Categories > Games > Sonic the Hedgehog > 02 - Illness

Chapter 3

by The__Outcasts 1 review

...But by then it's probably too late... So you have to make up for lost time...

Category: Sonic the Hedgehog - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Dr. Robotnik,Miles ,Sonic - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-12-23 - Updated: 2008-01-17 - 10540 words

0Unrated
It was morning again. Once again Sonic had slept in.

As soon as Sonic opened his eyes the sickly feeling hit him like a ton of bricks. He wished that he hadn't woken up at all.

Struggling to swallow Sonic pushed himself into a sitting position, regretting the action. Nausea pulsed over him violently, again making it hard to swallow. Sonic's head swam in a distorted sea of colours, and it felt so hot, almost like fire.

Forcing his arm to move Sonic placed his hand against his burning forehead, feeling the heat. Further examination revealed that the fever had spread to his cheeks and close to his neck. But the chills he was experiencing was agonising; even his body was trembling in response to the cold. Then all at once it was hot again.

Sonic pushed the blankets away and drew his knees to his chest, noting how much his joints hurt from the movement. It was official: something terrible was wrong with him.

Just as that thought surfaced in Sonic's fevered mind a tiny knock sounded at his door. But without waiting for a response from the ill hedgehog the door opened, and a second later Tails' head poked in.

"Sonic, it's eleven. The meetin' is gonna be starting soon," Tails informed as he searched around the room for Sonic. His eyes finally found him, and Sonic could see them widen, then take a look of heavy concern.

"Are you okay? You look awful," Tails exclaimed, then padded up to Sonic cautiously. Groaning, Sonic pressed his head against his knees. He felt light-headed now.

"No, I feel really cruddy, bro," he said, not lifting his head. He heard Tails as he shifted from one foot to the other in a nervous rhythm.

"Do you want me to call Aunt Sally, or Doctor Quack?" he questioned anxiously, unable to keep still. Sonic flattened his ears.

"Nah... Don't worry about it bro," he requested flatly, then drew in a deep breath as nausea set in again. Sonic swallowed dryly, struggling not to throw up.

Tails began to make his way to the door hesitantly, all the while keeping his eyes on Sonic. "Okay, Sonic. So will you still be coming to the meeting?" he asked. This time Sonic simply nodded.

"Will you be all right, though?"

Sonic doubted it, but still told Tails as clearly as he could that he would be. The fox kit waited a moment longer before disappearing behind Sonic's door, once again leaving Sonic by himself. The thought of being alone like this made Sonic feel worse. Maybe it would be a good idea to visit the doctor, he thought to himself. But later, perhaps after the meeting if he could still stand.

After about five minutes Sonic slowly pushed himself to the edge of his bed and donned his sneakers, then after a moment of uncertainty stood up. The blood instantly rushed to Sonic's head, making him feel even woozier than before.

Stumbling, Sonic went to his door and walked out, heading to the courtyard. The usual noise of the village was deafening to Sonic's sensitive ears, and the sun's light was almost blinding, adding to the massive headache that throbbed loudly behind his eyes. But still Sonic continued to walk, and with each step the more light-headed he felt, until it got to the point where it seemed the top of his head had gone numb.

Sonic stopped walking and held his head as a hot sensation crawled up along his spine and neck. He lowered his head, holding it in his hands as it felt like it was going to either fall off his neck or explode, and began drawing in deep breathes. Sonic could feel sweat trickling down from his forehead and back, and somehow the light breeze that blew through the village felt ice cold. A shiver pulsed through his body.

Eventually the feeling passed enough for Sonic to notice everything around him return into focus. He still felt light-headed, but at least he could somewhat walk now. Sonic wiped the sweat off his forehead and swallowed, trying to ignore the pain that stabbed through his joints as he made his way to the War Room.

"These are the basic systematics of the construction site. The area being worked on is around fifty to sixty square meters, and it looks like the building itself is going to measure about three or four stories in height," Sally explained to the Freedom Fighters. They were all sitting around a large oak table, which was rough around the edges, and listening intently to what their leader was reporting. Behind Sally was a large shimmering hologram of the construction site she and Sonic had found two days before, alongside its systematics. This Sally kept referring to, which she was doing now in her brief pause.

"The building itself is less than a quarter completed, so now would be a good time to strike the area and disable the construction work, if only to buy ourselves more time so Robotnik will miss his deadline for the Doomsday Project to be completed," she continued eventually, facing the group. "I would like everyone to be on this mission so we have more attack power behind us."

"Including zee 'edge'og, moi Princess?" Antoine spoke up, glaring at the empty seat opposite him. Sally too glanced at the empty seat, more so with concern than anger like the coyote was.

"Where is Sonic? I sent Tails to call him," Sally murmured. At that point the door opened slowly and Sonic walked into the War Room. He pulled out a chair from under the table and sat down heavily, resting his elbows on the table and placing his head in his hands. Everyone at the table was surprised to see how pale and unwell the hedgehog appeared, even Antoine.

"Sugah-hog, what's th' mattah?" Bunnie exclaimed, voicing the others' thoughts. For a moment Sonic didn't reply, but jumped when Sally lightly touched his shoulder. Dazed, he glanced around at the group.

"Sorry, was someone talking to me?" he questioned as he rubbed at his eyes. They were glazed over and seemed distant.


Sally reached over and touched Sonic's cheek. "Sonic, you're burning up. Why aren't you resting?" she demanded, gaping at Sonic with horrified concern. Sonic gave a faint shrug and closed his eyes in obvious exhaustion.

"You told me there was going to be a mission today, so here I am," he explained in a flat, almost dead voice. After he had said that Sonic gave a faint sigh and lowered his head, rubbing at his temples. "Can I have some water, please?"

Passing down the side of the table a quiet murmur, a glass was poured and passed back to the ailing hedgehog. Upon receiving it Sonic drained the glass quickly, as if he hadn't drank for days, and gave a hoarse cough.

"Maybe it would be better if you went home, Sonic," Rotor suggested, the recommendation agreed to by four other voices of concerned friends. Sonic regarded the Freedom Fighters with his enervated eyes, then shook his head.

"You guys are gonna need help. I'm fine, don't worry about it," he insisted. Sally looked back at the others, seeing her concern reflected in their faces. There was no way she could let Sonic go on a mission like this. But the hedgehog was right; they needed Sonic to distract the SWATbots.

"Are you sure you'll be all right if you come, Sonic?" Sally questioned, trying to ignore the shocked expressions of the Freedom Fighters.

