Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Flipped: A different Inuyasha story

Episode 29: Confusion and Suspicion

by animecrazedgirl 0 reviews

Lots of Suspicion and Confusion going around. Why did Miroku do what he did? Is he in love with Kagome? Is he evil? Or is it something else entirely? The others ponder this but what's this? Inu...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Inuyasha,Kagome,Kirara,Miroku,Sango - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-08-17 - Updated: 2007-08-17 - 4897 words - Complete

0Unrated
Japanese Volcabulary:

hanyou: half demon

taijiya: slayer

--------------------------

Episode 29: Confusion and Suspicion

Inuyasha walked slowly through the forest, each step feeling heavier than the last. The ache still filled his chest despite how much he wished that it would go away. He sighed.

He'd never felt so betrayed before and it was not a feeling he particularly enjoyed. He clenched his fist but with no real anger behind it. He shook his head. Why couldn't he just be angry? Why couldn't he just stay mad at Miroku?

He lifted his weary gaze upwards, but without actually seeing anything. He'd welcome anger to the ache he felt right now.

He frowned with mournful eyes. Miroku had been his friend. His FRIEND. How could he do this to him? I mean, it wasn't like Miroku had ever shown any feelings towards Kagome other than friendship..... right?

Inuyasha furrowed his brows as doubts began to creep into his mind. Come to think of it, Miroku did seem to be spending more time with Kagome recently and he had been acting strangely....

Inuyasha's eyes widened slightly. What if... What if Miroku had fallen in love with Kagome? Inuyasha wasn't completely sure what to think of that thought. Having Kagome still in love with Sesshoumaru was bad enough, but to have another guy to worry about and one who he had thought was his friend on top of that?

The white haired boy felt his shoulders slump as a guilt-ridden thought filled his mind. If Miroku had indeed fallen in love with Kagome... then what right had he had to yell at the slayer? If he loved Kagome, then he was going to want to kiss her, right? How would he have felt if he had been in Miroku's place?

He felt his shoulders slump further from the belief that Miroku had fallen in love with Kagome. It explained everything and now he was feeling guilty.

Then, he had a thought that struck fear in his heart. What if... What if Miroku got Kagome to fall in love with him before Inuyasha managed to? Inuyasha didn't like that thought. He didn't like it one bit.

Inuyasha stopped as he suddenly realized where his feet had taken him. He lifted his gaze up to the great tree, that he now stood before, where he had first laid eyes on Kagome and where he'd gone to for comfort many times, in a time that was the past to him but wouldn't happen for many centuries here.

Inuyasha felt a slight smile tug at his lips. Funny that he'd come here of all places exactly when he needed it. Inuyasha's smile faded. He sighed as he recalled his thoughts of before and leaned forward to press his forehead against the smooth patch on the trunk of the tree, allowing his eyes to close.

He frowned as he released another sigh. How is it that his life had become so complicated in as little as two months?

Inuyasha felt a smile tug once more at his lips. Two months? He lifted his head up to stare at the branches of the tree. Was it really possible that all that had happened, all the meetings he'd had, the friends he'd made, the battles he'd fought, the adventures he'd had, and the realizations he'd made..... had all happened in two months? He smiled slightly. It almost seemed unthinkable but he knew it to be true. He had the memories to prove it.

He sighed but paused as a flash of black caught his gaze in the branches above. He squinted his eyes as he stared hard at where he'd seen it and felt his eyes widen in surprise.

"Kagome?" He said softly to himself.

But... hadn't she been in the hut with Miroku... His eyes widened. Wait a minute. Now that he thought about it, she hadn't been in the room when he'd left Miroku there. His eyes suddenly widened further in panic. Wait! What if she'd heard all that he'd said to Miroku?! But thinking back he realized that she'd left almost immediately after he'd thrown Miroku away from her. He felt relief wash over him. So that meant she hadn't heard what he'd said to Miroku. He'd made some... close confessions he didn't want her to hear..... at least not for a LONG while....

Inuyasha sighed but turned his gaze back to where Kagome was. He couldn't see her very well because of all the leaves but he could tell enough that she hadn't moved at all as he'd gotten lost in his thoughts. He frowned. This wasn't like Kagome. She must've known he was here by now....

