Categories > Original > Horror > Hard To Find Angels In Hell

Walk On Vanity Ruins

by Mistressxwinter 0 reviews

When it comes to sacrifices, you have to pay the price.

Category: Horror - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-07-07 - Updated: 2007-07-07 - 1239 words

0Unrated
Sometimes the biggest sacrifice is one we have to face alone.

This jungle was a labyrinth of sorts, the green canopy of damp leaves left enough room for crystal clear light to reach the floor. Perhaps this place was hiding something, there were no imperfections for everything was at peace with each other. Animals lurked beneath the shadows but they did not stop Lily, instead they feared her like one touch meant death. A monkey howled at her arrival into his sanctuary then slipped behind a magnificent hemlock tree trunk. Almost blinded by the lack of light that reached the jungle floor, she trudged on, butterfly knife in hand.

Yet another vision had led her to this ancient place, so untouched and beautiful in the eye of the beholder, but this one was far more gruesome than ever. Lily had traveled far for this soul, or souls for that matter, but she couldn't grasp the concept of killing a newborn baby. Never had the Devil given her advice or guidance in her sprees and the shock she got from ripping away the life stream from a human's veins was still intact. In that vision she saw a temple, one worn down with age and rain, with a polished pathway and staircase. Inside were nine men and one woman and in her arms was a newborn with fresh red paint marked on it with barbaric symbols.

The vegetation waned as the sunlight grew stronger in a vast opening only a few twenty to thirty yards away, Lily could almost taste the crisp air that wasn't watered down with the scent of exotic leaves and insects. Her boots jingled with each passing step, finally they reached the glowing pathway to her desired destination. A lump in her throat forced her to choke as she rushed to the temple adorned with torches. Lily held on for dear life when she reached the staircase, a sinking feel burned caustically in her stomach. There was no turning back, it would surely rain and sweep her away if she did not complete the task.

Etched into the doorway of this historic relic was a primitive carving of a prophecy. A figure dressed in black, that had to be her, stood before a line of followers, the mother of the child holding out the baby ... Stepping inside she found the place to be scarce of all objects, the exception being a stone table which attracted all the light from a hole pierced into the ceiling. A grungy man tapped Lily's right shoulder, he quivered nervously. "Oh chosen one, the days of our patronage to Mother Earth has finally paid off. We cast aside one woman, Rosemary, to birth the sacred child of God's choosing. Ages ago we believed you were coming, chosen one, do not let us down!" spit dribbled down his chin, he was so pleased that he just about got on the floor to worship the ground she walked on.

Rosemary cowered in the corner, her tears were of both joy and painful regret. She wished that she had never been born into a cruel tribe of savage people who lived under a religion where sacrificing newborn children was downright crude. Only the strong survived for once you were sickly and tired, the only solution was to give you back to God. Her baby had been injected with a sedative so it would be in a fine state of mind when returned from where he came. Lily peered at the child from where she stood in the group of male worshipers.

Back in the corner another man stood, but he was not dingy or cruel like the others. Blood from past sacrifices stained his pure white fingers, the look on his face would never change. Into the light he stepped, snatching the baby from Rosemary. Lily shot him a harsh look but he just held out the child. "Whatever weapon you have picked for the ceremony, I suggest you hand it over to me, it needs to be dipped into the holy water," strangely his voice was quaking but he held a blank expression at all times.

Lily did as she was told, she closely watched him cleanse the balisong in the "holy" water. He graciously handed it back over to her while resting the baby on a musty old towel. "Proper incisions must be administered to his stomach and head. Just follow the markings, make sure to cut deep. Quick and easy, you can do it. Many before you have finished the job. Remember, you don't feel enough for the child to cry." Lily closed her eyes while plunging the knife into the baby's stomach, breaking the organs within. Rosemary curled up in the corner, her hands stroked the stomach which had been the child's home for nine painstaking months.

"I see the glistening tears in your eyes, make them fade away into the sparkling pools of blue in your eyes. I, Saint Viticus, dealt with this many times. When I heard another holy one would relieve me of my job for this one last time, I prayed you'd be just like me, cold and unfeeling. Surely you've killed before, am I right?" the man whispered as Lily cringed when the swedge of the blade became as sharp as the edge, both sides sinking into the forehead.

"Stop muttering to me. I know, I know. But I don't want to be the unfeeling homebody who loves no one other than herself. Far away there's someone cares for me and even farther there is someone who once cared. One day I will learn to give back the love I received," Lily snapping, dropping the knife in defeat. The baby no longer could breathe, his lungs were punctured and many important brain cells had been snapped. She'd done it. Viticus offered her a glowing gun. "Silver bullets, also bathed in holy water. Shoot them. No witnesses."

"And you?"

"A Saint never gives up their life without a noble cause. You shooting me would do nothing, I have to be willing to end it. Wandering the Earth shunned by everyone is the life I've been damned to. A 'savior' like you has no right to take that from me." He stalked out of the temple and was swallowed by the vines in the jungle. Lily knew she had to do this without thinking, she relentlessly pulled the trigger on the unsuspecting praying villagers. Only Rosemary remained. "You've given up enough to this tainted world. Escape before you lose what you never really had," Lily's arm grew unsteady when she pointed the gun at the surviving person.

"My sacrifice would have been in vain then. Rules ... The rules state that the bearer of the child must die as well, she shall join her baby in Heaven," Rosemary covered her eyes with grimy hands.

"Heaven doesn't really exist, you ought to stop believing what they feed you."

"It does, you'll see! Chosen one, you of all people should know ..."

"Nothing. That's what Heaven is. No one has a halo, there are no clouds, and you'll die believing I am right," Lily's breathing became shallow as she pumped the last bullet into Rosemary's skull. Eleven people laid deceased in the temple, Lily turned her back on them as she realized that only thirty nine people remained.

"I'm so close to what I lost ... But do I want it anymore?"
Sign up to rate and review this story