Categories > Books > Harry Potter > And We'll Call It This Land!

Chapter 9

by Kaotac 3 reviews

Manipulating can be bad for your health and career..

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Sci-fi - Characters: Dumbledore,Fudge,Lupin - Warnings: [!] [!!] [!!!] [?] - Published: 2007-10-25 - Updated: 2007-10-25 - 1242 words

2Original
AN: Someone pointed out to me that today it's exactly one year since I started this story, so here's an unusual update.. Unusual since it isn't months between updates..

Harry didn't attend the meeting with Fudge about the term of the peace. He appeared quite pleased about Harry not being there, as did Dumbledore who was seated to the back of the room, and he thought that it would allow him to assert his will on the discussions.
“I'm sad to see that Harry was unable to attend, but I'm sure we can come to a quick agreement over the misunderstanding. We of course won't ask for more than one thousand galleons to repair the tower and labs that were destroyed in your attack,” Dumbledore said even before Fudge could get a word out.
You have to understand that the three people who were there on behalf of Luna were wearing a cloaks and hoods that disguised their faces and prevented the reading of their thoughts. All that could be discerned about the three was that there was one man and two women. So, Albus got a bit of a shock when the male of the party spoke, and he recognized the voice.
“Need you be reminded that you are here only as a courtesy, Albus? You will have no part in these negotiations. I'm sorry, but those were Har.. Excuse me, The President's instructions,” the man said, actually sounding like he was sorry for the old man. The three of them lowered their hoods. The two women were the two who had accompanied Harry the day before.
“What is the meaning of this?” Fudge yelled as he jumped to his feet and pointed to the man. “You're a Warewolf and it's illegal for you to have a governmental position!”
Remus Lupin just shook his head sadly and gave a small sigh. “The people Britain may cruelly and unjustly prevent people like myself from performing a job to allow them to look after themselves, but the people of Luna do no such thing.. In fact, The President has said that if you want any diplomatic contact with him or his government in the future, that you would have to accept me as the Ambassador.. Now down to business,” he said as he pulled a small pile of papers from the inside of his jacket. “I am Senator Remus Lupin, representative to the Tranquility Region within the Luna Legislative Council, and I speak for the Luna Government until I leave the atmosphere. You have already met River Tam of the Luna Navy, and Kara Thrace of the Luna Marine Corps. They are here to represent the interests of the military.”

“Remus.. Why didn't you tell me about any of this? Surely you don't approve of a military in the hands of a child!” Dumbledore asked, shocked while Fudge did some blustering. He was a politician after all.
One of the young women spoke for the first time, “You've been warned, Dumbledore. You're not to interrupt these proceedings! If you do so again, we will insist that you leave!”
He looked ready to speak again, but it was quite obvious that she wasn't making empty threats, so he thought better.
Remus, diplomatically continued, “Harry has some of the best advisors possible around him, and the military in his hands doesn't upset me in the slightest. Now, onto business.”
He started to flip through some papers while Fudge tried to wait patiently.
“Aah, here we are. Now, the North Tower at Hogwarts was destroyed due to what can easily be described as an act of war perpetrated by the head of your Legislative/Judicial branch of Government. He was given warnings to release our President, but he refused. As a result, the Naval Flagship, of the First Carrier Group, the LNS Serenity, under the command of Admiral Tam opened fire on the surface of the planet. As this action could have been avoided if not for the illegal actions taken by Mr. Dumbledore, we feel we do not hold the responsibility to pay for repairs.” Fudge's face had gone very red and he looked to be on the brink of yelling something, so Remus held up a hand and continued. “However, as Hogwarts is highly regarded by the President and a large part of our population, we are willing to put one hundred galleons towards the cost to rebuild the tower. Also, as we hadn't intended to destroy the dungeons, we will give three hundred galleons to both repair or outfit a new area for potion's labs and to replace ingredients lost in the accident. However, these offers are contingent on Mr. Dumbledore being removed as Headmaster of Hogwarts. If he continues in that position, we offer one knut in reparations.”
“This is an outrage! You are in no position to demand any such thing!” yelled a very unsettled Dumbledore.
“You are technically correct that we are in no position to demand your removal. However, we are well within our rights to demand concessions in return for our reparations. Also, for the third time, you are not here to be a part of the discussions,” Remus told the old man, before turning his head to Fudge, “I'm afraid we must insist that Mr. Dumbledore leave, or we will. That may very well lead to an end of the cease fire. Or.. Well, yes, I suppose we could allow him to stay, but he would be unable to be heard even if he did say something. If you're agreeable?”
Fudge looked very lost, so all he could do was nod his head and stammer a “ Y.. Yes, that is acceptable.”
One of the young women, the one from the Marines took an object from her belt and tossed it on the floor in front of Dumbledore. Before the old man could do anything, a cylinder shot up, surrounding him by a meter in each direction.
“There, no more interruptions. We only have one more issue to discuss, Minister. We will be looking to allow commercial travel to and from Luna in two weeks time. We would like it if you would allow any citizen of Luna to receive a visa to visit Britain with the absolute minimum of red tape and without bribes. We will allow the same for any citizen of Britain who would like to visit Luna, provided they have no criminal record. If you agree to this, we will open an embassy here. I will be Ambassador, and you will be able to send someone to Luna as your Ambassador. Now, for all this to happen, one thing has to be granted.. Albus Dumbledore can hold no Governmental position at all. He must be removed from the Wizengamot by the end of this week.”
Remus stood and placed some papers on the Minister's desk. “When Dumbledore has been removed from Hogwarts, sign these and the gold for repairs will be transferred by Gringots to Hogwarts. When he has been removed from the Wizengamot, sign these and we will begin work on the embassies. You have only five business days to sign them before the deals are removed from the table. If we're made to negotiate again, our offer won't be nearly as generous. Don't wait too long. Oh, and Dumbledore will be able to speak again in a half hour.”
With that, Remus turned and left the office, followed by the two Admirals.
Sign up to rate and review this story