"Kagome?" he said, knowing that she'd hear him, or at least she should've been able to. But she remained unmoving as if she hadn't heard.

Inuyasha frowned but called again. "Kagome?"

Still no answer. The boy of the future furrowed his brows. Okay. Now he knew something wasn't right. He called a couple more times just to be sure but after receiving no answers he finally took matters into his own hands.

Inuyasha emitted a soft grunt as he heaved himself up onto the low branch. He reached an arm up to the next one and lifted himself up onto that branch before reaching up for his next handhold. He mentally thanked the fact that he'd climbed this tree and many others in his childhood, and in recent years as well, as he made his way up to where Kagome sat.

He eventually reached a limb just below Kagome's branch, and with one last effort, he pulled himself up to where Kagome was. It was a wide branch that left space for both him and Kagome to sit along with plenty of room to spare. Inuyasha sat for a moment, allowing himself to catch his breath. It was a tall tree and Kagome was on a very high branch. When he was finished, he turned to Kagome and was surprised at the sight he saw.

Kagome was sitting with her knees held tightly to her chest with her arms wrapped around them, hands in clenched fists. Her head was buried in her knees and her ebony dog ears were flattened tightly against her head.

'Well, that would explain why she couldn't hear me,' Inuyasha thought absently, staring at the furry, black appendages clasped tightly to her skull.

Inuyasha shook his head of the thought as he observed the girl before him. Finally, he reached a hand out to touch her shoulder.

"Kagome?"

The female half demon tensed, pulling back from the contact. Inuyasha stared at her in concern and crawled forwards on the branch so that he was now sitting beside her with his back against the trunk. Inuyasha frowned before reaching out to brush a hand across her hair.

"Kagome?" He said, brows furrowed. "Look at me."

The girl seemed to pause as if trying to decide something.

"Kagome," he repeated, almost pleading. "Please look at me."

The black haired hanyou was still for a moment, but then she slowly released her knees, unclenching her fists, letting the arms fall limply at her sides. She paused, but Inuyasha reached out a hand and grabbed her chin as he had done the night he had first kissed her cheek, and turned her face towards him. What he saw almost broke his heart.

Light brown orbs stared up at him, wide with pain and fear. It reminded him of the Kagome he'd seen in the clearing the Celestial Jewel was made in and the Kagome he'd seen in this very clearing after Sesshoumaru had tried to kill her.

"Kagome..." Inuyasha murmured, with pained eyes of his own.

Before the female half demon could protest, he pulled her into a fierce hug, as if trying to shield her from the very things that had caused that look to appear in her eyes. Kagome tensed for a moment but then relaxed, allowing him to hold her. As Inuyasha held her, he realized that Kagome was trembling very slightly. He pulled her closer as he frowned. This was the third time he'd seen this Kagome and he couldn't completely say he liked it. Everytime he saw this Kagome it was because she was pained or sad and he hated seeing her like that.

He placed his face in her hair, closing his eyes. Kagome looked so vulnerable now and those other two times. It kind of scared him a little.

"Inuyasha...."

Inuyasha's eyes snapped open as he stared down at her head, ears no longer flattened but drooping instead.

There was a moment of silence before Inuyasha replied," Kagome?"

"I'm sorry...."

Inuyasha's eyes widened in surprise but then swirled with confusion. "Sorry? Wha-? What are you sorry for?"

"It's my fault," Kagome replied.

"Kagome," said Inuyasha, confused and a little frightened by the un-Kagome like way she was acting. "You're not making any sense."

"I didn't push Miroku away... I could've, but I didn't...."

Inuyasha's eyes widened as that thought registered. Did she... Did she WANT Miroku to kiss her?

"I'm sorry. I don't know why. I just.... I just froze. I knew he'd been acting strangely but... I didn't think he'd do that.... It wasn't because I wanted him to..." Inuyasha relaxed. Okay. So she hadn't wanted Miroku to kiss her. But then his eyes widened and he felt a flash of anger. So Miroku had forced himself on her? He frowned. That didn't sound like Miroku...

