Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Clipped Wings

Team 4

by KitsunenoRai 0 reviews

Not everyone is blessed with a bloodline even if one should be obtained. That is shown in the life of Hiroku Hyuga. The disdain of the clan is shown on his arm for a punishment that was not a crime...

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-04-04 - Updated: 2007-04-04 - 3372 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto.

Chapter 1: Team 4

An alarm clock echoed throughout the room. Grey eyes shot open as a young boy sat up in bed. He rubbed his violet hair roughly as he stared at his alarm clock blankly. He started to get back under the covers when his mother kicked down the door. "Hiroku Hyuga," she yelled in his ear immediately waking the boy up. "Don't you have the genin exams today?"

"Yes," he answered rubbing his eyes. He walked past her and into the bathroom and closed the door. He cleaned and groomed himself and walked over to his closet. He grabbed a white short sleeved shirt and black pants out of the closet. He grabbed a box of bandages and walked over to the mirror. He stared at his upper right arm noticing the curse mark. It was similar to normal Hyuga clan curse marks. The only difference was four dash marks in the center of each line of the cross mark. 'All because I never inherited the Byakugan," Hiroku sighed. He wrapped his arm in fresh bandages making sure not to make them too tight.

"Roku, are you ready for the genin exam?" his mother asked him while he was going down the stairs.

"Yep. I'll do fine." He put on a green overcoat set by the door. "Well, bye."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All right, students. Listen up," the academy teacher, Iruka, said calmly slamming his hand on the desk getting the attention of his students. "Today is the day of the academy exams. As you should know, this test takes place in three segments. The first is, of course, the written exam," he said walking to each student handing them the test. Hiroku stared at the test. He cocked his head to the side and stared at it.
'This is... pathetic,' he thought. He was staring at the first question. 'How many Hokage's have been in the Kohonagakure?' He wrote the answer and continued down to the last question. 'What is the point of chakra and how is it formed?' Hiroku sat back a little to put some thought into the question. He picked back up his pencil. 'Chakra is used to form Ninjutsu and Genjutsu. It is formed by transferring stamina into chakra.' He set down his pencil and turned his test over. He looked up to see that half of the class had completed their exams already. 'It really was easy,' he thought. He turned to stare out the window and watch the clouds go by.

"If you are finished, bring the test forward." The majority of the class stepped forward. Iruka stared and pointed to a corner on the desk to set the papers and began grading them. Hiroku returned to his seat in the back by the window. He began to stare for a while, but soon turned around and fell asleep on the desk.

"Roku, Roku. Wake up." Hiroku turned to see his classmate standing over him.

"Hi, Akane," Hiroku said groggily waking up. He saw that she was wearing a light blue shirt and white pants. Her black hair was messy and her eyes dimmed from sleepiness.

"Roku, its time for the second part of the exam. Iruka-sensei asked us to line up single file and face him." Hiroku nodded and stared at her for a moment. He sat up and joined the other students.

"Okay, class. With the first part of the exam out of the way, we can continue with the second part of the exam. In this part, it is simply just doing the basic jutsus. You must do four different jutsus: the Transformation Technique, Rope Escape Technique, Body Replacement Technique, and Clone Technique." The students nodded. Hiroku looked around as his brain wondered throughout the classroom. "Hiroku Hyuga." Hiroku quickly turned around and gave Iruka an annoyed, angry glance, but he ignored it. Hiroku stepped forward scratching the back of his head. "Start with the Transformation Technique." Hiroku did the proper hand signs and transformed into Iruka. The real Iruka looked at his clone carefully. "Looks like you got my good side," he said grinning. "Next the rope escape," he said holding strong ropes. He tied them up carefully around Hiroku's arms and legs. Hiroku moved a little checking that the ropes were secure and did the appropriate hand signs to appear behind the ropes. "Good. Now the body replacement." Hiroku formed a hand sign as Iruka formed a fist aiming directly at him. Hiroku disappeared into a leaf; the real one appearing behind Iruka. He nodded his approval. "Okay, now a Clone Technique." Hiroku did the hand signs and in a flash of smoke a clone of him appeared. "Okay, good work, Roku." He turned back to his class. "Everyone has went so everyone head outside." The class walked outside and again lined up single file facing him.

