Categories > Original > Horror

The Vampire's Seduction.

by lost_in_the_shuffle 1 review

This is the first of a series of stories that I am going to be writing about Gabriel Van Helsing's great grandson, Charles. Charles is carrying on the great monster hunter's legacy. In this one, Ch...

Category: Horror - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-04-06 - Updated: 2007-04-06 - 3159 words - Complete

-1Predictable
Rachel walked down the dark street faster as she heard a noise behind her. She called herself all kinds of stupid for walking to the movies, especially after all those weird murders that have been going on. The bodies of women were being found drained completely of their blood. Suddenly Rachel heard a fluttering noise behind her, she began to run and it sounded like someone was chasing her. She dared to look behind her and to her horror saw the huge figure of a man. She shrieked and ran as fast she could, but the man caught up with her. She felt a hand grab her sleeve and she began to swing, the man slapped her and pressed a knife to her throat. Rachel whimpered as the man dragged her to the ground, closing her eyes. Suddenly the man was jerked from off her, she opened her eyes at the man's screams and watched in terror as a wolf with yellow eyes sunk his fangs in the guys throat, tearing it out. Rachel began to inch backward as blood spurted everywhere, than froze when the wolf turned and looked at her. She locked eyes with the wolf and had the strangest feeling he was telling her not to be afraid. Suddenly she felt like she had been released from invisible chains and she ran, not looking back.


"I told you what I saw," Rachel snapped at the police officer, "why won't you believe me?" The officer looked at her strangely, "Miss Porter," he began contentedly. "You're telling me, that you were attacked last night. Saved by a wolf that tore the man's throat out. Yet theres not sign of any kind of struggle in the alley you say you were in." Rachel jumped out of her chair, "thats what happened" she said heatedly. The police officer stood up too. "We'll look into it," he said in a patronizing voice, leading her to the door."We'll call you if anything comes up." He began to shut the door than stopped and said "Oh and Ms. Porter don't go walking alone anymore." Than he shut the door in her face. Rachel turned and stalked out of the police station, muttering "bastard." They acted like she was crazy, because they didn't find any blood or evidence of a attack. "I'm going to prove what happened," Rachel muttered as she drove away.

Pam, Rachel's best friend was waiting for her, when Rachel arrived at her home. "Are you OK?" Pam said as she rushed down the porch steps to give Rachel a hug. "Why didn't you call me? I would've gone to the police station with you." Rachel returned the hug and walked up the steps with Pam. "What happened?" Pam asked as the entered the house. Rachel stopped and looked at Pam. "Pam," she began, "this sounds crazy but it's the truth." Than she told Pam about the would be rapist and the yellow eyed wolf who saved her. Pam looked at her in concern, "honey you know there aren't any wolves in this area..." She began, than stopped when Rachel lept up and began to pace the living room. "You don't believe me either," Rachel said sadly. Pam stood up and put her arms around Rachel, "I want to," she began "but it's so far fetched." Rachel shrugged Pam's arms off her, and said accusingly "it's what happened, now I'm tired, please just leave." Than she walked to her bedroom, leaving Pam standing in the living room staring at her in concern.

Rachel opened her eyes, she was in a long dark hallway, although she didn't know how she got there. She looked around but all she could see was the dark. There was a faint light at the end and she started walking toward that. As if by magic she was at the end in seconds, staring into a beautiful room. A man stood with his back toward her, and Rachel felt a pull toward him. Just before she reached him, he turned and she gasped. He had the same yellow eyes as the wolf, he smiled Ferrell and Rachel felt fear but at the same time longing. He reached out his hand and as if by it's own will her hand reached out to his. Suddenly she felt as if a vacuum was sucking her backward, the man shouted angrily, "NO! She is mine!" But Rachel couldn't see who he was talking to. She was pulled back down the hallway, until darkness was the only thing she saw.

Rachel sat up breathing heavily, it was all a dream but yet seemed so real. She looked at the clock and realized she had slept twelve hours. She stood up and looked out the window, darkness was just descending and for a moment she felt a fear she didn't understand. She drew the shade and backed away from the window, quickly walking through the house turning on every light she came to. She went into the kitchen and made herself a sandwich, but realized she wasn't hungry. Rachel reached toward the phone to call Pam, when she heard a sound outside her back door. It was so such a small noise that at first she wasn't sure she heard anything at all. Than it came again, a soft scratching sound, like a dog would make. Rachel sat there paralyzed as the door knob began to turn. She knew she had locked the door, but it opened easily. Rachel gasped in fear as the man from her dream stepped into her kitchen. "Hello again my love," he said in softly accented English. Rachel jumped out of her chair and ran to the front door, but suddenly he was there. She stopped and stared at him, "what are you?" She asked shakily, backing away from him. The man smiled and said, "allow me to introduce myself, I am Miguel.I am a vampire," Rachel gasped and crossed herself in a gesture well learned from childhood. "It was you who saved me from that man," she whispered. "Yes," Miguel said moving toward her. "Why, did you save me?" Rachel asked backing slowly toward the back door. "Because my dear," Miguel said, "you are my chosen bride." Rachel turned and bolted toward the door, running smack into another man. Miguel snarled when he spied the man, "what are you doing here?" The man pushed Rachel out of the way and faced Miguel. "I can't let you take her," he said, "she is not yours." Miguel laughed evilly and said "are you going to stop me?" In a moment he transformed into a wolf and lunged at the man. Rachel screamed as the man was thrown backward with the wolf on top of him. Suddenly the wolf yelped and ran out of the house, limping. Breathing heavily the man stood up and put the cork on a bottle. "Holy water," he explained to Rachel. Sticking the bottle back into a pocket. "Who are you?" Rachel asked as the man closed the back door. "My name is Charles Van Helsing," he said facing her, "and I've come to save your immortal soul."

