Categories > Anime/Manga > Digimon > So Much For A Boring Camp!

Phantom Prankster

by Lannie-StarlitTimes 0 reviews

Rika and Takato are sent to a camp over the summer, together. They meet two friends and have fun hanging out until Phantomon goes after Rika and Takato in a haunted house and won't stop following t...

Category: Digimon - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, Humor, Romance - Characters: Rika, Takato - Published: 2007-05-15 - Updated: 2007-05-15 - 2898 words

0Unrated
Um let's see, since this isn't my made up story...well it is but I'm borrowing Rika and Takato from Digimon it's time for a fun disclaimer! (for those who know me in real life you know that I hate writing disclaimers which is why I come up with stories, but I like these two Digimon characters too much from when I was younger so boo-hoo!)

Anyway I'll stop rambling on and get to the disclaimer so you can get to the story! I don't own Digimon, so Rika and Takato aren't my characters...blah blah blah... Um...wait there was something else...so late writing this, I can't think straight...Oh yea!! This story happens like three years after the events in the Tamer series so...Rika and Takato are like 16 years old as well as Jeff and Kai, and Takato is much less dorky-looking and actually quite handsome and taller than Rika!

Camping Special: So Much for a Boring Time at Camp!

Part One: Phantom Prankster

"Man this is so boring! So much for camp activities...we've done nothing all day except sit by the lake and watch people swim," whined Jeffrey Carlson. Jeff had short black hair, dark brown eyes and wore dark blue shorts and a beige t-shirt.

"Dude I'm dying for a swim...there's so many people in the lake that it wouldn't be worth it though," sighed Kai Highwind, shaking his head. Kai had unruly brown hair of medium length and crystal blue eyes. He wore baggy grey-blue cargo pants and a thin black hoodie.

"Where else is there to swim? Camp Starshine only has one lake here and the indoor pool, both of which are full of people...," stated Takato throwing a rock into the water.

"Two lakes," said Rika in a correcting voice as she sat up and smiled at the three boys.

"Rika there's only one lake and it's this one," laughed Jeffrey as if she was making a joke.

"Two lakes...one here that everyone knows about...the other hidden and no one dares go through the forest to get to it..."

"What are you talking about?" asked Kai, intrigued.

"Well two nights ago, I was bored and doing the usual insomniac thing and I decided to go for a walk-"

"But all the cabins are locked after dark...no one can get out...the counsellors do it for safety procedures 'cuz of some of the wild animals," interrupted Jeffrey.

"Pfft! Do you honestly believe...maybe you would...but Gogglehead'll believe me when I say no camp Starshine lock is a match for me!" smirked Rika proudly and Takato laughed, nodding his head in agreement.

"So you're saying you broke out!" gasped Jeffrey (he's one that sticks to most rules).

"Of course I did...I was bored and I needed to go for a walk. It's a free country isn't it?"

"Did anyone try to stop you?" asked Kai, more intrigued by the second (he's totally cool and a bit of a rule breaker himself).

"Well there was only one girl awake...what's her name again? We've been here eight days and I haven't spent much time with them or cared about them so I forget their names a lot...oh yeah it's Tammy! Anyway, she was awake and she asked where I was going and proceeded to lecture me but I ignored her. I remembered her saying something when they all introduced themselves to me about coming to this camp for two years now so I asked her about the forest beside the girl cabins."

"What'd she say?" inquired Takato, knowing that if it was something to tell Rika not to go, Rika was gonna want to go into the forest even more.

"She told me it was dangerous and that the girls hadn't ventured in there after this one girl named Sophie, went in and got attack by a squirrel...figures...total simpering wimps!" laughed Rika and the guys joined in. "Anyway she said not even the girl counsellors go and that no one's explored it 'cuz there's no path."

"So if you went into the forest how'd you get back without a path?" asked Jeffrey worriedly.

"Is he always like this?" Rika asked Kai and he nodded, laughing a little. "There is a path it's just that the girls get too scared to walk like ten feet farther and push some bushes out of the way to find it. I followed it and after like a five-minute walk I found this beautiful lake. I didn't tell anyone about it but if you guys wanna go swimming...we'll have the whole lake to ourselves!" smirked Rika proudly.

"Cool...I'd say go now but its five twenty and me and Jeff have a tennis match with these two dudes from three cabins down in ten minutes. Can we meet you there in about an hour-and-a-half?" asked Kai and Rika glanced at Takato and nodded.

"Sure, it's not that hard to find. Just go to my cabin, 13, and walk straight into the forest behind it, follow the path hidden in the bushes and you'll be there in like five minutes."

