Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Forty: Demon's Requiem

by Giroro5X 1 review

The battle for the Kun valley rages on, the guardians rising to stand against the Fire Nation. Amongst the chaos, a Demon dies.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-02-26 - Updated: 2007-02-27 - 4905 words

0Unrated



Roses of the Valley

Chapter Forty: Demon's Requiem



The general drew in a sharp breath, concentrating as he leapt from the wall. His feet pressed against its side, shifting against his heel as he gracefully landed at its base. With narrow eyes he kicked forward, a low groan sounding from the back of his throat as his movements grew tense.

The growl grew into a powerful yell, the earthbender shoving both hands forward as a huge section of earth buckled before him. With rigid posture he pushed it forward, the mass surging toward the Fire Nation reinforcements.

A loud clamor sounded from amongst the ranks, commanders ordering their soldiers to dodge as a pair of unfortunate units got caught in the technique's path. They flailed their arms wildly as they were hurled upward, their komodo rhinos releasing a confused whimper.

Atop the wall the earthbenders followed their superior's example, rushing to the far side.

"Take out as many as you can!" Norio lashed his arm out toward the enemy, the pause in their barrage providing them a considerable opportunity. What few firebenders remained struck their hands out, streams of flame slipping through the air toward their targets.

A pair of earthbenders howled with anguish as fire clung to their armor, swatting wildly to put it out. Those aware enough to regard the remains of the initial invading force as hazardous moved quickly to dodge their attacks, leaping from the side of the wall.

Feng lifted his blade, pointing it skyward to keep the other riders at bay. He glared as he watched the advancing Fire Nation forces, holding back his troops with the knowledge that their interference would only hinder whatever advantage distance would provide the Earth Kingdom forces.

Gang gripped the reins of his steed excitedly, Boots sensing his master's excitement. The beast pawed impatiently at the ground, releasing an eager growl.

Taking to Aiguo's side the general entered into a fierce combination of strikes, guiding the earth with the distant hope of reducing the enemy's numbers just enough to give them a fighting chance.

Thin columns of rock sprang from the ground before the Fire Nation forces, the power of each strike knocking those who fell victim to it back with enough strength to force those in their path back. The technique hindered their pace, the soldiers bobbing from side to side in the hopes of evading the pillars.

The lieutenant mimicked his superior's movements, panic fluttering within him as he watched the war rhinos butt through their attempt. In the wake of each were eager soldiers, brandishing their weapons as they drew nearer.

A pitiful cry escaped one of the rhinos, flailing wildly as a bolt of lightning stabbed into throat. Its rider gripped the reins helplessly, the wild bucking casting him from the safety of his harness.

With a determined stare Bo stood far to the left of the other warriors, his fingers still rigid as he breathed deep. Slowly his hand moved to the left, flowing to the right as a blue spark formed over his fingertips.

Sweat coursed over the earthbender's bodies, their stances wide as their arms moved quickly to launch volleys of rock. Investing confidence in the thickness of the wall they had formed, some drew their resources from its face.

"Almost," Enlai's fingers clutched the glaive tightly, unblinking as he watched the incoming forces.

"Riders!" his partner yelled loudly, gripping the hilt of his blade.

They brandished their weapons, their beasts calling loudly as they unconsciously tugged at the reins.

Seung brought his palm up to the other earthbenders, calling them to pause as the Fire Nation forces came within the proper range for melee engagement. Casting boulders upon them at this point would endanger friendly forces.

His eyes narrowed, a thin film of sweat coating his face as he searched the enemy forces for the admiral. Realizing him to be absent he cursed inwardly. Kano had indeed journeyed to Bai-Jing, leaving enough forces for the general to deal with that he would be unable to engage him personally.

Resolving to end the battle quickly and aid those defending the village, he dropped to a knee. His fists plunged deep into the soil beneath him, stone gauntlets coating his arms as he drew them out.

"Attack!" The sword cut through the air, stopping precisely as it pointed toward the nearing enemy troops. His feet kicked hard against his steed's sides, the creature howling readily as it charged forward.

