Categories > Books > Outsiders > Baby Girl

Chapter Five

by Rebel009 0 reviews

Chapter 5

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Romance - Published: 2007-01-28 - Updated: 2007-01-29 - 2548 words

0Unrated
A/N: So sorry that I haven't updated in awhile. You see, my laptop broke and I have been computer less for over a month. Luckily, my birthday passed recently and my parents bought me another one. They told me it was also my christmas and high school graduation present, but who cares!!!! I can write again. Hope you like the chapter.

I don't own the Outsiders. I do however own Dakota and Tyler.

Chapter Five

DAKOTA'S POV

The truck stopped in front of the house and Darry stepped out of the driver's seat. Soda was next to him, my swim bag hanging from his shoulder. I was still in my swimsuit, covered only by my sweatpants and sweater jacket which was left unzipped. My hair was still damp, hanging around my shoulders and in front of my eyes.

My asthma attack was over, now I was experiencing the after effects. My head was throbbing as if I had a migraine, I could feel it pulsing right behind my eyes. My sore throat from this morning was amplified from the coughing and I could barely swallow let alone speak. But most of all, I was extremely...tired. My eyes were barely even half open.

Ponyboy was sitting next to me in the backseat, his arm wrapped tightly around my waist, pressing me into his side. My head was resting on his shoulder and his other hand was running through my hair, comfortingly. His very presence when I was in such a state always made the pain and exhaustion less severe. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was a twin thing.

Darry opened my door, looking at me with concern and sympathy. That always annoyed me for some reason. I mean, it wasn't like I was dying or anything, I was just tired. He picked me up in his arms and carried me into the house, something I would have normally protested against if I hadn't been too tired to move. He set me down in the hallway, kissed my forehead, and gently pushed me towards the bathroom. I closed the door, turned on the shower, and peeled off my wet clothes and suit as I waited for the water to warm. I stepped in and sighed as the water cascaded down my body and warmed me to the bone.

As I began washing the chlorine from my hair, I thought back to the events that had taken place. It wasn't the first time I had come close to a near death experience and it probably wouldn't be the last. I sighed and leaned against the tile wall, the water pounding against my back. At the rate I was going, it would be a miracle if I made it to 21.

I shut off the water, wrapped a towel around my body, and walked to my room. I dumped my swimming clothes into the hamper and dressed in jeans and a gray wife-beater. I pulled on Soda's red, plaid, flannel shirt, leaving it unbuttoned. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and put my inhaler in my pocket. I walked into the living room. Darry was sitting in his armchair, reading the newspaper. Pony was sitting at the table, finishing up some homework. Soda was sitting on the couch, watching TV. A yawn escaped my mouth and Soda looked over to me. He held out his arms.

"C'mere, Baby girl," he said. I trudged across the room sleepily, into my big brother's arms. He pulled me unto his lap and wrapped his arms around me, my head tucked underneath his chin. I closed my eyes and listened. I listened to the ticking of the clock, the rustling of the newspaper, the drone of the television set, the rhythm of Soda's heartbeat in time with his breathing. It wasn't long before I drifted off to sleep.

*******

When I woke up, the house was louder. That could only mean one thing. I peeked open one eye and stayed still so no one would notice that I was awake. My suspicions were confirmed when I saw Two-Bit on the floor, laughing manically at some stupid talk show. I mentally groaned and looked at the clock, seeing that it was nearly six. I had been asleep for five hours!!

Darry was in the kitchen making dinner, Pony was getting out the plates and silverware. Soda was now at the table with Steve, Dally, and Johnny, playing what I guess was poker since my brother was trying to sneak an ace out of his pocket. It was then that I realized that I was still lying in someone's lap, their arms wrapped around me like a warm blanket. Now, I know I'm a little slow when I first wake up, but I was fairly certain that Soda could not be in two places at the same time. I looked at my mystery pillow's arms and saw that they were tan , but not as tan as my own. I looked at his hands and recognized some small scrapes from tools.

I reached out and grabbed his hand gently, examining the watch that was so familiar. It was Tyler's. I must have startled him because he jumped slightly. He then sat up more so I was leaning against his chest and he started rubbing my side with the hand I wasn't holding. I let go and snuggled back into the warmth that Tyler provided, my eyes closing once more.

I was surprised how comfortable and safe I felt in Ty's arms. I had always felt safe when I was being hugged by one of my brother's, but with Ty, it just felt....different....better. I guess he had come over with the guys at some point and switched places with Soda. Hmm...I never noticed how strong Ty's arms were...............WAIT!!!!WHOA!!!!WHERE THE HECK DID THAT COME FROM???!!!! My eyes snapped open in horror and embarrassment. I did not just think that about Tyler Mackey, my best friend. Friend, Friend, Friend!!!! Man, I must be more tired than I thought.

I sat up and moved off Ty's lap to the other side of the couch. For a second, I could have sworn I saw a hurt look in his eyes, but I must have just imagined it. I mean, why would he care? Ty could have any girl he wanted. Even the Soc girls were throwing themselves at him in the halls at school. So why on earth would he want someone as low as me. Especially in that kind of way? Wait a minute! Why the heck do I even care?!!

I stood up and walked into the kitchen. I didn't care. I don't have romantic feelings for Tyler. We're just friends that work together. I pulled myself up on the counter and just watched everyone, my legs swinging a couple feet from the ground. Pony smiled and sat up on the counter next to me. His legs might be a little longer than mine, but when we're sitting, we still look the same height. Now, I know I've said that Pony and I don't look anything alike, and it's true. We are different. But, you can tell that we're twins, mainly by the way we act.

