Categories > Celebrities > AFI > December Starlight

Chapter 11

by horsie890 2 reviews

Chapter 11

Category: AFI - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-03-30 - Updated: 2007-03-31 - 809 words

0Unrated
Davey looked calm in response to Shade's words, but inside his heart was racing. The task ahead of him had just grown exponentially. And he had no idea what to do.
Shade could contain his exhaustion no longer. He yawned, trying to hide it behind one hand. He was thoroughly unsuccessful.
"Shade, get some sleep. I think you're about to collapse." Shade nodded gratefully and stumbled to the nearest bed, sighing as he fell onto it. He was asleep within seconds.
Davey stayed awake and stared into the crackling fire. He saw only a few frail sticks of wood in the fireplace, yet the fire itself filled the space and glowed brightly. Shade was definitely some kind of magician, and skilled at it. He sighed deeply as he contemplated the situation. He was expected to save them. Hunter, Adam, Nex, and now everyone in the Despair Faction. He stared at the medallion, watching as the firelight glinted amber on the three rabbits and sparkled in their eyes. The elegant animals seemed to glow of their own accord. It was almost as if the fire itself was inside them, bringing them to life.
"A fire inside..." He whispered the words to himself as he turned the object over in his hands. It sounded perfect, almost poetic. The words held hope for him, and for a second he thought he felt his own heart growing warm. A hallucination, surely, but it was real enough that he believed it.
The people of the Despair Faction had lived in darkness for too long. They needed the same kind of hope he had found. He vowed to save them. Every last one.
"Davey... go to sleep already," said Jade, sounding annoyed. Davey smirked in spite of himself. He knew his friend was really just tired, not upset. He obliged and crossed the room to what had been his bed, and collapsed into it gratefully. He hadn't even realized how tired he was. Sleep came to him soon, bringing dreams of glorious fire along with it.
-
"We will go to Miseria today." Davey opened his eyes upon hearing the words. Shade was trying to keep his voice low; he was likely speaking to Jade.
"I don't know if that's such a good idea," his friend said uncertainly. "You fainted last time you sent people there."
"True, but there were many of them, and I was under much stress. I am fully capable of transporting three people there under normal conditions."
"Guys, do you hear that?" Davey asked as he sat up, rubbing one eye sleepily.
"What?" Jade asked.
"It's raining outside." Shade rushed to the window and smiled. There were indeed drops of liquid water falling into the snow, leaving thousands of round holes in its surface.
"I knew it. The world is beginning to change because of you. The cold has begun to recede."
"When can we leave?" Davey asked him. Shade walked to the center of the room and told Jade to stand. He raised a hand to the fireplace, and the fire vanished immediately. The warmth remained, and Davey felt his hopes rise again. Shade glanced at him, then at Jade, and closed his eyes. He took a single deep breath and focused. Purple sparks began to emanate from his hands, and he clasped them together. Davey and Jade shut their eyes simultaneously.
A violent wind overtook them suddenly, sweeping them off their feet. Shade was saying something over the wind's roar, something in a completely different language. Davey blocked everything out of his mind, only focusing on the thought of fire. Shade's words were lost on him. Fire...he had to think of the fire...
"We're here," Shade said nonchalantly. Davey opened his eyes. They were standing just inside of two wrought iron gates, staring up a long path to the castle itself. It was as Shade had said, old and deteriorating, appearing black against the cloud-covered sky. But it had clearly been great once.
"Oh no...this can't be happening," said Shade incredulously.
"What's wrong?" Jade asked in confusion. Shade could only point at the castle. Davey studied it carefully, but saw nothing.
"I don't know what he's talking about," he said to Jade, frowning. Shade shook his head as if clearing it from a fog.
"I'm sorry. I forgot that you do not see things the same way I do. Magic changes my vision. Here, let me help." He raised a hand to eye level, and a blue glow surrounded it. There was a quick flash of light, causing both Davey and Jade to blink several times. They looked at the castle. And they knew immediately that what they saw hovering over it was evil.
"What is that?" Davey asked, gesturing at the white, leaf-shaped cloud.
"The symbol of the Ghosts," Shade said grimly. "They have captured the castle."
Sign up to rate and review this story