Categories > Original > Sci-Fi

Fight or Flight

by Ryder 0 reviews

Thump thump... Thump thump... A short one-shot on my made up alien species.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama, Sci-fi - Published: 2007-07-17 - Updated: 2007-07-18 - 343 words - Complete

0Unrated
Thump-thump. Thump-thump.

Hidden. For now, anyway. I didn't know how long I could stay still- hopefully long enough so that the monster would leave- yet I knew that if I didn't move soon that I would be killed or eaten. Quite possibly both.

The deadly creature wasn't sentient. That didn't mean it was stupid. It would find me. And when it does, my blades must be ready to fight with the wretched terror that is the Drelash. Metal would meet teeth and claws. Skill would fight instinct.

Fight or flight, I believe is the term. Adrenaline coursed through my veins as I saw the quadruped come closer and closer, a silent stalker hunting its prey. If I was not looking at it, I couldn't possibly realize that it came nearer to me. The Drelash was a red-gold color, indicating it was a female.

It was near impossible to clear my mind; the thought of becoming her children's food kept creeping back in. She came closer... and closer... My heart pounded; the only sound I heard was screaming.

Was it my own? For some reason the Drelash quickened its pace toward me, bounding ahead to intercept her prey. I must have screamed. I did scream, all my horror and memories charging back into my head, remembering my son.

I jumped up into the air, sailing over the graceful predator that was the Drelash, effectively dodging its assault on me. But she could turn around faster than I could get a head start. But running wasn't my only option.

A streak of red and, for a moment, silence.

Thump-thump. Thump-thump.

Instinctively, I raised my arms to block my face. Blades shot out of my wrists, holding back the creature's claws. I pushed it away from me, and quickly revealed my ankle blades.

The Drelash fell onto its paws, panting. Fear practically seeped out of its being. I growled and the creature ran.

Fight or flight. For this time, she chose flight.

Next time, I knew, there would be a fight. To the death.

Thump-thump. Thump-thump.
Sign up to rate and review this story