Categories > Celebrities > AFI > December Starlight

Chapter 18

by horsie890 0 reviews

Chapter 18

Category: AFI - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst, Drama, Fantasy - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-05-22 - Updated: 2007-05-23 - 1576 words

0Unrated
Davey walked through the halls at a slow pace, smiling as he saw the people of the Despair Faction around every corner. A few of them smiled back. They seemed content, finally.

"Davey!" He turned suddenly, and his face lit up instantly.

"Hunter," said Davey, feeling happy tears come to his eyes. "You're okay." Hunter ran up to him.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I tried to get Adam to follow me, but he found a bunch of rabbits and can't stop staring at them. He thinks they're cute." Davey laughed. That sounded like something Adam would do. He followed Hunter down the hallway.

"So, what's been going on?" Hunter asked him. Davey sighed.

"It's a long story. You probably don't even know how long it's been, do you?" he asked. Hunter shook his head. Davey was about to respond when a familiar voice broke into their conversation.

"Come back here!"

Hunter and Davey smirked knowingly and hurried towards the sound. Both tried not to laugh at what they saw.

Adam, looking more determined than they had ever seen him, was chasing a small black and white rabbit around the room. Unfortunately for him, it was much faster and easily eluded him. The frightened animal effortlessly dodged every obstacle in its way, while Adam had to run around everything.

"Wow, Adam, chasing after rabbits. You've reached a new low," said Davey with a laugh. Hunter laughed as well. Adam looked up in shock, and the rabbit escaped to safety.

"Hi guys," he said nonchalantly, standing up and brushing himself off. His eyes suddenly widened.

"Davey! You're alive!"

Davey laughed again. "It was you two I was worried about." He began sharing the story with them. Adam stopped him after a minute or so.

"Davey, you can't be serious," he said skeptically, still looking around for the rabbit. "I mean, come on. Magic? That's just ridiculous."

Davey's response was a weak jet of fire that singed the very ends of Adam's hair. His eyes widened in shock, while Hunter laughed.

"I don't think he's joking, Adam," he said. Davey smirked.

"Jade wasn't sure what to think, either. But you'll get used to it."

"Hey, speaking of Jade, where is he? He's okay, right?" Hunter asked with worry in his tone. Davey nodded, a sad look crossing his face.

"He's fine...but I don't think he's going to forgive me if Nex dies." He looked toward the doorway, hearing someone enter. "Hey, Ash, what is it?"

"Shade's awake. He wants to talk to you," the girl responded. Davey nodded, following her out of the room. Hunter and Adam exchanged a glance.

"Want to help me find that rabbit?" Adam asked eagerly. Hunter sighed.

"I might as well. Otherwise you'll be here for the rest of your life trying to catch it," he said with a laugh.
-
"He's in there," said Ash, motioning to a door a few feet away. Davey nodded and walked into the room. To his surprise, Shade was standing and looking out a window on the far wall. The black-haired boy turned upon hearing him enter, and his face lit up.

"You look like you're doing better," said Davey with a smile. Shade nodded.

"I just needed some sleep, as I said." He returned his gaze to the window, and Davey approached him.

"I checked on Nex," he said quietly, unable to keep the worry out of his voice. Shade's face fell.

"I'm worried about her, and there's nothing I can really do to help. I don't have much skill in the way of healing; that's her field of expertise."

"What about when you helped me?" Davey asked. Shade sighed.

"I had every magician in the Despair Faction channeling their power through me. I wasn't actually doing anything; you have them to thank. That's not why I'm worried, though." Shade sat down on the floor as he spoke. Davey joined him. "I looked inside her mind. Her dreams are quickly becoming nightmares. She's afraid to wake up."

"I don't understand," Davey said, frowning. Shade sighed.

"It's complicated. When a person is in tune with magic, it makes everything seem more...real, I guess. It can make your dreams seem like they're really happening. And if it's a nightmare..." Shade let his voice trail off ominously.

"...then you think it's real," Davey finished. Shade nodded.

"There have even been times when I've woken up and found that something I dreamed about really did happen. Magic can be that powerful."

