Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Here Is Your Verse

Saturday

by killxsmile 3 reviews

the gears are in motion...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor, Romance - Published: 2007-07-11 - Updated: 2007-07-12 - 1285 words - Complete

0Unrated
Author's Note: woohoo! reviews!

warm puppies and diamond earrings go out to the following:
dflip07
kissbetweenstars
SingYourLungsOut
xloveorsympathy
Rhi
ssketchator


i love you all thiiiiiiiiiis muuuuuuuuch. seriously.

Chapter 17: Saturday

Saturday. When these open doors were open-ended.
-Fall Out Boy

Emi's POV

It went as all Saturdays before it.

My mom left for work at 7:00. I got up at 8:29, just before my alarm clock went off. Took a shower. Fed Pharrell. Made breakfast. Got Ben out of bed. Watched cartoons.

After lunch, Liv stopped by to vent about a fight she and Jasper had. Clearly stressed out, she took a seat on the couch.

"Fucking shit. I royally screwed up this time."
"What happened?"
"We stopped my blockbuster to get a movie. He said something about Max flirting with me at the counter and I joked about it. Before I knew it, both of us were screaming at each other in the middle of the parking lot..." she ran a hand through her hair and sighed. "Now we're not talking to each other."
"It'll blow over," I said, handing her a pint of ice cream and a spoon. "You and Jasp have been together for...well, forever actually. One little argument over meaningless flirting isn't going to change the how much you love each other."
"You really think so?"
"I know so. I'm Emi the Wise. Jasp will eventually come around. For now, let's eat ice cream and watch movies."

*
Sappy piano music played as Blaine appeared in the doorway.
"He showed," Andie said, happily surprised.
"Umm, Andie?" Duckie said, clearly confused.
"I'll get that..."


All of a sudden, the doorbell rang. I passed the bowl of popcorn to Ben and answered the door.

"Hey, Em. Is Liv here?" Jasper asked, daisies in hand.
"Yeah, she's on the couch," I said, letting him in. I stood in the doorway and watched them.

"Here," he said, handing her the flowers. They stood there awkwardly for a few seconds, neither knowing what to say. Ben silently crept into the kitchen, sensing the tension.

"Listen, I'm sorry about yelling at you earlier," he said, looking down at his shoes.
"I'm sorry about the whole Max thing..."
"Elephant sneeze?" He asked. Back in 7th grade, he and Liv would always get caught passing notes to each other. Our homeroom teacher would read them out loud, so instead of signing off with "love you" they used:
"Elephant sneeze." He let out a small laugh, then leaned down and gave her a kiss. After pulling away, she laced her fingers with his and rested her head on his chest.

Liv and Jasper were as close to fairytale that you could get. As they walked out the door, she mouthed a "thank you." I smiled and closed the door behind them.

Ben tentatively opened the door and came out of the kitchen.
"Did they fight?"
"No," I said, smiling at his curiosity. "They kissed and made up."
"Oh, that's good." He followed me as I walked back into the living room.

"Um, Emi, I have a question."
"What's up?" I plopped onto the couch.
"Why didn't mommy and daddy kiss and make up?"
"Well..."

I really didn't know what to say. When my parents split up, it was really out of the blue. There weren't any telltale signs-no mysterious lipstick on my dad's collar, no late night phone calls to my mom, no bruises, not even raised voices behind closed doors.

One day they were talking about going out to dinner with friends, the next, they were calling lawyers. To this day, the only explanation I've acquired was on the divorce papers themselves: "irreconcilable differences."

"Mom and dad...they're like Andie and Duckie," I said, trying to put it into terms Ben would understand. "They cared about each other a lot, but they just weren't meant to be." Ben looked down and nodded.
"Oh."
"But it doesn't always end up like that." I added. That wasn't the only impression of love that I wanted to give him. "Lots of people are like Jasper and Liv...happily ever after. Kinda like Sam and Jake in Sixteen Candles."
"...So are you and Pete happily ever after?"

That question was more thought provoking than I expected. Happily ever after...

Pete and I weren't quite up to Liv and Jasper status, but he made me feel like I was something special... We wouldn't have to go out to a fancy restaurant or even to the mall for our dates. Just playing video games at in Joe's room and falling asleep on his zebra striped beanbag chair was enough.

"Yeah, you could say that."
"That's good...Could we watch High Fidelity now?"
"Sure."

I popped it into the DVD player and made some more popcorn as the trailers flashed across the screen. Making my way back to the couch, I found that Ben paused the movie for me. I handed him the bowl, then pressed play. A spinning record came into view, then the scene panned out to John Cusack wearing a pair of headphones.

"What came first: the music or the misery?" People worry about kids playing with guns or watching violent videos like some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs, about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss...

*
I woke up to the smell of pizza. Since the DVD player was off and Ben was nowhere to be seen, I assumed that I fell asleep during the movie. Out of the corner of my eye, a red light flashed. 6:15. "I guess mom's home early."

Instead of seeing her setting the table, Pete was sliding a plate toward Ben.

"Hey, sleepyhead." Pete brushed some hair out of my face then pressed his lips against my cheek.
"Mmm..." I smiled. "When did you get here?"
"When the Kinky Wizards got signed to Top Five Records."
"Nice."

Pete pulled out my chair and all three of us devoured the pizza. Giordano's was cheese-covered heaven.

"Emi, these came in for you." Ben handed me a stack of mail. Latest issue of AP, missing persons card, missing persons card, letter from Berkley, sale at Delia's...

Wait, letter from Berkley?

I dropped everything else onto the counter, then quickly ripped open the envelope. It's paper covering laid on the floor, but I still couldn't find the courage to unfold it. On one hand, it could be an acceptance letter, my ticket to the west coast. On the other hand, it could be a rejection letter, sealing my fate with University of Illinois. There's nothing wrong with U of I, but I had always dreamed of going to California. Now I'm just getting off topic...

Bottom line: that flimsy sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper would determine my fate for the next four years.

"Em, what is it?" Pete asked, somewhat worried.
"Letter from Berkley..."
"Did you get in?"
"I don't know..." I stood there, just staring at the neatly folded sheet of paper. "Here, you take it."
"You sure you want me to open it?"
"Yeah."
"Positive?"
"Positive."
"Just open it, Pete!" Ben said. Pete glanced at me and I nodded.

Before that moment, I never knew that a piece of paper could cause so much anxiety. As his eyes scanned the page, Pete's expression was unreadable.

He looked up from the paper and directed his gaze toward me. "You're in."
"Are you serious?! Holy--" He pressed his lips against mine.

Then it hit me.

How is happily ever after possible when Prince Charming is in a land far, far away?

*
you're dying to know what happens next, right?
REVIEW and you just might find out.

yes. i know i'm evil.
Sign up to rate and review this story