"As long as I have water I'll be fine," Sonic stated. He sounded more determined now, and for a moment Sally believed that he was telling the truth.

For a moment.

"Okay, but go rest for now. We'll call you about half an hour before it's time to go so you'll be able to get ready, and I'll brief you then," Sally offered. Sonic nodded and stood, trying not to sway.

"Cool, but you better call me. Or else I'll come after the lot of ya," he commented, grinning slightly. With that said he turned and made his way out of the War Room, hoping that he didn't look too weak as he did so.

"Sally-girl, are y'all crazah?" Bunnie exclaimed once Sonic was out of earshot. "Couldn't ya see how sick Sugah-hog was?"

Sally sighed and slumped forward in her chair, pressing her forehead into her hands. "I could. But I also trust Sonic's judgement," she explained.

"But how can you be sure he will be all right? If something does go wrong--" Rotor's voice trailed off when he saw that Sally was glaring at him.

"Nothing will go wrong. If Sonic's says he'll be all right then I trust him. And for this mission we need his help, or else we won't be able to get another shot at this."

About half an hour later, when all the Freedom Fighters except Sally had left the War Room to get ready for that night's mission, Sally sat staring at the tabletop, wondering if she was making the right choice.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonic kept watch from his designated area, a set of binoculars beside him alongside his comm. link-up, the channel open and ready for Sally's signal. For once in his life he wished he wasn't here on this mission, but back home doing nothing.

Another twang of pain throbbed through the hedgehog's head, shooting behind his eyes and distorting his vision. Gritting his teeth Sonic massaged at his temples, wishing that he had brought along some aspirin. But then he remembered that he took about four before leaving Knothole, fresh from a new packet he had bought that morning after Sally had sent him home to rest. Melancholically Sonic thought back to his rubbish bin in his hut, full of empty aspirin boxes.

With a sigh Sonic unslung his backpack and pulled out a tall clear bottle, unscrewed the lid and went to take a drink. In mid-motion he spotted just how much was left in the bottle; about less than a third left. Had he drank all that already? The bottle held about three litres.

Nevertheless Sonic took a long gulp from the contents, trying not to think about how out-of-control his thirst was all of a sudden. It was a good thing he had brought along two bottles, even though they did a number on his already aching shoulders.

"Sonic, are you there?" Sally's voice questioned through his comm. link-up. Sonic swallowed his mouthful of water, almost gagging on it, and picked up his comm.

"I'm here," he answered, clearing his throat carefully. The hastened drink made him feel nauseous again.

"We're in position here, there's a small group of SWATbots west of your position. Try to lead them to the south about three miles, that should cause more of a distraction to the other patrolling SWATbots in the area. Think you can handle that?" Sally questioned.

"'course I can, Sal. No problemo," Sonic replied, trying to sound more confident than he felt. There was a delayed pause from Sally.

"Okay, good luck, Sonic. And be extra careful," she said eventually, before signing off.

Sonic clipped the comm. link to the side of his backpack, took a quick swig from his water, then made his way to where Sally had instructed him to go.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sally clicked off her comm. link and slipped it into her backpack, sighing quietly to herself. Sonic had insisted on being by himself for this mission, just so he wasn't slowed down by anyone as he did his part of the strategy. Sally had reluctantly agreed, but now she was starting to have doubts.

"Ready to go, Sally?" Rotor questioned from behind the ground squirrel. Sally gazed up at the walrus and nodded slightly.

"Let's get going then," she said with false determination. Rotor placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Sonic will be fine. You know him, you could knock him with a bus and he'll keep walking without missing a beat," he assured, grinning slightly. Sally couldn't help but smirk.

"I know. Now let's get going."


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It could possibly have been the first time Sally would wish she had been right about something.

Sonic had made it to his designated area without incident, and began work on luring what SWATbot squadron that was gathered in the area. Not feeling up to taunting the robots Sonic simply stood in front of the group, swooped down and grabbed a nearby rock, and hurled it with as much strength as he could muster at one of the SWATbots. In his ill state Sonic had missed the SWATbot he was aiming at by at least half a metre, but still irritated by the attempted assault the SWATbots gave chase, laser guns at the ready.

Sonic took off without thinking about where he was going. But after about a minute or so of running the hedgehog began to feel the burdensome effects of the task he was demanding of his body. Sonic began panting slightly as sweat beaded over his forehead and back, soaking at his fine fur. His breath felt hot in his throat as his eyes watered, and all his muscles began screaming for him to stop. Throughout the mental battle Sonic just barely acknowledged the SWATbots firing at him.

Soon Sonic was at the south-end of Robotropolis, where Sally had told him to take the SWATbots to. He reached back to grab his comm. link, only to miss a stray laser. The laser hit his backpack, about half a millimetre away from him comm. link. But Sonic had thought that the shot rang true, so he left the comm. link in its place and feeling panic rising within him. When he looked back at the group of SWATbots Sonic realised with shock that more SWATbots had started chasing him with the original group.

"Aw, crap," he exclaimed, and began to pick up speed. This proved to be a mistake as sharp hot pain began stabbing its way through Sonic's body. He bit his lip to stop himself from crying out and slowed down a notch, unaware that he was swivelling violently from side to side as he ran. The extra steps he had to take from doing this caused the SWATbots to catch up with the hedgehog.

As the SWATbots drew closer Sonic felt his strength fading fast, like someone had weighed him down with lead bricks. He shot a glance over his shoulder, his heart picking up more pace than his steps when he realised that the SWATbots were only about three metres away from him. Sonic gritted his teeth and flattened his ears, forcing himself to keep running despite his body's painful protests. Eventually he made some distance between himself and the approaching robots, then had managed to lose them. But he kept on running, just in case.

He soon felt himself slowing down until he could barely take another step. Sonic let out a loud gasp of relief and fell to his knees, trying to catch his breath. His chest felt like someone had shoved a vice around his lungs and tightened it; it was difficult to breathe properly. It didn't help that his throat felt like a desert, or that his heart was hammering against his ribs. He reached for his backpack, with the intention of grabbing his second drink bottle.

Then all at once he felt hot. Sonic sat up straight and held his head, swaying as a flash of nausea washed over him. Another wave came, and for a moment Sonic lost feeling in his body. Everything went numb, and blackness began taking over his vision as it blurred. This was what happened before, but this time it seemed much worse.

Finally Sonic's body shuddered with exhaustion, both from the run and fighting off the illness, and he released a tense sigh. Sonic was unconscious before he impacted with the cold ground. The SWATbots that were chasing him rounded the corner just as the hedgehog hit the ground.