Charles sat at the kitchen table, his hands wrapped around the mug of coffee Rachel had given him. "My great grandfather was Gabriel Van Helsing," he began as Rachel sat across from him at the table. "I'm sure you've heard of him," he said as Rachel nodded. "He was a great monster hunter, and it became a family tradition." He leaned forward, "we need to get you somewhere safe," he said "Miguel is a very powerful vampire. He wants you and will stop at nothing to have you." Rachel looked at him in confusion,"I thought vampires couldn't come into a place unless invited." Charles laughed, "thats not true," he explained. "Vampire myth and lore gets mixed up all the time." He stood up and looked out the window, "it's getting light." He said turning to face Rachel, "which means we have some time, before he returns. Pack a bag," Charles said as he opened the front door."I'll be back," Rachel jumped up and hurried to the door,"wait" she said, "where are you taking me?" Charles turned and looked at her, "Somewhere that Miguel can't touch you." He said simply, than walked down the porch steps.

Hours later, Charles and Rachel arrived at a huge church. Charles parked in the back and knocked on the door, it was opened by a elderly priest who beamed when he saw Charles. "Charlie my son," he said happily, " come in please." He closed the door behind them and hugged Charles,"I haven't seen you in a year," he scolded. Charles smiled and said, "you know as well as I do father, the monster business keeps you busy." Charles turned to Rachel and said this is Father Downs, he spent many years keeping me on the straight and narrow." Father Downs looked at Rachel and frowned, "she's in danger isn't she?" Rachel looked shocked at Charles who explained "Father Downs has the third eyes, also known as the sixth sense. He can sense things about people." He turned back to Father Downs and said,"yes she is. She's been marked as a bride by Miguel." At the name Father Downs gasped and crossed himself. "Than there is no time to waste," he said quickly as he led them down a flight of stairs into a hallway. He stopped in front of a door and opened it, "this is where you will be staying my child." He said patting Rachel's hand, "don't fear, he can't get you here." Than he turned walking out of the room, leaving Rachel and Charles alone. Rachel shivered slightly and rubbed her arms, Charles noticed and drew her close to him. "Miguel can't get you here," Charles said, "but he can still enter your dreams and try to get you to come to where he can get you." Rachel looked at him in fear, "I'll never be free of him will I? she said shakily, Charles hugged her and said "Father Downs and I are going to do everything we can to free you." Rachel began to cry, "what if it isn't enough?" She asked, "what if Miguel does manage to make me his bride? I'll be doomed." Charles stepped back and looked at her, "I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen." He kissed her lightly on the mouth, than said. "Get some sleep," before walking out of the room.

Rachel sat up in bed as she heard someone call her name, "Rachel," the voice called. "Come to me, I need you." Rachel felt like her body was under a spell as she got out of bed and walked toward the door. She climbed the stairs and reached for the doorknob when a hand grabbed her shoulder, jerking her out of the trance. Rachel gasped in fear as she saw Charles, than looked around in confusion. "How did I get here?" she asked, Charles looked at her grimly. "Miguel called you," he said leading her back down the stairs. "Thank God I was sleeping in the hallway." Rachel began to shake, "he can still control me in here. But he can't get me in here." She whispered, "whenever I fall asleep, I could fall under his spell." She began to cry, "I'm afraid Charles." She said hugging him. Charles hugged her tightly and said, "I swear I'll protect you with my life." He said and than kissed her, Rachel clung to him and kissed him back. They stumbled into the room and closed the door behind them.

Rachel woke up the next morning with Charles laying beside her. He had stayed with her all night and Miguel hadn't returned. She snuggled up to him and realized in shock that she was falling in love with Charles. She sat up and got out of bed, moving quietly so that she didn't disturb him. Rachel walked out of the room and followed the smell of frying bacon, until she came to a kitchen. Father Downs stood at a stove making breakfast, he looked up and smiled at Rachel. "Good morning my child," he said gesturing toward the table. "Please sit down, he went back to frying the bacon."It's so nice to be able to cook for someone else besides myself." He said, than turned as Charles walked into the kitchen. "Hello there Charlie," he said, as Charles sat down beside Rachel. "I hope you're hungry," Charles looked at Rachel and winked. "Famished," Father Downs smiled and said,"good." Than bustled around finishing breakfast. Later as they sat eating, Charles related the what happened the night before to Father Downs. Father Downs frowned and said worriedly,"Miguel is stronger than we thought. It didn't take him long at all to break through the shields around the church." He looked at Rachel with concern, "I hope that our protection is enough my child." Charles put his arm protectively around Rachel. "I will protect her with my life," he said with convection. Father Downs smiled slightly and said "It may just come down to that Charlie."

