Categories > Books > Phantom of the Opera > The Deadly Feeling

Chapter Six

by Phantom_Reader 0 reviews

Erik is suspicious, Christine fears that she's been discovered, Raoul is missing, and Meg has a secret.

Category: Phantom of the Opera - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Erik, Raoul, Other - Warnings: [!!] [?] [V] - Published: 2007-03-17 - Updated: 2007-03-17 - 1140 words

0Unrated
Later that afternoon, after my music lesson, Erik and I sat down for lunch. But I could not eat, because when I thought of what I saw this morning, I would get a knot in my stomach. I just could not stop thinking of that lasso! That thought of it harming Raoul stuck in my mind like gum to the bottom of a shoe. "Christine?" Erik asked, trying to get my attention. I looked up. "Yes, Erik?" I asked, trying to read his face. "You've haven't said a word since we sat down, is there something on your mind? Perhaps you'd like to talk to me about it?" he said, reaching across the table to take my hand.

"No, thank you." I replied, getting up. "If I need anything, I'll ask, okay?" I said smiling and patting his hand, before leaving the room.

That night, before going to bed, I got a pen and some paper and wrote a note, asking help from my best friend. Here's what I wrote...

To my dear friend Meg,

I write to you now for I need help and advice. Tell me, what would you do if you thought you loved someone once, only to find out you truly love someone else? Please send me an answer soon for I'm so lost...

Christine

The next morning, I asked Erik if I may go up to deliver my letter to Meg. Luckily, to my surprise and great relief, he allowed me to go. When I got up there, I immediately rushed to the clump of dressing rooms where the ballerinas got ready for the operas. "Meg!" I cried out when I saw her. "Christine!" she called back as we ran to embrace each other. "Oh, Christine!" she said. I've missed you so much! How have you been? The Opera hasn't been the same since you left."

"Well," I said, as we sat down. "That's one reason why I came to see you."



After I talked with Meg, and gave her my letter (I didn't dare discuss my problem out loud, for fear of Erik hearing us.) I went back down to the house on the lake.

"Good afternoon, Christine." Erik greeted me with a small smile. "How is Meg doing?" (I always knew Erik had a soft spot for her.)

"She's in good health and good spirits. She has the lead dancing role and a small singing part in the next opera."

"Well good for her!" Erik beamed; I wondered why he was so happy this afternoon. I was just about to leave the room when Erik asked. "Christine, why have you been waking up so early lately?" He sounded concerned, but I wasn't sure.

"I just like waking up early in the morning." I answered. (I know it was a stupid response, but I couldn't think of any thing else at the moment.) I turned my back to him and started to go when Erik said something that made me stop in my tracks.

"Christine, I may not have known you long, but I've know you long enough to know when you're not telling the truth. You've never liked getting up early, why start now?" I bit my lip and kept quiet. Then he continued; his voice sounding cold. "Very well, if you're not going to answer, then I will supply the answer for you. It's because you've been seeing that Viscount of yours!"

"W-what are you talking about, Erik? You know Raoul and I haven't spoken in months. Why, he has probably forgotten all about me!" I said, trying to sound calm, but my heart was trembling in fear as I heard him get up from his desk. With each footstep closer, I could feel my heart pounding, louder each step, until he was right behind me. I could then hear him whisper into my ear as he tightly gripped my shoulders. "What do you take me for, Christine? A fool? Don't think I didn't hear you and that boy making plans to run away from here!" He gripped my shoulders tighter, his fingernails digging into my skin.

"Erik!" I screamed. "Stop it! You're hurting me!" But he ignored my plea and went on.

"And don't think you'll ever see him again! For I'm sure he won't be coming back for a long, long time. Unless..." He trailed off.

"Unless what?" I asked; my voice in a frightened whisper.

"Unless you know how to bring people back from the dead." He answered wickedly.

"No... He can't be..." I couldn't bring myself to say it. Then a thought came to mind. "How do I know you're not lying?" I asked, turning to look at him, tears welling up in my eyes, but he wasn't behind me. Instead he was standing by the doorway of my bedroom looking in.

Then he said. "If you don't believe me, come see for yourself." Slowly, I walked over to Erik's side, unsure of whether I wanted to see what was in there. When I got there I gasped as I walked into the room. The whole place was trashed! There were books and things all over the floor, the mirror on my vanity was shattered, the quilt on my bed was torn and there were blood stains on the furniture and the rug. But the thing that frightened me the most was that there, lying by my window was the noose!

I nearly fainted when I saw it, but instead I turned to Erik still standing in the doorway and slapped him as hard as I could. "HOW COULD YOU?!?!" I screamed and then he grabbed me and pushed me up against the door, hurting my back terribly. He was furious!

"Do you want to know what betrayal feels like?" He asked angrily, as I crumpled to the floor. "LIKE THIS!!!" He shouted as I tried to get up, but he slapped me hard, sending me to the floor with a loud "thud!" That really got me angry, so I pick up a book lying near by and threw it at him. He staggered back as the object hit him square on the forehead. Cursing, he started toward me, anger flashing in his eyes, but I was too fast for him. I slammed the door in his face and locked it; the tears I had been holding back came forth, streaming down my cheeks, as I got up and threw myself on my bed, sobbing loudly. My cheek throbbed from where Erik had hit me and my back ached, but the thing I cried the most about was the loss of my beloved Raoul. I knew that without him, I was going to be miserable the rest of my days. At the thought of Raoul's death, my heart shattered into a thousand pieces just like my vanity mirror.
Sign up to rate and review this story