Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Dumbledore's Army

The Sextet in Conference

by DrT 0 reviews

A Sixth year (pre-HBP) story: Harry decides the best way to fight back is to take the DA to the next level. He succeeds better than he thought he would. In this chapter, the Sextet talk things ou...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Ginny, Harry, Hermione, Luna, Neville, Ron - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2007-03-22 - Updated: 2007-03-22 - 3447 words

5Original
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters, ideas, and situations created by JK Rowling and owned by her and her publishers. I own the original elements & characters. No money is being made by me, and no trademark or copyright infringement is intended.



Chapter 06

There were five chairs arranged in front of one. Harry was standing in front of a window, with his back to the room. After they had shuffled in, Harry turned. He gave them a very wan smile. "Part of me is very happy you're all here, and part of me wished none of you were."

"What do you want from us, Harry?" Ron asked. "A blood oath? Hermione can probably cook one up that will make the DA oath look like a child's prank."

"No," Harry answered, talking over the shocked noises of the other four, "Nothing like that. Either we, well, either we love and trust each other, or we don't. No oath can strengthen that; it can only punish us if we fail."

The other five went silent. This was not the angry Harry of the year before. Each was certain that the anger was just under the surface, but that surface was more polished at the moment. More than that, there was something different about Harry's demeanor. It reminded them all more than a little of Dumbledore at his most serious.

"First of all, I have to tell you that the Prophecy wasn't entirely lost, only the official memory of the Prophecy. I'm not going over the details, but there is one important feature of the Prophecy that you do have to know about. This is the first thing that has to be kept secret. Alright?"

All five nodded their heads. Luna and Ginny sat, then the others did as well. Harry leaned on the back of his chair to speak with them.

"I am predicted to be the one who faces down Voldemort. There are only three possible outcomes. He will die, I will die, or we both shall die. He has to find a way to challenge me again. The longer he puts it off, the more powerful I will be, and the better chance that he will lose."

All five students looked shocked, the three girls looked almost ready to cry.

"That's horrible, Harry," Neville said. "That's a heck of a burden."

"It is," Harry acknowledged. "I've just started to come to terms with the knowledge I have to kill or be killed."

"Now," Harry continued, cutting them all off (except Luna, who merely sat quietly, watching him, her eyes seemingly even larger than usual), "Voldemort no doubt has you each marked for kidnaping and torture, and probably your families as well. He will capture and torture them to get to you, and then torture you to get to me. The only way you can hope for that not to happen to you and your families is to leave after Wednesday and pretend once the school year starts that you hate me, or at least dislike me."

"Do you really think we would do that?" Ron demanded.

"No," Harry admitted. "It would be the sensible thing to do, but none of us, not even Hermione, have ever acted that sensibly."

"Do you really think our turning on you, even if it was for real, would stop Voldemort from going after us and ours?" Hermione asked.

"Well, it would at least lower the probability a little," Harry said. "It would turn his attention elsewhere."

"I won't lie to you, Harry," Neville said slowly, "the whole idea, well, it scares me more than I can say. And if this was just between you and . . . Him, well, maybe I would be tempted to stand aside. But it's not. What you're really saying is, in case you don't realize it, is that we have the choice of facing Him now, when you might be able to beat him, or facing Him when He can't be stopped. So, I prefer to get it over with and have a chance."

"I let you down once, Harry," Ron said quietly. "I won't again."

"Alright," Harry said. "I suppose that's how you all feel?"

They nodded. "Then I won't try and stop you," Harry said. "This is a war; if we have to kill, we will be prepared. Do you all know who Tomas Zoric is?"

"He's very famous, Harry," Luna said simply. "Anyone raised in the wizarding world knows of him."

"I'd heard the name," Hermione acknowledged, "and he explained to my parents and to me who he is and what he does."

"He's going to be at Hogwarts to run security for . . . Dumbledore," Harry said, remembering at the last moment that Neville and Luna wouldn't know much, if anything, about the Order of the Phoenix. He'd have to ask Zoric to get them some clearance.

"He won't be the Defense teacher?" Ron asked, puzzled.