While Inuyasha was thinking this, Kagome was thinking of a few things of her own. 'You DO know why you froze. You've known it for decades.' Kagome clenched her eyes shut. 'You froze because... when you were young, your childhood was stolen from you... but because of that the young child never left.' How many times had she thought of that after she'd made that realization? The secret she'd held in her heart so long and had tried so desperately to hide. She furrowed her brows as she recalled the two most recent times that the young child had returned. Once in the clearing outside Miroku's village and the other in this very clearing after Sesshoumaru had tried to....

She shook her head of the thought. That didn't matter. What mattered was the fact that this side of her had been coming out more times after she'd met Inuyasha, than in all the years she'd been alone put together. She frowned. Why was it coming out now of all times? Her brows furrowed. What was happening to her? She brushed the thought aside as she turned her thoughts back to that other side of her. Why had that side of her, that young child, decided to come out when Miroku had come on to her? Why? But it didn't matter. It was too late. Because of that fact, Miroku now knew her secret.... She frowned sadly. If only she'd tried harder. If only she'd pushed Miroku away. If only... But it didn't matter. It was all her fault... It's always the half breed's fault, isn't it?

"It's not your fault, Kagome..."

Kagome's eyes snapped open as she sucked in a harsh breath of air in shock.

"And even if it were your fault, which it isn't... I forgive you."

Kagome's eyes widened. Had he just....?

Inuyasha wrapped his arms tighter around her. "I'm not sure what's going on with Miroku. Something doesn't feel right about this. But I do know that it's not and never was your fault, do you understand?"

Kagome merely nodded, unable to speak.

Inuyasha smiled. "Good." Then, he released his hold on her, turning his gaze over the side of the branch to the ground below. "Now, I think we should probably get down from this tree, ne?" But then, he flitted his gaze to hers, a teasing glint in his eyes. "That is, if you think you can."

The female half demon blinked in surprise, but then felt a smirk creep across her face. "Oh please. If anyone wouldn't be able to do it, it'd be yo-" She suddenly paused as a thought struck her. "Wait a minute!" She narrowed her eyes at him. "How did you get up here in the first place? ...You didn't climb to all the way up here, did you?"

The boy of the future whistled as he looked upwards innocently. Kagome glared at him with a growl. "You idiot! Do you know how high up we are?! You humans are so clumsy, it's a wonder you didn't slip and fall! And knowing how fragile you humans are, you would've broken you neck! You could've been killed if you'd slipped even once! Do you know how stupid that was?!..."

Inuyasha just smiled as she continued on with her rant. Now there was the old Kagome. He supposed he'd rather have her yelling and lecturing him on how stupid he was rather than the frightened, pained Kagome any day. It struck him how strange that thought was. Preferring to have her yelling at him and telling him how stupid he was... He chuckled.

Kagome stopped mid-rant and glared at him. "And just what is so funny?"

Inuyasha chuckled some more as he shook his head before turning to her with a smile. "Nothing. Just thinking that it's nice to have the old Kagome back."

The black haired hanyou blinked in surprise. "Wha-?"

Inuyasha shook his head with a smile. "Don't worry about it, Kagome." He held out a hand. "Ready to get down from the tree, now?"

Kagome stared at the hand before smirking. "How about I show you the fast way to get down a tree?"

The white haired boy blinked in surprise as Kagome crouched down beside him and grabbed his arm. She turned her head to smirk at him. "Get ready."

Inuyasha's eyes widened as Kagome leapt off the branch, pulling him with her. He watched as Kagome leapt from branch to branch on her way down, doing it so quickly that the world seemed a blur. Before he knew it, they were on the ground and Kagome was releasing his arm. Inuyasha blinked in surprise, turning his gaze up to where they had been sitting only moments before. He stared a few moments before a grin split his face, turning his gaze back to Kagome. "Okay. Now THAT was cool." He turned his gaze back up to the branches with a sigh. "It's things like that, that make me think of how cool it'd be to be a half demon."

Kagome stared in surprise at Inuyasha. Cool to be a half demon? That was a new one. She furrowed her brows, turning her gaze to the side, confused. No one wanted to be a half demon and those who were half demons cursed themselves for it. So, why....?