"Good work everyone. Head back to the meeting place now, we're done on our side," Sally's voice congratulated over Sonic's communication link-up. The channel was still open, either ignored or unheard by the SWATbots as one picked up Sonic by the scruff of his neck.

Elsewhere Bunnie had flicked off her own comm. link after hearing Sally's praise, smiling to herself. "Guess Ah gotta hand it ta Sally-girl. She knows wha' she's doin'," she commented to herself as she began making her way down the street. "An' Sugah-hog was right as well, Ah bettah apologise ta 'em when we meet up."

When she made it to a large intersection near the south of Robotropolis Bunnie saw a pair of SWATbots standing there. Bunnie was able to duck behind a dumpster before she was spotted, but after about a minute of so she realised that the SWATbots were not coming towards her at all.

The cyborg rabbit peered around the dumpster, noticing that the SWATbots had not even more from their spot she had seen them in. But she was able to see that one of the SWATbots was carrying something in its metal fist. Bunnie squinted, then felt her heart skip a beat.

"Sugah-hog," she cried, and ran over to the SWATbots. Without giving the metal beings a chance to react to her sudden appearance, Bunnie launched herself into the air and slammed her robotic feet into the chest of the first SWATbot, felling it instantly. The second SWATbot she slammed her fist into its leg, crippling it and causing it to fall as well. When it fell the SWATbot released Sonic from its grip, and Sonic landed roughly on the ground, still unconscious.

Not wanting to cause any further confrontation, Bunnie ran over to the hedgehog and tossed his limp body over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes, then made a run for it. Luckily her surprise attack had caused enough damage to the robots so that they couldn't follow, so Bunnie was able to find a safe place to hide so she could tend to Sonic.

"Sonic, Sonic, wake up already," Bunnie began calling once she had found a place. She had checked Sonic's body for any blows to the head or any laser wounds, but in the end she had discovered to her horror that the hedgehog was burning up, and even in his unconscious state was having difficulty breathing.

Finally, after about five minutes Bunnie grabbed her comm. link and activated it. "Sally-girl, are y'all there?" she questioned, voice trembling as much as her hand was.

"I'm here, Bunnie. Is everything all right?" Sally's voice responded almost instantly. Bunnie took a breath before speaking again.

"Ah'm fine, but... it's Sonic."

There was a pause, then: "Where are you, we'll be right there."


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was floating so effortlessly, it was bliss.

The surroundings weren't, as they were nothing more than a solid black. But that didn't seem to bewilder the hedgehog and he continued to float on his back in the endless sea. There was no pain here, no sound, no feeling. The ultimate escape from his illness.

Sonic didn't want to leave.

As he laid his head back and allowed himself to stray, Sonic was suddenly aware of an awful, horrible smell that was so close to his nose it was suffocating. He snorted sharply and flared his arms out in an attempt to be rid of the smell, but then an overwhelming sensation of pain consumed his body, and a second later the blackness surrounding him began to dissolve.

A painful ringing was apparent in his ears as he came to finally, somehow managing to break through the darkness. Feeling began to return to Sonic's body, bringing the sensation of total weakness. Then all at once another feeling came over him.

"Look out," a voice warned, and a second later Sonic was hunched over, vomiting into a well-placed bucket nearby. The ordeal lasted for an eternity for Sonic, but in reality it was only about a minute, and when it was finally over all that was left was a burning numbness in his throat and mouth. As dizziness pulsed through him Sonic laid perfectly still, coughing dryly and wishing that someone would put him out of his misery and shoot him.

"It's about time you came to, Sonic. We were starting to get worried," the same voice from earlier said, coming from somewhere to Sonic's left, yet sounding so far away. The ringing in his ears began to die down a little.

Sonic tilted his head towards the voice as he wiped at his mouth, noting that his vision was slowly starting to return. Yet for some reason he couldn't bring himself to speak. He went to sit up, but once again a heavy wave of nausea washed over him and he was forced to lie down once more.

"Do you know where you are?" the voice questioned sternly. Sonic slowly rocked his head from side to side, watching the darkness dissolve to nothing. Finally Sonic realised that the voice that was addressing him was coming from a short yellow duck wearing a doctor's uniform.

"Doctor Quack?" Sonic mumbled feebly, swallowing dryly in an attempt to not throw up again. When he swallowed his throat burned.

"Yes, it's me. But that's not what I was asking you, Sonic. Do you know where you are?" Doctor Quack commented, cocking his head behind himself to refer to their surroundings. Sonic looked again, taking in the sterilised structure and medical supplies that consumed most of the shelves' space. The hedgehog looked down to himself, seeing that he was lying in a bed covered in perfectly white sheets, so white they where almost blinding, especially to his sensitive eyes.

"Your medical hut?" Sonic finally answered, bring a hand to his head. He could feel the heat of his fever right though his glove, meaning that it had increased over time.

"Close, very close. More like the General Practice at the village hospital. Whatever is wrong with you needed more medical attention than I could offer in my centre alone," Doctor Quack clarified as he reached over to an odd looking device that sat on the side-table. After pressing a tiny button on the device's side Doctor Quack gently inserted into Sonic's ear, eyes fixated onto a small screen at the device's cradle.

"What are you doing, doc?" Sonic yelped, pulling away. The duck scowled and pressed the button again, then reinserted the instrument into Sonic's ear.

"I'm just taking your temperature, now hold still," he informed, to which Sonic obeyed.

"How did I get here?" Sonic questioned eventually. Doctor Quack shot a quick glance at the hedgehog before returning it to the tiny screen. "The Freedom Fighters brought you here after you had fainted half an hour ago," he replied, then pulled out the device from Sonic's ear. "Your temperature is very high, I'm surprised you're still functioning, to be honest."

"Fainted? I fainted?" Sonic exclaimed in disbelief. Now he was scared. And now Sally was going to kill him for letting whatever the heck was wrong with him to get this far. He lay back into the pile of pillows, feeling very fatigued. At least his stomach was starting to settle somewhat.

"Yes, I believe that is what I said. And all your friends are waiting anxiously outside as we speak," Doctor Quack said. Sonic cast a weary glance at the closed door, as if he was able to see his friends through it.

"Well, it was a good thing you threw up. I needed something for examination, though I would have preferred a blood sample," Doctor Quack commented as he pushed the bucket to the side with his foot. From where Sonic was he could still smell the sick, which stimulated a sea-sickly feeling in his stomach again.

"So how long have you've been sick for, then?" Doctor Quack questioned eventually.

