on the couch behind me. Seconds later I could feel his hands rubbing the muscles around my shoulder blade. Lord, I love my brother.

"I need it finished in a month."

"Nope, no way, can't be done, forget it." I said. I was not going to back down on this one.

"Oh come on, Kodes. You and Ty have done jobs like this before, and this one is really important."

"Mac, that was in the summer when we could work everyday!! We've got school now and you know Darry only lets me work on the weekends because of practice. Besides, I've a got two meets coming up this month." I couldn't believe it, how could Mac be so stupid??!!! Usually, building a bike take a little more than three weeks during the summer!!! How could he expect us to finish it in five weekends? This was going to be a living nightmare.

You confused yet? Let me introduce you to my two other hobbies. Number two is that I design and build custom motorcycles for Mac Carson and his shop "Carson Racing", along with Ty. Third hobby is we also drag race occasionally, but that's a secret. No one knows!! Ssshh!! Me and Ty are his only regular staff. Sometimes, if were falling behind on bike, he'll call in a favor from one of the mechanic shops and get some guys to help us finish on time. Even Soda and Steve have come in a couple times. That doesn't happen a lot though, and it's only during the school year that we ever need the extra help. I had a strong feeling that this was going to be one of those times.

I loved anything that had to do with cars. I guess it all came from Soda ever since he started working at the DX. Whenever I didn't have a swim meet and no one else was home, Darry would drop me off at the station where my brother and Steve would keep an eye on me. I knew Soda wouldn't mind, but I was afraid that Steve would get annoyed with me. Well, surprisingly enough, I think he liked having me around. I could never understand what went on between him and Pony because Steve and me got along just fine. I guess it's because he thinks of me as a real little sister. I can live with that.

Anyway, whenever the DX wasn't busy, they would teach me everything they knew about car mechanics. In a month, I had already learned how to replace a transmission in under five minutes. And you all wonder why I only have one girl friend. But, Sam's a tomboy too, so I guess that doesn't really count when you think about it. Soon, I got bored with cars and started to learn more about things like motorcycles and race cars. Needless to say, I fell in love. And that's how I met Ty and how I got to where I am today. I'm one of the luckiest kids in the world, I already found a job I love to do, and I'm damn good at it.

"Kody, it won't be so bad." Mac continued, already starting to beg. "Besides, I already said that we'd do it." Figures.

I sighed and grabbed my pad and pen which were conveniently sitting on the coffee table right in front of me. Good, because I really didn't want to move at the moment, my muscles were just starting to loosen up. I rested the pad against my knee and uncapped the pen.

"Specifics?"

"None. The owner wants a Kody Project."

"Really?" I asked, an eyebrow raised in surprise. Two-Bit claims that he taught the entire gang that little trick. Yeah, I learned how to do it before he did, I just never thought it was that "amazing". But, not part of the story. The Kody Projects is a special series of bikes that I design for Carson Racing. Usually, we build bikes for companies in major cities like Houston, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, and even up in Chicago. But, usually most of our orders are from Southwestern states. For company bikes we usually include their logo and anything else they want to see on their bike and have a Carson Racing insignia which has a rad picture of a biker riding a chopper.

But, every so often we get orders to build a bike for non-business deals like grand prizes for drag or street races. And several times a year we will build two to three bikes for big chopper shows were we get to show off our work and hopefully make a few sales. For jobs like that, Mac lets me do original designs from my head. Those are the most fun for me because I don't have any limitations and I totally get to boss Ty around the entire time!!! The most important part, duh!

The first original design I ever did was for a chopper show down in Houston. It took about a week to design and two months for me and Ty to build, but we reached the deadline. I had thought that this was just going to be another ordinary bike, but Mac had a surprise. Instead of putting on the Carson Racing logo, he had a new decal which had the same picture but the words 'The Kody Projects' around it. Thus, a new series was born. Of course, now it only takes me two days to design a custom bike. Out of the hundred bikes I've designed, about 25 have been KPs so it was kind of a rare thing.

(A/N: Totally stole the "Kody Project" thing from American Chopper. I love the idea that a fourteen year old kid designed his own bike and got it named after him and everything. Okay, I'm done.009)

"What's it for?" I asked, curiosity eating away at me like always.

"I'll tell you in the morning." Now, that got me interested. That means that this bike was for a race, probably drag. Mac knows that my brothers are usually home this late so he never talks about stuff like that on the phone. He knows that both me and Ty drag race, and he also knows that my brothers would kill me if they find out so he keeps it secret. Once, we almost got caught when Steve, the little jerk, was listening on the other phone in the kitchen. But, I found out and yelled at him before Mac spilled anything by accident. We've been careful ever since.

