Categories > Original > Fantasy

Evil at Blackwood Manor

by ScyStorm 0 reviews

(Shortie) A wolf warrior on a mission storms into the ghost-infested ruins of the Blackwood Manor.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2005-11-28 - Updated: 2005-11-29 - 2535 words - Complete

1Ambiance
EVIL AT BLACKWOOD MANOR

Original Furry Short
By: Scy Storm
ssbs.furrynet.com

AUTHOR'S NOTES: For NeonDragon's Halloween contest on DeviantArt. Just a short story that's Halloween-themed, yeah, big whoop, you wanna fight about it? Just read and you'll get it.

INEVITABLE DISCLAIMER: Contains violence, but it's not too heavy.



Her screams for help pierced the night air. Birds were scared from trees from the noise, scattering the yellowed leaves about the air as they fell off the branches. I was finally there. This house. This... abomination. It stood maybe three stories high, towering over the trees that grew around it. But they grew so far from the base. The ground around the manor was black with evil, spreading out in a radius of several feet. They had been here far too long. And they had her. My sweet Rene... "Stay strong, they cannot stop me for long."

I step right up to the front and kick the door before me to pieces. Weak, blackened wood. A joke. Immediately they rush for me. I flash them as evil a glare as I can muster as my sword raises and is grabbed by my second paw. They're hideous abominations. Ghosts, spirits, lost souls; whatever you want to call them. They were all furries once. Canids too, it seems. "AWAY, FIENDS!" I yell.

My sword cuts them down like parchment, two slashes through the air, blasting with white light as it slides through their incorporeal forms. Invincible beasts? Ha. Not to a weapon of the right in enchantment. I watch them split in half, their halves going in different directions. Unearthly yells sound out but fade quickly with their bodies, wisped to nothing in the air. I raise my sword again and stomp forward with no delay. No hesitation. She's in there, and she's in trouble. I cannot waste.

Stairs. There's no way she's on the first floor. I run up the left staircase quickly and noisily. I don't care about the noise. They can come to me and die. As I reach the top, I hear the unwelcoming sound of the stairs behind of me crashing to the floor. They collapsed as I ran up them. I'll have to remember that for the second staircase. "KALEF!!!"

Her voice hits me like a train. She's in pain. Stop hesitating, you fool! Where is the next staircase? In one of these damn rooms. I kick another door to splinters, only to be met by more of the ghouls. I roar loudly into the air and dive into the fray with my sword swinging, watching and hearing the abominations perish from this mortal coil. Even if it's temporary. This time they even have some friends in the form of decaying zombies. They were furries once too. But now their skin and fur hangs off what isn't rotten, blackened bone. Their eyes are nothing but black pits, staring at me with the cold stare of death and nothingness. They can't form words with their dead vocal chords, and their only method of attack is their paws, the claws of which remain intact from the wear of death's cold grasp. They will be of no consequence. "You cannot stop me!!" I yell to them.

They fall easily. These minions of the dead are no match for my enchanted blade. I watch them crumple and return to the cold darkness of the afterlife. I'm sorry I had to do it to you, poor souls, but he made you that way, and there is no other choice. And there are no stairs in this room. I kick down the door to the next old, empty, dusty room of the Blackwood Manor. More ghouls and zombies await my blade. I hear her call my name again. The sound pierces my heart. "I'm coming, Rene!!" I yell, unsure if she can even hear me.

My blade slices through the doomed souls. None can be left standing. None can stop me, nor can they hinder me further. I can see the stairs to the third floor ahead of me. I leave the last zombie in pieces as I blaze up the stairs. I almost fall to my face when I reach the top. I can sense deeper evil on this floor. But I stay standing. I stay walking. I cannot let a simple sense take me down. They will have to strike my heart down from my chest before I fall here tonight. "Diiiiiiiieeee..." Says a ghastly voice down the hall.

