Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans > Good Enough

Chapter 5

by masquerade37 0 reviews

Dani preforms at a concert and Archie puts a new worry in Odie's head.

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2007-10-07 - Updated: 2007-10-08 - 1545 words - Complete

0Unrated
Dani looked out from between the curtains. She could see the gang at the back of the club. Odie caught her eye and smiled. He her a supportive thumbs up. He turned back to the guys after her eye disappeared behind the curtian.

"So I said 'Ya, sure, take a hike baby! I don't need your help with this, I can do it perfectly well on my own!'" Neil was telling some story about a tramp at school.

"That's right! I saw her stalking away pouting, and I knew it had to be you Neil!" Atlanta added.

"See, I have that affect on people." he polished his nails on his shirt.

"You're unbelievable," Archie said with frustration. He wasn't really into the mindless gossip that had entranced his friends.

Suddenly a guitar started rocking and the curtains to reveal the band being led by Dani.

Odie thought she looked beautiful. She was wearing black jeans and a black tank top, she had a white blouse over top with the sleeves rolled up. She had two black strapps tied around her left arm and two more on her right thigh. She had on a gray cuff and was wearing a lot of black eye make up. It was for the stage of course, but she had on tonnes of eyeliner and mascara. It looked natural from there, but up close it was like 'oh my god!' worthy. In a bad way. She was wearing bright opaque fushia lipstick and pale pink blush. She looked great under the spotlight.

Theresa came back from doing the make-up just as Dani started singing. The first song was called Whisper.

"Catch me, as I fall
say you're here and it's all over now
speaking to the atmosphere
no ones here and I fall into myself
this truth drives me into madness

I know I can stop the pain if I will it all away,
if I will it all away!

Don't turn away
Don't try to hide
Don't close your eyes
Don't turn out the light..."


She stated to really move on stage, not dance, but move with the music. She swayed and her head was bobbing all over the place.

Odie wondered how she did it. How could she get up on stage and sing like that in front of so many people? She really was a free spirit, and in a cool way.

Suddenly she stood up straight and still with the microphone clutched in both hands lmost tounching her mouth, she had a naturally frightened look on her face and she sang the verse with emotion that touched the whole crowd.

"Fallen angels at my feet
Whispered voices at my ear
Death before my eyes
Lying next to me I fear
She beckons me
Shall I give in
Upon my end shall I begin
Forsaking all I've fallen for
I rise to meet the end."


She fell right back into the chorus with a lurch, and without warning the song ended with a bout of Gregorian chant.

The whole place burst into cheering and applause. Dani had a look of pure happiness on her face and pumped her fist in the air whooping.

Odie cheered and Jay whistled. Theresa and Atlanta were cheering at the tops of their lungs, Neil and Herry too... but Archie seemed annoyed if anything. He sat with his chin proped up on his fist and he had a scowl on his face.

*****************

"I just wanna thank you guys, before we play our last song," Dani looked tired, but she hadn't lost her spirit. She was still smiling like she had after the first song.

Jake started to play a somber chord on the keyboard, in the classic piano setting.

"This one'll be our last tonight... it's a favourite, where I come from, good old Oklahoma. It's called Good Enough."

The piano started to get louder and a different chord was playing, still somber.

"Under your spell again.
I can't say no to you.
Crave my heart and it's bleeding in your hand.
I can't say no to you.

Shouldn't have let you torture me so sweetly.
Now I can't let go of this dream.
I can't breathe but I feel...

Good enough,
I feel good enough for you."


She had a habit of putting REAL emotion into her singing, and she really seemed to be doing well, the crowd looked like they had simpathy for her, she could easily make people feel stuff, even though they don't want to. Archie even looked like this was toching him.

"And I'm still waiting for the rain to fall.
Pour real life down on me.
'Cause I can't hold on to anything this good enough.
Am I good enough for you to love me too?

So take care what you ask of me,
'cause I can't say no."


She finished on a very sad note, and the whole audience cheered at the top of their lungs.

Dani whooped again, and kicked the air in front of her. When the cheering died down she put the microphone back to her lips.

"Oh my god, thank you, you guys! You've been awesome tonight, one of the best crowds I've had in a long time, I definatly wanna come back here! See y'all later!"

She ran off stage jumping and cheering. Always full of energy Odie thought happily.

As the crowd disperssed, they lost track of Archie.

"Hey, where'd Archie go?" Atlanta asked.

"Don't know, he'll turn up soon though." Jay answered putting his hands in his pockets and shrugging.

"You guys can go wait at the truck, I'll go get Dani." Odie said gesturing with his thumb to the backstage door.

"Kay!" Theresa called back.

Odie pushed through the crowd and made it to the door. He turned the rusty knob and closed the door quickly behind him. He wandered for a minute until he saw the back of a girl dressed in black.

"Dani!" he called. She spun to look at him.

"Odie! Hey! Was I terrible?" she asked hugging him.

"No, you were great! You really move people you know?"

"REALLY? Cool, if you'll excuse me for a sec I have to get this make-up off /now/! Be right back, don't wander to far." She said smiling.

Odie waved as she went into the make-up area. He leaned up against a wall and waited. And waited. And waited. He glanced at his watch and saw that nearly five minutes had passed. The crowd backstage was diminishing as people left for home, or went up front to get a drink. He turned around and headed into the back to make sure she hadn't drowned in make-up remover.

As he got further in her heard yelling. He strained his ears to make out the words.

"... you can't do this got it?" a guy was obviously angry.

"And just why not?" Odie widened his eyes when he realised this voice was Dani.

"Because! He, Odie, is not right for you!"

"Oh and just who is Archie?"

Odie decided to break this conversation off right then and there.

"Hey! Archie what are you doing man?"

"I'm telling your girlfriend off, that's what!"

"Dani, go get packed up, I'll handle him."

Dani nodded reluctantly and left them.

"Just what in the..."

"Odie, you gotta break it off! You have no idea what you're getting into."

"Oh, what? A relationship with a girl who actually likes me? You can have any girl you want, can't you let me be happy for once? Or do you always have to be the center of attention?"

"That's not it Odie, just trust me on this, /BREAK IT OFF/!" He pushed past Odie and rammed into the rear entrance of the building. He disappered into the night.

Odie swore under his breath and walked out to the main area of the back stage.

Dani broke off a conversation with her guitarist and ran over to him.

"Hey what'd he have to say?" She looked worried.

Odie put his hand on her shoulder and smiled feebly.

"Nothing he didn't tell you. Come on, let's go." He turned away from her thinking about what Archie had said. Trust him? Just what was he getting into that was so bad?

"Odie," He felt a hand on his shoulder, "don't listen to him... please, he doesn't know what he's talking about."

Odie turned to her and took hold of both her shoulders and looked her right in the eye.

"What did he mean: /I don't know what I'm getting into/?"

"Odie," she put her hand on his face, "he doesn't know what he's talking about, please trust ME on that. He's a pig headed... anyway. Please, don't let him cloud your mind. Follow your heart. It's a tactic that's always worked for me!"

"Okay, but still we gotta go alright?"

"Ya," she grabbed a small duffel bag.

Odie put his arm around her shoulders and she put her head on his shoulder.

*****************

Odie couldn't sleep that night, Archie's words were echoing around in his head.

"Odie, you gotta break it off! You have no idea what you're getting into.

What did it mean? Was there more to Dani than met the eye, or was Archie just jealous?
Sign up to rate and review this story