Categories > Original > Drama

Wednesday

by MarkPoa 4 reviews

Quitting? (Short fic I wrote as a stress-reliever...)

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-12-12 - Updated: 2007-12-13 - 269 words - Complete

1Original
"Psst," said Wednesday as he passed by.

"Yes?" said Thursday, getting ready for the next day.

"I'm quitting," Wednesday announced.

"You are? Huh," Thursday replied, not giving the matter a lot of thought.

"Yep," Wednesday exclaimed, beaming proudly. "No more duties for me."

"That's it, then?" Thursday remarked, not entirely sure what his friend meant. "You just go and quit?"

"That's all there is to it," his friend explained. "Give my regards to Tuesday when you see him."

"Why?" Thursday asked, suddenly curious.

Wednesday sighed. "I just had it. People always complained whenever I'm around. 'Here's Wednesday again! God, I hope the week moves faster.' is what I always hear. I'm not as popular as you and Friday and certainly nowhere near as loved as Saturday and Sunday. No one would notice I'm gone," he ended wistfully.

"So where are you going now?"

Wednesday gave a shrug. "I don't know. I never thought that far."

Thursday waved goodbye and assumed his post. Wednesday left, looking forward to the future.

**

Thursday was not expecting Wednesday to be there the following week. "I thought you quit?" he asked as they passed each other.

"I couldn't," Wednesday remarked. "Tuesday called me. People were wondering where I was. 'Wednesday is not coming? Where'd he go?' they cried out. 'The week is not complete without Wednesday.' I was needed after all."

"So, you're not leaving, then?" Thursday remarked, feeling relieved.

"No," Wednesday said. "This is who I am. This is where I am needed. This is where I belong. I am content."

"See you next week, then?"

"See you next week."
Sign up to rate and review this story