"Okay the final test is really a simple one. You must throw kunai and shuriken at the targets over there," he said pointing to three straw figures each with a target in the center. "You are throwing five kunai and shuriken each. Aim for the vital points of the normal human body. Three of you will do it at the same time. First up, Hiroku Hyuga, Akane Ibiki, and Ryota Shimamoto." Hiroku turned once again at Iruka after all three names were called and stared at him angrily.

'Why am I called first this time? Oh well, the faster I get this done, the faster I can sleep.' Iruka gave the three students the five shuriken and kunai. Ryota started first. The kunai hit each of the limbs and the chest. Three of the shuriken hit the torso area, one hit the neck, the other the head.

"Alright, Akane, go ahead. She stepped forward and threw all the kunai and shuriken at the same time, all hitting the torso area. "Good. Next." Hiroku braced himself. He threw the kunai first. Three of them hit the torso's main vital organs, the heart, lungs, and liver, but the other two missed entirely and landed on the tree behind the dummy. He then took the shuriken and separated them to three on his right hand two on the other. He threw the shuriken with much more accuracy than the kunai and hit one in the head, one in the heart, one in the liver, and two in the neck. "Okay, your kunai throwing could use some work," Iruka said. Hiroku shrugged it off and walked off as Iruka called the next three students. "Kasumi Yatsuga, Hotaka Hyuga, and Sumiko Tezuka," Hiroku overheard as he walked away.

He stretched and sat by a tree and began to stare at the clouds. He began to practice the drill his mother made him practice almost every night. He began to form chakra around each of his fingers and began to increase and decrease it at a steady pace constantly. He continued doing this until his entire class finished. "Okay class, let's head back inside."

Hiroku took his inside and watch Iruka open a folder he had been caring with him. "Okay, there people that passed. There are a total of fifteen people that passed."

"That's it?!" a student yelled out half way across the room.

"Yes, just fifteen people," Iruka confirmed. 'This class was not really that big this year now that I think about it. Only the minimum passed it. I hope there is a better showing next year,' he thought. "Anyway, for all those who failed, better luck in six months." The class's heads dropped a little. "I will be handing a sheet of paper to each student. If you failed, please leave the classroom. The instructions on when to come back what to improve on are on the sheet. If you passed, please remain seated."

Hiroku stared at his face down paper. 'Well, here goes." He lifted up his paper to see a pass written on his paper. He grinned with satisfaction as he watched the majority of the class leave. He looked around and saw who was left. 'Nine boys, six girls,' he observed.

"All those who are left will be arranged into three man groups for a total of five groups," Iruka explained. "I will be calling your name and the squad you will be in. Team 1 will consist of Rei Saito, Akane Ibiki, and Hotaka Hyuga. Team 2 will consist of Hikari Tamiya, Fuma Wado, and Ken Yagai. Team 3 is Yuki Izanami, Ryota Shimamoto, and Kazuki Komatsu. Team 4 is Sumiko Tezuka, Hiroku Hyuga, and Kasumi Yatsuga. And lastly, Team 5 is Daisuke Motoka, Sora Kaneda, and Mai Zeniya. Those are the teams. Make sure you return tomorrow and meet your sensei. Class dismissed. Your headbands are on the desk, take one as you leave," Iruka said giving out the last instructions.

Hiroku walked over to the two girls that would soon be his teammates. He glanced toward Kasumi. She had let out her brown hair that went all the way down to her knees and blue eyes looked about as sleepy as he was. She was wearing a blue kimono that revealed her shoulders and blue pants that went to her ankles. Hiroku always took her for a girly-girl; he was about to find out what she was made of.

He then turned her attention to Sumiko. For whatever reason, she liked to wear boys clothes, instead. She wore her red hair very short, about to her mouth. Her green eyes wondering what he was doing. She wore a large, black short sleeved shirt with black baggy pants. Her arms were covered in bandages. Her most noticeable appearance however was her scar on the right side of her face. It wasn't big, but it was noticeable and made her look even more ambiguous. When she talked, however, you knew she was a girl.

"What is it, Roku?" Kasumi asked first wondering what he wanted. Hiroku sat down beside them.

"Do you want to go out for lunch?" he asked.

"What for?" Sumiko asked questioning the boy.

"To talk. If we are going to be on the same squad, we might as well know each other and be able to sit and have a conversation."

"Okay," Kasumi answered. "What about you, Sumiko?"

Sumiko nodded. They stood up and headed for the door grabbing their forehead protectors on the way out.