I turn and look. More ghouls and zombies are storming down the hallway toward my position. They look bigger, and meaner. But the main thing I notice is a red glow from the end turn of that hallway. She must be there. My roar echoes across the walls once more as I storm into the coming forces, my blade swinging true in front of me, back and forth. Even these large, supposedly tougher abominations are no match for my divine sword. The ghosts dissipate, and the zombies fall into halves. They will not stop me. I am too close. "KALEF!! AAAHH!!"

My anger swells. My lips extend farther back to show my teeth. My feet clamp louder as my speed increases. I have to save her. Bits of zombie are left in my wake as I storm past every defender and turn the corner to the red light. It's coming from a closed door. No waiting. No hesitation. My shoulder makes contact with the door, and it blows apart into nothing. "Kalef!!!" I hear her again.

I stop moving and look up. I can feel my face go dead. My darling wolf is held in chains, her four limbs stretched opposite each other, the chains holding her to some vertical metal statue. The metal is obviously shaped into a symbol of some sort. The room is almost completely dark, if it weren't for the scattered orbs of red light and the circle of candles. An unholy flame burns in front of my treasure, and behind it stands the half-demon lizardbeast who brought all of this here, his arms high in the air as dark forces swirl around his hands. "You should have just stayed home, Kalef." I hear him say.

"And let you get away with this?! Never!" I immediately call back.

"I already have gotten away with it! You're too late to save her!"

That's when I grab a small kunai from my belt, and toss it. It shatters one of the orbs, cuts through a few candles, and then stabs through the evil one's hand. He screams out in pain, a faint roar heard amongst the scream. The unholy fire dies, and all the evil forces disappear. "Oh? I'm too late to stop it? Looks like I just did!"

He looks up at me, his glowing red eyes feeling like they're piercing my soul. "Fine, I can't bluff you, but I will kill you!" He says, before he lunges at me.

I hold my sword up in front of me. Immediately it reacts to the demon's evil, radiating a divine white light that spreads across the room and lightens up all the darkness. The hybrid makes a loud hissing screech and backs away from the light, stumbling a bit and falling onto his knees. "That... That light...! It can't be!" I hear him yell.

I growl at him very loudly. "The Gods enrich my blade with their light! None here will vanquish me!"

He screams as I leap forward and slash, sending the upper half of his body flying away, leaving the other to fall down and bleed. The light of my sword fades for the moment, and without any hesitation, I use it to break the chains binding my lover's limbs, legs first. When her arms are free, she collapses onto my shoulder, and my arm immediately surrounds her. "Oh Kalef..." She says to me, a bit weakly.

"Conserve your energy, Rene. I'm getting you out of here."

I lift her onto my shoulder and hold her with ease as I break for it out the door. Down the hallway. As I go down the stairs to the second floor, I see more restless spirits coming for me. I roar at them, and I feel a powerful strength run through me. My sword begins to glow bright again, as if beckoned by what is growing within me. The ghouls begin to cower from the light, and I dash forward. They all immediately disappear when I'm close enough to them. "None will stop me!" I yell to them.

I dash out the two doorways I kicked out before, more spirits flailing away from me. Reaching the staircases, I quickly realize the second staircase that reached this floor has been toppled thanks to some zombies that tried to ascend it. All of them are in the pile, the ones that managed to stand looking up at me and moaning in anger. I feel my eyes go blank as I growl. "WRETCHED ABOMINATIONS!"

For some reason I cannot comprehend at that time, something compels me to thrust my sword forward. A blast of divine energy goes flying off of it, and shoots in a searing beam at the zombies. It impales a few of them, causing them to moan in their own agony. The beam then lights the rest of them ablaze in divine fire, their moans filling the room as its righteous fury is burning them to nothingness. "Kalef... we have to... get out..." Rene says to me, seeming to be worried about something.

I decide not to dwell on that blast that just shot from my sword, and look over the railing, down at the first floor. No stairs to descend, and no monsters down below. I have to risk it. I take my sword and sheath it in the scabbard on my hip, immediately shutting out its light. I adjust Rene and hold her in both of my arms, clutching tight. "Hold onto me, Rene..." I say to her.