------------------BREAK----------------------

"I thought you told Kai and Jeff to go straight on the path to get to the lake?" asked Takato as he and Rika walked in companiable silence. He caught a glimpse of the lake as he followed Rika on a side path to the right.

"Yeah I did."

"Then why are we going right? I can see the lake from here," he stated as Rika dropped her towel and her swim trunks on the ground at the fork in the path and patted some dirt off her cargo pant leg. He dropped his towel beside hers as she lifted her lavender eyes to face him.

"You like paranormal stuff right Gogglehead?" she asked, smirking thoughtfully.

"Yeah."

"Good, c'mon then," she smirked as she walked off down the side path.

"Wait! Wait Rika, what about going swimming? Where are we going?" asked Takato as he rushed after her.

She stopped and pointed forward and as Takato followed its direction, he found himself staring at an old looking, broken-down house.

"One of the counsellors told me about a haunted house somewhere in the forest. I found it when I found the lake and I checked it out...well I didn't go in or anything. I figured, we've got an hour-and-a-half before we gotta meet Kai and Jeff at the lake, you'd probably like to see it."

"But why? Why do something nice all of a...oops that came out wrong! What I mean...well what I mean is...I'm not saying you're not nice I...I just meant..."stammered Takato.

"I get it Gogglehead," smirked Rika. "I...I...It's just that you're always so nice to me and you do things to help me. You found me within the darkness of my own heart when IceDevimon took over. So yeah I'm doing something nice...and if you tell anybody about this when we get back home or even at camp...you'll get it," she threatened as she started towards the house.

"Don't worry Flash, I won't," laughed Takato as he scurried after her.

"I told you not to call me that," snapped Rika as she walked up the front steps of the house.

"Well it's just as fair 'cuz you call me Gogglehead," protested Takato as he tried to turn the doorknob but found it was locked.

"Find a different nickname...Flash is a one-time thing from my grandmother when I was little and I really don't like being reminded of it. Why don't you call me Ri like other people do?" asked Rika as she kneeled down in front of the door, removed a hairpin from one of her cargo pants' pockets and shoved it into the lock.

"That's the point, tons of other people call you Ri but only you call me Gogglehead," Takato reminded her as the lock clicked and Rika pushed open the door, shoving the hairpin back into her pocket. "Got any suggestions? Didn't anyone else ever you give a nickname?"

"No, now are you coming or not?" asked Rika impatiently as she stalked into the house. Takato sighed and walked in after her.

----------------BREAK----------------

They searched the house silently for about forty minutes until a blue light caught their attention and the two teens slowly approached the room where it was coming from. It was a large bedroom and the four-poster was old, tattered and eaten up by moths.

Rika cautiously approached the doorway from where the blue glow was coming from and found a walk-in closet. The closet was about four and a half feet wide and ten feet long. It was completely empty except for a small box at the very back.

Curiosity overcame a feeling caution in both teens and they walked to the back and crouched in front of the small box. Rika slowly opened it and took out the small card inside, staring at it curiously. The blue glow stopped as she read the glowing writing. "A phantom prankster says ha, ha, ha stupid Famers."

Takato and Rika exchanged confused glances.

"Famers?" asked Takato and Rika shrugged, being just as confused as he was.

"It's written Tamers! Tamers, not Famers! My writing isn't that bad!" shrieked a voice from the doorway and the two teens turned to see Phantomon floating in the doorway, a mocking look on his face.

"What in the hell are-" started Rika but she never finished as Phantomon waved goodbye and laughed as he slammed the door shut. She ran to it and tried the handle but it wouldn't open. "He obviously doesn't realize that I'm the master of picking locks," laughed Rika as she took the hairpin from her pocket and shoved it in the keyhole. Suddenly the hairpin shot out of the keyhole and flew across the room, landing on the floor and Rika groaned.

"He put a spell on it didn't he?" asked Takato as Rika moaned and slid to the ground, her back against the door. She nodded and looked around the room.

"Great, I'm locked in a walk-in closet, in an old abandoned house, hidden in the woods of a summer camp that's in the middle of nowhere," she groaned, then, glancing at Takato, she added, "with Gogglehead. Things just couldn't get any worse!"

"Sure being locked in here sucks but what's wrong with me?" asked Takato defensively, getting up, walking the middle of the room and staring at Rika.

"Nothing it's just...you're...well you're...you...and that's all I'm gonna say," said Rika, looking away from him and instead at the wall to her right. He shrugged and fingered Phantomon's card in his hands.

She got up and kicked at the door furiously, sending vibrations through the floor, the walls and the ceiling. Seeing that the door wasn't going to open with force she muttered angrily under her breath and turned to look at Takato, who was still staring at the card.