Her thoughts were suddenly cut off as she heard a thud and a low groan from Inuyasha. She snapped her gaze to where he'd been only moments before only to find him gone. Her eyes widened in shock. What? But- But... Where was Inuyasha? What happened?

She sniffed the air, trying to catch a scent and frowned in confusion. She caught a scent but...

The female half demon fell down on all fours, sniffing where Inuyasha had been standing. 'It smells similar to Narakuna's scent but...' She frowned again. '... it smells like the scent of wind....'

-------------------------

Miroku trudged through the village, his face still holding little emotion but he could feel the barrier that held back his emotions stretching thinner. Although he didn't show it, he was growing anxious. Though the anxiety wasn't actually felt because of the barrier, he was still able to acknowledge its existence. But the reason for this emotion was that it wouldn't be long before he reached the village outskirts and he still hadn't seen hide nor hair of Sango and Kirara. He needed to confront them before he returned to Narakuna. He needed to confess his traitorous deed. And he needed to receive the punishment he deserved.

When he finally did reach the outskirts, he allowed one more look around. He acknowledged the presence of the disappointment he'd feel later, when he still found no sign of them. A soft sigh escaped his lips as he turned around to leave when twin cries met his ears, stopping him in his tracks.

"Miroku!" "Miroku!"

He heard two pairs of feet rush up behind him and come to a halt.

"Hello Miroku!" He heard that to be the cheerful voice of Sango.

"Hey Miroku! Where are you going?" He heard the high pitched voice of Kirara question him.

He knew now was the time for him to finally turn around and confess his deeds but...... he suddenly found himself frozen in place. Why couldn't he move?

"Miroku, what's wrong?" he heard Kirara ask in a confused tone.

"Miroku?" he heard Sango question, confused as well.

It seemed that was what it took to unfreeze him as he slowly turned around to face them.

Two pairs of eyes widened at the sight of Miroku's emotionless expression as the slayer took in their expressions of complete and utter confusion.

"Miroku?" the young cat demon said uncertainly.

The taijiya studied them for a few moments and came to the obvious conclusion that they did not yet know of what he'd done. He was surprised to realize that a small part of him had been hoping that they'd already been told and that he wouldn't have to take on the task of telling them himself. He pushed that small part to the side and steeled his resolve. Now was the moment of confession and after would come the moment of punishment.

"Mi..ro..ku?..." said Sango slowly and hesitantly. "Is... everything alright?"

Miroku moved his lips into a smile but no emotion was behind it. "Alright? I suppose you don't know what I've done if you're asking if everything's alright."

Kirara's eyes widened. "Wha-What do you mean? What are you talking about?"

He turned his gaze down to Kirara and the young cat demon shifted uncomfortably under the emotionless stare.

When he didn't answer, Kirara gathered up her courage and repeated," What do you mean?"

"Miroku?" Sango questioned.

Miroku did not speak as he allowed his gaze to drift back and forth between the two of them. What was he waiting for? Why was he delaying what must be done?

At that thought, he steeled his resolve once more and spoke. "You speak the name of a traitor. I have done something gifting me of that title. I've done something with a dark motive in mind." An emotionless smile crossed his lips. "Wouldn't you like to know what I've done?"

Sango stared with wide eyes. "Wha-?"

"Wha-What've you done?" Kirara said, narrowing her eyes.

Miroku stared at them with that emotionless smile.

"Answer me!" Kirara barked. A bad feeling was growing inside her and she was starting to feel frightened.

"I have done a terrible thing for a terrible reason," Miroku whispered.

"Well... What is it already?!" The young cat demon growled, more from fear than anger.

There was one long ominous pause before Miroku finally spoke.

"I kissed Kagome... and made sure Inuyasha was watching."

Kirara and Sango's eyes widened. Whatever they'd been expecting, this wasn't it.

"What?" Kirara whispered, staring at Miroku in shock.

"But...why?" Sango questioned, equally shocked.

"Why?" Miroku said, an emotionless smirk on his face. "For one purpose and for one dark purpose only... to tear this group apart in the cruelest way."

Perhaps what he spoke of was not completely true.... but it was the closest he could get to his confession without spilling Narakuna's whole plan. He was toeing the line as it was.