That night Rachel laid in bed with Charles beside her, "I'm afraid," she said, "afraid to go to sleep, afraid to dream." She turned and buried her head into Charles' shoulder. Charles began to stroke her hair, "I'm here," he whispered. "I won't let anything happen to you." Rachel smiled and said "I know you won't," than drifted off to sleep snuggled in Charles' arms.

She woke suddenly and realized she was alone in the bed. "Charles," she called, "where are you?" Suddenly she heard mocking laughter and she looked at the foot of the bed. Miguel stood there, his yellow eyes glowing evilly. Rachel gasped and screamed "Charles!" Miguel laughed harder, "I killed Charles," he sneered "and that old priest. Now I will take you as my bride." He walked to the side of the bed and held out his hand. "Come with me Rachel," he said softly. "You are mine, as it has been from the moment of your birth." Rachel felt the seductive spell of his gaze wash over her, and she began to hold out her hand. Suddenly she heard Charles speak in her ear, as if he was right next to her. "Fight it Rachel," the voice said,"you can do it hon." Rachel whimpered and said,"he said he killed you." Charles' voice came again, "this is another one of his attempts to claim you. You are dreaming, I am alive and here for you." Than his voice said stronger, "fight it, you have the power." Rachel looked at the hand Miguel was offering her, than asked,"what power?" "The power of goodness," Charles' voice spoke again, "and the power of my love." Suddenly the trance broke and Rachel screamed "NO!" Miguel fell back screaming as if in pain and disappeared. Rachel sat up and realized she was awake. Charles was looking at her in concern, "are you alright?" He asked as he gathered her in his arms. Rachel smiled and said," I will be once you tell me you meant what you said." Charles held her tighter,"I do love you Rachel." He said, "God help me, I do."

Charles and Father Downs sat at the kitchen table talking quietly, " Miguel is getting stronger." Charles said, "he almost claimed her this time." Father Downs said,"Charlie, I think that you and Rachel have to face Miguel down. You and I both know he'll never give up." Charles shook his head,"No," he said firmly. "I won't put her in danger." They both looked up as Rachel appeared in the door, "Why don't you ask me what I want Charles Van Helsing?" She said angrily, "instead of deciding what you think is best for me." Charles stood up and went to Rachel, "I'm know that if something happens to me, that Miguel will claim you." He said,"I don't want that to happen." Rachel put her hand on Charles' cheek and said softly," we have to do something. He will never give up." Charles sighed heavily, and said "I know that, but I don't want to lose you." Rachel smiled and turned to Father Downs,"lets make a plan." She said as she sat down at the table. Father Downs looked at Charles and nodded."Lets make a plan," he repeated as Charles sat down next to Rachel.

Rachel looked around nervously, she knew that Charles was hidden somewhere watching her. But she was still afraid, suddenly she gasped as Miguel appeared before her. "Hello, my love," he said softly. "I knew you would come," than he grabbed her and yanked her against him, holding a hand against her throat. "Oh Charles," he said in a singsong voice, "I know you're out there somewhere. Come out come out wherever you are." Charles appeared and Rachel began to struggle, Miguel tightened his grip on her throat and hissed. "Stop or I will make him suffer before I kill him." Charles stopped a few feet from Miguel and Rachel, "Let her go," Charles said quietly. Miguel laughed,"she is my bride," he sneered. "Think about the fact that I'll claim her body and soul, after I send your soul to hell." Charles tightened his grip on the wooden stake he held. "The only one going to hell, is you." He snarled, Miguel laughed again and tossed Rachel to the side. Transforming into a wolf. Rachel screamed in terror as Miguel attacked Charles,they struggled so closely together it was hard to see who was wolf and who was man. Rachel grabbed the stake that Charles had dropped but stood there unsure what to do. If she tried to use it she could hit Charles by accident. Suddenly there was a thwack, and Miguel roared in pain, turning back into a man, thrashing to get loose from the arrow that pinned him to the ground. Rachel sighed in relief as Father Downs ran up holding a crossbow. Charles grabbed the stake from Rachel and drove it throw Miguel's heart, making him explode into a burst of ashes. He looked up at Father Downs and said,"good aim, but I thought I told you to stay back at the church." Father Downs smiled and said, " I had a feeling that you would need my help." Than he walked off, whistling cheerfully. Charles stood up and walked to where Rachel was standing, tears streaming down her face. He took her in his arms and wiped her tears away,"this is my life." He said sheepishly,"I want to share it with you, but you have to understand it's not for everyone." Rachel smiled at Charles and said softly, "as long as I'm with you, I can do anything." Than they walked hand in hand into the rising sun.
Sign up to rate and review this story