"Well, okay. I'll start a draft tonight and we can get the frame goin' tomorrow."

"What time you two comin' in?"

"Don't know, Ty's picking me up. But if were not there by ten, we're probably dead or in a ditch." He chuckled. I'm just playin', Ty's actually a pretty safe driver. He just has his moments...well, let's just say I learned that the seatbelt is my friend. Air bags too.

"Thank you, Kody."

"Night, Mac," I said, a content smile on my face, and hung up the phone. Despite our little spats now and again, Mac and I really were good friends. I was glad that I had him for a boss and not some bald, middle-aged shmuck who didn't give a damn about anything but money. A.k.a. Soda's boss.

I sighed and closed my eyes as Soda's fist continued to hit all the right spots. Since I was always coming home with pulled muscles after practice, he had sort of become an expert on how to get rid of the pain. Sooner or later, I was going to have to get up and finish dinner or I was going to drop off right then and there. But, considering how freakin' tired I was, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

"Water's boiling, Kody." Well, there went that plan. Damn you, Pony!!! I sighed and stood up, twisting and stretching to make my back crack. I opened the boxes of macaroni and dumped the noodles into the bubbling water. Tonight was unusually quite for a Friday night. Usually, most of the gang was over here tearing the living room apart, or some of the guys would go to the movies or something. But no, it was just me, Pony, and Soda. It was kind of weird.

After ten minutes, the water and noodles had finally been transformed into mac and cheese. I gave two bowls to the boys and set one of the kitchen table for myself. When I finished eating, I stuck the bowl in the sink and went to my room do get my drawing stuff. I had a notebook of graph paper and a pencil. It was about 8:30 when I started sketching the new bike.

At 9:45, I was a little more than halfway done. Ponyboy was already in his room reading and Soda was once again sprawled out on the couch, snoring. I was about ready to throw something at him, when Johnny came crashing through our front door. His clothes were slightly more torn up than usual and there was blood pouring from a large gash on his forehead. Soda jerked away from the noise, took one look at our friend in horror, and sat him down on the couch while I rushed to the bathroom to get the first aid kit.

No words needed to be said as I carefully cleaned and bandaged his cut. This had his father written all over it, and both Soda and I knew that Johnny never wanted to talk about his bad home life. As soon as I was finished and he was sure that everything was all right, Soda went to his and Pony's room to sleep in his bed since the couch would no longer be an option. I could tell that Johnny was pretty tired as well, especially if he ran all the way from his house. His head was drooping slightly and his eyes were half closed as we sat in the silence.

"You look beat," I said with a grin. "Why don't you go to my room and get some sleep. I'll take the couch." He looked hesitant.

"But I don't want to take your bed, Kody." I just shrugged as I stood up.

"Aw, don't worry about it. I still got some work to do tonight so I'm not turning in anytime soon. Besides, I'll probably just fall asleep at the table anyway." I offered him my hand and pulled him up off the couch. I gently pushed him down the hallway towards my room, made sure he was comfortable, and said goodnight before closing the door. I then headed into Darry's room and grabbed the extra blanket and pillow we kept in his closet.

The house was quiet and completely dark save for the small lamp above the kitchen table. Our neighborhood didn't have any street lights, so the only light from outside came from the moon and stars. It was peaceful, and yet....really, really creepy. I mean our house just isn't naturally this quiet. I dropped back down in my chair with a sigh and looked at the clock.

By now, it was ten, and I only had the wheels and fenders left to draw before I could start making the actual design. I probably wouldn't start that part until tomorrow night or Sunday. I leaned back in the chair, yawned, and rubbed the sleep from eyes. I guess practice took a lot more out of me than I thought. I picked up the notebook and looked at the drawing one more time. It could wait until the morning. I'd finish before Ty showed up.

I turned off the light and stumbled sleepily towards into the living room. As I kicked off my shoes, I pulled my inhaler out of my pants pocket and set it on the side table, right next to my head. I then collapsed on the couch with my pillow against the arm rest and buried myself in the huge, warm blanket. In less than five minutes, I was dead to the world.

A/N: That was long and boring!!! I hate first chapters!!! So annoying!!! So what did you think? This story worth continuing. Look, I've totally got writer's block for my other stories and this was just something to pass the time while I thought up new ideas. Well, tell me what you think. 009
Sign up to rate and review this story