Categories > Books > Outsiders > Picking Up The Peices

Chapter 5: Bad Jokes and Near Death kisses

by masquerade37 2 reviews

DNO. Terri KICKS ASS.

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-04-17 - Updated: 2007-04-18 - 1942 words

0TrainWreck
We were telling each other jokes well into the night, boy was it fun.

"Darry come on man, tell us one joke, anything," a partially drunk Two-Bit said, rather unsteadily.

"Fine, why did the chicken cross the road?"

"Why?" we asked.

"To get to the other side."

"Boo!" Two-Bit yelled.

"Get off the stage!" I yelled tossing an empty beer can at him. It hit his temple and bounced back off. He just looked at me. Those icy eyes could strike fear into the hearts of men, but not me! At least not when I was a little drunk. But I'm not usually afraid of appearances.

Everyone flinched cause they thought he was gonna pelt me. But he laughed instead.

"Okay here's one... why did Two-Bit cross the road?"

"Why?" We all asked slowly.

"Cause he cleaned the first side out of beer!"

We were rolling on the floor. That one was good.

Several minutes later Soda said, "Okay, Terri... he he... your turn... he he he he..."

"Here goes nothing..." I put on a really good Scottish accent, "Never shake hand with an octopus, you'll be there all day!"

All the guys, even Dally, were clutching their ribs.
So I put on a Texan accent, "If life give you lemons squeeze lemon juice in peoples eyes!"

Not a dry eye in the house, or a non-painful rib.

I out on a really excited voice and face and said, "If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving!"

At this point I cracked and was laughing along with them, and that was the end of that.

We fell asleep laughing in the Curtis living room.

When I woke up everyone else was awake accept Two-Bit.

Soda walked over to us. "Hey guys, Terri won!"

"Won what?"

"The contest on who was gonna wake up first. Loser gets drawn on!" Steve came out of the back room were he was eating stolen cake.

Soda whipped out a marker and wrote (backwards) on Two-Bit's forehead:

I'M DRUNK AS HELL


"Wait till he looks in the mirror!" he said pocketing the marker.

Just then Johnny walked in. "Thank God it wasn't you!"

"Why?"

"They were gonna do: 'Kiss my Ass' on you!"

"Gotta go!" Soda and Steve bolted out the front door to their getaway vehicle.

"Oi!" I said and flopped on the couch.

BOING!

"AHHHHHHHHHHH!" I screamed and jumped up so fast I was dizzy. I looked at the
couch. A spring had come through the fabric on the other side of the couch cushion
I had flopped on.

"Uh... Darry?"

"Ya?"

"I broke your couch!"

"Let me guess a spring on the right cushion?"

"Ya!"

"Johnny could ya?"

Johnny was obviously expecting this because he was next to the couch already. He pushed the spring down and tucked it under the fabric again.

"Happens all the time," he said and picked up the cake Steve left. "Want some?"

"Heck ya!"

We nearly finished off the cake (Steve barely left any).

"Hope Darry ain't mad." Johnny said.

"Ya, they always have a steady supply of cake around though right?"

"Ya."

After a long silence Johnny said, "I'm gonna take a walk."

"Okay, be careful." I smiled at him as he walked out the front door.

I went for a walk a while later. I was passing an old apartment building a few miles away. I was passing through an alley, as always when someone jumped at me. They grabbed my wrists and pushed me against the wall.

When everything came into focus I saw it was Dally. I then realised he hadn't been around this morning.

"What are you doing?" I asked him trying to break his grip. He was so close I could smell him, he smelled nice... NO NOT AGAIN! OI! He was looking at me with a look of such... such... I can't explain the emotion, all I know was it scared me.

"I want to ask you something."

He was really close to me now, He was only inches from me and I think his grip tightened a bit.

"W-what?" I was struggling now, and for some sick reason, it looked to me like he liked it.

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

That question caught me a little by surprise. "W-what?"

"You go away for three whole years, leaving Johnny here for a worse fate than if
you'd stayed. Then"- his voice was rising now- "Then you come back and get yourself beaten..."

"THAT WAS YOUR FAULT! YOU COULD HAVE AVOIDED THAT!" I was yelling now too; he scared me.

"I... fine. But then you have the nerve to leave again? Johnny came home bawling about you leaving him here again! He was so hysterical... I've never seen him like that! How does that make you feel? Huh? To just leave him here crying like nothing before? Huh? HUH?"

I was crying by now, I couldn't hold it in. I have a fringe on my hair it covers one side of my face, not that I want it to, it makes me look like I'm hiding. But now I wanted to hide. I turned that side of my face to him. I didn't want him to see me crying. I didn't want him to know he scared me.

"I-I-I didn't want t-to leave..."

"Then why did you?"