She brings her arms up to my shoulders, putting them around my neck weakly, before holding on with what she can muster. With a grunt, and a prayer, I take a few steps and leap over the railing, descending fast. I hit the wood within seconds, and though the landing sends a big shake up my body, I manage to remain on my feet. Hearing a few screeches of ghosts from closed doors around me, I waste no more time and blitz forward, running out the front door I destroyed earlier. But before I can even leave the front porch of the manor, I gasp, and stop dead in my tracks. My heart sinks. "Poor poor wolf..." A deep, devilish voice says.

There I see it. A being of pure evil. A huge knight in all black armor sits upon an equally huge horse. His armor is black as coal, and through the cracks of it, I see a faint red glow. A more prominent red glow is the deep red eyes that stare at me from behind the helm. His mount is also pure black, its own eyes red and its mane a slightly purple mane of unholy flame. In his hands are the reigns, and a gigantic lance that looks like he just ripped a tree out of the ground and carved it a bit. But I can tell it's metal. "... what... what are..." I can only stammer, somehow unable to form a complete sentence.

I don't even have to look down at Rene to know she's absolutely terrified at what we're both seeing. The knight just stares down at me as his horse bucks up once, letting out an unearthly neighing sound while it lowers down. "The sacrifice will commence, whether you want to lose her or not. You are a fool for trying to save her, for now you will die..." He says to me, his voice so dark and evil.

I feel myself wanting to buckle over from the feeling of so much evil, radiating from his presence as well as his voice. Rene is clutching me, quivering in fright. I try to speak, and nothing comes out. He speaks again. "Jalor."

I blink in confusion, and then something starts to click. "Jalor! JALOR!!" He screams at me.



"Huh?!"

The little fox boy spins and looks at the bedroom door behind him as a fist bangs on it a few times. "Jalor! Didn't you hear your damn mother calling you?! The whole group is here!" Says a voice on the other end.

It's Halen. "Ugh... Sorry, I'll be out in just a sec." He says in response.

"What, did you fall asleep? On Halloween? Do you not want any candy?"

"I said I'll be out in a second!!" Jalor yells to his brother.

Halen says no more. Jalor runs his hand up through his headfur. He's sweating. What was that? A daydream? He's never had a daydream that vivid before. Maybe his imagination is evolving. Either way, that was pretty neat. ... But! Halloween! Candy! Jalor snaps to attention and gets up from his desk chair, looking around. Already in his costume. He grabs his mask nearby, and then looks around. Pillowcase, pillowcase... He just snatches one of the pillows on his bed and starts pulling it out of the case. "Hey bro!" Halen yells from behind the door.

"Coming, coming!" He yells back, running to the door and tossing his now case-less pillow back onto the bed.

The little red fox opens the door to see his big brother leaning against the wall. He's dressed as Dracula, and rather well, too. "Pfft... I still say your costume is lame, bro."

Jalor's costume is a suit of armor. Or rather, a body suit that was given the look of armor. It's actually pretty cheap. On his hands are gloves that look like gauntlets, one hand holding a pillowcase and the other holding a rubber gray wolf mask. The mask has a mean look on its face, meant to be a scary werewolf type mask, but it was the best he could find. "Nuh-uh! It's great!" Jalor tells him.

"Why didn't you just be Spiderman?" Halen says as he starts going down the stairs.

Jalor slips his mask on as he runs after him. "Because Spiderman is lame!"

Halen leads his little brother toward the front door, as their mother speaks up from the kitchen. "You be careful out there, you two! Watch your little brother, Halen!"

"'Course, ma!" Halen yells as they walk outside.

There waiting are their small group of friends, all dressed as various monsters or super heroes. A few laugh at Jalor. "Hey little buddy, who are you supposed to be?" One asks, whom Jalor recognizes as his brother's bird friend Yutis.

"I'm Kalef! I'm the warrior of the Gods!" Jalor answers excitedly.

That just gets bigger laughs, the group finding it silly and funny as they start walking away from the house. Jalor sighs. They would never understand. He just shrugs it off after a moment, and quickly dashes up to follow them, ready for a night of candy gathering.



THE END

~ Scy

Characters © Me
Sign up to rate and review this story