Categories > Original > Drama

Just a peice of Sky

by the_yellow_butterfly 0 reviews

Skylar is an average ordinary teenage girl, with lots of friends, and of course a best friend. Her best friend Iris was the most important person to Skylar, but when Iris dies suddenly, Skylar has ...

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-06-27 - Updated: 2007-06-27 - 1266 words

0Unrated
The darkness came closing in swift and piercing. She couldn't stop it, she ran as fast as her feet would carry her, but you can't out run what's in you, what is you. Claws reached forth from the darkness trying to pull her in, scratching her, mauling her. She was so afraid, she screamed but ran on. They ripped her clothes and penetrated her flesh but she couldn't stop or they would pull her under. She could see a light; she ran faster the hope of safety fueled her on. Figures began to emerge from the darkness. She tried to scream for them to leave her alone but her voice seemed to evaporate in her throat. They grabbed her and she lurched against them. She kicked them but she seemed to go right through them like ghost. Despite this fact their touch on her skin burned her pale skin and her now pale blue eyes brimmed with tears. Her strength was dwindling she had done everything she could, but now the end was near. They covered her mouth, yet again burning her with their touch, so they wouldn't hear her pathetic cries for mercy. The darkness was engulfing her, she couldn't breathe, and she was dying.
At that moment Skylar sat straight up in her bed panting, drenched in sweat from the drama of her nightmare. Her delicate fingers massaged her beating temples as she tried for the millionth time to write down what she had seen in her repeating nightmare. She nervously chewed on the end of her blue pen. It was on the verge of her memory she just couldn't remember. Skylar became so frustrated that she threw her journal and her pen at the opposite wall. She threw back her baby blue comforter and got up from bed. She looked over at her clock to see that it was six o' seven in the morning. Skylar figured she had enough time for a shower and she had enough time to do her hair. This was a miracle in and of it's self, Skylar was not a morning person and usually slept until the very last minute, even then it was hard to get her out of bed. But recently she had been plagued with nightmares that forced her to wake up at the very beginning of the morning. By then she was too afraid to go back to sleep.
As she let the water from the shower in her connected bathroom heat up she flipped through the pages of her journal. She had been awakened by this terrifying dream every night since her best friend, Iris, had died six months ago. Iris had died in a car accident. She was giving a friend from school a ride home from a party where the girl, Alexis, had gotten completely drunk. Iris was on one of the many mountain passes that surrounded the little town of Wellsboro, and all of a sudden Alexis woke up. She realized that it was her car that Iris was driving; she tried to grab the wheel from Iris and sent the car tumbling down a cliff. When they finally reached the bottom the car landed top down. It took two hours for the rescue crews to get down the treacherous cliff. When they finally did reach the tiny crushed car at the bottom of the cliff they had to hurry and pull them from the scene because the radiator and gas tank were leaking. At this point Iris had begun unbuckling Alexis as fast as she could upside down. The rescue crews burst through one of the windows and reached for Iris's hand. She pushed Alexis out in front of her because Iris was just that kind of a person, that's why everyone loved her. As the crew of rescuers pulled Alexis relatively safely from the wreckage, the car burst into flames. They ran to save Iris, but they were all too late. She died in that car at the bottom of that cliff and the one responsible for it all lived.
Skylar's vision blurred with tears at the memory of her beloved friend. She gasped for breath as she began to stand and walk slowly to the bathroom. She let the hot water pour over her tense body as she let the tears fall from her sky blue eyes. She washed her hair in silence, where as she would usually sing a random song. As she finished her shower she stepped out and started to towel dry her hair in front of a foggy mirror she remembered all the good times she had shared with her best friend. She remembered the funeral, all the tears, everyone loved Iris. She even remembered how sick she had made herself so that she wouldn't have to go to school and see every hall and every room that reminded Skylar of Iris. It had been six months since her dearest friend had passed and the world still seemed as if it needed to right itself.
Skylar contemplated who was responsible for Iris's death as she blew dried her hair. She knew for sure that it was Alexis's fault, she also laid some of the blame on Alexis's parents' shoulders, but most of all Skylar blamed God for taking one of his children home. She had saved Alexis's life and sacrificed her own what did it take for God to just help out a little and keep the fire away for three minutes, is that too much to ask? Skylar didn't think so. When she had found out that Iris had died she ran out into the forest in the rain and just stood there screaming at God. Why did he have to take Iris? Everyone loved Iris, did he not love Iris enough to save her life, or was he even real? From that moment on Skylar had renounce her belief in God, or even an all powerful being. She never prayed and she never went to church. At first her parents understood that she was grieving in her own way, but now that time had passed they pressured her to go to church and when she refused, they prayed. Sometimes at night after waking up from one of her nightmares Skylar could hear her mother crying out to God, to please guide her daughter into the light, please ease her burden. Skylar knew that her mom was just trying to help but she also thought that she was just wasting her breath.
Skylar walked out of her bathroom in a towel, and looked at all the pictures on the walls of her room. They were all of Iris and her, mostly just of Iris. Iris was so beautiful that it was impossible to forget her even if you just met her for a minute. But people always assumed, and this time they assumed she needed something to remember her by. She had even been given the cross Iris had worn all the time. She had even been wearing it when she died. The fire had melted it badly but they managed to save what they could, it was so melted it merged to form almost a heart. That made Skylar even angrier at God for leaving something behind so charred and mangled. She thought that God was supposed to leave thing that the world could use to remember the one's lost. This necklace didn't remind Skylar of Iris at all, she was so pure and perfect, this heart was deformed and ugly she couldn't see any resemblance between it and Iris.
Sign up to rate and review this story