"Because Johnny told me to go. I didn't want to hurt him by staying. I didn't think... I'm so stupid sometimes... I-I didn't know what else to do, I always do what he wants me too... I love him to much to hurt him by-" Dally let go of my right hand, grabbed my chin, and forced me to look at him, he saw that I was crying. His grip loosened a little bit- "by not doing what he wants or what he deserves. I thought he deserved something better, I wasn't perfect, I left him here didn't I?"

Dally let go of me and I fell to my knees. He just walked away, leaving me crying.
I sat and bawled for nearly and hour.


I was walking home (I finally stopped crying) when I heard some muffled sounds. Sort of like struggling. I looked into yet another alley way and what I saw struck me with several emotions: fear, anger, hatred, astonishment, and mostly violence.

I saw Johnny being held to a wall, as Dally had me, being kissed violently by a girl I knew all too well. Her name was Sylvia. We used to go to school together. I could see that Johnny was close to tears; I could tell he was as scared of her as I was of Dallas.

He was struggling hard, but she was too strong for him. He looked so helpless.
Near tears.

What I did next I will never understand. I attacked her, violently.

"Get off of him!" I yelled and I grabbed her upper arm and ripped her away from him.

Johnny fell to the ground; he was weak and scared, as I had been with Dallas.

She tried to punch me, so I did what my conscience told me; block. She tried again, I blocked again. She tried several more times before standing back confused looking.

God she changed a lot. She looked like, well, I'd really rather not say, but lets say short skirts and eye makeup are involved.

Then I glanced at Johnny; his eyes were watering. I knew he was still scared, but then he saw me looking at him, and he gave me a little grin. I got angry.

I jumped at her and let out a flurry of punches and two hip height kicks, followed by one of my quite powerful (so says my karate teacher) snap kicks. It missed.

She was getting weak. Her legs were bowed out to support her and her lip was bleeding where I got her good.

I decided I had to finish her off. I was so angry at her for hurting him.

I did a move I was only just teaching my self, and to be truthful, I wasn't very good at it.

I turned sideways from her twisted my torso to face her, bent my knees and jumped as hard as I could (which takes me pretty high) and I whipped my legs in the same direction as my torso. My legs were out and they hit her across the arm and chest. She fell to the ground breathing hard.

I walked over to her and stood over her. I put my foot lightly on her throat (I'm not violent this was entirely new to me), bent over her and said, "If you ever touch him again" -I glanced at Johnny- "I will kill you."

I lifted my foot and she got up.

"Do I make myself clear?" I asked sternly.

She just snorted.

I backed her into a wall and put my face very close to hers. "I said, 'Do I make my self clear?'" My teeth were gritted and I wanted to put my fist through her right then and there. But my teacher, my sensei, taught me to be merciful. I was... kind of.

"Y-yes, m-ma'am," she stuttered. I could tell I scared her. I was glad; she deserved it. I backed away and jogged to Johnny.

"I took his face in my hands. He flinched, so I put one hand on his shoulder and the other was still holding his face.

"Johnnycake? You ok?" I asked, I had tears in my eyes at this point.

"Y-ya... thanks, she scared me so bad..." he looked in her direction, she was dabbing her lip with a handkerchief. I still wasn't sorry. "Where did you learn to do that?"

"Los Angeles. Are you ok?"

"Ya, whoa, that is one rough chick." He gulped. I could tell he was still scared.

"You're ok now," I gave him a little hug and we got up.

"Hey!" I said to Sylvia. "Where's Dally? Shouldn't you and him be makin' out instead?"

"No, he ran off and stole some hubcaps after his incident with you in the other alley. He's in jail over night, maybe into next week. Oh well," her voice was shrill, and high-pitched. I hated her even more. She sauntered away, no doubt to find some other poor guy, or guys. She was so gross.

Johnny looked at me, "Weird, weird chick."

We both laughed and walked home with each other for safety.

"What did she mean Dally's incident with you in the other alley?" he asked me with a look of concern.

"He was asking me, real loudly, what the hell I was thinking leaving three years ago and yesterday."

"And?"

"I said that I only didn't want to hurt you, by staying when you didn't want me to." I said, feeling that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you say something you really don't want to say.

"You'd really leave just because I wanted you to? What about you? What about what you want?" he looked confused now.

"I've always thought that you come first. I come second, it doesn't matter, what I want, you come first." I felt like a silly parent saying that cause it was true, but it was true. I felt like he did come first.

He looked at me, right in the eyes. Damn he has nice eyes, I quickly thought, they are so pretty. Mind you, I think that about almost everyone's eyes, accept Darry and Dally, theirs aren't nice, like ice, almost.

"Thanks, Terri." He said simply. That was all that needed to be said.
Sign up to rate and review this story