Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Company We Keep

Fudge's Failed Publicity Stunt

by Quillian 1 review

Finally, some Fudge-bashing!

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-01-03 - Updated: 2006-01-03 - 956 words

2Funny
DISCLAIMER: See the Prologue.

A/N: I am /SO SORRY/ it took so long for me to update this, but with tough college courses, recurring computer problems and all of my other fanfiction, this just went onto the shelf for a while! Oh, that and the fact I kind of lost interest with this fic for a while. Well, here I am with a new chapter...

Well, I said last chapter that Fudge would try and trick Harry into returning, so I'm going to stick with that! (Hey, at least we see Fudge get bashed for the first time in this fic!)

IMPORTANT NOTE: After careful consideration, I've decided NOT to change or fix this story due to the release of HBP. (Although I just might do something with Slughorn...)

This chapter is dedicated to ksomm814, author of the AU Midnight cycle. (In one of the first chapters of its first story, "Midnight Guardian," Sirius sends a blue envelope which speaks rather than screams like a Howler, but then it screams. I kind of adapted that idea, making it so the envelope's color changed based on the mood of its sender...)



Chapter 15: Fudge's Failed Publicity Stunt

Two figures walked through a relatively quiet mountain trail in upstate New York: Logan and Harry.

Since Harry hadn't had survival training yet, here he was.

For a few days, Logan had taught Harry how to survive in the woods without powers, mutant or magical. While Harry didn't perform each task perfectly and flawlessly, he liked to think he was doing well. Especially since it was only the beginning of the year, and still rather cold.

On the morning of the last day, an hour before he and Logan were due to pack up and leave, they were walking through the woods when a big horned owl dropped out of the sky and on a branch in front of Harry. It was a big, pompous-looking owl, and it bore a letter with the crest of the Ministry of Magic.

'Uh-oh,' Harry thought to himself. 'Better be careful. It's most likely going to have some sort of Tracking Spell on it.'

Quickly putting a sort of Disguising Spell on himself, Harry accepted the letter and read it over while the owl and Logan waited in their respective places.

Harry went from curious to shocked to suspicious to pissed in a matter of moments. "Uh-oh, what happened now?" Logan asked.

"Fudge thinks he can just invite me back, telling me that they're no longer after me," Harry ground out. "Got this whole stupid trap set up for me, I'll bet you anything..."

But at the same time, an idea was slowly forming in Harry's mind. And then he had this evil sort of grin on his face.

"You're going to make it backfire on him, aren't you?" Logan asked, having seen that sort of expression on some students' faces from time to time, such as Kurt or Bobby.

"Oh heck yes," Harry said. Using his powers, he made out a very special kind of reply...


Dumbledore frowned, wishing he could be elsewhere.

Fudge had set up a nice big podium in the middle of Diagon Alley, giving out announcements beforehand that he found Harry Potter to be innocent, and was to be awarded the Order of Merlin, First Class. A nice big crowd was there, but almost everyone knew that it was really a trap so Fudge could catch Potter; about half of the crowd was secretly hoping that Harry wouldn't fall for it (like Dumbledore), while the other half was secretly hoping that he would fall for it (like Fudge).

There was a hoot from above, and the owl which had delivered the message to Harry Potter returned, bearing a blue envelope in its beak.

It fluttered down in front of Fudge, and the foolish Minister curiously opened it.

As soon as he did, Harry's voice spoke pleasantly, magically loud enough for all to hear but not sounding as though it were shouting.

"Well, Minister Fudge, imagine my great surprise when I suddenly got this letter from you, telling me that I was no longer sought after for crimes I had supposedly committed. Now, normally, I would be glad to hear such news... but with you, I know better."

With that, the letter then turned red, and then even glowed red, and Harry's voice raised to a shout. With the force of a Howler (which the letter now was), Harry chewed out Fudge.

/"A PHONY APOLOGY? DO YOU HAVE THAT LITTLE RESPECT FOR MY INTELLIGENCE? OH NO, FUDGE, YOU'VE SPENT TOO MUCH TIME TRYING TO DISCREDIT ME IN ORDER TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK BETTER TO SUDDENLY DO THIS! IN FACT, IF IT WEREN'T FOR YOUR ZEAL IN PERSECUTING ME AND TRYING TO MAKE MY LIFE MISERABLE, I WOULDN'T HAVE HAD TO RUN TO BEGIN WITH! AND NOW IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME, I HAVE TO WRAP THIS UP..."/

And with that, the letter exploded in Fudge's face with an exaggerated explosion sound, completely covering the man in ash and dust. Two shocked eyes stared out from underneath it, still trying to comprehend what just happened.

To himself, Dumbledore grinned. This was one memory which he was going to deposit into his Pensieve. Off to one side, he winked to the Weasley twins, who quickly snapped pictures of Fudge's face before anyone could stop them.

'My day just got brighter,' Dumbledore thought to himself as he excused himself and Disapparated to Hogsmeade. 'At least now I know that Harry is still alright... and not as foolish as Fudge is.'



TBC...

A/N: Well, at least I got this updated at all!

Next chapter is where a shocking and puzzling discovery takes place... -Quillian
Sign up to rate and review this story