"For about three days, I guess," Sonic replied shortly. Suddenly he wasn't in the mood to talk. He just wanted to sleep away his dizziness.

"Can you tell me your symptoms?"

Sonic thought about it for a moment. In the end he realised that there were a few. "Headaches, mainly. Dizzy, some aches in my shoulders. Feel really nauseous throughout the day, I haven't eaten for a while."

"How long is a while?" Doctor Quack interrupted.

"Three days." Doctor Quack nodded. "Anything else?"

"This fever, I had that since last night. And I fall asleep a lot without realising it," Sonic added.

"No chills?"

Sonic shook his head. "Had a few of those."

"Have you've vomited at all before now?"

"Do we really have to be reminded about that?" Sonic snapped, then quickly checked his temper. "No, I haven't. Like I said, I've only felt nauseous for most of the time."

Doctor Quack hummed in acknowledgement as he pressed his fingertips against the sides of Sonic's throat, digging them in slightly. "Sounds like the Flu to me, but it shouldn't be this bad," he commented, then picked up the bucket that contained Sonic's sick.

"What are going to do with that?" Sonic asked.

"Need some form of sample from you, so I'm sending this down to Pathology. I'll be right back," the duck responded.

Sally watched as Doctor Quack walked out of the examining room, the rim of the bucket gripped firmly in his hand. She was about to call out to him when she saw the doctor call over a nurse and handed her the bucket. They exchanged a few words between themselves, the nurse looking a touch disgusted, before the nurse departed down the corridor.

"Wha' do y'all think is goin' on, Sally-girl?" Bunnie questioned. She was sitting with Sally in the corridor outside the examining room, giving moral support to the anxious Princess. The others were sent to their homes, with the assurance that they would be informed about the hedgehog's condition as soon as they found out about it. Sally felt that it wouldn't be a good idea for all of them to be flooding the corridor and disturbing both Sonic and Doctor Quack.

"I don't know," Sally answered idly, still keeping her eyes on the yellow duck. He was now walking down a corridor away from the two Mobians, following the nurse. Sally sat back onto her chair and leaned back, releasing a heavy sigh.

"What on Mobius could be wrong with Sonic? He's never been this sick before," she queried with concern. Bunnie simply shook her head.

"Ah wouldn't have a clue, but it shure is a lot worse th'n th' Flu by th' look of things. Doctor Quack will figure it out fer Sugah-hog," she assured, then peered through the panel-glass window of the door and lamented quietly. "Poor guy, he must be feelin' horrible right about now."

Sally stood and too peered through the panel-glass. Sonic was now curled up in a tight ball on the examining bed, but because his back was turned to them they couldn't see his face, let alone any expression to confirm his feelings. Sally's heart went out to the ailing hedgehog.

"Poor guy," she repeated quietly.

It was an hour later when Doctor Quack returned, a single printout held in his hand and a bewildered expression on his face. By now almost over the edge with anxiety, both Sally and Bunnie approached the duck.

"Well?" Sally said first. Doctor Quack ran his fingers through his forelock of feathers and sighed.

"Well, there seems to be some sort of chemical in Sonic's system, but I couldn't begin to tell you what type. Even the computers couldn't identify it without solid accuracy. But it does explain why Sonic is this sick," he reported.

"But he's gonna be all right, right?" Bunnie asked.

"He should be, but I don't think it would be a good idea if Sonic fell asleep again, though," the doctor stated, which confused both Sally and Bunnie.

"Why would you say that?" Sally asked.

"Well, from what Sonic has been telling me, it seems that the more he sleeps the worse he becomes. I think that it is because the chemical has the chance to settle in his bloodstream while he's sleeping, then by the time he wakes up the chemical has already done its damage. Plus because of Sonic's recent mutation his DNA is still able to absorb some genetic information, including any chemicals that have entered his system," Doctor Quack explained seriously.

"And that means that the chemical is now permanently in his DNA?" Sally added, to which Doctor Quack nodded.

"Can this chemical kill Sonic?" Sally was surprised that she could bring herself to ask that question.

"Yes, it can." Sally was dreading that answer, and it seemed so was Bunnie. The rabbit's eyes were wide with fear and shock; she looked like she was going to cry. Sally had to admit, she felt like doing so as well.

"But we can stop that from happening, although there is no way we can get rid of the new information," Doctor Quack informed. "I'll run a few more tests, then I think I can conjure a sort of counter-agent to combat the chemical, just enough so that it's not fatal to Sonic."

"And how long does Sugah-hog hafta stay awake fer, Doc?" Bunnie asked. Doctor Quack referred to his watch, gaining a curious glance from the cyborg rabbit. "I'd say twenty-four hours should be enough. It'll give me more time to perfect the counter-agent and to see the effects of it in full. Plus it should give Sonic enough time to get over the symptoms of this Sleeping Sickness," he concluded.

"Sleeping Sickness--" Sally repeated. That actually described the illness fairly well.

Doctor Quack opened the door to the Examination Room and allowed Sally and Bunnie to enter. "I'll explain everything to Sonic, but I think it'll be a good idea if you both were in the room while I did." Both Bunnie and Sally agreed.

Sonic was still curled up when Sally approached him. Hoping that he hadn't fallen asleep already, Sally lightly touched the hedgehog's shoulder. "Sonic, are you awake?" she called quietly. Movement confirmed Sonic's acknowledgment, and a few seconds later he lifted his head to look at Sally.

"Don't yell at me, my head hurts too much," he warned off-handily, before pushing himself into a sort of sitting position. Sally couldn't help but smirk at the hedgehog's dry humour. "I didn't come here to yell at you, I'm going to do that later," she informed, crossing her arms, "But Doctor Quack has something very important to tell you."

"Oh?" Sonic mused, gazing at the doctor. In a few minutes Doctor Quack had explained everything he had told Sally and Bunnie beforehand, stressing the fact as to how fatal the chemical could become if he fell asleep again. Sonic listened wordlessly, the expression on his face unreadable. After Doctor Quack had finished speaking it was a good five minutes before Sonic spoke.

"So how the heck am I suppose to stay awake for so long? I can barely keep my eyes open now."

"Maybe we could all take shifts, and get the other Freedom Fighters to help out as well," Sally suggested.

"No," Sonic exclaimed, startling all three Mobians. There was a brief pause before the hedgehog continued. "I don't want the others to be involved in this, it'll be too much for them."

"And I suppose letting them sit at home worrying is going to help them?" Doctor Quack retorted, glaring at Sonic sternly. Sonic responded by growling menacingly at the yellow duck, his ears flattening against his skull to emphasis his annoyance.

