Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Down the road, not across the street

HANGING BY A MOMENT HERE WITH YOU...

by grandtheftautumn 3 reviews

I proudly present the final chapter for "Down the Road, Not Across the Street."

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Romance - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-08-14 - Updated: 2007-08-15 - 2797 words

0Unrated
Chapter 26 - HANGING BY A MOMENT HERE WITH YOU...

Dearest readers and reviewers,

Thank you for all your support and I hope you enjoyed my very first fanfic.



My final song suggestion is:



For me this is heaven - Jimmy Eat World

Sorry for the wait but I have a peace offering of a lengthy chapter, ergo the song should finish before the end of the chapter. You only need to play it through once.



Start song now... =]





*





Chapter 26 - HANGING BY A MOMENT HERE WITH YOU...



As the wavelength on Amara's ERG screen flat lined, simultaneously Patrick, Joe, Andy and Jon whipped their heads to the direction of Amara's room. Brendon and Pete were running out in panic, eyes searching the long white corridors for help.



Moments later she was rushed out on the gurney into the ER. Her friends could do nothing but stand back and watch helplessly as the doctors worked to restore the natural rhythm of her heart.



"Come on Amara. Ryan needs you," whispered Pete through the pane of glass separating him from Amara.



I need you.



Spencer had burst through the hospital. Tears streaming down his face as he held Ryan's limp body in his arms.



"No," gasped Brendon.



*

Amara's POV



The last thing I remember was the barrel of the gun. Followed by multiple flashes of Chastity, Wil and Charlie.



She could hear male crying far away. She eventually recognised it as Ryan, even though she had only ever heard him cry once. It felt like an endless nightmare.



There she stood in the darkness as sorrowful voices echoed in the blackness that cloaked her. She felt no physical pain; she couldn't feel much at all really. However she was feeling rather faint and very weak. Sleep was very appealing, she felt as if she could sleep forever.



The nightmares faded, taking Amara somewhere more pleasant, but at the same time void of feeling. I was surrounded by loved ones, their voices talked to me and I voiced my reply, but it was as if they hadn't heard what I said. They continued to talk more so directly at me, not really /to/me. This went on for hours...



I grew tired of their voices. I just wanted to be there with them, not stuck here in this void. I tried getting closer to the voices but they never grew louder. It was like chasing the wind. I couldn't hear Ryan's voice anymore. I could barely ever feel his presence, which had been the only comfort for me in this strange place.



Something felt wrong.



Then suddenly I felt as if something inside me died. A light shone through the 'mist.' It was warm, almost inviting. Could it be...? That legendary white light that drew people towards it once they had reached "their time."



This must be it.



I must be dying.



Something was telling me I had to let go. I had to let Ryan go. Something was not right.



I slowly worked towards it; the white light appeared to grow brighter.



I stopped as I felt an intense surge of electricity course through my body, followed by another jolt and then another.



And then it ended. The light faded, the void disappeared.



*



Ryan's POV



Almost every near-death experience is partnered with the good old saying, "And your life flashes before your eyes."



If it doesn't, does that mean you're not dead?



My life was flashing before my eyes long before the car went over that hill.



Amara flashed before my eyes, so I guess the threat of losing her, the possibility of her death makes my life flash before my eyes.



Those thirty seconds of great physical pain didn't last long, but it was still no comparison to the pain I felt when I found Amara on that floor. I vaguely remember driving, and now I had no idea where I was.



Ryan found himself surrounded by a white pearly substance neither liquid nor gas.



"Ryan..."

called a panicked voice. It was Amara but her voice was growing steadily weaker.



Then the 'fog' lifted. There stood Ryan on a beach, the same beach where they were staying for Amara's birthday.



*



Amara's POV

I opened my eyes to find the blue sky high above me. No more bright white light, and instead warm rays of sunshine piercing through fluffy white clouds.



I sat up and found myself surrounded by sand, waves crashing before me, and dressed in same dark grey corset and mauled Cinderella gown from the Fall Out Boy party.



The void, the haze, the light... had all disappeared but I was still left with the feeling something wasn't right. Something was missing. Someone was dying.



"Ryan..." I whispered.



I felt as if stuck in a perfect limbo. Trapped between death and living, something not quite dreams or reality.



Ryan...help me.

I was concentrating so hard on my thoughts of Ryan; Ithought I heard a faint voice calling my name.



"Amara? Amara!" I could almost hear him next to me.



Elbows propped up on my knees, I rested my chin in my palms. I stared out on the long stretch of beach and doubled backwards as I saw afamiliar face walking towards me.

