Harry kills some Death Eaters, Susan gets her man, Hermione has naughty dreams, Harry gets hurt and Shacklebolt pays the price
- wicked chuckle Some interesting events there that look to lay the basis for all sorts of future fun. I daresay that the Reaper's augmenting his forces and combining efforts with His Majesty's Army is going to give Tom a right headache, among other aches. I daresay the Resistance is suddenly going to find themselves dealing with a more powerful co-belligerent in addition to Tom's forces. I do hope Amelia can persuade them to see reason this time, esp. with the connections Harry now has.
I don't cry at all for Shacklebolt and while I find what happened to Tonks a shame, -this- Tonks made her choices and will have to live, die rather, with the results.
The switch in polarity is quite interesting, I'm going to be looking forward to seeing more of the implications of this.
Finally, I rather liked the interactions 'tween William and Hermione, I t hink it bodes well for both their futures. 'Twill be interesting to see where the next strike occurs.
Author's responseWell, not that much of a augmenting force... He's got 53 more people, including women and children. Call it 35-40 able bodies. While several fics have aluded to the ability of Wizard shields to stop bullets, I can't find anything in canon supporting it, I may have missed it. I see the wizard's primary defense against troops being their ability to affect the troops themselves, but not their weapons.
Shack was a cop. A marked cop, but a cop As far as Tonks goes, I've wanted to do that since the first fic I read where runes were used to do transmutation... I figure why not?
The Polarity is important.
A woman damaged by violent men saved by a most unviolent man?
(#) red_jacobson 2007-11-01 08:01:01 PMVery interesting; although I think the Mandy/Tonks thing happened a little too fast. Maybe because of you posting multiple chapters in one segment, but it seems like she was just 'rescued' and went into assassin mode.
Looking forward to more
Author's responseIt was fairly subtle, but Shack mentioned to Riddle that she had been with Harry for 2 months...
- A woman damaged by violent men saved by a most unviolent man?
Quite likely; it's certainly plausible enough. Eh, in Shack's case I consider him the same as a crooked cop and have 'bout the same concern, that he get what he earned, for him as for them.
I suspect wizard shields can, maybe, stop one bullet, which was enough when firearms were first developed. These days, though, that's totally insufficient, though I doubt any wizrd who relies on his shields that way is going to survive to tell others that a problem exists.
35-40 able bodies can still cause major havoc, esp. with the transport and security that Harry can provide. It would be nice to have more, but I -really- doubt he'll get more 'til such time as the Resistance extracts its head and decides that it really should make peace with him since they've got a common enemy. I do love his analogy as the the responsibility of muggles for Riddle; I'm still willing to argue that the -primary- responsibility for how Riddle turned out rests with Albus Dumbledore and I hope he's paying, somewhere, for his sins.
Author's responseAnd of course shields only work if they are deployed...
I've had a plot bunny about the Death Eaters being decimated by a squib with Sniper training hopping around my pointy little head for a while now... Imagine the terror inspired in those racist little minds when death can reach out and touch them at any time...
I'm not going to spill too much of the ending, but let it suffice to say that the plot device that saves this world comes from the normal humans rather than Homo Magus... Well the plot device and Harry.
DUmbledore's responsiblility for Riddle is certainly a case that could be made, but what could he have done REALLY to prevent him? This goes back to the old time travel story of going back to 1909 and killing Adolph Hitler. Of couse in 1909 at the age of 20 he may have been an evil bastard, but he hadn't yet done anything to deserve being killed... And if you were going to kill him for what he might do (remember you changed the conditions by observing it) you would also be obligated to kill a good portion of the young men in Germany and Austria for what they were going to do... And what does this make you?
(#) Darth_Bobo 2007-11-02 12:33:45 AMYAY 3 chapters in one day... was a good distraction from work, thanks for that.
I didnt see Tonks coming either... and that rarely happens, your fic is just so different from most out there.
Keep up the good work.
Author's responseMy original drafts had multiple examples of Mandy being very clusmy, then each of the other girls in turn being klutzes, and showing up from scene to scene in different clothes... It was a complete train wreck, only radical pruning produced what's left.
- Poor Tonks, also twisted here. And Harry/Susan William V/Hermione? (Yes, William V, not William IV -- William IV was king 1830-1837, 3rd son of George III, younger brother George IV, uncle to Victoria)
RE: shields -- there is no reason to doubt that shields should be able to stop debris, so a powerful one should stop a bullet. A physical shield, like Dumbledore's in the atrium, could as well if strong enough. However, considering the speed of a bullet, the shield would need to be cast before the gun is fired, and I usually have most wizards not being powerful enough to do so in any event. In your world, it would probably take a 'class 5' or higher to have a chance to do so, but it's your world.
Author's responseCrap crap crap.
Too damned many kings.
- Wow, a 3rd chapter in the same day? Amazing. Anyways, I loved it of course. I was wondering when you were going to bring Tonks in and I was dreading that you were going to bring her in on Riddle's side. Too bad for her, I was really hoping she would be another girl saved by Harry. Anyways Shack got what he deserved, poetic justice to be killed by his own secret weapon. As for the Harry/Susan relationship, I liked how it started out, with Susan having a crush on the first guy to treat her like a normal girl and everything, but I have to admit I am a die-hard H/Hr shipper. Even though I totally agree with the Hermione/Prince William relationship. I think this Hermione has been too scarred by wizards to ever truly trust one. As for the resistance, I do hope they come around eventually, I also wonder who else is involved with the Resistance, you have mentioned Luna, Nevile, Flitwick, McGonagall, Amelia Bones, Poppy and Vector, but who else is involved? Anyways, the addition of the Weasley twins is nice, and maybe having two guys to wear out should satisfy Fleur for the most part. I also have to wonder, how much damage is Harry really doing? I mean if Riddle does truly control the world, is doing a little damage and killing a handful of Death Eaters in Britain really doing anything other than pissing Riddle off? Anyways, good chapter, I can't wait to see more.
Author's responseWell as far as the chapters go I've been writing this weekly at Fanfiction.net for a while now, I just made up for my short chapter by grouping them in 10k word bundles to get them on ficwad... I'm caught up now, so it's slowing down.
I orignially intended this to be (like most of my fics) Harry/Hermione, but after I set the tone for Hermione's survival, there is no way in hell she would ever trust him enough for a relationship... She has been done to by violent men and harry is just another violent man... My version of William (V, not IV damnit) is a heretary leader of violent men, not violent himself (plus 3 years younger than she)
I mentioned the resistance members I needed. I've got an org chart somewhere on my desk with everyone, maybe I'll dig it out and post it like the timeline...
Harry is realizing that he isn't doing any real damage. The Twins struck the first substancial blow with Tonk's corpse. It's Normal Humans who are going to supply the means of taking the wizards out... but it will take harry to do it.
- I'd say Dumbledore's responsibility for Riddle lies more in, as assistant Headmaster, sending him back to the orphanage each summer, feeding his anger and driving farther into the Dark rather than making -any- effort to try and pull him back toward the light (It might not have worked, but it should've been tried unless he had na ulterior motive, even then) and then, later, when Riddle applied for the DADA positon, not dealing with the whole of what he saw at that time, since Riddle was already well on his way into the deep Dark with at least one horcrux already made.
I suspect the final blow will be a primarily muggle weapon delivered/used by Harry. I would hope, though, that it's not the suicide bomber approach, after this is over, he deserves some good times.
Author's responseWell there is that, yeah...