"Will that happen to me?" Davey asked, suddenly fearful. He had had his share of nightmares, most of which he wanted to forget.

"It wouldn't surprise me." Shade left out his other thoughts on the matter. There was no point in worrying Davey. "Anyway, I wanted to ask if you could do something for me."

"Like what?"

"I think you should speak to the Despair Faction. Formally."

Davey swallowed nervously, but said nothing.

"They deserve to know what's happened. And about Nex."

"Why can't you tell them?" Davey asked placidly, instantly regretting it. He realized the reason as soon as he finished speaking.

"Because you're our leader now, Davey. Everyone looks up to you." Davey nodded.

"Jade wouldn't even speak to me," he said sadly. "I think he hates me."

"I don't think he hates you," said Shade, eyes narrowing as if he was focusing on something. "He feels...betrayed."

"How do you know?" Davey asked in surprise. Shade half smiled.

"I can see and sense things called auras. They're fields of energy around every living thing. It's how I can tell what people are feeling - sometimes even thinking - including Jade. If I use the right spell I can find people with certain auras." Davey couldn't smile. He stared out the window listlessly. It overlooked an open, empty courtyard completely highlighted by the moon. He hadn't seen the moon in a long time.

"Shade...is Nex going to live?" he finally asked. Shade did not respond right away.

"I didn't want to worry you, but you have a right to know. With Nex's magic as erratic as it is right now...if she dies in a nightmare, there is a chance she will actually die. A small chance, but one nonetheless. And remember Stella?" Davey's heart nearly stopped at the mention of the girl's name. The look in his eyes was enough answer for Shade. "She was definitely still a Ghost, but not completely so. Just like Nex. Neither human nor Ghost." He let out a sigh. "She led a very tortured life. Always fighting against the very evil that created her.

"My main worry is that, because they are so similar, they may be sharing life energy. Possibly even dreams, and if that's the case, they could come into conflict. If one lives through this ordeal, both live. If one dies-"

"-They both die," Davey finished for him. Shade nodded grimly.

"Hence the problem. There may be a way to save her, though. It all depends on Stella."

"What about Stella?"

"Well, whether she's alive or not. If I knew I would be able to make a decision much faster." His eyes narrowed even further, almost completely blocking the moonlight from his hazel eyes. "And at the moment I'm having a great deal of trouble finding her."

"What do you mean 'finding her'?" asked Davey. He hoped he wasn't annoying Shade with all his questions, especially since he was supposed to be the one in charge, but the young magician seemed happy to answer him.

"I'm having trouble locating her aura. Ghosts' auras are red. Those of people in the Despair Faction are black or blue, generally. Remember when I let you and Jade see the castle as I saw it? Through magic?"

"Yeah, it was outlined in red and there was that weird cloud floating over it." Shade nodded.

"The red energy you saw was a result of there being so many Ghosts in one place. It began to take control of the castle...I can still sense it in places..." Shade then smiled, to Davey's relief. "But now that you're here, it will melt away with time, as will the snow and ice. The rain, Davey. Do you realize how long it has been since any of them have seen the rain? Before now, I never have. This land has been frozen that long." Shade's eyes seemed to glow with happiness as he spoke. "I cannot wait to see the sun."

Davey placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "You won't have to wait much longer, Shade," he said with determination. "The sun will rise soon." Shade shook his head.

"No, it storms during the day; it has done so ever since Alchior lost power over this land. I fear that until we know the truth about Stella, this may continue, snow, rain, or otherwise."

"I promised you I would save them, Shade. The Despair Faction, and my friends. Well," Davey said with a smile, "I haven't let you down yet, have I?"

"Shade!" called the voice of a frightened girl. Shade abruptly turned at the sound, seeing Ash standing in the doorway. Droplets of water sparkled in her eyes.

"What is it, Ash?" he asked in a soothing voice, seeing that she was upset. She nearly fell to her knees as she spoke in a hushed, strained voice. Her nearly whispered words sent terror shooting through their hearts like an icy spear.

"Nex is dead."
Sign up to rate and review this story