Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Moonlight

Scroll 1: In the beginning...

by kirayasha 1 review

A sesshomaru story...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Sesshoumaru, Other - Warnings: [R] - Published: 2005-11-25 - Updated: 2005-11-26 - 12173 words

1Insightful
Moonlight
The Author wishes to thank Ithilwen, master Beta extraordinaire (no pun intended bad or otherwise!), wielder of the Mighty Mace of Character Continuity, Protector of participles, and exciser of extraneous Japanese expressions...Without her help, this little train wreck of a story would be more of a national disaster... you know, the type where you call out the national guard & stuff...Anyways, Ith, I feel I owe you big time here! So thank you once again; you're appreciated far more than you'll ever know...

The Author also wants to dedicate this rewrite to Ash...who loved this story in its original form...


Scroll one: In the beginning...

"These are the women my lord."

"Have they been separated yet?" Inutaisho said as he watched the young lieutenant struggle with showing the proper amount of respect without seeming too overly solicitous. A pity you had to go and get yourself killed like that, Nobuyuki... Shit! Now I'm going to have to start all over again with this one. He groaned inwardly. Old friend you have no idea how much I had come to depend on you in times like these... he thought as he looked over at the women then back at his new adjunct. Why do they always act like this until I sit them down and drink sake with them? Shut up, Nobuyuki! I know they think I came down from the heavens a full blown general...but is it too much to ask for one at least to realize, and quickly, that I came up through the ranks just like they did...?

"Hai!" the young lieutenant answered quickly. "They were separated into the old, the young, those who would be useful in the kitchen and those who would do well at other...things."

"Let's go," Inutaisho said as he walked over to where the women waited, while his new adjunct dogged his heels.

The two walked amongst the women who were gathered there for inspection; they were a mix of inu and yamainu-youkai from a small fiefdom that bordered the lands of the great Inutaisho and the wolves in the northern mountains. It was a small valley, of no great importance. The invasion had been nothing more than a training exercise for the new recruits. The fact that the only real spoils were a large number of poorly-defended women almost made the whole exercise not worth the trouble...except Inutaisho was not one to overlook a pretty face. The few human captives were slaughtered as a precaution against an attack by the Taijiya. While they could never wipe out his army, Inutaisho knew they could do serious damage and he wished to avoid it.

As they walked along the rows of women, Inutaisho would stop and first speak with the men in charge of guarding the captives before casting his gaze over the women. Inutaisho walked up and down the line of captives followed by his adjunct and he would occasionally point one or two out so they would be brought forward for a better look at them. The young lieutenant found he had a hard time dogging at Inutaisho's heels, as the older man moved quickly past the old and those who were slated to become servants until he found what he was looking for; the younger women. There were several women in his court who were from conquered lands and he was always on the lookout for more, as he found them interesting. Having a keen eye for beauty in all its forms, the dog general picked out a few and instructed his men to bring them to his tent. He then nodded at the lieutenant and left for his tent.

Once there, Inutaisho took a few minutes to speak with each captive as they were brought in and he would occasionally have his adjunct write things down after she left. Inutaisho was pleased to find a set of twins and he made special note to have them removed from the others.

"Make sure you keep these two aside, as they are a special gift for my wife," he said to the lieutenant who brought the girls in as the man left.
"Inutaisho-sama, may this one ask you a question?" Hiroyoshi, the lieutenant assigned as his adjunct said.

"Hai..." the dog general said as he tried to keep the amusement out of his voice.

"Aren't they a bit young ...for your wife?" he asked nervously.

"Young? I'm not sure I understand you...just what do you mean by 'young'?" Inutaisho asked innocently.

"They're ummm... too young...unless the Lady Atsuimi is going to... ummm...train them?" Hiroyoshi swallowed and closed his eyes as he prayed Inutaisho would catch his meaning.

"Why would she train a pair of household servants? Atsuimi-hime's time is better spent on far more important things than teaching the pair of them how to sew or tidy their mistress' rooms. And while she is devoted to her mistress, I think my wife will want to do it herself. Now have them bring in the next girl."

Inutaisho had found several others who would be given as rewards to those captains who had served him well on this mission.

"Make sure you have the list written down carefully as I don't want a repeat of last time."

"Hai..." Hiroyoshi said airily as he consulted his lists. "'Last time', sir?"
"Hai! I had two women mixed up with disastrous results. Let's just say it's a good thing Matsuhito has several fine sons as I don't think he'll be siring any more..." he said dryly as got up and stretched.

It was when he had decided to head outside for a breath of fresh air to clear his head that the last girl was brought to him. He had been busy looking over a few of his scrolls and discussing them with one of his men when the tent became suddenly stifling and he felt a strong urge to get away from everything. He had turned back to clarify something for the captain, when she entered. Inutaisho momentarily closed his eyes at the sound of her hurried footsteps and he could hear the soft panting sound of her breathing as she caught her breath and he laughed to himself at mental image he had of Hiroyoshi half dragging her across the compound as he hurried to comply with his orders. It was as Inutaisho turned around to dismiss her as well as his men that he found his breath had caught in his throat when he saw her, for she looked so achingly familiar to him. The girl meanwhile stood there rooted to the spot as she trembled with fear and she closed her eyes while he gazed at her.

He chuckled to himself, before speaking to her, after deciding he could wait. "What is your name, wench?"

The girl swallowed and tried to answer but the words wouldn't come out and Inutaisho was reminded of the time when he first met her ten years ago as the young girl before him appeared to be about the same age she was when they had met. The only difference was this girl who now stood before her was youkai, while the other was human. While he waited patiently for her to find her tongue, Inutaisho looked her over and found her to be just as tall as the human woman and as delicately built.
"Your name, wench..." he said softly as he held up his hand to stop the adjunct from striking her when she failed to answer.

"Answer your lord when he speaks to you! Or are you too stupid too?" Hiroyoshi hissed in her ear.

"Hiroyoshi...you're scaring her..." Inutaisho said softly. "She needs a gentle touch and besides, I have all day...I don't mind admiring her beauty while she finds her tongue..." He smiled and beckoned the younger man to come stand near him. Hiroyaoshi took one last look at the girl before complying. "Look at the soft gentle curve of her ear...and its delicate tip...such a beautiful point it has, ne? There was only one other time when I saw such beauty before..." He looked over at his adjunct and back at the girl. "You know, Hiroyoshi, I believe we are privileged to witness such perfection." He smiled and was pleased to see she returned it. "And look at her face... have you ever seen skin so smooth and so white on one whose hair is so dark? I bet she has yamainu blood too as her face doesn't have any markings..." Inutaisho discussed the girl as if she were not there which seemed to calm her down enough to finally reply to his earlier question.

"I am called Tsukikage, my lord," the girl said softly.

"'Moonlight?' How pretty...and it suits you too..." He smiled at her before turning to address his adjunct. "Anyway she looks rather smart don't you think, Hiroyoshi? In fact, I think she'll make a fine geisha, ne?" He looked into her dark eyes and was happy to see some of the fear had left them. "Hiroyoshi, have this one brought to me after seeing the others off to where they belong." Having dismissed them, Inutaisho waited for them to leave before he headed outside.