"At least don't involve the others," he said.

At this point Bunnie joined the verbal battle. "Sugah-hog, Ah'm shure th' others would be more th'n happy to give a helpin' hand. Y'all know that we'll help out anyway we could," she reasoned gently, not wanting to frustrate Sonic any further.

"I know, but I don't want them to," Sonic argued.

Doctor Quack sighed and lifted his gaze to the ceiling. "With the others helping there is less chance of you falling asleep and you dying," he said. Instead of retorting Sonic simply glared darkly at the doctor, slit pupils dilating not just with illness but also with inner anger. The duck held the hedgehog's glare, gradually tearing his eyes away from it and suppressing a shudder. The glare was frightening to him.

"So what do we'all do then?" Bunnie questioned, looking at Sally. Throughout the whole verbal battle the ground squirrel hadn't said a word, let alone made any moves to stop the quarrelling Mobians.

"I'll stay here with you, Sonic," Sally answered quietly. The glare disappeared immediately from Sonic's eyes as he turned to stare at Sally.

"Sal, you can't. You have important things to do, what with Doomsday coming up. I'll just waste your time," he insisted after an interval.

"Sonic, this is important. You are important, both to this war and to everyone in this village. Without you no matter what is planned Doomsday will be successful for Robotnik. And there is no way I going to let you die like this. Besides, I can't do anything more on the Doomsday mission until Uncle Chuck sends more information about its production. Plus we were able to disable the construction today with the mission, so it will be a while before Robotnik can do any more," Sally pressed as she sat onto the bed. Like Sonic she too could be stubborn, but in a more civil sense.

Sonic smiled faintly at Sally. "Fine, you can stay, Sal. It's not like I can kick you out of here without being killed by everyone else," he finalised. Bunnie patted Sally on the shoulder.

"Good work, Sally-girl," she congratulated. "And Ah'll come in half way through 'he night to trade places with ya. Is that all right with you, Sugah-hog?"

"Sure, that's sounds like a better idea," Sonic agreed, nodding.

"So it's settled then?" Doctor Quack spoke up. When they all nodded the duck smiled. "Excellent. I'll arrange for a private room so that you won't be disturbed by any of the other patients, Sonic."


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this wasn't going to be as easy as she thought it would be.

Only two hours had past since Sonic's diagnosis of chemical poisoning and already Sally could see that Sonic was showing signs of relapse. At the moment the hedgehog was lying on his side slightly curled up, trying to get over the shock from collapsing. Both had been quiet for most of the two hours; Sally out of respect, Sonic because he didn't really have the strength to speak just yet.

"I can't believe this is happening," Sonic finally muttered, startling Sally out of a trance she wasn't even aware of being in. Slowly Sonic pushed himself into a sitting position, flopping back into the pillows behind him and drawing his knees to his chest. He gazed at Sally miserably.

"At least you're looking better. Some colour has come back in your face," Sally commented, which was true; Sonic didn't appear as sickly as he did before.

Sonic gave a sort of snorted laugh and laid his chin on his knees. "Yeah? Well, I still feel lousy as heck," he said, then stiffly stretched his back and arms. When he tensed his hands his sharp black claws unsheathed, sending a slight chill down Sally's spine. She didn't want to admit it to Sonic but the transformation's results scared her. The claws didn't bother Sally as much as the wild, almost insane look Sonic seemed to had acquired in his eyes. She knew the look wasn't Sonic's own but the wild animal's that now shared his body.

"Maybe this will teach you to ask for help when you really need it, Sonic," Sally pointed out as she tore her eyes away from Sonic's clawed fingertips. Sonic frowned and lowered his head, ears drooping shamefully.

"Yes, Ma'am," he murmured flatly, but there was a mischievous grin plastered across his face. It always occurred to Sally that Sonic had a somewhat twisted sense of humour when the situation called for it.

Sally shook her head. "Such a child," she remarked, to which Sonic simply shrugged.

"I try."

It was a heartbeat later when Sonic questioned: "It creeps you out, doesn't it?"

Sally gaped at Sonic, not fully understanding what he meant. "What do you mean?" she asked, voicing her thoughts. Sonic lifted his hand so the back of it was facing Sally, then tensed his fingers. Instantly his claws unsheathed.

"This, it creeps you out," he clarified. Sally felt her body tense up as yet another chill ran down her spine, but managed to refrain from shuddering. At least she thought she had done so until Sonic gave her a sort of cockeyed expression.

Sonic sighed and retracted his claws, and began to wring his hands into each other fidgety. "Yeah, I know what you mean. I get goose-bumps whenever I look in the mirror," he agreed glumly, looking away. There was a sudden sad look in the hedgehog's golden eyes that made Sally feel terrible, so she lightly placed her hands on top of Sonic's ever moving ones, ceasing their activity. It was only then that Sonic looked back at Sally.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so insensitive," Sally apologised, giving Sonic's hands a slight squeeze. At first it seemed to Sally that Sonic appeared surprised by what she had said, but that didn't seem to last long for Sonic as he smiled faintly.

"Nah, it's cool, Sal. I mean, I know the changes are freaky lookin', but it really doesn't bother me," he reassured. His smile broadened, shadowing his usual jaunt grin, almost like it was for more reassurance. Finally Sally found herself smiling.

"So I guess this means you're not as vain as some Mobians say you are then?" she commented.

"Me? Vain?" Sonic exclaimed, pressing the palm of his hand to his chest and cocking up his eyebrows. "No, not me, never." He then began running his fingers through his quills while looking at the faint reflection in the panel window of the door. Sally shook her head again.

"I spoke too soon, I see."

"Nah, it'll take a miracle to get me back to my handsome self again after all this," Sonic commented. Once again Sally shook her head, making Sonic realise his slip-up.

"I was kidding, really I was."

"Were you? Are you sure about that now?" Sally questioned. She looked over Sonic carefully, suddenly realising just how much over the passed two weeks the mutation had taken effect on the hedgehog. He seemed taller, for one thing, and his body had started taking on the shape of a miniature Overlander, if there was such a thing. Even his quills and tail were longer in length, and his ears seemed wider and longer, with the slightest tufts of fur at their ends. Sonic's eyes looked smaller in a way, but with the slight slant he always had in his eyes emphasised. The only way his eyes appeared cat-like was by their colour and their slit pupils. Whenever Sonic blinked they would widen and narrow quickly, instantly adjusting to the change in light.

"What is it like being a--?" Sally began, then realised that she didn't know just how to address Sonic correctly.

