Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > When Your Heart Stops Beating

Chapter 9

by lady_venom_x 6 reviews

Imagine losing years off your life... Keri Atwater works as a bar tender in a local night club. Aside from having a moderately exciting but not the best paying job in the world, something else isn...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Bob Bryar - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-04-24 - Updated: 2007-04-25 - 1447 words

0Unrated
A/N: H'okay. So, I would love to thank Mary (I_Mean_This) for helping me a whole bunch in this chapter. =) She's definitely a life (and sanity) saver. Anyway, this chapter is a little different. I want to start focusing more on Bob, but since he hasn't really been explored much, I have to be very creative. I did a bit of research and included what I could find. Some stuff is most likely fictional, as there wasn't any info.
Also, 10 cookies to the first person to tell me what show I referenced in here =) Read carefully!



- Bob's Point of View

Over the next few days, Keri's friend got progressively better. The morning after the fire, she was up talking and was eager to leave the hospital. Her doctor, Dr. Mansfield would not let her leave until they were certain there was no permanent damage to her lungs. Before leaving the hospital to take Melody home, I finally caved and asked her out for coffee, to catch up. Maybe I might be able to jog her memory a little . . . damn it. I forgot to get her number.

I occupied my time over the next few days doing sound for some local bands at various night clubs around New York. While it is a fun job, I want something more. What I really want is to play in a band. You see, I love the drums and have been playing them since the age of four, it is a big passion for me. I've always wanted to play them professionally, but no opportunities have ever presented themselves.

I have always been quiet, kind of shy and don't like attention, it makes me feel vulnerable. I guess it's because I was never that popular in school, I was always kind of picked on. I kept to myself a lot, and was always doing stuff with music. I was on my high school's drumline and thought about studying orchestral percussion. I then attended college in Florida where I got my degree in recording engineering, when I realized I may never make a career out of drumming.

I landed a job doing sound for the House of Blues about two years ago, when an Indie record label heard what I did for a friend's band. The representative said the sound was excellent and offered me a job on the spot. I've been doing it ever since. I really do enjoy it, sometimes.

My thoughts turned the fire at the club. The police said there was no serious damage to the building, surprisingly, but some renovations need to be made. A lot of the damage was caused by water and smoke, except for the women's washroom, which had to have just about everything replaced. All of the stall doors seem to have melted shut. Keri would be out of a job for a little while, as they needed to do repairs. I'm sure she'll find temporary work. I really should find her number . . .



- Keri's Point of View

It has been a few days since the fire. Melody has been spending a lot of time at my apartment, as I can't leave Pepper alone for extended periods of time. She gets really cranky and scratchy if I'm gone for too long. Pepper enjoys Melody's company, as there is always someone here for her to annoy. I swear she laughs to herself when I have to yell at her for being a bother. She's a very strange cat.

I have a lot of time on my hands right now, as the club is closed for renovations. I was thinking about going to see my mom in Illinois, as I have not seen her in a year. She never comes to visit me; she doesn't like the big city too much. Mom thinks the people here have their heads stuck up their ass', and the city is full of smog. She's right about the smog.
Suddenly, my phone started to ring. I picked it up, but no one was there. I thought it was some stupid kid pranking me, so I didn't think any more of it. Then it rang again. This time, I actually thought of looking at my caller ID.

"Hello, Bob." I said with a smirk. There was something totally irresistible about this guy. He is so mysterious.

"How did you know it was me?" he asked, sounding a little embarrassed. This could be fun.

"Caller ID." I claimed with a bit of a snort. "I forgot to give you my number, how did you find it?"

"The phonebook." Bob said, as if I should have known that. How dumb of me to not think of that. "What's up, Bob?"

"Well, I was wondering if you would like to go for coffee with me sometime," he asked, sounding a little more confident. He was so cute with his boyish charm.

"Yeah, sure. When would you like to go?" I asked.

"How about . . . now? If you have the time that is . . . " Silly statement, of course I had the time. I don't have a job right now, I have nothing but time.

Anyway, we agreed to meet at Starbucks down the street from my apartment. I'm very interested in getting to know him more. I quickly put on some decent street clothes, as I was still in my pyjamas, and headed out the door. It was a very nice day, considering it was the middle of February. There was virtually snow, the last few days' rain washed most of it away. Luckily, the sidewalks were clear of ice - which is great, as I am the klutziest person I know.

I rounded the corner to Starbucks and saw Bob sitting next to the window, coffee in hand. I was starting to wonder how this guy isn't hyper with all of the caffeine he drinks. I smiled to myself, as I pulled open the door and walked inside. The aroma of the hot beverages was almost overwhelming. Many scents wrapped around my senses, it had a comforting feeling. They almost reminded me of Christmas. But how I hate coffee. I don't think I can stress that enough.

"Keri," I heard someone call my name. I turned around and spotted Bob. I got so wrapped up in the smell that I had forgotten what I went there for. I smiled and took a seat across from him at the table. "Do you want anything?" he asked.

"No thanks, I'm fine." I said. He stared at his coffee cup and nodded. Why do I always see him with coffee? I swear, I'm not going to recognize him without it. I felt some awkward silence setting in. I'm not a very good conversationalist. Luckily, a server by the name of Mary, saved the day by bringing Bob a freshly baked scone.


"Here you go, Bob. Made fresh, just for you." Apparently, Bob is a regular. He thanked her and smiled, while giving her a generous tip.

Mary flashed a flirty smile and walked back to the counter. Bob eyed his scone lovingly. He looked so pleased to be in the presence of this Scottish pastry. This seemed to be the greatest love affair of all time, I guess I'm being replaced. Bob looked up from his plate for a split second.

"Do you want a bite?" he asked. He's such a treasure. I smiled politely.

"No thanks, you seem to love it way too much. I will not take that away from you," I giggled.

"I'll tell you, it's like a little piece of heaven," he said. "I don't think I could ever enjoy another pastry like this. Wait, yes I could. Muffins. Oh, and croissants. And banana bread," I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Oh, I'm not high. I used to weigh 300 pounds. I sometimes succumb to temptation, it's a habit."

I nodded slowly, then shook my head as if to knock myself out of a daze. There were just no words to describe this. Suddenly, his phone started to ring. He apologized and excused himself from the table. I eyed his scone. They look kind of gross and over cooked.

Bob returned a few minutes later, looking very happy. Possibly more happy than the greatest love affair with a scone of all time. He sat with a huge smile on his face, busting with energy.

"I've just been offered a position as tour manager for a major band. I'm going on Warped Tour."

Okay, so the scone was the second greatest love affair of all time.




=============

A/N: Mwahahahaha. The last part was fun to write. This was a bitch of a chapter. sigh =)
Sign up to rate and review this story