Tsukikage stood there where Hiroyoshi had left her and she watched quietly as the others were herded off. She had the feeling that she was being watched so she decided to do nothing that would call attention to herself. Time enough to plan my escape later on when things have calmed down and I have been forgotten, /she thought. /Stupid woman! That's one way to get yourself killed ... or worse! That thought came to her as she watched an older woman try to protect a young girl from being handled roughly by some of the men as they were taken away. She was shaken out of her reverie by Hiroyoshi when the lieutenant came and told her she was expected back in the dog general's tent. She walked next him as he pulled her along, although she would have preferred to have followed him. She guessed he thought she would try and run away even though she would never have gotten very far in the short way they traveled.

Tsukikage at first spent the morning sitting quietly in the youkai lord's tent as she watched him pack up his things in preparation for leaving. Inutaisho for the most part ignored her presence, except for the time he asked to make him some tea. He handed her a pot to boil water in before she could ask for one and then he dismissed her and went back to packing his scrolls. Tsukikage left the tent and as she stood there wondering where she was going to get the water from, one of Inutaisho's officers came to her aid. She then went back in and found the rest of the things she needed set out on a tray next the small brazier that heated the tent. She watched silently as his officers came and went as the day wore on. Each time they appeared Inutaisho would stop briefly to speak with them while Tsukikage silently went about serving tea. As Tsukikage served tea to various officers, she wondered if Inutaisho had decided she was to be a servant of sorts after all, since everyone acted as if she were invisible. Smiling to herself at this turn of good fortune, she wondered if she could in fact take advantage of the situation to make good her escape.

Perhaps if I spend more time out here I can see how long it'll take them to notice I'm gone.../she thought as she paused in the tent's entry way. /Maybe if I take a bit longer each time I can finally escape. She was lost in thought when she heard the commotion outside and as she looked around to see the cause of it she saw a woman who had been caught escaping. It was enough of a deterrent as somehow the thought of being a servant did not look half so bad when the alternative was getting a beating.

As she had nothing much to do other than make and serve tea, the day seemed to drag on for her and Tsukikage spent the time thinking about the youkai lord. She wondered what it was about her that he found so fascinating, for she often caught him looking at her and once when he was busy with a few of his men he thanked her absent mindedly and called her "Koishii."

'Koishii'...I wonder why he called me that when I barely know him...could it be I've been chosen to be his consort? But he is so old...and shouldn't his wife be enough for him? Maybe she's old too and wants another pup and can't have one... Tsukikage sighed as she left to make yet another pot of tea as well see about some food being brought to the tent. I suppose it would be considered a great honor to bear his pup for her, but don't geisha have other duties? I wish I knew more about the pillow world...or even more about pillowing in general...Haha-ue why couldn't you have taken the time to explain things better? she thought as she paused to get an officer's attention.

"Gomen nasai...Captain-sama...but I-" she started to say be fore he interrupted her.

"What are you stupid, wench? I'm not a captain! Shit! Do you want to get me in trouble for your stupidity?" She shook her head at him. "What the hell do you want? I don't have time for your bullshit, so if you were going to ask me to bed you for a few coins..." the lieutenant said impatiently.

"Gomen nasai...Lieutenant-san...Inutaisho-dono-sama wants some dinner to be brought to his tent, that's all..." she interrupted as she felt her cheeks go red.

"Hai! Tell our lord it will be brought to him shortly," he said curtly as he dismissed her and hurried off. Tsukikage watched him go before going back to another round of making and serving tea.

888

Tsukikage was hungry as she hadn't eaten anything all day and the smells that came wafting up from the tray that was thrust into her waiting hands made her mouth water. She noticed sadly that it was only enough for one and she wished Inutaisho would dismiss her so she could eat something before she went to sleep that night. That lead to thoughts about exactly where she was going to spend the night. She wondered tearfully if she was going to end up in the dog general's bed, for at fourteen she was old enough to have a husband even if her older brother had been remiss in his duty to find her one...

"Inutaisho-dono-sama...? Your dinner is here," Tsukikage said softly as she brought the tray over to where he was seated, studying another batch of scrolls.

"Arigatou...Have you eaten anything, Child?" Inutaisho said as he moved aside the scrolls so that Tsukikage could set the tray down in front of him.

"Iie...but I am fine," she lied and her stomach betrayed her by rumbling loudly. "Gomennasai..." she all but whispered as she blushed.

He raised an eyebrow at her, and shrugging, he ate a few bites of the pickled vegetables and rice before he declared himself full. "Here, you may finish this...and when you are done take it with you and go get some rest..."

"Arigatou...my lord." She bowed to him and gratefully ate the remains of his dinner. Inutaisho watched her struggle with wolfing it down for a few minutes, before he got up and left the tent. Tsukikage had just finished the last remaining morsel and hearing a noise she looked around and was surprised to see the lieutenant called Hiroyoshi was back.

"Inutaisho-dono-sama has stepped out for a moment, Lieutenant-san..." she said with a bow.

"Hai! I know that. I'm here to take you to the tent where the other women are sleeping," he told her. "Leave that!"

"Gomennasai, Lieutenant-san...but I was told to take it with me when I left," Tsukikage said as she picked up the food tray.

Sighing, Hiroyoshi walked over to her and took the tray from her. As they left the tent he found a passing foot soldier and handing him the tray, curtly instructed him to take care of it. With a look over his shoulder to see if she was still following him, Hiroyoshi led the way to the tents where the captive women were being held.

Tsukikage was relived to finally be dismissed as she was exhausted and the thought of sleeping here with the other women made her feel less afraid. She found the thought of sharing the dog general's bed a scary one; no matter how nice he was to her nor how attractive she found him she was glad to be here.

Tired as she was, Tsukikage found it hard to fall asleep right away, and she found herself thinking about her new lord and master again. As she looked around the tent she noticed that they were just as heavily guarded in their tent as they were outside of it but it did not bother her at all. Before too long she had fallen asleep and after what felt like minutes, Tsukikage and the others were awaken and loaded onto a cart for the long ride back to the palace.

It was long exhausting ride and she slept fitfully during it, before finally arriving at the palace a few days later. The women hardly spoke to each other during the trip, yet Tsukikage could see they were just as happy as she was when they were allowed to remain unmolested and together during the trip.

Tsukikage found she was unable to get the tall youkai lord out her thoughts and she wondered if she was going to be given to him or someone else. Now that she was effectively orphaned by the battle, she knew no one would care now what happened to her and if that was the sort of life she was to lead, then so be it. Before she knew it, she was being escorted through the halls and gardens of the palace until she reached the main room where the demon lord held court.