Dressed in the familiar grey blazer trimmed in a pearly satin; a black collared long-sleeve and black pinstripe pants was Ryan.



My Ryan.



I must be dreaming.



"Amara!" the hallucination called out to me.



Oh my god.



"Ryan? Ryan-Ryan-Ryan-Ryan..." I blurted out as I ran towards him, praying this was real and he was here with me.



"Oh god? Is it really you? If you're here... then, then I'm dreaming... or dead," Amara's eyes widened with the shocking realisation. "Ry... oh god Ryan I thought I'd never see you again. I never got to tell you I love you. Is this... I mean, are you real?"



Ryan cautiously wrapped his arms around her, fearful that his hands would pass through her like air. After a moment he realised that wasn't going to happen, he pulled her into a fierce embrace.



"I'd say so... but it's more like those cheesy out of body experiences. Amara... I couldn't save you. It's all my fault. If I didn't leave you alone then... then he wouldn't have... and you wouldn't have gotten shot. You wouldn't be here," said Ryan.



"Ryan... don't blame yourself. No one could have seen that coming okay... I just... I just don't understand why you're here... did something bad happen," she braced herself in fear of the answer.



Ryan gave her a warm, calming smile. "No. No, I'm fine. Ijust need you to wake up. I need to know you're going to be okay and I'll be okay."



Ryan twirled Amara around on the beach in her formal attire, before pulling her in close and dipping her above the crashing waves. He could feel the same jolts running through his chest.



"It's time for you to go back," whispered Ryan.



"Are you coming with me?" asked Amara.



Ryan shook his head in reply.



"No! No you can't let me go. You have to come to. You have to come back. Don't leave me..." she cried out to him before he silenced her lips with a gentle kiss.



She could feel his soft lips upon her own, and melted into them, tears streaming down her face.



"Wait for me..." he whispered into her ear and Amara's eyes shot open. She sat up in bed and found herself no longer on the beach. The emotions she had felt had been powerful enough to regain her consciousness.



"Ryannnnnnn," she cried out as her eyes searched the white sterile room.



It took a moment for her to realise she was not alone. Several pairs of deep brown eyes watched her anxiously, and at the same time there were many smiling faces full of relief.



But Amara was only concerned about one thing, or in this case, one person.



"Ryan? Where's Ryan...?" she asked them.



Everyone had grave expressions. They glanced over at one another silently wondering how they could explain to Amara what had happened to Ryan.



Pete stepped forward and pulled her into a warm, tight embrace.



"You scared me so much," he said. Tears steamed down his face as he incessantly muttered, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."



Flabbergasted Amara hugged him back. Their heads lay on each other's shoulders.



"I thought I'd lost you... all that ran through my head was the last time I saw you before... before..." stuttered Pete.



"Shhh... it's okay. I'm okay now," she consoled him.



"I love you Amara," he whispered.



She paused and smiled to herself, "I love you too Pete."



"I love you too, Brendon," said Amara, as Brendon grasped firmly on her hand. She looked up at her audience, warm sensations washed over her at the sight of all her loved ones, "All of you."



"Please someone tell me, where is he... is he okay? I need to know," she told them



Spencer spoke up, his voice cracked as he struggled to speak. Lacey gently squeezed his hand in support.



"Ry.. Ry.. Ryan was in a car accident," stuttered Spencer."I saw it happen, I was following him after he stormed out of the hospital. Iwas scared he might do something crazy, he was such a wreck... I should have stopped him... he was such a mess... shouldn't have let him driv...."



Spencer eyes welled up with tears. Lacey escorted him out of the room to calm him down. Amara's face fell at her understanding of everything that had just happened.



It was Ryan that was dying. And he knew it. That's why he couldn't go back with me.



Amara looked down at her hands clasped in her lap. She tried to fight back the tears but it was no use.



"He's still in the ER, Amara. Hope isn't lost yet..." said Brendon.



"Can I see him...?" she asked hopefully.



"I'm afraid you can't. I'm sorry honey but you've been through a lot and you just woke up. I'll check up on him for you and fill you in okay..." he said.



Amara lay back on her hospital bed. She turned onto her side, blocking out everyone else. She just wanted to be alone.



He's not dead... yet.

He could pull through... but it's very slim.



Amara was torn over Ryan's condition. The severity of the situation overshadowed any glimmer of hope Amara held onto. She tried to think positive but it was hard. Eventually exhaustion caught up, and Amara hoped she would return to the same beach and Ryan would be waiting for her.





Hours later, the nurses wheeled Ryan in on the gurney and moved him gently into the bed next to Amara.



"The doctors said he's very weak. They got a stable heart beat but they're going to watch over his condition for the next couple of days," Brendon mumbled softly.