Ferocious cries sounded out from both sides, the loudest belonging to a belligerent bodyguard as he grinned toward the chaos, his komodo rhino springing forward.



"Looks like I got here just in time for some fun," Ryoko grinned, rising to face the soldiers before her.

The soldiers clutched their weapons, several firebenders shifting into position as they prepared to obliterate the stubborn opponents.

The woman warrior gave them no opportunity for such, her fist rising as she launched forward. It slammed hard against the jaw of a soldier, turning to grasp the helmet of another. Pushing his head to the ground she lifted her knee, the firebender's mask cracking against the force of the blow. Grasping him by the back of the armor she hurled him back, her left arm lifting to block the overhead chop of a soldier's axe.

Wen Lan took immediately to defending her savior, rushing forward. Her left hand grasped a spear aimed toward the stranger's back, her right palm breaking the weapon at the base of the blade. Spinning quickly she lashed her leg out, her foot kicking hard against the soldier's neck.

Ryoko grinned, impressed by the child's tenacity. Grasping the base of her attacker's axe she tore it from his hands, smacking the flat side of it to his temple. Stepping forward she continued slamming the broad side against the heads of those who approached her, dropping it only after the handle snapped against a particularly thick skulled foe.

He smirked, finding himself grateful for the constitution of his head as he lifted his spear to stab her.

With little forethought the warrior stepped in, crouching slightly as she lifted her right arm between the soldier's legs. Her left hand clasped his armor just above the chest, her body twisting as she lifted the opponent into the air. Without pause she brought him over her shoulder and slammed him headfirst against the ground, her leg kicking out to discourage a firebender's advance.

Wen Lan's hands flew as she stepped back, each movement diverting another attack. Breaking the pace of her retreat she stepped forward, her fist extending into the throat of an assailant. Her right arm slipped beneath his, ducking behind him as a wave of fire shot toward her. Lifting her foot back she kicked him toward the firebender. With a graceful leap she brought her feet up, knocking back a pair of soldiers.

The two teenagers spun quickly, their backs pressed firmly against one another as they fought against the forces that had surrounded them. Shui's arms lifted to deflect each attack, wincing as he felt the burns begin to take their toll. Yakone served as the offensive fighter of the pair, his hands moving fluidly as he guided the water whip against the soldiers.

"Hey, see that jar over there?" The waterbender's eyes remained fixed upon it, breaking only as he faced away with each spin.

"Which?" Shui's eyes darted from side to side, struggling to balance searching with defending.

"The one on the roof!" Yakone nodded toward it as they exchanged places once again.

"Which roof?" He winced as he thrust his palm against an incoming stream of fire.

"The one right there!" His hands moved quickly, the stream of water smacking against a soldier's face.

"What about it?" the firebender growled lowly, maintaining their safety.

"Get me over to it!"

"How?!"

"I don't know; distract them!" he guessed as he reared back, hands whipping forward as the water pushed hard against the chest of a firebender.

Grumbling lowly Shui broke the rotation, launching forward. Stopping before a firebender he turned his upper body, his right palm thrusting hard against his stomach. Each step offered another deflection, followed immediately by a counter. Step by step he pressed toward the building, the soldiers swarming around them.

Water burst from the second water skin, Yakone struggling to keep the forces approaching from the rear at bay. At intervals he glanced back, becoming more impatient as they drew closer.

Ryoko cackled, reveling in the fight. It had been years since she had fought so many Fire Nation soldiers at once, wondering if the Kun valley had always offered so much excitement. The inquiry passed calmly through her head as she spun, her hands firmly gripping a firebender by the armor. Using him as a weapon to knock back his allies, she relieved him of his role by throwing him toward a clustered group of his allies.

Wen Lan felt a gentle surge of pain, the wound on her back reminding her of its presence. Stepping to the side she evaded a sword stabbing through the air, stepping back into a stance as her elbow landed squarely against its owner's gut. With another turn she lifted her foot skyward, drawing in a sharp breath just before it cut down through the air. It landed squarely upon a firebender's head, his body falling hard against the ground beneath its force. Her body moved quickly, pushing herself just as she had against Gousaru. The fight had served her well now, the soldier's speed and power nothing compared to that of the spirit of levity and mischief. She moved from soldier to soldier, her hands and feet moving rapidly to defeat one after another.

