Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > I Only Think In The Form Of Crunching Numbers___x

Chapter 20: 18 Going On Extinct

by VikkiMole 3 reviews

‘Psssst’ I whispered, waving my arms, ‘Bexz…’ ‘Huh?’ She questioned, spinning around in search of the one calling her

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2007-12-13 - Updated: 2007-12-13 - 1743 words

0Unrated
Nothing much happened the next day. Joe came in to update me on the progress of his quest. I was glad that I had Joe as a friend. He was a nice guy. He was so goofy. Like a little brother. I could not give him a piggy back though. He’s a good four inches taller than me. Anyway, not important. I finished my song. I was quite proud of it actually.

I gave it to Joe to put with my gift. I asked him to give it to Patrick as soon as he’d woken up. I wanted him to get the song as soon as possible but I wanted to give him the real gift myself. That way he’d know I cared. Know I was sorry. Hopefully. I didn’t know what I wanted. I had the usual hollow feeling now that I hadn’t seen him for such a long time. I didn’t know what I wanted from all this. A boyfriend? That scared me. All my life I was taught that being gay was wrong and now I wanted a boyfriend?

Twas the night before Tricksmas, and all through the ward. I woke everybody cause in my sleep I snored. I woke up as early as possible with excitement building up inside me. It was seven in morning and Rebecca’s shift was just starting. I could see her silhouette on the curtain.

‘Psssst’ I whispered, waving my arms, ‘Bexz…’

‘Huh?’ She questioned, spinning around in search of the one calling her

‘Psssssst’ I whispered a little louder, ‘Heeeeeey… What’s behind curtain number two I wonder…?’

She pulled the horrid blue curtain from around my bed and smiled.

‘There she is!’ I smile, mockingly

‘You’re cheery this morning, Prozac’ She grinned

‘Prozac?’ I ask, bewildered

‘New nickname’ She laughed, ‘You like?’

I considered it for a moment.

‘Oddly’ I beam, ‘I do’

‘Goody’ She retorted, ruffling my hair, ‘So, how’re you feeling?’

I puffed out my chest and raised my nose in the air, wiggling it back and forth before returning to slumping back on my pillow. She blinked.

‘And that means?’ Rebecca asked, ‘Wait, don’t tell me’

She looked deep into my eyes, analyzing. Thinking that she’d solved the mystery, she snapped her fingers.

‘Morphine?’ She grinned

I shook my head.

‘Then it must be love’ She smiled, poking my side, ‘You’re in looooove’

‘Apparently so...’ I laugh, pulling the notepad out from behind the pillow

‘Oh… It’s not me is it?’ Rebecca stepped away from my side, ‘Because I’m married…’

‘No... As wonderful as you are...’ I whoop, shaking my head, ‘ Wait.. You’re married?’

‘Try not to sound too shocked…’ She answered, mock offended

‘Well.. It’s just.. You’re what? Nineteen?’ I inquire, taken aback

‘Very sweet of you’ She snickered, fiddling about with the machine by my bed, ‘But I haven’t been nineteen for a good eight years now…’

‘You’re older than me?’ I fall about laughing, ‘Jesus Christ’

‘Sooo,’ She cackled, ‘Once you’ve finished laughing… Who’s the lucky girl?’

‘His name is Patrick’ I chortle, shocked that she didn’t look shocked, I assumed she didn’t hear, ‘His name is Patrick’

‘I heard you the first time Zac.. Jeez’ She smiled, slapping me on the back, ‘If you give him that song you wrote, he won’t be able to resist you’

‘So…’ I rub my elbow, ‘You don’t care…?’

‘Of course I care honey’ Rebecca nodded, ‘I care about your welfare because... Hello! I’m a nurse…’

‘Hey… Thanks…’ I thank her as she leaves.

‘Pro-Pete.. I don’t mind that you’re bi..’ She beamed, leaving me on my own again.

That. What she said. It made so much sense. In fact, it made me feel so much better. Better than any medicine could. I wasn’t gay. Hell no. I was bi. I couldn’t help but think… ‘Awesome’. I flicked open a new page on the pad and began to draw. A couple of flowers and a smiley face. A star and a heart on a string. Some words. A sentence or two. ‘I’m having another episode. I just need a stronger dose’

I hear Rebecca clacking around again. I was surprised to see that it was now half eight. I must have kept myself occupied for a while. The curtains were pulled back once more and Nurse Sanger smiled at me.

‘Coffee?’ She asked, yeah, she felt she had to ask.

I nodded.

‘Oh, and there’s someone here to see you’ She added, grinning, ‘He seems very eager. Should I let him in?’

