Categories > Original > Fantasy > Book World, Real World

Book World, Real World

by fencergirl00 0 reviews

Three girls, three books, one world. What happens when you have three seemingly regular girls finding themselves in a world of fantasy...and peril? Warning: slightly dark, but still humorous.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-02-11 - Updated: 2007-02-11 - 1593 words

0Unrated
Wow! This is my first story on Ficwad! I hope you all like it!

Note: The story takes place in a sort of timeless setting, meaning that there is technology, but everyone uses swords and other types of Medieval weapons. Hopefully that will clear things up in the storyline.

__________________________________________________________

The three girls stood together, shaking in fear. They all looked around nervously, knowing their end was imminent. What was worse was that it was their own fault that they were going to die.

"I knew we shouldn't have trusted her. I knew it!" One of the three growled, her light green eyes flashing angrily. One of the other two shook her head sadly, her blue-grey eyes locked on the floor.

"It was my fault. I was the one who got us into this." She moaned, banging her head on the icy stone walls. The third of the three quickly grabbed the blue-grey eyed girl's golden blonde hair to stop her from giving herself a concussion.

"Stop it! What's done is done, there's nothing you can do!" She said angrily, her own brown eyes staring straight into her friends blue-grey ones. The latter sighed and nodded.

"You're right. There's nothing we can do about it now." She murmured. The three were silent for a while, until the door suddenly swung open. They stared in terror of the figure advancing into the room. He pulled a broadsword from his belt, saying "You're time of judgment has come, and you sentence is death." He swung his sword at the green eyed girl, as she cringed, waiting for the blow to connect. Except, it didn't come. She looked up fearfully to see her blue-grey eyed friend had taken the blow for her, and was lying dead on the floor. She gasped in surprise.

"No! Erika!" She cried. The Judge looked at the dead girl without pity.

"No matter. This will just prolong your misery." He said apathetically. He then turned to the brown eyed girl and swung his sword, leaving a gaping wound on her chest. She gasped in pain and crumpled to the floor, now also dead.

"Brooke! Why...why are you doing this?!" The last surviving girl demanded, terrified. The man grinned, looking almost demonic.

"Simple. You were the one to defy my master, Leah, so you must pay for your treachery." He lifted his sword to cut her in two as she waited for her life to end. She heard the sword slicing through the air and-

Leah woke up with a gasp, covered in a cold sweat. Her red hair was a tangled mess and her eyes were wide in terror. She heard a couple of startled cries as she looked around. She wasn't in an icy prison cell, but in a warm family room. The yellow-orange colored walls reassured her that it was all just a dream. She had fallen asleep on a comfy upholstered couch while watching a movie, again.

"Are you okay, Leah?" A concerned voice asked. She looked to her left to see a pair of concerned brown eyes looking at her, framed by golden blonde hair, while another pair of eyes, blue-grey this time, looked at her as well.

"Yeah...I'm fine, Brooke." She said, still getting over her shock. The brown eyes blinked as the look of concern faded. Brooke smiled as she looked over to the blue-grey eyed girl.

"See, told you she fell asleep." The latter of the two rolled her eyes and shook her head, her shoulder length hair flopping about.

"No, really," She said sarcastically, "as if the snoring wasn't clue enough."

"Erika, I don't snore!" Leah said, annoyed.

"Yeah, you do!" Her two best friends retorted simultaneously. They continued to argue this back and forth for a few minutes, then stopped as Brooke boredly got up to look at the bookshelf. She was never much of a reader, but she might as well read, since she had nothing better to do. It was winter break, and both Brooke and Leah had decided to come over to Erika's house, since they had two weeks vacation from school. None of the three were related, and yet they were closer than best friends; they were almost like sisters. Leah was the oldest at fourteen years of age, and was consequently the smartest and most responsible. Erika was in the middle of the three in age, being thirteen years old, and was smart as well, but not as smart as Leah. She was definitely more athletic, though, but also was a bit irresponsible. And then there was Brooke. While possibly being even more athletic than Erika, she was also the youngest at twelve years old, and also the most childish.
Leah was absorbed in her multi-use cell phone, using it to text message her friends, while Erika was reading, as usual. She almost never took her nose out of a book! Brooke was just looking over the titles of the books, occasionally laughing at some of them, when she just couldn't find anything that even seemed halfway interesting. 'Forget this. I'll just close my eyes and pick one.' She thought as she closed her eyes and ran her fingers along the books. A few moments later, she opened her eyes to find herself pointing to a big, leather-bound book.