"Now!" Ryoko called out as her fist shot up against the jaw of a firebender in a powerful uppercut. Victoriously she planted her foot upon his defeated head, dusting her hands as another group of soldiers formed around her. "Which one of you'll be a challenge," she trailed off, paying little head to the soldiers gathering around her.

Her gaze stopped upon the unit leader, barking furiously from atop his komodo rhino. The corner of her mouth lifted into a smirk.

"You look important," she muttered, tilting her head to the side as it released a loud cracking noise.



Gang thrust his arm out, a blaze of flame erupting from his fist as Boots plowed through clusters of the enemy. Where one would guide their steed carefully to dodge the stings offered by the opponent, the firebender pursued a different strategy; his arms pumped wildly, striking to attack each opponent before they could render any harm upon him.

Aiguo lifted his feet slightly, landing in a firm stance as a thin sheet of rock rose before him to deflect a large blast of fire. Smashing his palm against it he launched it forward, the slab of earth pushing hard against those in its path.

The Gouishi riders struck valiantly against the Fire Nation soldiers, cries of anguish sounding out as some fell victim to the invaders.

Enlai summoned no grin or observation, functioning solely off of survival instinct. His glaive sliced hard through the air as he spun it, its edge cutting deep into the torsos of various firebenders as his komodo rhino stormed past them.

Feng traced his hand at the base of his steed's horn, whispering gentle words of reassurance as he crouched atop the saddle. Guiding it toward a path ripe with soldiers to trample he launched himself from the harness. His sword slipped quickly through the air, the movement of the metal singing against the cries of battle as he landed in a crouching position. Thrusting forward he cut away the spears of those perched to strike him, another whip of the weapon delivering their defeat. Turning rapidly he rushed into the fray, his sword never ceasing its dance.

The old firebender summoned lightning for as long as the enemy would allow, ceasing only as the invading forces drew close enough to strike. His swiftness contradicted his age, his body shifting from side to side as he dodged a steady advance of attacks. With simple graceful movements he knocked each soldier aside, using their own force against them. Flames washed harmlessly against his palms as they moved to silence each firebender's offense.

Kano had threatened all who lived peacefully in the valley, yet had made the matter more personal for the general. Where others acted with a precision and strength that training and experience had granted them, something else accompanied Seung.

There was anger in his movements. A frustration at himself for falling victim to the admiral's scheme weighed at his muscles, his face stern as he felled soldier after soldier.

The promise he had made to protect the valley resonated within him as he stomped against the ground, a boulder lifting before him. His fist pounded hard against it, launching it toward a path of incoming firebenders.

The sadistic grin of Kazuki passed through his thoughts, his hands tensing as he twisted his body to the left, hand darting forward. The ground beneath a nearby squad shifted, taking them off of their feet.

Eyes wide, there was a slight catch in his breath as he recalled the sensation of Xiu pressed against him, pleading with him to promise his safe return.

Unconsciously his anger calmed, his awareness of the battleground increasing considerably as the rage that coated his energy melted away. Widening his stance he offered his palms to the sky repeatedly, thick columns of rock shooting up against the bellies of multiple komodo rhinos.

The soldiers and guards of Chin-Hwa fought beside one another, the training that Gang had forced upon them becoming evident as they tore skillfully through the Fire Nation forces with impressively low casualties.

Seung's attention darted back quickly, recognizing the sound of buckling earth in a location he had not anticipated.

The arrival of the Fire Nation reinforcements had inspired a slight panic, some of the earthbenders pulling from the wall they had formed to launch further attacks. The sections they had drawn rock from stood weakened; buckling now as the last remaining komodo rhino within the confines of the trap slammed its horn against it.

Turning a moment too late, the beast burst through the wall. A wide hole formed, the Fire Nation forces pouring out in an attempt to aid the reinforcements.

Norio emerged from their cage, glaring as he surveyed the battleground.



