Categories > Games > Zelda > The Legend Begins

Courtship

by Janus_Kamaren 0 reviews

War erupts in Hyrule as Ganondorf Dragmire attempts to conquer the kingdom. King Harkinian gathers his armies in preparation to liberate his people. In the middle of all this is a young man named L...

Category: Zelda - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Ganon, Ganondorf, Impa, Link, Zelda - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-07-21 - Updated: 2007-07-22 - 1196 words

0Unrated
I do not own the Legend of Zelda or anything related to it. Nathan, Ammon, Talius, Orgis, Ophelius, and Mandrag are all the property of me. However, the name Mandrag is the property of Nintendo.



THE LEGEND BEGINS



By: Janus Kamaren



Chapter 8: Courtship



Link stepped into Miniras's study and began rummaging through different scrolls. The night before, he saw the Blade of Evil's Bane in his dream, with the same message that the Triforce of Wisdom had given him. He saw an image of himself holding the sword high above his head, a light shining from the white blade. The dream had changed, showing Ganon's face, grinning maliciously. He heard the cries of the people of Hyrule, but one cry stood out above all: Nathan's.

"I believe this is what you are looking for, Link." Link looked back to the doorway. Impa was there, holding a scroll. She handed it to him. Thanking her, he unrolled it. Inside was a picture of a sword, the same he had seen in his dream.

"The Master Sword," Impa said. "Also known as the Blade of Evil's Bane and the Sword of Evil's Bane." She looked at Link. "It rests in the Temple of the Gods." Link looked at Impa. He started to say something, but stopped. Impa unrolled another scroll. Link glanced at it and pulled it to him.


When all is lost, and Darkness chokes the land Then shall the Hero come, but seem a normal Man But blessed by the Gods is he


And he shall make the people free



He shall fight and end Shadow's reign
By using the Sword of Evil's Bane


"It's you, Link," Impa said solemnly. "It's talking about you." Link stared at the poem quietly.

"That's what the Triforce said," he whispered. "I-it can't be."

"And why is that?"

"I'm no one! I can't possibly-"
Then shall the Hero come, but seem a normal Man


Link knew in his heart that he was the one spoken of, but he couldn't accept it. He sat down, his face in his hands. Impa sat by him, placing her old hand on his shoulder.

"It's time to stop running, Link."



"My lord, we have an ambassador from Calatia."

"Excellent. Send him in." The servant left the room, and a fair-haired Calatian man stepped in, clothed in red and gold. He was tall and had golden eyes. His ears lacked the pointed tip of the Hylians. He bowed respectfully before Harkinian.

"Welcome, sir. What is your name?"

"I am Torinth of Calatia, King Harkinian," the ambassador responded. "I have word from Caldin, King of Calatia. Our armies are ready, and we wish to stand by your side in the fight against Ganondorf Dragmire. King Caldin proposes that both our countries' armies meet at the shores of Hylia and launch an assault on Death Mountain."

"This would be a wise course of action, my lord," Orgis, the King's advisor, said. Harkinian nodded. Finally, the time had come.

"Agreed. We will ride at first light."



Link walked through the corridors of Miniras. He and Impa had spoken for a few hours, and he was feeling much calmer. He still wasn't quite used to the fact that he was the Hero of Legend, and he still had some doubt in his mind. Nevertheless, he would go to the Temple of the Gods the next day. He had faith that he would understand better.

However, at the moment, the young man had other things to worry about. Taking a deep breath, he knocked on Zelda's bedroom door.

"Just a minute," she responded from inside. She opened the door, smiling upon seeing Link.

"Hi, Link!"

"Hi," he responded nervously. He held out three King's Glory flowers. Each flower had large blue, red, and purple petals on them. "I thought that you'd-oh, no." Link was horrified to find that the flowers had started to wilt a little. Zelda chuckled, taking them from Link's hand.

"Don't worry, Link. I think they're beautiful. Thank you!" She quickly put them in a vase. Link wiped the sweat off his brow, feeling very foolish. Zelda came back over to him.

"Do you want to go to the courtyard? It's a beautiful night," she asked. Link cleared his throat.

"Yes, I'd like to," he said, still failing to suppress his nerves.

"Okay, I'll meet you out there in a few minutes," Zelda responded, closing the door.



Link moved a knight, waiting for Zelda to make her move. Link was feeling much less nervous now. He was wearing his usual green cap and green tunic over a brown shirt and pants. Zelda was wearing a pink dress with a white shawl wrapped around her shoulders. Link thought that she looked beautiful, but didn't have the courage to admit it. However, he did tell her that she looked nice, to which she blushed and thanked him, telling him that he looked nice as well.

"You can't win this one, you know," Link teased. Zelda smiled and moved a rook.

"Check mate." Link stared at the board, then looked back at Zelda's smiling face.

"It's just because you have the Triforce of Wisdom, you know," he said jokingly.

"You couldn't have won even if you had it, Link," Zelda teased back.

"Well... excuse me, Princess," Link said, acting as if he were deeply offended. Zelda laughed, and they put the pieces in a small box and sat on a stone bench next to a small pond with a statue of the Triforce in the center. The moon's bright reflection was seen in the water.

"So, what's something you're afraid of, Link?" Zelda asked. Link thought for a moment, skipping over the obvious things like Hyrule being conquered.

"Well... I've always hated Redeads and Gibdos."

"Really? I don't blame you." Zelda chuckled. "Explains that tree branch story." Link sighed.

"I know, I know." Zelda laughed, and Link looked at her. "So, what's something that you're afraid of?" he asked. Zelda didn't need nearly as much time to respond.

"Snakes," she said simply.

"Snakes?"

"Snakes."

"Now, what's wrong with a long, slithering reptile that sticks its tongue out at random?" Zelda was about to respond, when suddenly there was a crash. Both turned to find Orgis. He had accidentally tripped and knocked over a pot. Amazingly, it hadn't broken.

"Oh, forgive me," he said sheepishly, setting it back up. "I am so embarrassed..." He went back inside very quickly. Link and Zelda looked at each other and chuckled a bit. Zelda looked back up to the sky and sighed.

"It's getting late," she said. She looked at Link. "So you're leaving right after my father?"

"Yes."

"You should get some sleep."



Link and Zelda stopped outside of Zelda's room. She looked at him, smiling.

"Link, I had a great time tonight," she said.

"So did I."

"Be careful tomorrow."

"I will." Zelda suddenly threw her arms around Link's neck and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Good night," she whispered, stepping into her room and closing the door behind her. Link stood there for a moment, blushing, his hand on his cheek, completely dumbfounded by what had just happened.




Sign up to rate and review this story