"Remus is coming back to do that for a year," Harry said. "Mister Zoric will cover for him, when necessary. He's also going to tutor me. If Dumbledore, Remus, and he all agree, we'll keep the DA going, albeit a little more openly. I asked Mister Zoric to check on that for us, and if we could continue to run it as we see fit, with their suggestions only."

"Why that way, Harry?" Hermione asked.

"There are a couple of ways I can approach this coming fight, Hermione," Harry answered. "I can be what Dumbledore and Snape want me to be -- a tool, a weapon. I can sit and be a good little instrument in Dumbledore's hand, sit and bide my time until he orders me to kill."

"Is that what you think Dumbledore is doing, Harry?" Hermione asked. "Is that all you think he feels for you? A tool?"

Harry shook his head. "Those are two separate questions. I think Dumbledore does care for me at least a bit as a person, but if anything, that just means he can screw things up. Believe me, he can screw things up just as easily as any of us. If I learned nothing else after the Ministry, it was that Dumbledore, as wise and powerful as he is, is just human."

"That doesn't mean we'd work against him, does it?" Ron asked in a worried voice.

"I hope not," Harry answered honestly. "It at least means retaining an independent judgement. I would hope that Dumbledore has learned something from last year as well -- he can't play people like puppets. He can't just manipulate us from a distance. That doesn't mean I expect him to tell us everything, but he's going to have to share more than he has if he doesn't want us acting independently. We'll all stand a better chance if Dumbledore is helping and guiding us, but in the end, this is my responsibility, not his. I trust each of you more than I trust him when he comes to your motives. He's been inscrutable too long."

"Great wizards are like that," Hermione said, "at least in fiction."

"But this isn't fiction," Harry retorted. "This is my. . . ."

"Quest?" Luna suggested.

"I guess it is," Harry admitted. "I'd rather go off alone, but if you want to help, I won't turn you down again."

"Okay, Master Frodo," Hermione teased, "we'll be your Fellowship." Harry smiled, while Ginny and Luna giggled.

"I don't get it," Ron said to Neville.

Harry rolled his eyes and called out to the house elf again. "Mister Harry?" she asked, concerned.

"Could you or one of the other elves do me a favor?" Harry asked.

"We will try, Mister Harry."

"I need eight identical copies of four Muggle books. They come in different editions, but that doesn't matter, as long as they are the same for each volume. I would prefer hard-backs, but I'll take what you can find. I believe Mister Zoric said I could have you charge my accounts for anything I need?"

"Yes, Mister Harry. That arrangement starts today. Muggle items are sometimes difficult for elves to purchase, but if there is no strict time limit, it can easily be done."

"No strict time limit, since I know none of you will take any longer than is needed. The books are by JRR Tolkien, The Hobbit and the three volumes of The Lord of the Rings."

"Master Tomas has them, so Dorsey knows what Mister Harry wants. If Florish and Blotts has, then Mister Harry will have them by tomorrow." She vanished.

"Why eight copies?" Ginny asked, before anyone else could.

"I wanted something we could use to send coded messages, and I think you, Ron, and Neville should read them. Messages coded by magic can be decoded by magic. I doubt if we'll need it, but book codes are difficult for both Muggle and magical methods to decode. One copy for each of us, two for the people at Hogwarts."

They all nodded. "I'm also looking for some advice from any or all of you. I've practically decided to take Muggle Studies as my fifth course. But if I am to go for Auror training, I need to do the sixth. I guess that would have to be Medicine or Creatures, or maybe History. I'm open for suggestions. Mister Zoric has also said I might become his formal apprentice. I could use some advice there, too."

"Why don't we take a break," Harry finished. "We can talk some more about what might be happening this week and beyond."

Harry walked towards Luna and held out his hand. She stood and took it. While Ron and Hermione ignored the by-play, Ginny looked at Harry and Luna, and shrugged. As she opened her mouth, Harry said, "Ginny, before you say anything, Neville has to talk with you."

Harry and Luna walked hand-in-hand over to the front window. Harry turned to look at her, and simply asked, puzzled, "Why?"

"I don't really think that question can ever really be answered," Luna replied softly. "Some relationships simply grow, like Neville and Ginny's might. Some simply are, like Ronald and Hermione. They fight so much because each is afraid of how much they care for each other, and because they are afraid that in finding themselves, they might lose you."