Wen Lan stood at the center of the street, soldiers gathered around her. Minor cuts and bruises decorated her body, a long thin scar stretching over her back.

The troops dispatched to the village had been heavily decimated, the majority of them lying unconscious among the street as a few squads remained to complete their goal.

"There!" Yakone grinned excitedly, his palms shooting in the direction of the jar.

Shui struck his left hand against the shaft of a spear approaching from the same side, his body turning to the left as his right hand bathed the attacker in a pillar of flame. Spinning quickly he struck his leg out, a wave of fire pushing them back.

The jar turned slightly, shifting as the water within it stirred. The liquid erupted from its mouth, darting quickly through the air before stopping over the waterbender's arm.

Yakone turned to face the soldiers, grinning as he felt the balance of power shift.

The firebender stood beside him, taking his stance as he glared forward.

Unable to subdue the two prior to their gain in resources, the soldiers stood uneasily.

In unison the two teenagers launched forward, fire and water slipping through the air as it dominated those in their path.

"What are you doing!?" the leader barked from atop the komodo rhino, eyes wide with horror as he wondered how the admiral would greet failure at the hands of four civilians.

"You're loud," a voice sound out from behind him.

Without a thought he turned, his fist thrusting instinctively toward the voice.

Ryoko crouched upon the back of the saddle, her shield moving to swat his attack aside.

Refusing to pause for fear that it would provide her the opportunity to strike, his fists darted forward in a rapid combination of punches and firebending techniques.

The warrior smirked as she smacked aside each attempt; falling to her knees and leaning back to evade an intense stream of fire.

He brought his fist back, punching it forward as the air before his knuckles grew hot.

In one powerful motion Ryoko swung her right foot to the side, slamming it against the inner section of his elbow. Her right hand shot up, grasping his misguided hand before twisting it hard.

A loud cracking noise carried through the air, his eyes growing wide as intense pain surged through his body.

Sitting up, her left hand grasped the back of his armor. With a satisfied grin she leapt from of the saddle, pulling the leader with her.

A mix of pain and fear ran through him, barely mustering the hope that he would survive the encounter as his face slammed hard against the ground. Consciousness escaped him, his body lying limp before her.

Ryoko smirked as she stood, dusting herself off. She peered curiously toward the young noble, soldiers still gathered to overpower her.

Wen Lan glanced back quickly, her right hand darting up to strike the throat of an attacker upon observing his approach. Leaning her head back she dodged a sudden blast of fire, her right hand clasping the wrist of the bender who had summoned it. Her right foot lifted, kicking hard against his gut. With a quick pivot of the opposite leg she continued her assault, the right leg hitting hard against a soldier's neck.

A horizontal slash missed her, the noble bending back to escape it. Composing herself quickly she thrust a quick exchange of palm strikes against his side, her left hand cutting swiftly to the opposite side to punch another assailant.

She quickly reassessed the situation, eyes going wide as she realized the reality that lay before her.

In front of her stood one soldier, the last remaining member of the unit dispatched to devastate Bai-Jing.

Ryoko folded her arms, watching with a curious grin.

Shui and Yakone stood poised over the squad they had defeated, the ground moist and scorched.

Panic gripped the soldier, barely able to hold the blade in his hand as he looked out over his defeated comrades. Drawing in whatever courage he could muster, he looked toward the girl that stood against them.

Maintaining her stance, Wen Lan narrowed her eyes slightly.

Yelling loudly he rushed toward her, swinging the sword over his head to build momentum.

The young noble stepped in, her left palm darting up to strike his wrist. Disrupting his advance, she slammed the right hard into his throat.

The soldier stood for a moment before dropping to the ground, the sword falling harmlessly against the street.

Breathing out, Wen Lan offered a gentle smile. Looking toward the two teenagers she offered a relieved nod, taking pride in their victory.

Shui nodded slowly in an attempt to appear reserved, unable to conceal the feeling the result had inspired in him as the corner of his mouth lifted into a smile.

Yakone folded his arms, smirking as he looked out over those they had defeated.