Kirara recoiled backwards as if he'd hit her. This... This wasn't right! Who was this person? Where was the Miroku who'd helped relieve her of her silly crush? Where was the Miroku who'd helped her decide the goal to helping Inuyasha with Kagome? Where was the Miroku who'd smiled and been so loyal to his friends? She looked up at Miroku, feeling betrayed as tears stung her eyes. Were they all just lies? Was the person she'd thought she'd known him to be been a lie?

Then, she felt anger grip her as she pushed back her tears. Why'd he do this? Why? Why? To tear them all apart? To... to what? Her anger burned hotter as a thought struck her mind. If... if that was his goal... then he was trying to destroy the closest thing to a family that she had left! She trembled with the force of her anger, hands in tight fists.

"You... You traitor! You liar!" Kirara cried. "You... You always acted so nice... You were just pretending, weren't you?! Answer me!"

She received no answer. She trembled harder as she gritted her teeth, unable to stop the tears pooling in her eyes, as she stared up at him. "You... you... I..."

Kirara shut her mouth, unable to speak further.

Sango wasn't paying attention to Kirara's words as she stared at Miroku. Rather than anger or betrayal, she felt confusion. Miroku?.... Kiss Kagome?.... Why would he want to tear their group apart? Why would he wish such a thing? She knew he wasn't evil. She could sense no dark aura about him. So why?... She frowned, brows furrowed, as she narrowed her eyes at the slayer. Something didn't feel right about this. It didn't feel right at all... And somehow, she felt that it was connected with the night of Miroku's disappearance.

'What happened that night, Miroku? What?' she thought, not for the first time.

Miroku noticed the look on Sango's face. Neither betrayal or anger was seen. Only confusion and... was that suspicion?

'No...Oh no!,' the slayer thought. 'Sango suspects! This isn't good! This isn't good!'

For the first time since the mask had been placed, an emotion crossed Miroku's face..... panic.

Sango caught the emotion and narrowed his eyes. Okay. She was getting very suspicious by now.

"I don't believe you," Sango finally spoke.

Kirara turned a wide eyed gaze up to the female monk. What was she talking about? Miroku just confessed himself. Why would he lie? She paused. But then again... why would he tell?

The young cat demon turned her gaze up to the slayer and found instead of the emotionless mask, panic was written on his face. Her scarlet eyes widened. What was going on? Did this mean.... that Miroku had lied about what he'd said?

Kirara had no more time for thought as Miroku suddenly took off.

Sango's eyes widened. She hadn't been expecting that but immediately took off after him with a cry. "Miroku! Wait!"

"Hey!" Kirara cried out as she followed. "Wait for me!"

Sango didn't pay attention to Kirara, keeping her eyes trained forward on the black and purple clothed taijiya as she followed. She didn't notice that they'd left the village and were headed towards the forest as she struggled to keep up with the slayer disappearing farther and farther ahead of her. Sango had liked to grace herself with the thought that her training as a monk had made her a lot faster than most people, but it was obvious that Miroku was faster still from his own training. It wasn't long before she lost him in the dark greenery of the trees, and she finally came to a halt, as she bent over, panting.

"Sango!" she heard Kirara cry out, coming up beside her.

Sango glanced up at the young cat demon, feeling a little envious that Kirara's demon blood had made it so she wasn't quite as tired, though Sango could hear her breathing harder. Perhaps if she'd had demon blood, she wouldn't have lost sight of Miroku or she might've even caught up with him.

Kirara turned her gaze to the direction Miroku had been heading. "Looks like we lost him."

Sango nodded her agreement, straightening after she'd finally caught her breath.

"Do you... Do you really think he was lying?" Kirara questioned, hesitantly.

The female monk turned her gaze down to the young cat demon and nodded. "I'm almost sure of it and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the night he disappeared."

Kirara's eyes widened in surprised. "You mean, that night at the Inn?"

Sango nodded. "Yes."

"Sango! Kirara!"

Both who's name had been cried, turned their heads to see Kagome land in front of them.

"Kagome!" said Sango in surprise. "What-"

"Inuyasha's been taken!" Kagome interrupted.

"What?!" Kirara cried. "What happened?!"

Sango suddenly was hit with the thought of Miroku's words.