"Mutant? Freak? Sal, you can say it, it doesn't bug me," Sonic assured, looking up at her.

"Well, I wasn't sure if it did bother you. I don't want to offend you, Sonic," Sally pressed, somewhat scowling.

Sonic couldn't help but snicker at her. "I don't get offended that easily, Sal. Besides, you're a friend and when you call me something you don't really mean it," Sonic told her. "At least I'm hoping you don't."

"So what is it like?" Sally asked, shifting her position so that she was more comfortable. Sonic just shrugged, then began pawing at his eyes and stifling a yawn.

"Dunno, really. It felt weird for a while, 'cause everything was so different."

"Different? How so?" Sally questioned. Again Sonic shrugged.

"Well, I can see a lot better than I use to, even though my sight was already good," he explained. "And besides right now I'm actually a lot stronger too, which is pretty cool."

"What else has changed?" Sally asked curiously.

"I always get sudden urges to chase birds and balls of yarn," Sonic mused, scratching the back of his neck as he looked around the room idly.

"Yeah right, Sonic," Sally exclaimed.

"You don't believe me, eh? You'd think I'd be able to resist all that because I'm part Overlander too." Sonic paused, suddenly taking on a thoughtful stance. "But... why was I mixed with Overlander DNA?" he asked eventually. Sally stared at Sonic blankly, wondering about that question herself.

"Well, Robotnik did have intentions of you being on his side once the mutation did complete itself. There could be a chance that he wanted you to be more Overlander-like," she said.

"But why?" Sonic exasperated. "I thought he hated the Overlanders just as much as any Fur." Sally simply shook her head and shrugged.

"I really wish I knew, Sonic. Mixing you with a large feline I understand, but the Overlander factor has me stumped just as much as you are."

Sonic sighed and lowered his head, gnawing at his bottom lip. "But then, to do the gene-splicing experiment on me. What was Robuttnik thinking, honestly?" he muttered quietly. Sally watched Sonic for what felt like ages, feeling her heart sink lower and lower with each second.

"This whole metamorphosis thing is really upsetting you, isn't it?" she ventured quietly.

When Sonic began fidgeting with his hands again she knew her assumption was right.

"What to talk about it?"

Sonic stayed silent still, not moving his eyes away from his hands. "It's just... I feel like I'm not myself any more. Like I've been violated of my whole persona." He lifted his head and swallowed dryly, gathering his thoughts. Sally waited patiently, noticing how sad Sonic was now. Every part of him expressed it.

"And now I don't know what's going to happen to me in the future because of the mutation. Like how I'll look or act, or what would effect me now. It's just too overwhelming now and I hate worrying about it."

After he had said all that Sonic covered his face with his hands, resting his elbows on his knees and falling silent. He didn't notice Sally as she carefully slid herself next to him and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, softly rubbing his back.

"It'll be okay, Sonic," Sally murmured quietly, pressing her cheek against his and tightening her grip. "Uncle Chuck and I are doing everything we can to find out more about gene-splicing so we can help you get through this. Perhaps, if we do find enough information about it, we can find a cure for you as well."

Sonic uncovered his face and dropped his hands to his lap. "A cure?" he questioned. "Would that even be possible?"

"You never know. But this is a new thing for us, so I can't promise you that a cure is definite for the future," Sally sighed.

"How long have you 'nd Uncle Chuck been researching?"

"Almost immediately after we had found out what had happened to you. I had even asked Uncle Chuck to put you through some tests to see exactly how the mutation effected you."

Sonic gaped at the ground squirrel. "You asked Uncle Chuck to do the tests? But I thought--"

"That I didn't know about them?" Sally filled in, smirking slighting. "Doctor Quack actually suggested it, but we needed to take a more scientific approach rather than medical, so I put Uncle Chuck in charge of the task."

Sally pulled away from Sonic and took her place in front of him again, then began thinking about what Sonic had told her now. She never realised how much the mutation was really hurting the hedgehog, and she felt bad for not knowing about it. They were friends, best friends since childhood, and Sally felt that she knew exactly how Sonic worked. But now she realised just how much she didn't know about him, and how close she wanted to be to Sonic.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Both were silent for a long time, lost in their own thoughts.

But the silence did not help with Sonic's condition, as the silent minutes ticked by the overwhelming urge of sleep consumed him, until finally it became to exhausting that he needed to lie down at least.

The change in angle made his eyelids feel heavy, and the more he fought against it the more his eyes began to hurt. When a slight headache began to develop behind his eyes Sonic gave in and closed his eyes, feeling relief almost immediately. Hs whole body relaxed, and all the pain he felt in his joints melted away into a blissful haze. For a brief moment Sonic wondered what Sally had been thinking about in her silence, and recalled the faint look of worry she had on her face the whole time.

"Sonic. Sonic. Wake up, you can't fall asleep now." Sally's voice played around in Sonic's drowsy mind, before it clicked that he had drifted off to sleep.

"I'm up, I'm up..." Sonic sighed, forcing his eyes open and lifting his head. He squinted against the brightness of the room's white walls, before he felt Sally's arm slip under his and around his torso. He felt so drained; he couldn't even sit up straight.

"Come on, sit up for a bit," Sally suggested as she steadied the weary hedgehog. She cupped her hands about Sonic's face and made him face her directly; trying to ignore how limp he appeared. "Do you feel all right?"

At first Sonic didn't register the question, but when he finally did realise what Sally had said he nodded. The sleepiness seemed to disappear, and Sonic became aware of his surroundings again. It felt odd as to how it seemed to appear and disappear so quickly. Sonic shook his head and pawed at his eyes.

"Oh man, that happened way too quick," he exclaimed as he rubbed at his eyes and face. He leaned back on his hand and held his head with his free hand, staring wide-eyed at Sally.

Sally sighed and nodded in agreement. "I know, I didn't even realise you had drifted off either," she admitted.

"I have to admit, I felt like doing that a few times already," Sonic sighed. "What a pain in the tail."

When Sonic looked up at Sally and saw that she had been watching him for who knew how long.

"Something bothering you, Sal?" Sonic asked.

Sally snapped out of her trance and felt her cheeks grow hot with embarrassment under her fur. She shook her head quickly. "No, nothing. Why?" she said, pressing a hand to her cheek to cool it.

"I don't know. You seem worried about something before, and you were staring at me for a bit. I know I'm handsome and all but please," Sonic teased, making Sally smile slightly.

"Well, I'm worried about you, Sonic," Sally fumbled, looking away from Sonic.

