Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > I Only Think In The Form Of Crunching Numbers___x

Chapter 11: This Is Side One, Flip Me Over

by VikkiMole 0 reviews

It wasn’t too bad, but it was clear I was rusty, having not played in a while. I blushed in embarrassment.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2007-12-09 - Updated: 2007-12-09 - 1408 words

0Unrated

Knocking on the door of Joe’s house, I had the shock of my life when a boy around my age with long brown, slightly-curly hair answered. He looked me up and down.

‘You’re... You’re not Jewish…’ I choke out awkwardly, unsure why the hell, of all lines, I chose to go with that one.

He paused for second. Still looking at me from my shoes up to the tip of my head. He blinked twice then smiled.

‘Glad you noticed…’ He answered, stepping aside and waving his hand to signal me in.

I entered hesitantly, waiting for the curly boy to lead me around. I felt quite uncomfortable actually. I mean, here I was in someone I don’t know’s house being led around by someone else I don’t know who doesn’t actually live in said house. So, I follow this boy, who’s name I still don’t know, around Joe’s house. We walk passed a woman in the kitchen who I assume is Joe’s mom. She just smiled and shook her head.

We reach this big white door which lead to the basement. Opening it, the sound of a random guitar riff hit me instantly.

‘We’re practicing downstairs’ The curly-haired boy said plainly, ‘Come on’

‘Ummm.. Kay..’ I answer, still following like a little lost puppy.

On the way down I heard Patrick’s voice and smiled.

‘Jesus.. Where is he?’ Patrick sigh angrily, ‘He’s always late..’

Wincing a little, thinking he was talking about me, I started walking slower than usual. My leader picked up on this and turned to face me.

‘Not you..’ He grinned, ‘Our bassist, he’s talented but he’s probably the laziest person I’ve met in my life’

‘Oh.. Okay then’ I felt relieved.

Reaching the bottom, I scanned the room. There were musical instruments everywhere. Three guitars, two basses, a keyboard, microphones, a sound board, a big-ass drum kit and in the far corner a trumpet on a stand. Amps were scattered around the place too. Patrick, noticing me, smiled his glorious smile and Joe waved. He’s always waving…

‘Hey’ I wave back at Joe, hesitantly.

‘Hey Pan’ Trick nodded and tipped his guitar in my direction.

‘Heeeeey’ Joe called manically, kinda creepy actually

‘So, you’ve met Andy then’ Patrick pointed at the curly-haired boy who had now relocated to behind the drum kit

‘Kinda…’ I shove my hands in my pockets,

‘Don’t worry…’ Joe laughed, ‘He’s not as scary as he wants people to think.’

Andy flipped him off before nodding in agreement. Patrick checked his watch and exhaled.

‘He’s already an hour late..’ Patrick said sadly, ‘We’ll probably have to cancel now’

‘I don’t see why we keep having to put up with Nicky’s shit Trick..’ Andy growled, twirling a drum stick between his fingers, ‘He always pulls this crap’

‘Got any other suggestions?’ Trick asked, Andy didn’t

‘I can play bass’ I say quietly, half hoping no-one heard me

Patrick’s eyes darted to me. Okay, so maybe someone did hear.

‘What?’ He questioned, coming closer

‘I…uh..’ I say, louder this time, ‘I can play bass’

On hearing this, Joe jumped over to a bass guitar leaning against the wall. I froze up.

‘Oh no..’ I shook my head, ‘I’m not performing for you guys..’

‘You said you can play’ Joe shot back, scooping the bass up in his arms, ‘Prove it’

He dropped the bass heavily into my arms. I sigh.

‘I haven’t played for like, six years’ I argue, a little too high-pitched for my liking

‘Pfft..’ Joe snorted, ‘Like riding a bike, come on’

‘If you asked me to prove my bike riding skills, I wouldn’t mind’ I smile, running my hand over the instrument in my hands, ‘I don’t know, Joe..’

‘Please Pete..’ Patrick begged, rubbing his elbow, ‘I said I’d teach you music, well, show me what I’ve got to work with.’