As she entered the room, she was roughly pushed to the floor in a deep bow before she had a chance to do it herself and a harsh "Bow before your lord and master! Have you no respect, wench?" was hissed in her ear. She remained there for several seconds until she heard him call her name. Then she sat up and at his beckoning moved herself closer while once again bowing low to the floor. She sat there at the foot of a low platform while Inutaisho finished his business and dismissed the captain. They were now alone except for the discrete presence of the guards that lined the walls of the room. The two of them sat there as they talked about nothing in particular, until he dismissed the guards with a wave of his hand. Now that she was alone with him, Tsukikage wondered just what he would do to her. He could just rape me right here or even slit my throat and no one would do anything about it! I bet they wouldn't even hear me if I screamed...or mostly likely they would all swear they didn't hear... she thought. No wonder he managed to take and hold all the Western Lands in so short a time. Maybe I am to be his consort... for that would be better than a life spent in the kitchens, then again maybe not. Pleased with herself and at the same time worried about her fate/,/ she smiled at him as he got up and came over to her. He held his hand out to her and she hesitantly took it as he helped her up. Once again they locked eyes and this time he was the first to look away.

"Come! The time has come for you to start your training," Inutaisho said quietly as he turned to walk away, fully expecting Tsukikage to follow. Gods, she is the very image of my beloved /Izayoi...which could be a problem if Inukouhi thinks I'm replacing Izayoi with a younger version, but how can I convince her that I'm not?/ He sighed. Shit! I haven't even thought about what I'm going to do with the girl yet...I suppose I could always give her to Takahara or maybe I can have her trained as geisha. He looked over his shoulder at Tsukikage to see if she was following. Maybe Ryoushi can be persuaded to teach her the same things he's teaching Sesshomaru, this way she'll have something interesting to talk about instead of the usual nonsense... Inutaisho thought with a smile.

Tsukikage's eyes widened at the thought of just what kind of training she was about to get and she suddenly felt afraid that he would in fact rape her under the guise of giving her "training." She wondered where, in this vast maze of a palace, where no one would hear her screams if anything did happened to her, he was taking her. He simply started onwards as if he expected her to follow, so she did. Inutaisho sensing her fear, talked about nothing much in particular and when she seemed calmer he asked her if she knew how to play the poetry game. He was surprised that she did, so they spent the rest of their walk playing.

"Sunlight danced upon the water like a jewel," Inutaisho-dono-sama started.

"Koi swim like rainbows beneath its cool waters," Tsukikage replied.

"Dragonflies skim across the surface like always," He laughed. "That was a hard one; let us move onto the shore instead."

"Hai!" She smiled in agreement. "The old frog sings his song to proclaim his kingdom."

"Good, good....ano..." Inutaisho-dono-sama thought for a minute. "New formed bud shows the promise of the flower to come."

"Fireflies dance in the evening like falling stars."

"Ano...ano...I find for once I cannot come up with anything. So I will declare you the winner." He smiled at her.

"Arigatou, Inutaisho-dono-sama...I've never won before!" she said with delight and he was pleased that he could see the fear leaving her eyes.

"Besides, we are nearly there." They walked down the long corridor before the youkai lord paused in front of a door at the end of it.

"We are here now," he said to her as they knelt and he slid the door to the room open. "Ah... Ryoushi-sensei! How's our favorite pupil coming along?" Inutaisho smiled as he greeted his son's private tutor upon entering. Tsukikage shyly followed him in and waited patiently by the door. She tried not to laugh at the way the young teacher practically flew over to Inutaisho, not to mention the way his cringing manner reminded her of the dogs that lived in the human village at the edge of her former one.

"Fine... Fine... Inutaisho-dono-sama ...Sesshomaru-waka-sama is doing much better today. I think he's actually looked at the material I've assigned him this time! Ano... ano... ano... I...I...meant no offense, my lord!" The teacher bowed and said a silent prayer that he would still have his head at the end of the day. He knew all too well what happened to Sesshomaru's last teacher and he had no intention of ending up like him.

"Splendid!" The demon Lord smiled and clasped the teacher on his back. "Look, I have brought you another pupil, Ryoushi-sensei." Inutaisho turned and beckoned the girl forward. "She is called Tsukikage-hime and I wish for her to be educated like Sesshomaru-waka-sama." Taking Ryoushi-sensei aside, he lowered his voice to add, "She is to be taught everything you are teaching him. I want her to have knowledge on a wide variety of subjects and she's smart enough to handle Chinese as well, in fact it appears her older brother has taught a little bit."

"Really? He must have had a lot of patience, ne? But how did you find this out, my lord; that is if I may have permission to ask....?" He flicked his almost feline looking fluff nervously as he waited for an answer.

Laughing, Inutaisho replied, "I was looking over one of the inventory lists when she spotted a mistake..." He looked over at the girl. "What was that?" the dog general asked as he turned his attention back to the teacher.

"Nothing, my lord... Am I to teach her battle tactics as well? And I suppose I could have her read some of the more well know epic tales...is she being trained as a consort for the waka-sama?" he asked nervously.

"Iie...I don't think so, Takahara maybe... I think she would be a good match for him, ne?"

Such a waste, my lord...Give her to Takahara-sama and she will follow the lovely Reijinko-hime into the next realm... Ryoushi sighed and it was several minutes before he realized Inutaisho had spoken to him.
"Nani? Gomennasai...Inutaisho-dono-sama...I...umm...umm...my mind..."

Inutaisho laughed amused by the youkai teacher's demeanor. "The girl is still standing there..." Inutaisho said as he nodded towards where the girl stood by the door. Growing serious, Inutaisho smiled a warning to the teacher, as he noticed the young youkai was paying far too much attention to the girl than was good for him, "I believe she is still untouched and she is to remain that way, understood?" He then dismissed the teacher and went over to his son to see what he was studying. Ryoushi-sensei sighed as he went to get the girl settled.

Tsukikage bowed and as she rose, she noticed the young youkai was staring at her throat and she moved the folds of her kimono closer together as she wasn't sure he would obey his lord's instructions to leave her alone. She walked slowly past him to sit at the low table he indicated while he went in search of the scrolls she would need.

Tsukikage sat at a low table near to where Sesshomaru was sitting and while she waited for the teacher's return she looked around the room. She tried to follow his movements, but found her attention was drawn to the young youkai prince who sat at the next table. She noticed Sesshomaru looked very much like his father although there were subtle differences. Inutaisho had two magnificent fur fluffs, while Sesshomaru had one, like her eldest brother. At least it's soft and fluff-looking like Inutaisho-dono-sama's...and he doesn't keep twitching it like the sensei does.../she thought. /I wish I had a fluff like that...it must be nice to curl up with when it's cold...

Tsukikage stole another look at Inutaisho and Sesshomaru and she wondered if the elder youkai looked like his son when he was that age. I bet the Waka-sama will be just as handsome when he reaches that age... she thought before Ryoushi returned with a few scrolls for her to read. Tsukikage found she needed to concentrate on what she was reading and several times she needed help as there were several words she didn't know. Reluctantly she turned most of her attention to the teacher who patiently helped her read the old Chinese manuscript.

