Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Bitter Sweetness

Bitter Sweetness

by Leandra_Roone 1 review

She's like ice cream...sweet and wonderful at first...but too much of her can make your head throb...

Category: Yu-Gi-Oh! - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Seto Kaiba - Published: 2007-02-26 - Updated: 2007-02-26 - 1040 words

1Insightful
I hope you all like this sory, because I worked really hard on it!

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu-gi-oh

- - -

Chapter 1: Headache

"But Seto! You said you would! Come on! Please?" Mokuba begged his older brother anxiously. He stared up at him with watering eyes and a quivering lip.

"I'm sorry, Mokuba, but I still have a lot of work to do. I'll leave work early tomorrow, I promise." Seto repeated his promise to his little brother again and continued work on his computer. He didn't want to look at Mokuba's face, it was too heartbreaking to have to tell him no and he hated the look he always got on his face.

Thanks, Seto. You let me down-again. That was what Seto thought the look meant and he hated it even more.

He heard Mokuba sigh and give up and felt his heart sink a little more. "I'm sorry Mokuba." he said again and then went back to work. Saying nothing, Mokuba took a seat in the black leather couch at the side of the room and pulled a video game out of his backpack. For a while, the only sounds in the room was Seto's typing and the music from Mokuba's game. Then there was a knock on the door.

"Come in." Seto said, not once taking his eyes off of the computer screen. The door opened and Roland stepped inside, a stack of papers in his hands. He placed them carefully on Seto's desk.
Seto stared at them and then up at Roland. "What are these?" he asked.

Roland sighed and wiped his forehead. "They're applications. You know, for the job openings. You wouldn't believe how many people want to work here."

"What? These are all application letters?" Seto asked, he didn't believe he had to go through all of them.

"Yes. They came in yesterday, but I didn't want to disturb you then. But you have to go through them and pick someone out by Tuesday at least." Roland informed him.

Seto furrowed his brow and sank back in his chair with a groan. Great. That's just another reason for me to stay at work. Mokuba's probably really mad at me right now.

He snuck a glance at his brother and caught him leaving the room, his game in hand. He sighed again. "Fine," he said, pulling the letters close to himself. "I'll have someone by Tuesday. But can you go check on Mokuba? I think he's a little upset."

Roland looked behind himself, saw that Mokuba was gone, and nodded. "Sure. See you later." and with that, he left the room.

As silence engulfed his office, Seto groaned and lowered his head into his hands. He had a headache. Actually, he'd had a headache for over two weeks now, he just never mentioned it to anyone; he didn't want to worry Roland or Mokuba unnecessarily. He groaned again and rubbed his forehead as more pain throbbed in his temples. It had become worse over the past few days, hitting him so hard that he would see stars once and a while.

Once the pain subsided a little, Seto flipped through the stack of applications that Roland had left him and skimmed over the words. "'Very good with computers', 'Great references', 'Previous experiences as a secretary'. Ugh!" he tossed away some of them with the back of his hand. They all sounded the same!

He sighed again and slowly lowered his head to rest on his desk. He was so sleepy. He had actually had a bad cold for over three weeks: his throat was sore, his body ached, he had a fever, and worst of all, he felt nauseated. His stomach gurgled unpleasantly and he swallowed hard to keep from throwing up. Not that he was really worried about it, there wasn't anything that he could throw up. He hadn't been eating right since he'd been sick.

And why didn't he go see a doctor, you might ask? He was too prideful to admit that he was sick. So he just tried his best to keep himself going.

Coughing, holding his stomach tenderly, Seto reorganized the remaining papers on his desk and wearily started to go through them again. If he had to pick someone, he might as well just do it know and get it over with.

After ten minutes, he had discarded over half of the stack of paper and was down to two. They both sounded promising and had exceptionally good references. Finally, he took the one in his right hand and placed it carefully in his briefcase. He simply tossed the other one into the trash can.

He would have to interview the person he had chosen later on. He hadn't even looked at the name on the top of the letter. Seto turned off his computer and rose uneasily to his feet. He instantly regretted it. His head started spinning and he started to sway. He braced himself against his desk and waited for the dizzy spell to pass. When it did, he rubbed his head and proceeded to pick up the papers he had scattered across the floor. He sighed and tossed them all into the trash.

Seto groaned as his stomach turned over again and forced the bile in his throat back down. Once his stomach had settled, he felt his head with the back of his hand and sighed. His fever hadn't gone down even a little since that morning. In fact, it had gotten worse. He was about to grab his briefcase and go find Mokuba to apologized when a piercing pain shot across his forehead. It lingered excruciatingly in his temples and then traveled around his head. He moaned and clutched his head as the pain grew worse. And just when he thought it was over, it came again, hitting him with so much horrible force that stars danced in front of his eyes, accompanied by red dots. He cried out and suddenly, he was falling. The room passed by in a blur and the ground rushed up to meet him in a painful swirl of colors.

And then he slept.

- - -

Aw! Poor Seto! I feel bad for him. Please tel me what you think!
Sign up to rate and review this story