I punch him in the arm before taking hold of the fret. Throwing the strap around my shoulder, I get used to the weight. Taking a deep breath and hovering my fingers over the strings, I strum out something simple. It wasn’t too bad, but it was clear I was rusty, having not played in a while. I blushed in embarrassment. I go to take the bass off but Patrick stopped me.

‘Nope..’ He said, putting his hand on mine, ‘Wait a second..’

Patrick ran over to his backpack and rustled through some papers inside. Making a small noise of triumph he pulled some of the papers out and handed them to me. They were tabs. Bass tabs to be precise.

Intro - 4x
G |---------------------|-----------|
D |---------------------|-----------|
A |---------------------|-----------|
E |-1-1-1--5-5-5--3-3-3-|-0-4-5-4-0-|

Verse - 2x
G |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
D |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
A |3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-------------------------------------------------------|
E |-----------------0-0--1-5--5-5-5--3--1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1--3-3-3-3-|

Pre Chorus
G |----------------------------------------------------------------|
D |----------------------------------------------------------------|
A |----------------------------------------------------------------|
E |-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5--1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1--5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5--1-1--1--3-3-|

Chorus - 4x
G |-------------------------------------|
D |-------------------------------------|
A |-3-3--3------------------------------|
E |---------3-3--5-5--1-1--1--5-5---3-3-|

3x
G |----------------------------------|
D |----------------------------------|
A |------------------3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-|
E |-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1------------------|

G |----------------------------------|
D |----------------------------------|
A |------------------3-3-3-3---------|
E |-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1----------3-3-3-3-|


‘What do you want me to do with this?’ I ask, stupidly

Patrick cocked his eyebrow up.

‘Uh.. Play?’ He giggled, gripping his guitar, ‘We’re just doing up to the chorus.. Try and keep up’

‘Oh..’ My stomach screamed, yeah, I was shit scared, ‘No problem..’

Joe grabbed his guitar and Andy tapped his sticks together, couting us in. One, Two, Three. No turning back. Oh shit.

‘Hope this is the last time
'Cause I'd never say no to you
This conversation's been dead on arrival
And there's no way to talk to you
This conversation's been dead on

A rivalry goes so deep between me
And this loss of sleep over you

This is side one, flip me over
I know I’m not your favorite record
The songs you grow to like never stick at first
So, I’m writing you a chorus
And here is your verse’

I tried my hardest to keep up. I faltered a few chords but generally sounded pretty awesome, and the song was immense. Patrick’s singing was perfect as usual. When we’d stopped playing they all just stared at me. I shrugged.

‘What?’ I asked, checking that there wasn’t something in my teeth.

‘And you want me to teach you music…’ Patrick hooted

‘Fuck Nicky’ Andy laughed, pointing a drumstick in my direction, ‘Let’s get this guy instead.’

I laughed along, thinking it was a joke. Sure, me playing bass in a band. I was quite shocked when no one laughed as well.

‘Well?’ Joe asked me

‘Well...What?’ I was confused, again.

‘Do you wanna?’ Joe questioned, eyes pleading with me

I nearly choked. I couldn’t believe it.

‘You…want me… to play bass for you?’ Joe nodded; clearly this was not a joke.

‘Are you serious?’ I had to make sure I was hearing correctly.

‘Yeah,’ Patrick smiled, ‘You’re good, really’

‘Well,’ I considered it, ‘Only if you’re sure’

‘Hell yeah we’re sure!’ Andy shouted, stomping his feet, ‘Now are we going to play today, please?’

I nod and hold on tight to the bass.

‘Do you think someone should tell… Nicky... was it?’ I ask timidly

Patrick tapped his index finger on his chin, deep in thought. Apparently, getting an idea he snapped his fingers.

‘I’ve got a better idea’ Patrick smiled at me

‘What’s that then Trick?’ I ask, waiting for whatever amazing answer there was to come.

Patrick grinned wickedly, looked at the three of us then snorted.

‘Fuck him’ He giggled.
Sign up to rate and review this story