The two did steal looks at each other whenever they could and Sesshomaru found he was annoyed that Tsukikage had the advantage over him by knowing at least who he was, where as he knew nothing about her at all, except that he heard his father call her 'Tsukikage-hime.' Why is my father wasting his time having her educated? She looks too foolish to be anything more than just another one of his pet harlots... who she is to merit such treatment? He stole another look. If she's his new woman than she's probably smart enough already... Gods, please let this mean that human pet of his will be gone now... that way Haha-ue will be happy for a change! He sighed as he doubted it for he had the feeling the pet human would be around until the day she died.

He breathed deeply in her direction while pretending to sneeze. At least this one smells like a youkai... good; she's not as a big an insult to Haha-ue's honor... He looked over at her again and studied her profile for a minute, before pretending to go back to his studies/. Since she is so young, perhaps Chichi-ue won't make that big of a fuss over her ...And she looks a bit like that vapid human harlot of his too! Maybe he's just replacing the old one with the new.../ He thought bitterly; with a sour smile on his lips that was quickly replaced by a warmer smile when his father said good-bye to him.

Sesshomaru then stole another good look at her as he watched his father leave for the girl was seated near the shoji and he was startled by just how close the resemblance was between his father's favorite concubine and her. Shit! She's the very image of the human pet! He thought as he now openly stared at her.

Tsukikage noticed him staring again, so she gave him a small half smile that only made him snarl at her. I wonder why he's so unhappy...and so unfriendly too, which is a pity as he looks like he could use a friend... Maybe he'll feel better if he laughed. Haha-ue always said laughter's the only thing that can lift a heavy soul... Tsukikage raised her hand to hide her mouth as she laughed, her eyes dancing merrily as she tried to get him to a least smile in return, for there was something about the dour expression on his face that made her feel sorry for him. I bet he's just as lonely as I am...it must be hard to be Inutaisho-dono-sama's heir...I wonder if he has any brothers or sisters... she thought as the smile died on her lips.

I can't believe that insolent wench is laughing at me! he thought furiously as he continued to stare at her. You're going to pay for that! Stupid wench, no one laughs at me and gets away with it, especially one of Chichi-ue's harlots!

He shot her another dark look before turning back to his studies. Tsukikage merely shrugged as she tried to dismiss him from her thoughts. He's rather nice to look at but that temper of his needs work! I wonder why he hates me when we barely know each other. I was hoping we could have been friends as it looks like I'm not going to have many here....
They spent the morning and part of the afternoon studying an epic poem in Chinese about some mythological hero and Tsukikage found it difficult to concentrate on the story while trying to remember the vaguely familiar words. She hated having the teacher help her as she found his nervousness just as irritating as Sesshomaru found her constant whispered pleas for help.

"I thought you knew how to read Chinese," he said curtly as she asked him yet another question.

"I...do...but only a little...my Onii-chan only taught me enough to know how to run a household properly...so that when he found me a husband I can keep good records for him and so I won't get cheated... in case they have two sets of records."

"Then maybe we should get my father's accountants and advisers to bring their lists in here for you to read, ne? This way I'm sure my mother will pleased to know he's not being cheated, seeing as you're such an expert in such matters," He said sarcastically as he interrupted her explanation.

"Gomen nasai... Waka-sama...I will just struggle along by myself then...I'm sorry to have disturbed you..." she apologized before going back to reading the scroll.

The day dragged for her and Tsukikage felt relived when they were finally dismissed, until she realized she did not know how to get back to the main room where the dog general held court. Fearing she would get lost in the maze of a palace, Tsukikage hurried after him. "Sesshomaru-waka-sama! Please wait for me! Sesshomaru-waka-sama! Please, I don't know my way around here and I need your help..." she cried as she hurried after him. She caught up to him, for he had decided to see what it was that was so important and he stood there waiting. Tsukikage, who looked down to catch herself as she tripped, looked up to find herself face to face with the young lord as she regained her balance.

He glared at her silently while she tried to compose herself.
"Gomen nasai.... It's just that Inutaisho-dono-sama left me here... umm... umm... and I have know idea of where I should go or even how to get there if I did... and I was wondering if you could at least help me get back to where he holds court... umm... I'm sure if I waited there, he'd remember I was waiting and umm... he'd umm... send someone for me..." she trailed off helplessly.

"Why should I?" he asked as he regarded her with a look of total boredom. "You know if you were that important to my father, I'm sure he would have given you a servant to tend to your needs, ne?"

"Hai...I guess so..." she said quietly as she looked away. "I don't think I can stay here either....nor do I wish to go back to the classroom." She rubbed gently under her eye as she tried not to cry. They stood there for several minutes at a stand still, for as desperate as she was for his help, Tsukikage decided to refrain from begging for it. Sesshomaru for his part wished she would go away and leave him alone and as he contemplated just leaving her there and continuing on his way, they were interrupted by a soft voice.

"Sesshomaru-waka-sama, is there a problem?"

Tsukikage turned at the sound of the voice and was amazed to see a human woman standing there. She looked over at Sesshomaru and was surprised to find a fleeting look of hatred and loathing on his face before he composed himself enough to answer her. "Iie, Ningen-hime, the wench," both women frowned slightly when he said that, "was lost and I was about to show her the way to the women's quarters. Perhaps it would be better if you showed her the way, ne?"

"Hai. Come, child, it's this way," The woman known as Ningen-hime said as she indicated the direction she had come from. Were you going to help her or not? the human woman wondered. The girl may not know of your subtle kindnesses, Waka-sama, but others will know of it, even if she does not. What I don't understand is why you always made a fuss over Hitomi-hime. Perhaps that was the reason Hitomi-hime was married off after all, and yet maybe this subtlety is something new, Izayoi thought as she watched Sesshomaru dart dark looks at the two of them when he thought he wasn't being observed. So he sees the resemblance as well, and yet he chooses not to notice. Interesting, maybe you are warming up to me after all. Good as that will please your father. She smiled. Then again I could wrong here, maybe the reason why you attach so little value to her, is because she looks so much like me.

They bowed to the young lord as he left and as she gently led the young girl away Ningen-hime softly asked, "What is your name, child?"
"I am called Tsukikage...although Inutaisho-dono-sama has introduced me before as Tsukikage-hime... which is strange as I'm not really a princess or a noble woman for that matter...I'm just the daughter of the late lord and my Haha-ue was nothing more than his favorite concubine..."

"I see," Ningen-hime said softly. "Did Inutaisho-dono-sama give you that name?" she asked as they slowly made their way through the maze of corridors and buildings that made up the palace.

"Iie...I'm told it's the name my father had wanted to give me...although I don't know how true that is as he died before I was born...I'm not even sure if he was my father...although I was told he took good care of my mother and my older brothers..." Tsukikage said as she stared to cry. "Gomen nasai...it's just that I am tired as I haven't slept much since the day before yesterday...gomen nasai...I haven't even asked your name...I mean I think the Waka-sama called you Ningen-hime, but that can't be your name...can it?"