She looked at him. "Why you? Well, why me? I am smart, but not as smart as Hermione. I am not as pretty as Cho or Ginny or the Patils or even Hermione. Most boys love boobs, butts, or legs. Nearly every girl over thirteen is bustier than I am, and most of the girls have better butts, and you can't really see any of our legs. I'm often not polite, although I do try to be nice."

"You like me for myself," Harry interrupted. "You're right, I can be attracted to any number of girls. I like girls. But I could only be serious with someone who sees the real me, not the Boy-Who-Lived."

"I See," Luna said, with emphasis. "It's not Divination, but I See. I See your strength of character, your capacity for love, and I See more compassion in you than I See in any other three people."

"What else do you See?"

"In you? Pain and loneliness and some anger." She paused. "Loneliness. Loneliness and loyalty are two characteristics all six of us share."

"Really?" Harry was surprised. "Hermione and the Weasleys are lonely?" He could understand why Luna and Neville might feel that way.

"Really. It's not hard to be lonely in a crowd, Harry. I don't know the details of what happened to Ginny during our First year, but it was caused by loneliness. Ronald. . . ."

"Why do you call Ron 'Ronald'?" Harry interrupted.

"Ginny had a crush on you, I had a crush on him since Muggle primary school, and that's what the teachers called him," Luna admitted, blushing slightly. "I guess it's just habit, now."

"Why is Hermione lonely?" Harry asked.

"She's not, but I can still see the scars. How were brains, the teachers' pets, treated in your Muggle school by the other students?"

"Not well," Harry admitted.

"Why do you think she can so easily stay with you and Ronald? Her parents love her, I'm sure, but they are afraid of our world. She is attracted to Ron physically, but she loves both you and Ron with such a deep loyalty and need that it charges her aura. I could see why Cho was jealous of her. You were attracted to Cho, but you were never even infatuated with her, let alone in love with her. Hermione will always mean more to you than any casual relationship could ever mean."

"And how do I feel about you?" Harry asked in a whisper. He hadn't been sure what 'Seeing' meant before today, but he had to ask, if only because he wasn't certain himself how he felt.

"You have walls around your heart, Harry. You like me, because I can see the real you, and because you feel a little sorry for me, and have become attracted to me. You see how I am treated, and you remember how you were treated." She paused. "Remember, I can only See how you feel, I can't See the details."

Harry nodded. She went on. "Please don't pity me, Harry. I really like you, and I am attracted to you. Learn to see the real me, and if we fall truly in love, we will."

"Can you read people easily?" Harry asked.

Luna shook her head. "No. I only See you five so well because of our close contact over the last year." She squeezed his hand. "Physical contact helps."

Luna giggled. "Down, Harry!" she whispered, as she felt a wave of passion swept through him.

Harry blushed. Most people, he knew, would feel violated by Luna's Seeing. For some reason, he did not. It gave him comfort that someone could finally know him, and apparently accept him as himself. But. . . ."

"What's worrying you, Harry?"

"I'm just wondering if I can give you what you need," Harry mumbled.

"Does my Seeing upset you?" Luna asked.

"Can't you tell it doesn't?" Harry asked in turn.

"Exactly. Do you think I'm . . . odd?"

Harry smiled. "Yes, but I don't think that's a bad thing. And I can't lie to you, can I?"

"No," Luna said, "not while we hold hands, at least. But you can lie to yourself, you know."

"True," Harry admitted.

"If we decide we can love and accept each other, then yes, you will be giving me what I need," Luna told him, her voice more serious than usual.

Harry turned to face Luna directly, and the two embraced.

"Oy!" Ron called out. "None of that, mate!"

Harry looked over Luna's shoulder. "Are you really sure you want to make those the rules, Ron?"

Ron looked puzzled, then glanced at Hermione. Ron's ears turned bright red, which set Hermione blushing and Ginny laughing so hard she almost dropped her pumpkin juice. "That's what I thought," Harry said, making Ron fully blush.

Harry released Luna, but kept holding her hand. "Lunch is at noon. Let me show you to your rooms. After lunch, I think we need to fill the new trio in on the adventures of the old trio."

"So," Hermione said, "we're a sextet?"

"We hadn't better be," Ron blurted, giving Neville a dirty look and then blushing again. "Ow!" Ginny and Hermione had both slapped his upper-arms.