"I didn't mean to make you feel bad, Sal. I guess I had a little more than I thought I did to get off my chest," Sonic said. "But I can tell something else is bothering you." Sally's cheeks began burning again.

"Well I... How do you feel now, Sonic?" Sally asked, changing the subject. Sonic shrugged.

"I feel okay I guess," he said simply. Sally wasn't convinced. Sonic appeared sicker now after his first relapse. In fact, ever since he talked about how the mutation was really affecting him he seemed to be sicklier looking.

"Are you sure, you'd tell me if you weren't, right?" Sally said.

"Sal, I'm fine," Sonic repeated tightly.

"That's what you said last time, and now--" Sally felt her voice die in he throat when she saw Sonic glaring at her. His ears were folded back against his skull and his slit pupils were dilated. Sally could also see a sliver of one of Sonic's sharper teeth through his lips.

"That's one of your worse problems, Sally. You nag me too much," Sonic proclaimed. "I know how to take care of myself, it's not my fault this has happened to me. I didn't ask to get this sick."

Sally gaped at him, a look of hurt in her eyes. She admitted what he said was true, but to be told such a thing can be hurtful to oneself. The intense glare she was receiving for him was also very intimidating.

"Sonic, I nag you because I care," Sally told him, voice small and meek. Sonic's glare instantly melted into a look of surprise, all evidence of his anger gone.

"You... care?" he questioned after an interval.

"Of course, Sonic. You are very important, to all of us. If something happened to you I... we wouldn't know what we'd do without you," Sally explained, moving closer to Sonic.

Sonic hung his head shamefully and began to fidget with the cuff of his glove. "I... I had no idea..." he whispered. "I'm such a bonehead sometimes. I'm sorry I said that to you, Sally."

Sally sighed, but eventually smirked. "Come here you big goof," she said, hugging the hedgehog warmly. "You were only being honest, and that's what I admire about you."

Sonic sat frozen for a moment, not knowing what to do, then awkwardly hugged Sally back. There was a small grin on his face when he did this. "Really?" he questioned.

"Yes, you always seem to speak your mind," Sally said, patting his back. "Even though no one asked for it."

Sonic laughed and pulled away from Sally's embrace. "Yeah, well you know me. I don't know when to shut up, even after being yelled at a thousand times."

"Don't I know it?" Sally commented, rolling her eyes but smiling.

Just then there was a tiny knock at the door, then the door opened and a head poked in. For a moment Sonic thought that it was Bunnie, but remembered that she was going to come by a lot later into the day.

The rest of the body, revealing that the visitor was a short grey and white female lynx, followed the head shortly. Under her arm was a single clipboard, which she pulled out and flipped open.

"Hello, I'm Doctor Quack's assistant nurse from the clinic," she began, focussing her bright green eyes onto Sonic and Sally. "He sent me down to check up on Mr. Hedgehog and yourself, Princess Sally."

"Oh, right," Sally responded, surprised. The nurse nodded and walked over to the bed, dropping the clipboard onto the side table.

"Now, I have to take your temperature and a blood sample for comparison to the first sample," the nurse explained, referring to the notes in the clipboard as she pulled out a drawer in the side table. From the drawer she fished out a device similar to what Doctor Quack had used earlier. This she activated.

"Whoa, whoa. Doctor Quack said nothing about getting any blood outta me, or another check-up," Sonic snapped to the nurse, flattening his ears in obvious annoyance. The lynx regarded Sonic coolly, not flinching the least at Sonic's threatening expression.

"I'm only following the doctor's orders. You're more than welcome to yell at him when you're well," she said. She then held up the device's arm towards Sonic. "Now, let me take your temperature."

Sonic sighed with frustration and rolled his eyes, and then dipped his head low enough for the nurse to reach his ear. Upon inserting the device's tip into Sonic's ear it began to beep slowly, picking up rhythm as the seconds ticked by.

"So have you've tried eating anything yet, Mr. Hedgehog?" the nurse questioned when the device finished measuring Sonic's temperature. Sonic rubbed at his ear and shook his head.

"No, still feel nauseous a bit," he answered, giving Sally a quick glance from the corner of his eye. Sally didn't give any signs of reaction; she was looking at what the nurse was now doing. Sonic followed her eyes and saw the nurse as she began to pull out a packaged syringe. The fur at the back of Sonic's neck bristled with a chilling sensation: he hated needles with a passion.

"Now hold still, and it'll be over in no time," the nurse said as she grabbed Sonic's arm and parted the fine fur. Sonic looked away and gritted his teeth. In his ill state his body seemed more sensitive, as he could feel everything from the fine needle piercing into his skin, to the needle leaving the usual stinging sensation behind after being taken out. Only to Sonic it felt one hundred times worse.

"Thank you for cooperating, Mr. Hedgehog. The doctor shouldn't need any more samples from you now," the nurse commented. She slipped the small tube into a plastic bag and sealed it, then placed it into the pocket of her lab coat. "Would either of you like me to call one of the nurses and have them bring something to eat?" the lynx questioned.

"No thanks," Sonic answered bluntly, as he flexed his arm.

"Princess?"

"No thank you, I'm fine," Sally assured. The nurse nodded.

"Well, Sonic's fever is still fairly high, so it would be a good idea to keep him drinking fluids. There should be some water in the ice-box here." The nurse paused to bend over and open what Sally and Sonic thought was a small cupboard, then moved away to show the two its contents. Like she had said, there was only a large jug of chilled water.

"And if you need anything at all, don't hesitate to use the call button there," the nurse continued, and cocked her head towards the wall where a small red button was. She turned and left the room once she had collected Sonic's blood sample and clipboard, closing the door behind her and leaving the two Mobians alone once again.

"Well, that was a pleasant visit," Sonic muttered sarcastically, rubbing his forehead gingerly as he lay back into the pillows.

"You okay?" Sally asked. Sonic rolled over to his side and nodded, allowing his arms to flop over the side of the bed limply.

"Just kinda light-headed, and a bit tired," he explained, stifling a yawn. Sally smirked and placed her elbows on her knees, resting her head in her hands.

"Eating something would help a bit," she commented.

"So would sleep, but I can't do that either, can I?" Sonic retorted, propping himself onto the pillows so that he could see Sally. "Man my head's killing me again." Sonic grimaced and massaged his forehead. The same drowsy feeling from before began creeping through him again, making Sonic's light-headedness worse. He groaned and curled up slightly, trying to fight off the tiredness.

"Maybe you shouldn't lie down any more," Sally suggested.