"Hai, it is, Little One, and you may call me Ningen-hime too as everyone else does and if you are to live here comfortably you will remember that. My name is of no real importance here as it's from another lifetime, besides in the ten years I have been here, I have all but forgotten it." She sighed and quickly changed the subject. "If we become friends then I will tell you my name, Little One," she said with a smile. "Now let me tell you about Inukouhi-okugata-sama; she is mistress here and you will do well to obey her whims and desires and try not to catch Inutaisho-dono-sama's eye, Little One, or I promise you, you'll live to regret it as I well know." She smiled enigmatically at the younger girl. "You may find that there will many who will use you as they seek to increase their own power and standing here, as well as those who will take just as much pleasure in bringing you down to elevate themselves, as they flatter you just so they may hold your ear in an attempt to gain Inutaisho-dono-sama's own ear or Sesshomaru-waka-sama's should it be known that the two of you desire each other's company," she said in gentle warning.

"Nani? I'm sorry, Ningen-hime...I don't think the Waka-sama likes me at al," She blurted out. "He wasn't very nice to me before..." She tried to think back on all the things he said to her as well as all the dark looks he shot her way. Changing she the subject went on, "Forgive me for asking...but why are you telling me this? How do I know you're not trying to do those things you're telling me about?" Tsukikage frowned as she looked at the older woman. "And why would I hold Sessho-waka-sama's ear for that matter....I beginning to think he hates me almost as much as he hates you...Gomen nasai I didn't mean to say that...umm... gomen nasai...Ningen-hime." Tsukikage stared crying again as she stopped and bowed to the older woman.

"It is okay, child, I know what it is like to be young and tired and Sesshomaru-waka-sama can be difficult to deal with at the best of times," Ningen-hime soothed as she ignored the younger girl's earlier question. But I think you're wrong there, Little One, I think the Waka-sama likes you more than you realize. Maybe he hasn't realized it yet as well, but give him time and you might just find your life will turn out easier than you ever imagined. /You certainly look noble enough to me and it's most unheard of for Inutaisho to take such immediate notice of someone. And I understand you are to be taught everything the Waka-sama is taught as well. Geisha or not, Little One, I have the feeling you are destined for something great around here, and the Waka-sama must be part of it, she thought with a smile as she tried to ease the girl's fears. /Little One, if you ever need a go-between you have but to ask and I will happily jump at the chance to help you especially if it means I can be given the chance to show the Waka-sama I mean him no ill will as well.

Ningen-hime started walking on again as Tsukikage had finally composed herself. "Actually I was rather surprised he was even going to help you, but then again perhaps he changed his mind as I don't think he'd lie," she trailed off softly as if the last part was meant more for herself than Tsukikage. Waka-sama, I wish I knew what game you're playing here as I could help you if you gave me the chance. While I may not be able to smooth things over with your mother, I certainly can help you with you father. Maybe you know that already and could it be I ruined things by stepping in too early? Taking a deep breath Ningen-hime put her thoughts aside and went on as she smiled. "Anyway the reason I am telling you this is because you looked just as scared as I was when I first came here. I know you must know these things from growing up in your late father's household but I felt it would be best to remind you. And because I was about your age when I was brought here and because I know how lonely it can be, when everyone around you alternately fears or hates you, because you are young and more importantly different." She sighed. "Come; let us speak of more pleasing things," Ningen-hime said as she gently turned the conversation around to nonsense that greatly eased Tsukikage's fears.

As she walked along beside the older woman, Tsukikage tried to concentrate on learning her way around but she found her thoughts centering on the woman beside her. I can't believe that a human woman has been given so much power here...When it seems like no one really likes her here except Inutaisho-dono-sama...I wonder if she's his consort. Maybe that's why the Okugata-sama doesn't like her...but my father's wife liked my Haha-ue...and she used to call me her daughter too...I wonder if it's because she's so pretty for a human even if she's old...and who knows maybe the Okugata-sama is even older. I wonder if he neglects his wife in favor of his consort. Haha-ue always said, 'the man foolish enough to do that deserves the disharmony in his house.' /Tsukikage smiled and answered another question before becoming lost in thought again. /I can't believe how much she looks like my Haha-ue with her hair done that way...and she's kind like her too. I hope she'll be my friend /as this way I don't think I'll miss my home so much if she was...and maybe one day I can ask her if she knows what happened to my Haha-ue and the others too.../

They walked slowly through the maze of hallways and courtyards that separated the different buildings that made up the palace. Whenever they chanced upon someone Ningen-hime would stop and introduce the newest addition to youkai lord's women. As they walked out of earshot she would make a point of telling Tsukikage more about the person they had just met and more importantly whether or not that person could be trusted and who would betray her at a moment's notice. Before she knew it they had reached the women's quarters.

"That's a beautiful little garden out there, was it planted for our use? I only asked because it looks like a wonderful place to spend an afternoon..." Tsukikage said as she paused before a window and looking out of it she spotted the small garden and courtyard.

"Iie, that belongs to Inukouhi-okugata-sama and if you value your life you will stay out of it unless she gives you permission to enter. They say Inutaisho-dono-sama had it made for her upon the birth of their son. Besides, I believe the only way to enter it is through her private chambers." She thought for a minute before going on. "In fact, the only two people who have free access to it are the old gardener and Atsuimi-hime, who is Inukouhi-okugata-sama's closest friend; although there are those who say Atsuimi-hime is more than just a friend." She shrugged and then turned to leave. "Come; let us find a room for you and some bedding as well. This way if you are tired, you can rest before dinner. If you want I can come and get you when it's time."

"Hai...I would like that if it's not too much trouble."

"Good, perhaps we can dine together then, that is if you have nothing else to do?"

"Hai.... I would like that very much, that is if your friends don't mind." Tsukikage smiled shyly at first then frowned as she caught the look of sadness on the older woman's face. "Did I say something wrong?"

"Iie, it's just that I would hate to disappoint you; that's all," the human woman soothed.

"Arigatou, Ningen-hime," Tsukikage said, and catching the look of surprise on the older woman's face, she explained, "You've been very kind to me...and I appreciate it... You're a kind person and I can see that in your eyes, even if they do look a bit sad .... My Haha-ue used to say that you could see into a person's heart and see their true nature by looking into their eyes...and I can see you've meant all the kindness you've shown me here," Tsukikage said as her words came out in a nervous rush. "You know, you remind me of the humans who lived near my village...they often fought side by side with our men and the women would always visit each other's villages especially when the harvests were good to trade goods and complain about their men...but I had no idea there were humans living here too...are there more of you living here? Do you think I can speak with some of them...maybe I can find out what happened to my family?" Tsukikage started crying again as she remembered what had happened and as she tried to compose herself Ningen-hime came and put her arms around her as she cried her heart out.

"Sorry, Little One, but as far as I know I am the only human living here. It's possible there could be others from your village and maybe once you are settled we can find out if you like." Ningen-hime soothed.

I wonder if I have an unexpected ally here. Having a youkai as a true friend would be even more helpful, but perhaps we can help each other first and become friends later. Ningen-hime thought with surprise.
"Feeling better now? I really think you need to rest, Little One, so come," Ningen-hime said as she dried the younger girl's tears. "Anyway if I can't eat with you, I'll see to it something is brought to you here."