"Good times," Ryoko grinned, laughing merrily. Stepping to Wen Lan's side she offered a complimentary pat to the back, her palm slapping hard against the young noble's scar.

She winced slightly, eyes wide as she smiled at the stranger's gesture. She had little idea as to the identity of the warrior, yet could not deny that she had played a pivotal role in the fight.

Within a moment the confident reassurance their victory had offered her passed, overwhelmed by the uncertainty of battle. She stared worriedly toward the distant village entrance, hoping silently for the safety of her love.



Seung's mind raced as he tried to develop a proper course of action.

Despite the skill of those under his command the Fire Nation reinforcements still outnumbered them. The primary force had been rendered minimal, yet could still be potentially devastating from the rear.

He held a solid advantage over the other soldiers in terms of earthbending talent, confident that his skills would be better used against the secondary forces. His gaze turned quickly to the far side of the wall, realizing the best course of action.

"Bo!" the general called out, dodging a firebender's attack before smashing the palm of his stone gauntlet against his jaw.

The old firebender turned quickly, his squad advancing beyond him.

Seung lifted his hand to motion toward what remained of Norio's unit, his mouth opening to order the firebender's squad to deal with them. Before he had muttered the very beginnings of a noise he felt the ground shift beneath him, pushing him back.

Bo felt the very same, startled as he found himself pushed just out of range of the wall.

Norio's group had not made it far from the trap, the hole the komodo rhino had formed too small to allow a quick escape.

Aiguo stepped out of his stance, grateful that he had pushed his allies out of harm's way.

Staring, the general rose quickly as his lieutenant hurried toward the enemy.

Realizing the scenario before him Bo stood, slipping quickly into a stance as he prepared to cast a bolt of lightning toward the Fire Nation forces. The blade of a soldier interrupted his efforts, the edge of the sword cutting hard against his arm.

The soldier lifted the sword to finish the traitorous firebender, the attempt interrupted as Bo lifted the wounded arm to his attacker's stomach, a stream of fire consuming him.

Drawing his arms back slightly the lieutenant leapt, his gaze fixed upon Norio.

Kano's subordinate reared back, entering into a firebending stance.

Seung's eyes grew wide.

Norio punched forward, an intense burst of flame washing over the earthbender.

Aiguo clenched his teeth as he felt his skin tighten, pain consuming his flesh as he neared the ground. His feet pressed hard against the earth as he landed, his fists pushing up toward the enemy and stopping just before his face.

A brief wave of relief passed through Norio, the earthbender's resilience having astonished him.

The lieutenant pulled his fists to the ground forcefully.

Two Fire Nation soldiers rushed forward, their spears plunging into Aiguo's torso.

Bo rose back to his feet, the soldier's attack having delayed him too long to stop the lieutenant's attempt.

"Aiguo," Seung whispered, staring.

Norio watched the attacker curiously, his eyebrow rising as he noticed a peculiar grin amongst the burn wounds.

With a gentle serenity the lieutenant looked up at the enemy who shared his rank, his smile calm.

The firebender's eyes went wide as he realized what had happened, making no effort to escape it.

A wordless conversation passed between the two as the earthen wall behind the initial invading force rained down upon them.

"Well played," Norio complimented silently.

"Thank you," Aiguo offered with a simple nod of the head, blood trailing from his mouth.

Bo closed his eyes, his face looking angrily toward the ground as the wall buried the soldiers and the pair of lieutenants.

It did not take long for the general to collect himself, his teeth clenching as he watched the final bits of rock fall upon the large mound of stone and soil.

Where one would expect the anger to return to his body, Seung felt none. Where one would search for rage, he knew only determination. He had sworn that the battle with Kano would end that day, his resolve galvanized by what lay before him.

A firebender rushed him from behind, entering into a powerful stance.

The general turned quickly, his foot slamming upon the ground as he punched a fist out.

The earth before the firebender rose against his chest, launching him back into an unsuspecting cluster of soldiers.

Bo rose to his feet, turning his attention toward the chaos that lay ahead. Taking his stance once more his finger motioned to his left, moving carefully through the air as a white hot spark formed over his fingertips.