"So where do you want to eat?" Kasumi asked her teammates.

"Ichiraku's maybe," Sumiko answered.

"Yeah, that sounds good," Hiroku agreed. "Any problems with it Kasumi?" She shook her head.

"So, Roku, you're paying right?" Sumiko asked.

"Sure."

"I'm glad. I don't have any money," Sumiko stated.

"Me neither," Kasumi admitted.

"So who do you think our jounin sensei is going to be anyway?" Hiroku asked.

"Don't know. All I know is that he better be strong," Sumiko answered.

"He wouldn't be a jounin if he was weak," Kasumi said putting her hands behind her back. Sumiko glared at her for a moment then turned her attention ahead. "Anyway, how are you going to wear your forehead protector.

"Why does it matter?" Sumiko asked.

"Just curious. I want to know in case I need to change how I want it to look."

"You're such a prissy girly-girl," Sumiko added.

"I just want to know," Kasumi continued obviously flustered.

Sumiko sighed. "On my forehead, like it's supposed to be worn."

"Kasumi grinned finally getting an answer out of her. She turned to Hiroku. "What about you, Roku?"

He looked up into the sky. "I didn't really put much thought into it. Probably around my neck."

"Your neck! Are you crazy?" Sumiko yelled.

"What's wrong with it?" Hiroku asked.

"What if a ninja could get behind you? He could strangle you by your forehead protector. What then?" Sumiko explained.

"Actually, if it's around your neck doesn't it protect you from getting hit with throwing weapons thrown at you? Anyway, I'll take my chance," Hiroku answered calmly. He turned to Kasumi. "How are you wearing yours," he asked.

"I don't know yet," she said putting a finger on her chin.

Sumiko and Hiroku stared at her blankly. 'What!!! After all that she doesn't even tell us wear,' Hiroku screamed inside his head.

'Definitely a girly-girl,' Sumiko thought, left eye twitching.

"Moving along, Hirok.." Kasumi stopped talking upon seeing Hiroku's face. He had a look of annoyance on his face. "Sorry. Roku, what are you going to order at Ichiraku's.

"I don't know."

"I do. Probably beef," Sumiko answered. She looked ahead to notice that they were almost at the shop.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Here are your orders," Teuchi, the owner of the Ichiraku Ramen Bar said placing the three bowls of ramen in front of them. The team's mouths watered at the sight of the food. They reached for the chopsticks and ate to their hearts content.
"Make sure you two don't go overboard with the food," Hiroku commented. "I only have so much money." They nodded as they continued eating.

"So, what does your parents do?" Kasumi asked trying to make conversation.

"Both of my parents are jounin rank ninja," Sumiko said.

"My mother is a jounin rank ninja with a weapons smith job on the side. My father was also a jounin ninja," Hiroku added.

'Was?" Sumiko thought to herself.

"He died on an A+ ranked mission a couple of months ago though," he finished. The two girls stared at him wide eyed.

"I'm sorry, Roku. I shouldn't have dug too deep in your personal life," Kasumi said apologetically.

"It's okay. I don't cry about it now," Hiroku comforted. He then looked at their bowls. "Teuchi, can we get the check?"

"Hey! I wasn't finished yet," Kasumi yelled.

"I'm not made of money. Next time, you're paying."

The group walked out of the bar. As they walked out, they noticed a blond haired boy with what looked like whiskers. He seemed to be in a rush to eat. "Wait a minute," Hiroku stopped them. He went back into the bar and gave the boy the rest of his money that his mother gave him. "Here, I don't want it. I have seen how much you can eat. Take it." The boy stared at him skeptical for a few seconds then took the money. He gave him a questioning look. Hiroku nodded and turned to walk out.

"Why did you give him the money?" Sumiko asked as they started walking again.

"To get back at my mother for waking me up early," Hiroku answered. 'Ha. Take that mom,' he thought.

"So, where to now?" Sumiko asked.

"I know. The bridge," Kasumi said.

"Why?"

"It's calm, peaceful, and serene."

"Interesting choice of words," Sumiko stated.

"Yeah, I got it from a book I read," Kasumi answered, a grin marking her face.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Such a great view," Kasumi said kicking back on a tree. The newly allied team were all on one large tree watching the sun set slowly.
"Sumiko," Hiroku said.

"Yes."