"Hai! Domo arigatou gozaimasu, Ningen-hime...I guess I am more tired than I thought ne? I don't mean to keep crying all the time...I never cried so much before at home..."

"I understand, Little One, it's been a trying time for you and it's understandable given your circumstances. Come; I believe there's a room you can use near mine, that is if you can stand living near me." She smiled and was pleased when Tsukikage smiled back as well. So the two women walked on passed the private garden and soon they were outside in a large yet private courtyard. Ningen-hime explained that was a place for all the women to use as they saw fit.

"Are those miniature trees? I've never seen anything like them before...what are they?"

"Hai." She smiled as they walked over to look at the trees. "They're Kajinoki-chan's bonsai. They're beautiful, ne? Tomorrow I'll introduce you to her as she will probably be teaching you flower arranging."

"Hai! I'd like that very much, Ningen-hime," Tsukikage said with a smile.
"I'm glad. You know, she loves working in here so much that sometimes I think Uekiya doesn't have half the work he should have."

888

They had finally reached the part of the women's quarters where everyone's room was and Tsukikage was pleased to see the courtyard was also turned into a garden. The two women walked through it until they reached the building that bordered the north side of it. There they walked up a few low steps and stopped before a large shoji that Ningen-hime opened. As they removed their shoes and walked inside, Ningen-hime said, "These will be your rooms, do you like them? And my room is right next it. You can reach me if you need me through there." She indicated a small door, and pointing to another one on the adjacent wall, she said, "This leads to the inside corridor. We will go that way to dinner."

Tsukikage was amazed that she was given such a large room. "Ningen-hime... does everyone here have such a large room to themselves? At home if I had a room like this, I'd have to share it with at least three other girls..." Tsukikage said as looked around the room.

"Not usually...I have a room to myself, The Okugata-sama has a room to herself and now you do. This room once belonged to Hitomi-chan; she is Sesshomaru-waka-sama's cousin." The two women talked as Ningen-hime helped the younger girl settle in. "She shared it with her second mother when she was younger until her second mother had another pup." She sighed. "I believe Kaho-hime, her foster mother, was to be given the rooms next door, but I was given them instead along with strict orders to obey the Princess's commands. She was a good child and I never had much work, and after a while she didn't need me."

"Oh...Where did she go? I mean... why wouldn't she need her room anymore? She's not..." Tsukikage looked at the older woman.

"Iie. She was married off to one of Inutaisho-dono-sama's favorite generals, a man around his age who never thought to marry before. I guess that is why Sesshomaru-waka-sama has been so upset lately, they were very close and he was most protective of her for she had started to loose her sight and at such a young age too. Come to think of it, there were rumors going around at the time that she was blinded on purpose, but no one could ever say if they were true or not. It wasn't as if she was ill or injured either, it was just accepted as something that couldn't be helped at the time." Ningen-hime frowned as she thought about it. "Then she was married off very quickly, perhaps Inutaisho-dono-sama or more likely Inukouhi-okugata-sama felt they were becoming too close, and yet if were a problem about her being a suitable wife, then it seems doubtful she would have been married off like that." Ningen-hime shrugged/. She appears to have been good enough for Fujitaka-sama but not good enough for Sesshomaru-waka-sama it would seem. I wonder why since her bloodlines are as good as the Waka-sama's./

"Oh...how old was she?"

"She had just turned eleven, I believe. Rumor also had it that her father wanted her to commit seppuku as he felt she was going to be a burden or possibly unmarriageable so Inutaisho-dono-sama stepped in and rescued her."

"Amazing! Inutaisho-dono-sama seems like a wonderful person...I was scared before and he...umm... I don't know...he just knew how to make me forget my troubles..."

"He is a most wonderful person..." Ningen-hime said, and Tsukikage was surprised to see a look of pure joy and love on the older woman's face. Ningen-hime then went out into the corridor and called for a maid to clean the empty room for its new occupant. While she went to work, Ningen-hime took Tsukikage next door to her room and they sat and had tea. They talked about Tsukikage's new life here as well as both women telling a bit about their lives before Jochuu came and told them she was finished. After dismissing her they returned to Tsukikage's new rooms.

They searched the huge tansu in the far corner and after locating some bedding for her, Ningen-hime left her to her own devices and with a promise to return in time for dinner; she left. Tsukikage then explored her room, before unrolling her futon and lying down, she was soon fast asleep.

888

"Tsukikage-hime, Little One, wake up child. Come; it's time for dinner," a soft voice called to her in her sleep and Tsukikage found herself surfacing from her dream. "Did you have a good sleep?" Ningen-hime asked as she knelt down next to Tsukikage.

"Hai... for a minute there I thought you were my Haha-ue... silly, ne?" Tsukikage yawned. "Gomen nasai... but I feel as though I'm still asleep."
"It's alright, you were exhausted, but you need to hurry as we've been summoned to dinner by Inutaisho-dono-sama. I'm not sure if Inukouhi-okugata-sama will be there or not, although it's most likely she will be there just to see what you look like. I'm sure by now she's heard of your presence and her curiosity will have gotten the better of her."
"Hai! Well then I'd better hurry, ne?" Tsukikage got up and finding a basin and a jug of water she poured some onto her hand and splashed it on her face. Then she drank some of the water before following Ningen-hime to dinner. They walked and chatted as they did earlier and by the time they had arrived Tsukikage felt calm enough to eat.

888

They both entered and Tsukikage followed Ningen-hime's lead and bowed low before coming over to sit with the others at the low table. Once there, she was told to sit near the end of the table as far from Inukouhi as possible, which also placed her far from Inutaisho. She did note with amusement that Ningen-hime was seated to Inutaisho's left while Inukouhi was seated on his right, and she shook her head at the dog general's obliviousness at the dark looks the two women shot each other. She wondered if it was because Inukouhi was older than Ningen-hime or if it had more to do with the fact that Ningen-hime was human. She also found it strange that Inutaisho had invited other women of the court to dine with them as well, and she longed to ask Ningen-hime if this was something he did this all the time or if was just a special celebration in honor of his return after being away for so long.

While everyone there talked amongst themselves; she found she was pretty much ignored except for the stares and occasional bit of conversation that was thrown her way. That suited her fine for she preferred to watch everyone in silence anyway as she found that made it easier for her to remember their names.

"You are the new girl, ne?" the petite youkai on her right asked. Tsukikage noticed she kept darting glances at Ningen-hime while she waited for an answer.

Swallowing her tea, Tsukikage replied. "Hai...and you are?" she asked politely.

"I am called Sakura-chan. Everyone calls me that and you must too," she said as she tucked a strand of light brown hair behind her delicately pointed ear. "What is your name?"

"Tsukikage..."

"How pretty! Inutaisho-dono-sama, may I compliment you on your choice of names! 'Moonlight' suits this one very well, ne?" she said as she fanned herself and beamed at the youkai lord.