"I kissed Kagome... and made sure Inuyasha was watching."

"Kagome," said Sango, turning to the half demon, determinedly. "Miroku spoke of having kissed you with the intent that Inuyasha saw." Kagome stared at Sango in surprise. "Yes. We know what he did but we don't know all that happened. Kagome, it is important that you tell me everything that you remember about Miroku's behaviour since the night of his disappearance at the Inn and of what happened today, up until Inuyasha was taken."

Kagome furrowed her brows in confusion and paused as if thinking Sango's request over, but she nodded after a few moments before she went on to recount all that happened. All that occured. Everything she could remember since the night Miroku's mysterious behaviour started.

Sango listened through it all. What Miroku did, how he acted, the traitorous kiss, the aftermath, Inuyasha's disappearance, the strange scent, everything.

When Kagome finished, Sango frowned, mulling over Kagome's words. It just... it didn't fit. Miroku had been acting so sad and quiet shortly after his disappearance, then he's all around Kagome, and then he kisses her with the intent that Inuyasha was watching? She furrowed her brows. This didn't feel right.... It didn't make any sense at all...

"It doesn't make any sense," Kirara spoke, unknowingly mirroring Sango's thoughts.

"Well, Inuyasha did say something didn't feel right about Miroku's actions," Kagome said, furrowing her brows. "I didn't really understand what he meant but now...." She trailed off, frowning thoughtfully.

"I agree. This doesn't fit at all," said Sango, but then she pounded a fist into her hand, a determined look in her eyes. "Which is why we're going to get to the bottom of this."

"What?" Kagome snapped from her thoughts, glaring at the female monk. "But what about Inuyasha? We still don't even know who took him!"

"No worries," Sango replied. "I think that Inuyasha's disappearance and our mystery with Miroku may not be too distantly connected to each other. I mean, think about it. Don't you think it's strange that Inuyasha would be taken the same day that Miroku decides to "betray" us?"

Kagome frowned. "Well... it could just be a coincidence, couldn't it?"

Sango shook her head. "I don't think so. I think this is just a bit too big to be a coincidence."

"So... what are we gonna do then?" Kirara questioned.

"Follow Miroku, of course," the female monk replied. "Maybe we'll find something that will help us figure this out and perhaps we'll even find out who took Inuyasha in the process."

"But we don't know where Miroku went," the cat demon pointed out.

"That, is where Kagome will come in," said Sango, turning to the female half demon. "Do you think you could track Miroku, Kagome?"

Kagome suddenly shifted uncomfortably. "Well... I would. Except for just one little problem...."

"What is it?" asked Sango, confused.

"Well..." Kagome said. "Tonight is not a very good night for me and because of that my senses aren't exactly... in top shape."

"What do you-" Kirara paused, eyes wide. "Oh! Tonight's-"

"A half moon," Sango groaned. "This isn't good."

"Hmph," Kagome replied, frowning. "You're telling me. You're not the one who's going to become weak and useless tonight."

Sango sighed. "Why do your senses have to weaken throughout the day?...."

"Why don't you tell me?" the female half demon said, irratably. "I've been asking that question for decades now."

The female monk shook her head, releasing another sigh. "Well... I suppose nothing can be done about it. I guess we'll just keep walking in the direction that Miroku was headed. Maybe we'll find him by chance?"

Kagome groaned as she leaned her head backwards. "That's it. We're doomed."

"Hey!" Kirara protested. "I've got a nose, too, you know!"

Sango brightened at that. "That's right! Kirara can track down Miroku!"

Kagome scoffed. "Are you kidding me? She may be a demon but a cat's nose isn't nearly as good as a dog's and on top of that, she's just a kid so her senses aren't even fully developed yet. So all in all, she's got a weak nose compared to mine."

Kirara glared at her. "My nose isn't that weak! It's still strong enough that I can track down a scent!"

"Mm-hm," the black haired hanyou replied. "Whatever."

"So you can track down Miroku's scent?" Sango asked.

The young cat demon replied with a nod of her head as she sniffed the air. It took a few moments but she eventually caught on to Miroku's scent. So, with Kirara in lead, they all followed Miroku, hoping that they might finally recieve some answers...
Sign up to rate and review this story