"Hey Erika, is it okay if I take this book off the shelf?" She asked, just to make sure. Erika's mom collected antique books, some of which were said to be magic. All three girls' parents had magic, but the three themselves, strangely, did not. They'd all been tested, but nothing came from it, so they instead channeled their focus on weapons training. Well, they did until they all got in trouble for repeatedly breaking objects in the house. They then got their weapons taken away, so they had to find something else to occupy their time. However, since Erika's parents were out at that time, they had all decided to get their weapons back to practice. Erika had actually hugged her twin rapiers when she got them back! Brooke's weapons of choice were two fans that, when closed, turned into curving daggers, reminiscent of a winding river. Leah's were two broadswords that she wielded easily. They had been practicing for a while before they decided to stop and watch a movie, where things got to the way they are now.
Erika looked up from her book to see the one Brooke was holding. She had never taken the time to read that particular volume, so she didn't know anything about it except that it was pretty old.

"As long as your careful, Brooke. That thing's ancient!" She warned. Brooke nodded and pulled the book from the shelf, but the moment she did, she disappeared! Leah heard the book fall to the ground, and looked up from her cell phone finally.

"Brooke, you idiot! Erika said not to-" Leah cut herself off when she noticed that her friend had disappeared before their eyes. Erika was just staring, dumbstruck.

"Erika, what happened?" The former asked slowly. The latter just shook her head, bewildered.

"I'm...I'm not sure. I think the book is...magic." She got up to examine the book, as did Leah. For a moment they both stared, then they reached out and opened the book, instantly disappearing.

111111111000000000000001111111111111000000000000000011111111100000000000

Brooke found herself staring at the bookcase still, but something was off. The previously dark wood bookcase was a few shades lighter. She turned around to ask her friends what happened, but they were nowhere to be found.

"Leah? Erika?" She asked, but no one answered. Slightly scared, she turned back to the bookshelf to find one of the books missing: the book she had pulled. At that instant, both Leah and Erika appeared beside her. Erika blinked, confused.

"What the? We're still at my house! What the heck happened?" She asked, looking around in confusion. Leah was also looking around, but a sudden realization sparked in her eyes.

"We're not at your house, Erika." She said calmly. Her friend glanced back at her in confusion.

"What are you talking about? This is my house!"

"No, its not. Look at the bookcase. Its lighter than the one you own. And the walls, they are a darker orange than the walls at your house." Erika stared at the things Leah had pointed out in sheer amazement, exclaiming "Bloody hell! You're right!" Leah couldn't help but grin at the fact that she was the one who figured that out.

"Since this isn't your house, we must be in the world of the book!" Brooke said, finally catching on, then added "And I'm already bored. I'm going somewhere else. Bye!" She grabbed the next volume she saw and disappeared before either of the two others could stop her. Erika suddenly seemed thoughtful.

"Brooke actually has a point. This is boring, so I say forget this!" She said, and immediately pulled another book, disappearing also before Leah could protest.

"Gosh they're impulsive." She murmured, as a faint voice started whispering to her.

"Seems that you have a choice to make," it said, "you can either follow one of your friends, or follow their example." The voice startled Leah, but also made her think. 'Hmm...can't let them have all the fun, can I?' She thought, then went ahead and pulled the closest volume, disappearing. The voice hadn't disappeared, though. In fact, it had been watching the girls' every move.

"Perfect. They are falling right into my clutches. Just a matter of time now."
Sign up to rate and review this story