Most of the time, we're both pretty quiet. Well, Pony's quiet all the time, and sometimes I can get a little wild. And, we're both smart, straight-A's kids and everything. But, he's a better writer and I'm more street wise. Don't get me wrong, after Johnny got jumped, I've always been nervous around Socs. But, I think it's better for you to put up a fight and get the crap kicked out of you than to be a coward and get the crap kicked out of you because either way, it will involve the crap being kicked out of you, there's just no way around that. Besides, I don't want to live my life looking over my shoulder every time I'm alone.

Anyway, there were other similar things between Pony and me. We had the same smile, the same confused expression, identical scars in the corner of our right eyes from when we were born. But the one thing that we do that freaks Two-Bit out the most is that we say things at the exact same time or we can finish each other's sentences without even trying. It's almost as if we are always thinking the exact same thing and the same time, like twin ESP. Needless to say, we are the closest of anyone in the gang.

"Kody," Darry said, bringing me out of my thoughts. "Maybe we should get you to the doctor tomorrow. Just to make sure that everything's okay." I sighed and closed my eyes, my over-used attempt to find patience before I dealt with my overprotective big brother.

"Darry, I'm fine, I promise. I just had a relapse. It's happened before. No big deal."

Darry just looked at me, his arms crossed, his brow creased in thought. "I don't know. Your check up isn't for another two weeks and you've been having more attacks than normal."

"Even if you were right, we can't do it tomorrow. I have school and you can't afford to take another day off from work." Darry sighed, knowing that I was right.

"I could take her," came a voice from the living room. I looked over and saw Ty standing up, walking over to us. "I could take her after school."

I shook my head. "Ty, you don't need to do that."

"It's fine. I'm not doing anything tomorrow and Darry's right, you have been using your inhaler more often lately."

I sighed and shrugged my shoulders in defeat. "Alright, as long as you don't mind."


*********

Next Day

I stared at the clock as the final minutes of the day crawled by. My teacher was droning on about the civil war. The lights were off and the overhead was on, projecting a horrendous list of random data and facts. Half of the class was asleep, some in the nodding off process while others were dead to the world, complete with snoring and drool. The others in the room were attempting to entertain themselves by drawing on the desks, writing notes with colorful pens, or just staring into space. And then there were the rare few that were actually writing down the notes the teacher had on the overhead. I didn't do any of these. No, I usually watch other people to pass the time.

Finally, the bell rang, releasing us from the boredom from hell. My teacher turned off the overhead and turned on the lights, reminding us to read some chapter number on some page for tomorrow. I didn't care, I didn't even know where my history book was. Hmm...actually, I think I'm using it as a doorstop in my room. Oh well.

I pulled my backpack onto my shoulders and walked to the door, tapping the shoulders of those who had not yet been awakened from the bell or the commotion in the halls. It wasn't surprising that most of them were greasers. Some I recognized as boys from the Shepard gang or the Brumly boys. Others I didn't know personally, but greasers always looked out for each other. I didn't want anyone to get locked in the school by accident because they were still sleeping.

I opened my locker and threw in my books and spirals. I sighed and stretched my arms up, feeling the bones in my back and neck pop and grind. I let out a yawn and dropped my arms to my sides, shutting my locker door in the process. I turned and headed for the main exit when I saw Sam coming towards me. I smiled and waved, she hugged me and we walked together.

"So, how you feeling?" she asked.

"I'm all right. Just had a little accident that's all." I replied as we reached the doors. The wind assaulted our bodies and I could have sworn I was pushed back about two inches. There had been gale like winds all day and the school was so old that I was afraid the windows were going to give way at some point. Any leaves that had been left on the trees this late in November were now gone and the sky looked ready to pour rain in buckets.

"I don't know," Sam continued, trying to shield her face with her math book, "Maybe you should go to the doctor, just to be safe." Man, I was getting a lot of that lately.

I shivered and wrapped my arms tighter around my body. The only jacket I had was a worn, jean jacket that Darry grew out of when he was thirteen. It did nothing to ward off the cold, but it was better than nothing and I hadn't had the heart to tell my brothers tat I needed a new one. It had lasted me through several winters, a few more weren't going to kill me. If I ever found the money, I would buy one myself.

"I know, I'm going right now as soon as --"I was cut off by someone wrapping their arms around my waist and lifting me off the ground, spinning me around. I glared at my captor and finished, "Speak of the devil."

Tyler mocked a hurt face and shifted so I was resting on his hip as if I was a toddler. I hate it when the boys pick me up and Ty knows that, which is exactly why he does it. "Come on, Kodes, you know you love me."

"Not at the moment, I don't. Tyler, put me down!!" I said, pounding my fist on his shoulder. Sam was just laughing, doing nothing to solve my predicament. I love my friends...really. Ty relented and let me back down to my feet. "Jerk" I muttered. He smirked and grabbed me by the shoulders, leading me towards his truck.

"Alright, let's go. Your brothers will kill me if I don't get you to the doctor," he said. I rolled my eyes.

"You volunteered, genius." He grinned and shrugged. I shook my head and waved goodbye to Sam.

She returned the gesture and called out, "I'll call you tonight!!"

I nodded, "Okay!!"

We walked to the truck, avoiding the cars that nearly ran us over in their hurry to leave. I tried to open the door, but the wind was so strong that I had to use all of my weight to budge it. I flung myself into the seat, running a hand through my wind blown hair. I sighed in annoyance. This would be the one day that I decided to wear it down. I pulled off the hairtie I always kept on my wrist and pulled my hair into a messy ponytail. I then looked over at Tyler who had his key in the ignition.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Yep." He started the car and pulled out. It wasn't long before we were racing out of the parking lot, ten times faster than anyone else.

A/N: Hmm...a little shorter than normal, I know. But there was no where else to go really without making it too long. Will update soon. 009
Sign up to rate and review this story