"Amara he's gonna pull through right? You did. You'd think someone who sustained a car accident and a bullet wound would be dead by..." he trailed off.



"I hope so," she said.



Amara was left alone in the room. She slowly got out of bed and made her way over to Ryan's bed.



"Come on Ryan. We need you. Spencer, Brendon ... everyone,"she whispered.



I need you.



Amara sat by his bedside for the rest of the night.



"I'll do anything if you please just open your eyes," she said. "I love you Ryan."



"Funny, I said the same thing to you this morning," said Pete as he entered the room. "Umm, not the "I love you Ryan" bit... I mean... He's going to be okay Amara, I just know it. Ryan's a fighter just like you... he's tougher than his physic would suggest."



Pete gave her a small smile and Amara returned the gesture.



"I want you to know something... I still love you. I always will. But I want what's best for you and what makes you happy," Pete said holding her gaze. "Look I know how much you love Ryan, and I'm not blind. I can see he loves you in the same way. I'm not a home wrecker or into girlfriend stealing. I had my chance..."



"You didn't blow it. I know you were innocent back in New York. I'm not sure if you knew, but that was a whole set up by Chastity and Wil."



For a moment Pete looked shocked as if he had been punched in the stomach, but soon recovered. Amara continued on...



"I shouldn't have overreacted about it... I just had a big trust issue. I did love you Pete. I still do. You mean so much to me. You've been a big part of my life," Amara sighed with a smile



"I know he'll pull through," said Pete sincerely. After apause he said, "But if, god forbid, it doesn't work out ..."



Amara shook her at his goofy grin and rolled her eyes. She couldn't help but smile, even though now kind of seemed inappropriate. Pete could always make her laugh.



"You'll be the first one I call," she finished off. "So friends?"



"Always..." smiled Pete.



"And forever?" she teased, quoting One Tree Hill.



"Til death do us part," he grinned. "Are you sure you don't want to marry me?"



"I'm sure. I want my children not to end up heavily tattooed from the waist up."

*

Ryan's POV



She was gone, and there I was feeling more alive as I felt her lips on my own. The jolts faded and there I lay in my dreams. For ages voices surrounding me, talking to me, voices I couldn't reply to. But one voice stood out as the rest begin to fade away.



"I love you Ryan," I heard Amara call out to me over and over.



I then felt a great pulling force, almost as if vacuum was sucking me backwards.



I was back in my body. I was awake... no longer in my dreams but back to reality. Before me, Amara lay fast asleep on my lap.



It's possible I could still be dreaming so I pinched myself to test it.



Owww. Yes, this is real.



I stroked her soft brown hair, and she stirred in her sleep. I watched her rest peacefully for a moment before she stirred again and woke up. All I could do was smile at her as she wrapped her arms around me. Istruggled to do the same but I eventually managed.



I continued to stroke her hair as she cried into my shoulder. I tried to fight back tears but gave up. I was just happy to see her alive and well and thankful I was still alive (and not so well) to see it.



We lay side by side into the late hours, enjoying the moment in all its serenity.



*



A week later we were back home in Summerlin. It was a warm summer afternoon as Amara joined me on my bed.



"Hey..." I greeted her softly. "I have something for you."



"Oooo what is it?" she said with intrigued.



I was meaning to give you this a couple weeks back... but Iwas waiting for the right moment. I've just realised so much within the past month... the past year really and... well I can't wait another second. Amara... I've loved you for so long. I want you to have this," said Ryan pulling out a small box.



Amara gasped at this unexpected proposal. For as long as she could remember she was in love with Ryan and the possibility of getting married... well it had crossed her mind in fantasies but never thought of it to become a reality.



"It's only a promise ring, but I'd like you to have it. It's not much... and I... I know were still a bit young. It doesn't have to be today, but some day. Just so I know that you... that you would... in case I almost ever lose you again," said Ryan.



Amara was overwhelmed with happiness as Ryan's gesture filled her body with warmth.



"It's beautiful Ryan... I love it," she replied, admiring the white gold band. Letters were inscribed inside...



ryan & amara ...the beginning of always



"I love you, Ryan Ross."



"I love you, Amara James."









~ THE END ~











Hey guys, now you've read it... go review it =]



BTW, I am officially announcing that there WILL BE A SEQUEL to Down the Road... exciting I know ha ha ha... However, Iwon't be posting it for a couple months because I have another fic I've been waiting to post on here. I hope you enjoyed Down the Road... and thank you to all my readers, and wonderful reviewers. Look out for my new fic not yet titled...



























Sign up to rate and review this story