"It does!" the woman sitting across from her exclaimed. "Inutaisho-dono-sama...may this one ask if you deliberately acquired her in an attempt at getting a matched set? The resemblance between her and Ningen-hime is extraordinary!" This set off a round of excited tittering around the table as the women speculated amongst themselves while waiting for his answer.

Before Inutaisho could answer, his wife spoke. "Come here, child, I wish to get a better look at you," Inukouhi purred as she motioned with her hand for Tsukikage to come closer and everything went silent. "She's very pretty, ne?" she said dryly to her husband who smiled at her. "Ningen-hime..." Inukouhi flicked her wrist and the human woman rose and stood next to the girl. "Amazing...I do believe all you need now is a hanyou and your set will be complete...perhaps I should get Shinta-san to find you one, ne?" she said sarcastically as she tired to keep the hurt from her voice.

Inutaisho laughed. "You are too kind, Dear Wife, but then that is why I love you," he said, cupping her cheek, as he silently acknowledged her hurt.

Inukouhi laughed bitterly. "You only loved me for the lands I brought with me in this marriage..." she said sadly.

"Iie, that's not true for don't we have our son as proof of our love?" he said he tried to reassure her he still had feelings for her.

"Keh...if you loved me, then I would be old and fat before my time from all the sons I would have given you," Inukouhi said, her tone dripping with hurt, as a wave of jealousy threatened to overwhelm her. Sighing, she dismissed the two women with a wave of her hand. "And speaking of sons...is there a reason why ours is so late?"

"Perhaps he's found a woman to be with..." Sakura suggested. "It's about time he had one, ne?"

"Keh! She will never find one good enough for him, will you, Dear Sister?" spat a younger woman with the same crescent moon and striped markings on her face as Inukouhi. "I don't believe there is a woman alive who is meek enough to take your bullying without complaint," she said with a nasty smile.

"Little Sister, instead of worrying about Sessho-chan's marriage prospects, perhaps we should concentrate on finding you a new husband before you grow too old and we'll be stuck with you forever!" Inukouhi glared at her sister while her husband tried to calm her down.

"Dear Sister, it's very kind of you to worry about my widowhood, but I rather enjoy my freedom," she said sarcastically. "Whatever faults my dear Yamazaki may have had...at least he didn't neglect me in favor of his pets..."

"I am not neglected!" Inukouhi spat. "My Inutaisho is fine man and a good warrior and provider! Besides he's a man and they have various needs! Needs that one woman, no matter how talented, could never take care of on her own!"

"Keh! My Yamazaki never needed to have another woman satisfy his needs! Perhaps if you didn't spend so much time with Atsuimi you'd know that!"

"Enough!" Inukouhi raised her voice to a low growl. "This was meant to be a pleasant dinner to welcome my husband home, and you've ruined it!"

"Ruined it; how? I did nothing except point out to you what you're doing wrong..."

Inukouhi was about to spit an angry retort at her younger sister when Inutaisho cupped her cheek and gently forced her to look at him. He leaned forward and kissed her nose as she rolled her eyes at him. Inutaisho kissed her this time on the mouth before trailing a line of little kisses across her cheek. He could feel her anger melting as it always did whenever he was affectionate to her in public.

"Koinyoubou-chan, I have something for you that I was going to give you tomorrow but perhaps you would like it tonight instead?" Inutaisho whispered in her ear. "I have found a set of twins that I think would make sweet little handmaidens for you. They appear to be pure inu-youkai too..." he wheedled and gently bit her ear until she smiled as she felt happy at the possibility of later sharing his bed.

"Ahhh..." Toukasa, an older youkai who had been Sesshomaru's nurse, sighed. "I know I for one am dreading the day my Little Peach Bottom is finally married off..." She made a sad face and wiped away a pretend tear.

"'Little Peach Bottom!' I had forgotten you used to call him that! Toukasa-chan, I remember how he used to insist I call him that too! Remember my love?" Inukouhi turned to her husband and smiled as her anger was replaced with memories of her son's childhood.

"Hai! I used to call him that because out of all the pups I've looked after; he had the cutest little bottom of them all!" Toukasa giggled. "It was the softest and roundest one I had ever seen...and trust me I've seen my fair share of bottoms, ne?" She winked at her friend Sakura.

"Hai! You still do! So tell us, Toukasa-chan, what piece of fruit does Takahara's bottom most remind you of?" Sakura teased.

"Keh! You know I never share my pillow secrets!" She shook her finger at her friend in mock indignation.

"Come on, you're dying to tell us...Besides, I'm sure Inutaisho-dono-sama is just as curious as the rest of us, ne?" She looked at her lord.

"Hai! That I am!" The dog general laughed. "Besides, your pillow secrets are safe with me, Toukasa-chan." He winked at her and she giggled like a young girl.

Toukasa smiled sweetly before she told them. "An apple... firm and crisp to the touch and just as tasty as when one bites into it!" she said with mock seriousness as the room erupted in laughter, although Tsukikage found herself blushing as the talk grew more and more bawdy.

Things then quieted down when the waka-sama finally arrived with a mumbled apology.

Tsukikage noticed a quick exchange of looks between Sakura and Toukasa and she wondered what the two were up to as they looked over at Sesshomaru. She did not have long to wait for as the waka-sama walked over to greet his parents, his foster mother called out to him.

"Come here, my Little Peach Bottom..." Sesshomaru winced on hearing the old childhood nickname. "And greet your Second Mother before you greet your parents," Toukasa trilled and he came over. Getting up, she bowed to him which he returned and as he passed her by she reached out and grabbed his butt. His whole body stiffened and he colored darkly as the room erupted in laughter as Toukasa went on, "Hmmm...still as firm as an unripe peach, but one day, my Boy, you'll be ripe for the picking!"

Tsukikage alone did not share in everyone's laughter. She sat there quietly and her heart went out to him as she could see he was upset about being teased in front of her. I hope he doesn't sit next to me...what if I have to talk to him...are they going to make fun of that too? she wondered as she watched him greet his parents without incident.

Why do they have to treat me like I'm a stupid whelp all the time...as if I don't know what they're talking about, so I laugh along with them? Shit! It probably wasn't funny then and it certainly isn't funny now! he lamented silently as he walked over to his seat at the table.

Much to his annoyance Sesshomaru found himself seated next to his father's latest acquisition and when he stole a sidelong glance at her, he was surprised to see Tsukikage looking just as annoyed with the seating arrangements. I wonder what she's doing here, he thought as he stole another look at her. Shit! No wonder she's annoyed; if she thought my father was going to pay attention to her tonight, then she's sadly mistaken. There's no way he would something that stupid while Haha-ue's here, he thought as he gave her a sidelong glance before turning his attention back to his father. /Gods I hope he doesn't leave with the two of them as Haha-ue would have a fit, /he thought as he watched his father flirt with the human woman while casting an occasional glance at the new girl.

