Categories > Books > Outsiders > Picking Up The Peices

Chapter 9: At the Hospital

by masquerade37 0 reviews

DNO. Fun times at the Hospital.

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-04-21 - Updated: 2007-04-22 - 818 words

0Unrated
I woke up in the hospital with a minor headache and many questions. But before any could make themselves known to even me I had my first visitor.

It was a kind faced nurse. "Hello darling. How did you sleep?"

"Ok?" I said, I was slightly confused.

"My name is Margaret, I your nurse." She was really nice. She looked to be Japanese, or Chinese, I couldn't tell but she was about 40, looking at her.

"You want visitors? There are seven: five boys and two girls."

"Ok?"

"I bring them in." She gave me a smile than left.

Not a minute later I heard s firm man's voice speaking to her. "Margaret, please tell them to wait for a minute, I need to make sure she won't die on them."

"You not very optimistic, she seem fine to me- a little confused- but fine none the less." I heard her shoes squeak down the hallway.

The doctor walked in. He was a gruff looking man with a beard, but he had a kind smile. "Hello young lady!"

"What did you mean?" I asked him.

"Come again?" apparently he hadn't known what I meant.

"When you said, 'I need to make sure she doesn't die on them'?"

"Oh! I didn't mean anything. You seemed perfectly healthy- accept your lungs for the moment- last time I checked on you. You are fine."

"So tell it to me straight Doc, am I gonna make it?"

"Well..."

"Oh dear God!" I said throwing my head back onto the pillow.

"I was kidding!" he said concerned, "You will defiantly live, my dear."

"Ok... good."

He checked my chest with the stethoscope, and checked my breathing with a cool ball contraption.

"You're good to go, I'll send them in!"

"Cool."

My hyper friend Lizzie was first through the door.

"WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" she yelled and made a flying lead for me.

"AHHHH!" I ducked and she strategically landed an inch from the bed.

She started laughing at me, as always, while my other friend Riley came running in.

"Hey! How are you feeling?" she was the sensible one of the two... but not by far.

"I've been better, but the doctor says I'll live."

Then through the door came Johnny, Ponyboy, Two-Bit, Dally and Steve.

"Hey guys, where's the rest of the Curtis clan?" I asked suppressing a giggle, Lizzie was jumping up and down and giggling too.

"At work... is there something wrong with her?" Steve asked me, looking concerned and confused.

"She's ok. A bit insane, but ok." She looked at me with her mouth cinched as tightly as possible and her brow furrowed. She looks so funny when she does that.

"Hey." Johnny said from the back of the group.

"Hey, buddy. Where were you?"

"You know, but uh..." he glanced at Ponyboy "what was that racoon thing about?"

I thought back for a moment. I had come back home with cuts and Dad had helped me put iodine on them. Back before he got mean.

"You don't want to know." I decided on telling him.


After hours of talking Steve said, "I have to go to work now, I'll come by later though ok?" He waved and left.

Two-Bit left later for a date and Ponyboy went home to take some aspirin. Dally then was forced to go back to his room (he had burnt his arm trying to get me out of the fire). Riley and Johnny were talking and joking around and left to get lunch, so I was left with Lizzie.

"So Lizzie, found any guys while I was gone?" I asked rhetorically I already knew the answer.

"Well, actually yes." This caught me by surprise.

"I say! Who, may I ask?"

"That dark haired boy who just left. He's really cute! I mean, not like Elvis cute, like HOT cute, I mean, wow. Stop if I'm starting to rant again. But his eyes are so soft, I love them, and... what?"

"I need to tell you something you'll laugh at."

"What... oh before you go I heard about what you did to Sylvia for kissing your brother! Grade A performance.

"Well, that dark haired boy, Johnny is my brother."

Her eyes got wide; I knew what she was thinking. "Oh God, forget I said anything, I didn't mean anything, I just, uh..."

"Lizzie! It's ok. I know you, your not bad news like Sylvia, and she was hurting Johnny, you wouldn't, I know that for a fact." I smiled at her for extra measure.

"Oh well..."

Just then Riley and Johnny came back, they were laughing hysterically.

"What happened to you?" I asked them.

"I just walked... ha ha ha ha... walked into a closed door!" Riley said, clutching her sides, eyes tight shut and gasping for air.

"I'm gonna go ok? I'll take the Great Hysterical One with me." Lizzie said. I knew she was still uncomfortable.
Sign up to rate and review this story