"That scar on your cheek. It's self inflicted isn't it?"

"How did you know?"

"Self-mutilation is a bad habit to get in to," Kasumi jumped in.

"Shut up!" Sumiko yelled. She turned to Hiroku. "Well, how could you tell?" she asked quietly.

"I just used deduction. You never tried to hide it. You always seem to be flashing it around. Normally, konoichi would try to hide their scars unless self inflicted or the kunoichi in question has very few. Which leads me to my second question. Why do you wear boys clothes?"

"Sumiko shrugged her shoulders. "Two reasons. But first, I am no kunoichi, I am a female shinobi."

'What's the difference?' Kasumi sighed to herself.

"The first reason. I was trained to be a ninja. In my mind kunoichi is a term for a weak ninja that can't compete with both genders. My father trained me so that I could beat both genders. I just took it up a level wearing boys clothes. My parents think I might have went a little overboard though. I don't even own female clothes except underwear. Secondly, they are more comfortable to me. Don't worry. I still define myself as a girl." Hiroku nodded understandingly. "Now I have two questions for you. Why don't you have the Hyuga bloodline even though you claim to be one and Why do you have us call you Roku instead of Hiroku?" Hiroku cringed hearing his name called.

"Alright. I guess I should explain the Hyuga thing." He took off his overcoat and set it on the branch beside him. He then began to unwrap the bandages revealing the curse seal of the Hyuga clan. Sumiko and Kasumi stared at the seal in awe. "If that isn't proof that I am a member of the Hyuga clan, I don't know what is." He began to re-wrap the bandages. "The reason I don't have the Byakugan is because of my parent's blood. My father had the blood line trait known as the Hyoton, my mother had the Byakugan."

'The Hyoton." Kasumi thought wide-eyed.

"When two members of different bloodline traits mix, three things can happen. The common one is that the blood takes two separate parts, dominant and recessive. This normally leaves the offspring to have one of the two bloodlines, but not both. The second one is that they both harmonize and the offspring gets both bloodline traits. This is very rare. The last one is the one I have. This is also rare, but not as rare as the second one. The blood harmonizes and the offspring gets neither of the two bloodline traits. I don't even live in the Hyuga household because of it. They just gave me the curse mark and sent me on my way. In theory, however, my condition can be reversed, if enough of my mother's blood is transferred into me, I could then inherit the Byakugan. I'm not a cannibal, though, and my mother is much, much more stronger than me." He finished wrapping the bandages and put his overcoat back on. Sumiko and Kasumi stared at him for a moment.

"And your name," Sumiko said regaining her thought.

"I think 'Hiroku' sounds girly. 'Roku' sounds more masculine so I went with that,"Hiroku stated simply. Sumiko and Kasumi almost fell out the tree in laughter. "It's not that funny you know."

"Anything you want to ask me?" Kasumi said looking down at her teammates.

"Yeah. Why the long hair? It goes down to the knees," Sumiko asked.

"The think of my hair as a treasure. I love it so much," Kasumi answered playing with her hair.

"Yeah you say that, but what if someone grabs it or it gets dirty or it gets caught on something," Sumiko asked.

"I don't care if it gets dirty and I wrap my hair in bandages to prevent it from catching in trees and if someone grabs it, they are in for a surprise."

"Spoken like a true girly-girl," Sumiko said giving a deep sigh afterwards.

"We should probably get home. It's getting dark," Hiroku said looking at the sky.

"I really like you guys," Kasumi said as they jumped off the large tree.

"Where did that come from?" Sumiko asked.

"My heart," Kasumi said placing a hand over her chest.

"I ...can't... believe you... just said that," Sumiko finally got her thought out.

"You are the most random person I have ever met," Hiroku added.

"Aw, you know you two love me," Kasumi said pointing to her left cheek.

"Whatever," Sumiko said folding her arms together.

"Well, you guys, See you tomorrow," Hiroku said.

"Bye."

They rushed off going in their separate directions each ready to show their parents their accomplishments.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: And that's the first chapter of the story Clipped Wings. This story seems kind of slow, but it will pick up the pace. My goal is to make an OC story where OC's are not created to have a relationship with canon characters. Also just to make a decent OC story period. Well, I hope that you will stick with this fic and give it a chance. Next is the genin test. Team 4 jounin appears. Do not fear. It is not a bell test. Until next chapter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sign up to rate and review this story