Categories > Anime/Manga > Pet Shop of Horrors

Waltz of Life

by rufustehshinra 0 reviews

With one missed step, the tempo is shattered. (Implied DxLeon)

Category: Pet Shop of Horrors - Rating: G - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Chris, Count D, Leon - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-05-12 - Updated: 2007-05-12 - 414 words - Complete

1Boring
One, two, three. One, two, three.

They know the steps of this dance well. It comes naturally to both of them, after practicing for so long. Step forward, step back. One gives, one takes. Both yell and scream in a verbal waltz that has been the dance of their relationship since day one. Every step does nothing but lead them around the floor in circles in a bewildering flourish of movement that is awkward at first, but grows more graceful and resolute with every step. Pointless. Nothing but a contest of strength and will over the other until a new element is added to their lives, into the balance of things--a little boy, with golden hair and big innocent blue eyes, and a face just like his older brother's. The little one adds to the dance, adds purpose, and movement, and just the right amount of the closeness that's appropriate for a waltz, and the dancers don't even realize how close together they got while they were whirling.

And whirling.

And whirling.

Until it all just...

Stops.

With one missed step, the tempo is shattered--that steady beat in which they have lived their lives together these last couple years--and they fly apart from the center like a entire world gone off its natural orbit, and the beauty of their dance is gone forever and the dancers are left wondering at how close things were, and why everything went wrong.

Everything changes, and suddenly Leon feels like an ice skater he saw on TV once, chasing his partner across the ice in their dance with all the desperation of the world in a flurry of ice and sequins and flashing blades. Where she fled, he followed, and now it is Leon's turn to do the same.

Wherever D goes, he'll find him, because he can't live without that tempo, and he can't dance without a partner. Without his partner. He knows that now, without a doubt, and it drives him on in their desperate struggle. It's still a dance of give and take, but now their bodies are moving out of sync, and it's up to Leon to find D and bring their steps, their lives, back together.

Because maybe, just maybe, D can't dance this dance by himself either, the waltz of life.

They can get through it together, and maybe this time, there won't be any missed steps to send them toppling with nothing to catch them if they fall.
Sign up to rate and review this story