Seung marched forward, eyes narrow as he faced the reinforcements; the last remaining obstacle between him and the admiral.



A demon born of war.

Of chaos and rage, rebelling against all who propagated it with no favor for either side.

Respected, feared and renowned.

A demon whose weakness was not to be found on the blade's edge, nor in the bender's gaze. He could be wounded, scarred and burned yet never killed. Each time he would rise from it, stained in blood and fury.

A weakness not in hand but in heart.

Not in poison but tea.

Not in hatred but love.

A woman had come to the valley. Cast out by her nation for seeking peace. Exiled for desiring a less violent end to that which plagued the world.

She gave him tea and stories. She gave him kind words and companionship. She gave him hope that he was not alone in his stand against war.

Different in method yet same in ideal, he trusted her.

It was then that the Demon of War made the greatest mistake; a mistake that would render him mortal, weaken him.

He offered her his name.

With each mention of it, he became a husk of what he once was. With the touch of her lips to his, the husk nearly crumbled and faded to the wind. Pride was the only force left to bind the pieces together.

He chose neither the Fire Nation nor the Earth Kingdom, but rather the Kun valley. He chose Bai-Jing, his strength slipping beyond reach.

All these things had weakened him, rendered him a dying mortal.

Though a demon's feast is purity's bane, the reverse is equally true. That which the Demon loathed, that which cut deeper than any blade ever would, nourished another power.

What was once rendered a fledgling hope had grown, nurtured by tea and stories. In love it grew strong enough to stand; in standing for Bai-Jing it took flight. With every utterance of its name it flew higher, escaping horizons it had never been able to see prior.

It nested cautiously, realizing that though its may have surpassed the Demon's even at its strongest, the Demon was still important; integral. It would wait in the light, basking in the love and friendship it had come to know; drawing strength from the determination to protect that which it had come to admire.

When the time had finally arrived, it rose without hesitation to take the Demon's place.



Beneath the morning sun and surrounded by roses, the Demon of War had died.

"Hmm," Kano smirked with amusement. "I suppo-" his voice stopped suddenly.

The warrior burst forth from the fire, his gaze fixed hatefully upon the admiral. His body demonstrated minor burns, moving with undaunted speed.

The admiral smiled gleefully, sliding into a stance as he opened his mouth to make further conversation with his opponent. The words escaped him, the firebender freezing up for an instant.

His mask was gone, the shield that had covered his right forearm stripped away. Where the admiral had anticipated a look of aggravation and panic, he was greeted with a set of piercing eyes. They offered no such satisfaction, nothing the admiral could take pride or pleasure in. Their anger and confidence conveyed a simple truth; that Kano would die at his hands.

In the one moment the firebender's body had betrayed him the warrior was given all that he would need.

His fist smashed hard against the admiral's jaw, offering no pause as his left hand punched up hard in an uppercut. The arm sank quickly to the side, the shield slamming against Kano's head as he delivered a powerful back fist.

Staggering back, the firebender launched his fist forward as a huge spiral of fire tore from his knuckles.

The warrior clasped his left hand over his opponent's wrist, pulling him toward him before slamming his forehead down upon the center of his face.

Clutching his nose he stared hard at the ground, glaring. Motioning to dodge back he felt a powerful weight press down upon the back of his head, the warrior swinging both fists down upon him.

Pulling himself away from the ground Kano staggered, sucking in wind as he attempted to regain his composure. Blood stained his face as he glared, rage flowing beneath his skin with unprecedented intensity.

"You're annoying me Demon," he warned with a low growl, entering into the stance that would summon his trademark dragon.

"Jung." The warrior's gaze maintained its subtle ferocity, his voice low but calm as he approached his enemy.

"What?" he growled, caring little for riddles or foolishness. He wanted to kill the Demon of War in the most painful way fathomable; nothing less would be permissible. His hands waved quickly, the fire dragon coiling around him.

"My name," his voice tensed as he brought his fist back, his pace building as he broke into a rush. "Is Jung!"

Beneath the morning sun and surrounded by roses, the Demon of War had died.

In his place stood Jung, reborn.
Sign up to rate and review this story