"Maybe..." Sonic murmured, allowing his eyes to close halfway. "If only I could sleep just for five minutes. Five minutes and I'd be fine. Maybe I'd be able to eat something after too or something or other." Sonic realised he was rambling, and felt like an idiot. "Can't even think straight!"

Sally's smirk widened slightly. "You know what I've noticed since the mutation, Sonic?" she questioned off-handily. When Sonic shook his head she continued. "You eat a lot more meat than you use to. You actually eat a lot more than you use to, in general."

Sonic gave Sally a sort of confused look, then sat up fully. "Do I?" he asked. Sally just nodded, and Sonic rubbed at the back of his neck. "Never noticed that. You think I do 'cause now I'm part cat or something?"

"It could be. Felines are the only true carnivores on Mobius, so they need more protein than other animals," Sally explained. Sonic laughed shortly.

"Great. Now I gotta learn all about wild cats just so I don't do something wrong to myself without knowing it," he remarked.

"You'll survive. You'll only have to take up a few small changes in your life style, nothing major."

"Yeah, maybe." Sonic suddenly stiffened, sucking in a sharp breath through his teeth. A spasm of pain flashed through his face, and Sally froze in silent panic.

"What's wrong, are you all right?" she questioned. Sonic's body stiffened again, his back arching.

"Yeah... just some pain in my shoulders," he answered, before another spasm went through his spine. Sally placed a hand on her chest and sighed.

"I thought something horrible was happening to you, don't do that," she exclaimed, then frowned with sympathy. "Here, lie down. I'll help you out."

Stiffening once again as more pain went through him, Sonic made himself lie on his stomach, trying not to move his shoulders too much.

"Here?" Sally asked, placing her palm between Sonic's shoulder blades.

"Yeah, right there," Sonic confirmed, then felt Sally hand as it began gently kneading itself into the tight knot in his shoulders. All at once a wave of blissful comfort washed over Sonic's back, and Sonic allowed it to swallow him by going limp under Sally's touch.

"I knew we should have gotten those claw slashes checked. They could have become infected," Sally murmured, but smiled. Slowly Sally pushed her hands up along Sonic's spine, then quickly along his sides. Sonic gave a short laugh and repositioned himself on the bed, resting his head on his arms. Silence filled the room eventually, and for a moment both forgot about the private room's sterilised surroundings; almost even the fact that they were in a hospital.

Then, out of nowhere came a strange sound. Sally paused to listen, bewildered by the sound, because to her it sounded almost like a cat's purr. But just as suddenly as it started the sound stopped, and Sally felt Sonic move from under her hands. She didn't even realise that she had stopped.

Sally watched as Sonic pushed himself up, turned and stared at her with such bafflement. Stiffly he brought a hand to his throat, as if feeling for something there, and Sally thought that there was something wrong with the hedgehog's throat.

"Did-- Did I just purr?" Sonic questioned eventually, the baffled look still on his face. Sally's mind went blank for a second, then she began to laugh. Embarrassed Sonic hide his face in his hands and shook his head.

"Oh, man. I can't believe I just did that," he exclaimed into his palms, falling back onto the bed with a groan. After an interval Sonic lifted his hands and glared at Sally, who was throughout the whole time still laughing.

"I can't believe you did that either, Sonic," Sally commented, barely understandable through her laughing. Sonic sat up and continued glaring at her, feeling his cheeks flare up with embarrassment even through his fever.

"Yeah, yeah. Laugh it up, Sal, 'cause you're never gonna hear that again," he scowled, wondering if she heard him. But then he couldn't help but smile and give a light chuckle himself. Eventually Sally took control of her mirth and wiped the tears away from her eyes, struggling not to begin laughing again.

"Sorry about that, but that was very unusual and hilarious," Sally said, and bit her lip as she felt another fit of laughter surface. She shifted closer to Sonic, immediately slipping her hand under Sonic's throat and running her fingers along it. "Can I hear you do it again?"

Sonic pulled away from Sally, somewhat disgruntled by the request. "No way, I'm not a cat," he snorted, grabbing Sally's hand and pushing it away, but not letting it go. The serious glare on Sonic's face melted away when Sally started giggling again, and soon a small smile crossed his face. "You have a beautiful laugh, Sally," he told her. Sally stopped laughing, wondering if she had heard right.

Sonic's smile widened slightly as he carefully swept back Sally's forelock and cupped the side of her face in his hand. "And you are the most beautiful Mobian on this entire planet," he said softly.

Sally was surprised at what Sonic had just said and didn't know what to say in response. She would have never expected Sonic to say anything like that to her; so sweet and explicit.

"I..." she mumbled witlessly.

Sonic's eyes then widened with realisation and he withdrew his hand.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. Please, don't be upset. I didn't mean to say that, I meant to say--" Sonic blurted, fumbling over his words as he tried to explain himself.

"No, no. It's okay, Sonic," Sally insisted, taking a hold of his hand. Sonic stared down at Sally's hand. The bones were fine and fragile, but at the same time held their strength.

Sonic ran his thumb over Sally's fine knuckles; they didn't protrude awkwardly, they were practically invisible to the eye. Sonic then lifted his gaze and looked at Sally herself, taking in her image. Sally's hair was soft and beautiful; Sonic had seen it shine in the sun many times before. Her fur was smooth and somehow didn't show any signs of it being worn out by the current war they both had the displeasure of experiencing. To Sonic, Sally was flawless; almost like an angel, even though he knew it was impossible for anyone to be so.

Sally watched Sonic as he did all this, wondering what was going through his mind. When Sonic had fallen silent all of a sudden Sally was worried that something was terribly wrong. He was fine a minute ago but now it seemed that he was troubled over something. Sally was shocked when Sonic finally looked up at her, only to find that he was... crying?

"Sonic, is something the matter?" Sally questioned, concerned for her friend. Why was he acting so strangely all of a sudden?

Sonic looked away from Sally and drew in a trembling breath, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. He released her hand quickly.

"No, no I'm fine," Sonic finally stated, grinning awkwardly. "When I'm over tired I start acting weird, that's all. Ignore everything I've said and done 'cause I'm not responsible for it."

Sally stared at him. He was lying; she knew it.

"Maybe we should get Doctor Quack in here to look over you, I'm sure that nurse is still in the hospital," Sally suggested. Sonic shook his head. "Nah, I'm cool. No problem, Sal," he insisted.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, 'course I'm sure," Sonic assured. "Now can we drop the subject, please?" There was a sort of pleading look in his eyes when he said that, Sally could see it clearly.

"Okay, Sonic. Subject dropped," Sally finalised, which seemed to please the hedgehog.
Sign up to rate and review this story