Categories > Games > Kingdom Hearts

The Nature of Grief

by tsukiyuuki 0 reviews

Sometimes Sora can't be strong. When he can't, Riku is there to help him. [Genfic, written for my Sora and Riku friendship claim on LJ's 50scenes community.]

Category: Kingdom Hearts - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Riku,Sora - Published: 2007-10-21 - Updated: 2007-10-22 - 482 words - Complete

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I do not own in part or in full any aspect of the Kingdom Hearts series. It is the property of Square Enix, Disney, their relevant partners, and subsidiaries. I do own all original aspects of this fanfiction including but not limited to original characters and plot. This fanfiction has been published at no profit, purely for the enjoyment of the fans and the collective good of the series.

The Nature of Grief


Sora saw Riku’s reflection in the window before heard his approach, but remained where he was, staring out the window at the island. Riku stepped quietly into Sora’s room and crossed the floor to sit on the bed. Sora turned his head slightly in Riku’s direction, but kept his eyes on the island.

“Your mum called my place,” Riku said, tone soft and even. “Dad told me. I’m sorry.”

Sora said nothing in return, and Riku didn’t know what else to say, so silence descended, thick and heavy. Riku shifted on the bed, moving to sit cross-legged next to Sora, and joined him in staring out the window. It was sunset, the red sky reflecting on the calm ocean, but Riku could make out very few details of the island.

“He was the first person to take us to the island,” Sora blurted out, his voice loud in the quiet room. “Do you remember, Riku?”

“Of course I do,” Riku said; he reached out and touched his fingers to the cool glass of the window. “It was just after Mum died.”

“Yeah,” came the murmured response, “you wouldn’t forget. Sorry.”

Riku turned to look at Sora and shook his head. “It’s okay.”

Sora met his friend’s gaze for the first time since he’d arrived, and nodded after a moment. “Thanks for coming over.”

“He was practically my grandfather, too.”

“I wasn’t sure if you’d rather stay home with your dad.”

Riku shook his head. “Dad barely knew him.” He nudged Sora gently with his elbow. “Besides, I’ve left you when you needed me enough for a lifetime. I won’t do it again, and you can hold me to that.”

“Thanks, Riku.”

With a shuddering sigh, Sora leaned over and laid his head on Riku’s shoulder as he started to cry. Riku wrapped an arm around his shoulders and rested his cheek on the top of his head, dampening Sora’s hair as his own tears fell.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

fin

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Yup, this was me coming up with a grandfather for Sora just so I could have him be dead for angst purposes. XD

The first of fifty pieces, this was written for my claim of Sora and Riku friendship on the 50scenes LiveJournal community, found at http://community.livejournal.com/50scenes. I’m using prompt table one, and this is for prompt 011: Cry.

Started: 10.09.2007
Completed: 10.11.2007
Sign up to rate and review this story