She looked up at the ceiling above him and gasped when she saw Phantomon's head sticking out of the ceiling and his arms shaking the chandelier to make it fall. The Digimon glanced at Rika and noticed she was going to warn Takato and so he smiled and flicked his hand at her, tossing a spell to take her words away as she tried to warn Takato.

She groaned and lunged at Takato as the chandelier fell and they landed on the ground roughly, out of the chandelier's range as it crashed to the ground and exploded, sending glass shards everywhere. Takato put his arm around Rika and used his zipper hoodie to shield them from the shards.

As he removed their shield, Rika looked up and found her lavender eyes met pale brown ones. His face was no more than three inches from hers. "Thanks Rika," he smiled sweetly and Rika flushed before swiftly getting up and shaking the shards from her clothing.

She picked up the small box in which they'd found the card and used the lid to sweep the broken chandelier into it. Takato sighed, shook his head and pushed himself to his feet as Rika put the box back in it's place. She resumed her place near the door and he sat down on a small stool that was in the closet as an awkward silence filled the gap between them.

"Ruki," she said slowly some twenty minutes later.

"Excuse me?" asked Takato confusedly as he lifted his head and looked up at her.

She leaned her head back against the door and sighed. "Ruki...you asked me if anyone else had ever given me a nickname well...when I was really little, my grandfather, he made it up for me 'cuz when he'd ask me to write my name I'd get it wrong and write it like that. He's the only one that's ever called me that and no one else has since he died when I was eleven," said Rika in a sad tone.

"I'm sorry about that...I...I can't...I couldn't call you that Rika...that was something special between you and your grandfather who isn't here anymore. I-It wouldn't be right if I called you that...," said Takato, shaking his head.

Rika smiled a little and looked up at him, "I don't mind. In fact...I think it would remind me of him and it'd be a memory of him I haven't pushed away...I think it'd be good...if you don't mind," confessed Rika in a sweet tone that Takato had rarely heard her use before. She only spoke so sweetly and calmly when she shared secrets and memories from her past with him, and only him, in rare defenceless moments, like this one.

He smiled sweetly again and nodded, "ok...Ruki it is then." Their gazes locked on one another for a moment before Rika tore her eyes away and got up, trying to search the door for a way to break it or something.

She found nothing and sighed, stomping her foot on the ground. She froze and stomped again, before couching to the ground and hitting the floor.

"What are you-?"

"Shh!" whispered Rika curtly as she continued hitting the floor. She cried triumphantly and motioned for Takato to get off the stool. "The floor is very weak there and should break away easily, then, we could try and find a way down and out of this place!" she cried happily, as she lifted the stool above her head and smashed it to the floor.

A loud cracking noise sounded through the room and as she lifted the stool again and smashed it down, a fracture formed itself in the floor. Takato took a wary step back and as she struck the floor with the stool a third time, it fell away. Too much fell away as the floor beneath Rika's feet crumbled with it and she screamed as she fell downwards, letting the stool go and it went crashing to the floor quite a ways beneath her.

The weight of the floor and the stool and a huge chandelier that was on the ceiling of the floor beneath them crashed into the old wooden floor, it collapsed and flew downwards to the basement.

Rika's whole body tensed as her fall was stopped and she felt a warm hand, holding on to her own. She looked up and found Takato lying on the ground and reaching down to catch her hand. She glanced down and noticed just how far the basement floor was and swallowed hard, trying to force back the image of her falling and plummeting towards the unwelcoming pile of sharp chandelier pieces and spikes of broken wood floor.

"Don't worry, I'm not gonna let you fall...just hang on and I'll pull you up," breathed Takato. He took a deep breath and pulled her up over the edge and back on firm ground. "Looks like we're even now eh?" laughed Takato as he got up and held his hand out to Rika who took it and he helped her up.

"Yeah...I guess so...I wouldn't be here if you hadn't helped...," said Rika as she walked to the edge of the hole in the floor and peered down into it. She walked over to the small cabinets in the walk-in closet and opened them, finding all of them empty except the last, where she found a large sheet that she pulled out and shook free of cobwebs and dust.

She went back to the hole and tied the end of the sheet around a large plank of wood that was sticking out farther than the rest and then threw the rest down.

"We have to get out of here...," sighed Rika as she looked up at Takato and pointed to the sheet. "Are you coming?"

-----------------BREAK----------------------

Hi, Lannie here again (some ppl are probably thinking 'oh no, not again!') but don't worry I won't hold you up with ramblings like I did at the beginning. I just wanted to say that if anyone asks yes I know that Ruki is her Japanese name but I needed a cute nickname and that's what kept popping into my head. So ya go on, there's two more chapters...amusez-vous!
Sign up to rate and review this story