"It just means a set of six, you git!" Hermione admonished him.

"What parts are you going to leave out?" Luna asked.

"Parts of last year," Harry said. "We can't tell you everything until we get permission. It's not our secret." Hermione and the Weasleys understood that meant the Order of the Phoenix. "In fact, we'll just do my first four years tonight."



Starting with Harry and Ron's first meeting on the Hogwarts Express, the trio told their stories. The others, especially Ginny, told their viewpoints. By the end of the evening, they were sitting in couples on sofas. It was a new sensation for all six teens, and none were quite certain what they should do, so each went back to their room, pondering possibilities.



Tuesday, July 30, 1996

Tomas appeared early the next morning, before any of the teens were down for breakfast. The four who had never seen Occlumency were fascinated to see it in action. None took to it like Harry had flying or Hermione had creating fires, but Zoric detected some spark of talent in all of them, especially Luna and, surprising everyone, Neville. Testing them on the Imperious curse, however, all five failed, although Luna showed some signs of resistance.

During the short break, Harry asked Tomas about telling Neville and Luna about the Order of the Phoenix. Tomas thought about it, and told Harry he could tell them about the Order, but not reveal any members other than Dumbledore and himself and not to even try to reveal the location of the headquarters. He would tell Dumbledore himself about his permission.

After dueling practice, Harry told Hermione and the Weasleys about Zoric's decision. The entire group then went off to fly for forty-five minutes. Hermione and Neville weren't thrilled by the idea, but Zoric had convinced them that they did not want their lack of flying time to hinder the others, should it ever be necessary.

After flying, Zoric sent them off to shower and change for lunch. He stayed for lunch himself, and gave the group a short history of the Order of the Phoenix, without of course mentioning anything that the others weren't to mention. After lunch, and after Zoric left, they spent the afternoon rehashing the previous year from their different view points. That night, they discussed Harry's options.

Before Zoric left after lunch, however, Harry met with him.

"What is on your mind, Harry?" Zoric asked stiffly.

"I was wondering," Harry asked, somewhat shyly, "what real difference it might make if you're my tutor or if I'm your apprentice?"

"Master/apprentice is a closer, relationship, with familial and sacred elements," Zoric replied, trying to understand what all the implications were to Harry's question. "It would allow me to more closely monitor your classes, which, to be honest, mostly means Potions. It would mean you almost definitely would not have to go back to your Aunt's."

"Those are both advantages. . . ."

"I hear a 'but' in there somewhere. Just spit it out; I won't be offended."

"How much authority does that give you over me? How much authority does Dumbledore have over you?"

That second question gave Zoric the clue he needed. "I believe I understand your concerns," he said. "How much authority does Dumbledore have over me? Not as much as he would like. However, I am bound to keep his secrets. What you are really afraid of is taking on an obligation which may limit your freedom of action. Like any sixteen year old, you believe yourself equally capable, if not better able, than Dumbledore or myself in making decisions for yourself, because you now have the mental maturity, although little of the experience, to make those decisions."

"Granted," he went relentlessly on, "you have been trapped into having what amounts to the final responsibility. Granted, you will be manipulated by Voldemort into at least one more confrontation, and dislike the idea of being manipulated by your own side as well. Have I summed up your position?"

"Yes," Harry said tersely.

"All I can say is I will act the same towards you in that respect as your tutor and mentor -- I can tell you dislike the term 'master.' I shall not abandon or punish you if you disobey. I shall try to be as open with you as I can, and I shall be much more available to you to ask advice from than Dumbledore can be."

"How will you tutor my friends?" Harry asked.

"At the very least, I shall tutor you all in Occlumency, and if possible, I will help build up their resistance to the Imperius curse." Zoric looked at Harry for a moment. "If you are my apprentice, and you desire it, I shall act as their tutor in any subject I am knowledgeable in. Does this help?"

"A little," Harry said.

"I take it your friends have also declared themselves your followers, and you are determined to do what is right in your opinion?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said firmly.

"Will you promise to take Dumbledore's, Remus', and my advice into account, as well as your friends'?"

"Yes, that I can promise," Harry said. "I have no intention of being manipulated like last June."

"Then I am content."


Sign up to rate and review this story