My heart pounded against my ribcage. Patrick. He was here. This could either be very good or very bad. I consider telling her to shoo him off. Almost involuntarily, I nod. Palms sweating.
The time between her leaving and the sight of Patrick’s shadow across the flowing material seemed like a lifetime. I almost cried as he pulled back the ugly curtains. His face was emotionless. I wished I could read him. He stood still, at the bottom of my bed, staring. I couldn’t talk. In fact, I couldn’t think. Before I even had time to consider thinking, he pounced.

It wasn’t until I tried to move my mouth that I realized that he was kissing me. My brain froze. My eyelids drooped shut, my hand finding the back of his head as it did before. His fingers wrapped up in my hair and for the first time ever, I got butterflies. He pulled away, a little too soon for my liking, but I couldn’t complain.

‘Thank you’ Patrick mumbled into my cheek

‘You’re not mad?’ I ask, strangely sounding like I was complaining

His lips met mine again. Catching me almost as surprised as the first time.

‘I’ll take that as a no?’ I question, not needing an answer

‘The song... Did you… You wrote that?’ Patrick eyes glistened

‘Uh huh…’ I heaved a sigh, nodding. ‘Do you like it?’

Again he kissed me lightly. I’m glad he’s making a habit of this.

‘Is it about… Dwayne…?’ He looked away from me, but I put my hand on his cheek and pulled him back, ‘You know then?’

‘Yes…’ I retort, stroking under his eye, ‘Joe told me…’

‘He is so dead…’ Patrick growled at the floor, ‘I’m serious… Like… Really dead…’

‘Don’t kill him…’ I smiled, as he dropped into the seat next to me, ‘He’s looking after my present for you’

‘That…’ His shiny eyes on me, ‘Wasn’t my present..?’

‘Nope’ I chuckled, ‘There’s more’

He look as though he was about to cry. Thinking I upset him for some reason I moved the sheets and flicked my legs around onto the floor. Patrick laughed at my gown. I wasn’t amused. Since I didn’t like the constriction of underwear and the gown was open at the back, I was very aware that everyone behind me could see my ass. I thought maybe sitting back down would be a better option. I smiled at Patrick.

‘Let’s go’ I say, nodding, gathering some things from the bottom of my bed.

‘Now?’ Patrick asked, still staring at my gown, I sigh

‘Yes and stop staring at me like I’m in drag’ I laugh, scooping up my clothes from under the bed

‘You’re wearing a dress’ He said plainly, pointing at me

‘Gown’ I exhaled, waving my hand in his direction

‘Fine.. That’s a gown…’ He snorted, ‘If that makes you feel any more masculine’

‘Careful hunny’ I hoot, and then blush, realizing that by bending down to get my clothes, I am in fact flashing the whole of my tanned, ugly butt to him. He’s falling apart laughing at me. That can’t be a good sign, ‘My ass isn’t that ugly… is it?’

‘Makes a change to having to stare at your face all day’ He tapped at my butt cheek with his foot as I pulled on my Captain Caveman undies, ‘Awww cute. Tighty whities’

I shot him an evil glance which faded as soon as I saw his lips curl up in a dazzling, very real grin. I heard the familiar tapping of dirty white shoes on the ward floor. I place a finger over my mouth, indicating to Patrick that I wanted him to be quiet. Climbing up onto the end of my bed, I stood towering above the gap in the curtains. The second I saw Rebecca’s brown and blond locks I struck, jumping on her back.

‘Banzai!’ I knocked her to the floor, leaving her in a shocked, screaming pile

‘Petezac you moron!’ She pushed me off of her, how very professional of her

I kissed her on the cheek with a loud wet noise and she kicked me, hard. I yelped in pain and clutched my shin.

‘Assault!’ I cry, overdramatically, ‘Abuse!’

‘Shut up,’ She laughed, placing a hand over my mouth, ‘Hey, guess how many enemas I’ve given today?’

I flail my arms around and poke at her upper arm. Suddenly, she wasn’t playful anymore. She hissed in pain. I stopped immediately, of course, lifting up the sleeve of her nurse uniform, revealing a large purple bruise. It looked surprisingly similar to a hand print. She let her eyes drop and got to her feet.

‘Sorry…’ I cough, quickly joining her at human level, ‘Did I just do…that..?’

She shook her head and laughed it off.

‘No, it was just some patient not unlike you…’ She punched me in the arm, ‘Fooling around.. Got a little violent… Doesn’t matter’

She looked at Patrick and smiled.

‘So, you’re Patrick then?’ She asked, pulling the sleeve back down to hide her badge of weakness, ‘Zac here’s forever going on about you’

I chuckled nervously and tapped her on the head patronizingly.

‘Yes, good girl, back to the ward sweetie,’ I span her around and pushed her back, forcing her out of my bed area, ‘Bye bye now’

‘Nice to meet you Patrick’ She called behind her

‘Same!’ Patrick called back, then turned to look at me, ‘Zac?’

‘Long story..’ I nodded

‘I’ve got all the time in the world…’ He smiled
Sign up to rate and review this story