Sesshomaru and Tsukikage made the best of the arrangements by ignoring each other as much as they could throughout the evening and the meal, until Inutaisho asked about something they were taught earlier that day by their tutor. "Sessho-kun, what did Ryoushi-sensei have to say about your great-great-grandfather and his last battle with the yamainu?"

"He said Kousofu-sama made a fatal mistake when he took the battle to their territory as it was difficult enough trying to find one's way through their territory without having to pitch a battle there as well..."

"Hai!" Tsukikage interrupted. "He was right, Sesshomaru-waka-sama...My Onii-chan always said had your great-great-grandfather waited a few more weeks they would have come down from the mountains to what they were up to and he could have easily defeated them back then." The youkai prince glared at her in annoyance.

"Oh really?" Inukouhi raised a delicate eyebrow. "Since when do you know anything about history...not to mention battle tactics?" Inukouhi asked with a malicious smile. "My Daisofu-sama was a brilliant general and he won many battles! He was betrayed by some of his men and that is why he lost."

"Hai...that is how my Gaisofu-sama always told me the story too...Chichi-ue, is it possible Ryoushi-sensei is wrong?" Sesshomaru asked as he turned his dark gaze from Tsukikage and warmed it up to look at his father.

Inutaisho sighed as he thought about it. "It's possible as I'm inclined to believe Tsukikages version of events. They do have a measure of truth in them. Had I not waited like I did, I wouldn't have had the army not to mention the knowledge of the area that led to my latest conquest." He took a bite of his grilled fish.

"Must you eat that disgusting stuff? It's bad enough the human does without you subjecting us to it," his wife complained as she reached over to get a bit more venison.

"But I like grilled fish...it's really tasty and you should try some as I know you'd enjoy it too..." Inutaisho smiled as he held out bite for his wife to taste.

"Get it away!" She waved her hand in front of the fish that dangled from his chopsticks. "I believe you'd eat shit on a skewer too, if she ate it ..." she muttered under her breath as she went back to eating off her own plate.

"Anyone else care to try some?" Inutaisho asked as he looked around the table. "Tsukikage-hime? I would have thought you, at least, would eat some."

"No thank you..." she said politely. "The only human food I've ever eaten is rice..." she trailed off somewhat embarrassed as everyone looked at her.

"You really eat that shit?" Sesshomaru asked incredulously as she nodded. "Keh! I would never eat human food, not even if I were alone and dying and someone offered it to me." He gave her a look of pure disgust.

"Rice isn't as bad as you think it is..." Tsukikage said softly. "You might like it if you ate some..."

"Iie...If my father chooses to eat it, it's his business..." he said as he went back to eating and ignoring her completely.

Shrugging, Inutaisho ate the fish. "But enough talk of battles, as I for one am tired of them. Now that I'm home I wish to speak of more pleasant things, seeing as I'm in such pleasant company," Inutaisho said as he gently changed the subject.

The meal went on uneventfully after that until towards the end when Inutaisho asked Ningen-hime to sing for them. He sat back and smiled as she sang a haunting love song and there was no mistaking the fact that the song was meant for his ears alone. When she finished he thanked her for it and as he looked at everyone at the table, he announced dinner was over and he was going back to his rooms. Trouble started when he rose and said softly, "Koishii, attend me." And two different women rose to do so.

"I will see you tomorrow then, my darling Koinyoubou-chan," he said to wife with a smile as he walked over to Ningen-hime and they left together and quiet descended into the room. Inukouhi-sama sat there and seethed; her anger and hurt at this insult clearly boiling beneath her calm surface.

"It's alright, my lady, let him go..." Atsuimi soothed. "Did he not say he had a present for you? And that he was going to give it to you tonight?" she reminded her friend.

"Hai..." Inukouhi said through gritted teeth as everyone politely pretended nothing was wrong.

"Then he must be going to spend the night with you ...so what if he pillows the whore now...that doesn't mean he won't pillow you later." She ran her finger down her friend's cheek before stopping at her lips. "And he has never once come to you reeking of her..."

"Hai..." Inukouhi said as she kissed her friend's finger.

"Come, let's go get you ready to welcome him home properly...No one will mind if you leave now..." Atsuimi now had Inukouhi's face in her hands and she brought her own face close enough to kiss her friend's.

"Hai..." Inukouhi said softly and she was ready to go until she noticed her son was also trying to leave unnoticed. She pulled away from Atsuimi and sat there quietly as she waited for him to leave.

Sesshomaru looked for a quick exit in the calm before the storm and seized on the one closest to hand. Looking down at Tsukikage, he said quietly, "Come, I'll show you back to your room." He frowned when she shot him a puzzled look, but as she looked over at his mother, she got the hint and rose to leave.

"Arigatou, Inukouhi-okugata-sama...it was a lovely dinner," she said softly as she bowed.

"Why are you leaving, Sessho-kun?" Inukouhi asked softly as she tried to figure out what he was up to.

"Chichi-ue told me to take her back to her room when dinner was over," Sesshomaru said as he prayed his mother would not catch the lie and he could get away before her outburst.

"I see; is there any reason you must hurry off so soon?" she said in the same quite tone.

"Hai! The wench was complaining of being tired..."

"I did not!" Tsukikage hissed. "And I'm not a 'wench!'"

"Shut up!" Sesshomaru hissed back.

"Is there a problem, my son?" she asked. "Or could it be she is not going back to her room?"

"Iie! She is too going back to her room, Haha-ue." He turned and glared at Tsukikage, before turning back to his mother. "That's what Chichi-ue told me to do."

"And just when did he tell you this?" Inukouhi asked softly.

"Earlier at our studies...when Chichi-ue brought her there, I was supposed to take her to the woman's quarters and leave her there for you to help her get settled in, but that bitch butted in and did it herself. She claimed Chichi-ue told her to do it."

"I see and you let her get away with it? Who is the waka-sama here, Sesshomaru, you or her?"

"I am, Haha-ue...."At her raised eyebrow he quickly added, "But I had somewhere I needed to be and I didn't have time to bother with the wench, and when the bitch showed up and offered to do it for me..."

"You just let her go ahead and do it for you... how nice," Atsuimi-hime interrupted with a smile. "Although, I fail to see what was so important that you couldn't make the effort since it would have given you a chance to visit with your Haha-ue? She misses you so much..." She pouted as she looked at her friend. "You know, the older you get the less we see of you, Sesshomaru-waka-sama..."Atsuimi-hime purred as she looked from the young youkai lord to his mother. "Anyway, why don't you let him go ahead, my lady, it might prove rather amusing if he pillowed with her, ne? Perhaps I could lend them a few of my toys..." She leaned over and whispered the rest to her friend who laughed with genuine amusement, although Tsukikage noted Sesshomaru didn't seem too pleased about his mother's comment about him refraining from doing so.

"You may leave us, my son, as it is clear your duty lies elsewhere." Inukouhi smiled without humor as she dismissed her son.

Taking his cue, Sesshomaru turned to Tsukikage and said softly, "Come; let's go before she changes her mind." Bowing again as they made their goodbyes, he left followed by the girl.

Sign up to rate and review this story