Categories > Original > Drama

In a Different Place

by Izumi 0 reviews

This is a short play about three girls coping with their best friend's death. Yes, there are two curse words within,thus the rating, but it is the personality of the character. I toned it down for ...

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-05-30 - Updated: 2007-05-30 - 1010 words - Complete

0Unrated
In a Different Place
Characters:
NATIA: a young girl who is very upset about the death of her friend, Evalynn. She is stubborn and cocky, but really wants comfort and a feeling of friendship.
KATIE: an athletic girl with a lot on her plate. She is an excellent student, and hopes to go to college on a scholarship. She is very confused and works herself to exhaustion to keep from thinking about Evalynn's death.
SARAH: An outgoing and inquisitive girl. She seems to be handling Evalynn's death the easiest, though that may just be a front. She wants to honor Evalynn by making friends with those Evalynn was closest to.
EDITH CRAWSHUCK: one of the school's guidance counselors. She is helping the three girls deal with the death of their close friend. She is in her late forties, and after dealing with strange, rowdy kids all the time, and all of the stress from Evalynn's death she has started getting even more grey hair.
SETTING: a high school counseling office. There is a large wooden desk stage right where Mrs. Crawshuck sits. In one of the chairs across from her sits a young girl about sixteen years old. Natia and Mrs. Crawshuck are discussing the death of Evalynn Miller, Natia's good friend. Mrs. Crawshuck is trying to help, but Natia refuses to cooperate.
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: How are you today Natia? I know it's going to take some time, but -
NATIA: (dazed) I suppose I'm alright.
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: What do you feel right now?
NATIA: Nothing.
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: Your parents are worried about you; they said you haven't been eating.
(Natia doesn't reply.)
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: You need to eat to stay strong, for Evalynn.
NATIA: What do you know about what Evalynn wants? (getting angry) You don't care what people really feel. Besides, you didn't even know her!
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: Now Natia that's not -
NATIA: Fuck that, and don't bring up my family either. You don't know shit about my life! MRS. CRAWSHUCK: Natia, that's enough, please calm down.
NATIA: (getting up) I'm leaving.
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: It's normal to feel anger after you lose someone close to you. Just take some time and come see me again.
(Natia exits Left. A little later in the afternoon Katie enters Left wearing gym clothes and sweating a little. She has bags under her eyes and it is quite obvious that she hasn't been sleeping.)
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: Hello Katie, come sit down.
(Katie plops in the chair)
KATIE: (sighs) Hey Mrs. C.
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: How are you feeling today?
KATIE: Exhausted, but alright. I only cried once today.
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: It's good that you've filled your time, but I don't want you to over do it. You need a rest once in a while.
KATIE: But, then I think about Eva. I need to keep busy. I don't want to think.
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: I know, but you can't quit working toward your goals. You could get a scholarship for soccer, just don't get yourself hurt.
KATIE: (chuckles) Yeah, unless Gabby beats me to it. (Katie's chuckling turns to sobs.) I just can't believe she's gone! Why did she have to die?
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: It was unfortunate, but the car accident wasn't your fault.
(A random student pops into the room from Left)
STUDENT: (out of breath) Mrs. Crawshuck, you're needed in the library. Some kid is having a breakdown. He's screaming about snorting milk bubbles and biting kneecaps!
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: Not again, I'm sorry Katie, but we'll have to continue another time.
(Mrs. Crawshuck and the student hurriedly leave stage Left. Katie slowly grabs a tissue, blows her nose, and turns to leave when another girl enters from Left.)
SARAH: Where did Mrs. Crawshuck go?
KATIE: (looking at the floor) She went to the library. Some kid is having a fit.
SARAH: Oh, I see. I'm Sarah; what are you here for?
KATIE: That's not really any of your business.
SARAH: I bet it's because of Evalynn. You were friends with her too right?
KATIE: Yeah. Listen, I have to go now. (She starts to leave)
SARAH: Hey, just wait! I didn't mean to be rude, it's just that... well, I was thinking since we were both friends of hers maybe we could... I don't know, talk, maybe.
KATIE: What do you mean exactly, why should we talk?
SARAH: Well, I thought it would be nice to share her memory with someone else close to her. I never really took time to meet all of her friends, she had so many, but I remember she said that she had three best friends. Me, you, and some other girl named Natia. (She pauses) She said that we were all different, but that was what made us all special to her, and she hoped that one day we could all be friends and hangout together.
KATIE: Well, I'm busy with soccer... but, I suppose we could maybe meet sometime to talk. I could probably set something up with Mrs. Crawshuck, for the first time at least, I'm not quite comfortable just meeting up at someone's house or anything just yet.
SARAH: I understand. That would be great.
KATIE: By the way, I've met Natia before, and I doubt she will come. She is sort-of, a loose canon, and stubborn to boot, but we'll try I guess.
SARAH: Great. I'll let you get back to practice now.
(A week later, Sarah and Katie sit with Mrs. Crawshuck in the office. They are sitting in a circle of chairs sharing stories, laughing and crying. Katie is telling a story about a time at summer camp, when there is a knock on the door. Mrs. Crawshuck gets up and goes over and Natia walks in.)
MRS. CRAWSHUCK: I'm glad you decided to come, Natia.
NATIA: I figure it couldn't hurt any to make friends with girls Eva was so fond of.
(Mrs. Crawshuck returns to the circle and Natia pulls up a chair to join them. The curtain falls as Katie starts her story over for the whole group.)
Sign up to rate and review this story