Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Alphabet Soup

"Q" is for Quiet

by kirayasha 0 reviews

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Bankotsu,Jakotsu - Published: 2007-08-29 - Updated: 2007-08-29 - 800 words - Complete

0Unrated
Alphabet Soup






By kira





Author’s note: The following is a series of Jakotsu-centric challenge fics written from a list my dear friend and writing partner, Vega-chan, came up with for me. It’s is based on Killa Kay’s awesome collection of Gravitation short stories called “A to Z.” (You can find them in my favorite stories section.) Due to the nature of the word given, they can either be what I call “canon timeline” which is set before their first deaths or AU which is set in modern times and will be set in the “world” I created in my story, “Homecoming.”



“Q” is for Quiet


Jakotsu slowly surfaced from his dream and cracked open his eyes. The dim half light of the wintry morning lent a soft fuzzy edge to the surrounding shadows. Bankotsu was curled up behind him, his butt pushed into the small of Jakotsu’s back. The cross-dresser stifled the urge to giggle when his lover, caught up in his dreams, twitched ever so slightly. Sighing softly, Jakotsu reluctantly crawled out from under the heavy quilt and stood up. He shivered in the cold morning air.


The cross-dresser padded quietly over to the brazier that heated the room. Picking up the metal rod that rested at its base, he poked the dying coals, before adding more. A few bits of used paper and some small twigs later, he had coaxed a small fire into life, heating the coals and ultimately their room. He took a small metal pot and headed towards the shoji leading outside, grabbing a spare quilt on the way. Jakotsu paused and sat on the floor where he put on a pair of leather tabi socks. Wrapping the quilt around his shoulders, and grabbing the pot, he rose to his feet. After casting one last look at his lover, he quietly slid the shoji open and stepped outside, sliding the door shut behind him.


Big fat wet flakes of snow slowly drifted down from the sky to land on the drifts that blanketed the courtyard. Jakotsu gasped at the scene before him. Everything was covered in white. He shivered, remembering the reason he had gone outside. The floorboards sang when he padded softly to the far end of the covered veranda to his left.


Once there, he set the pot down and parted the folds of his sleeping kimono, exposing himself. The blast of cold air made it hard to start but once he did, the resulting warmth felt oddly good. Finished, Jakotsu, looking down, as he adjusted the folds of kimono, snorted in amusement at the pattern of yellow he had left in the snow. He turned and headed back towards his room. Treading as lightly as he could, his footsteps and the floorboards’ song complimented the slowly falling flakes.


He paused just outside his room, and instead of entering, Jakotsu drew the quilt tightly around himself and sat. The snow fell in big silent flakes, dancing prettily in the occasional gust of wind that blew through the pines. The cross-dresser watched, entranced by the quiet beauty of the winter landscape, until the cold got to him. His teeth chattering a soft staccato beat, as he stood and turned, in sharp counterpoint to the melody of the floorboards. Pausing to take one last look over his shoulder at the falling snow, Jakotsu sighed softly. He had forgotten the pot. Moving quickly across the singing floor, he quickly reached the pot. Kneeling, he leaned over the veranda and grabbed some snow, careful to avoid the area near the yellow stain that was rapidly disappearing under the falling flakes. He worked quickly, as the cold burned his hands and when he was finished, he stood and made his way back to his room.


A shaky hand carefully slid the shoji back so that he could enter. Stepping inside, Jakotsu smiled at the warmth that greeted him as he slid the door shut behind him. He set the pot down on the floor, and sitting next to it, he removed the leather tabi socks from his feet. A few minutes later, the pot sat on the low table next to the brazier so that the snow could melt without boiling away, and Jakotsu was crawling back into the warmth of the futon. He snuggled up behind his lover, wrapping an arm around him.


Bankotsu stirred and murmured sleepily, “Where were you...?”


“I was outside, listening to the quiet,” Jakotsu whispered.


“Oh...” Bankotsu yawned. His breathing slowly evened out, signaling his return to sleep.


Jakotsu kissed the back of his lover’s head and lying there, he listened to the familiar quiet of their room. Warming up, he slowly drifted back to sleep...


888




Author’s end note: Next up is “R” is for Rabbits.
Sign up to rate and review this story