Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Half Way Around The World

Settling In With Sarah

by fob2adelaide 1 review

Arriving in Chicago, Emily heads home with Sarah and finds out that seeing FOB live may be sooner than she thought...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Drama - Published: 2008-01-24 - Updated: 2008-01-24 - 974 words - Complete

0Unrated
A/N: Reviews would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Emily stepped into the terminal and instantly looked around for the girl she had seen in so many photos. She was looking for a short, skinny, girl with dark blonde hair and light blue-eyes. After a bit of looking, Emily spotted Sarah with what Emily assumed was Sarah’s dad. She wondered as she walked over to Sarah what description she was using to find her. Most probably medium height, a little curvy, light brown hair and green eyed. That, Emily thought, was a perfect description of herself. Just that instant Sarah seemed to spot Emily as she tugged at her dad’s arm and ran over to her. Emily smiled and was pulled into a hug. That was one thing she hadn’t expected, a hug. But it was nice to know that Sarah was really happy to see her.
“Hey!” Emily grinned as Sarah finally let go of her.
“Hi…finally we get meet Emily! This is my dad Greg,” Sarah’s dad stepped forward to Emily and shook her hand, “Thanks for letting me stay with you Mr. Clayton.”
Sarah’s dad laughed, “That’s fine call me Greg okay? Mr. Clayton is too formal.”
Sarah rolled her eyes, “He says that it’s his dad’s name so he doesn’t want to use it. Now should we get your bags?”
Emily nodded, “I guess so. How far away is home from here?”
The three of them began walking to collect Emily’s suitcase as Sarah answered, “Home is about forty minutes away. Want to walk?”
Emily thought she was serious.
Sarah patted her on the shoulder, “I was joking Em!”
“Sorry, I’m just jetlagged I think. Actually can you carry my bags, I’m so tired.”
Now Sarah looked serious.
“Joke,” Emily grinned as Greg laughed at his daughter’s gullibility.
And from then on in, Emily knew she’d fit in with the Clayton’s.

After the forty minute drive in which Emily had spent gazing out at the snow which she’d never seen before, they arrived at Emily’s temporary home; Sarah’s house. The three of them dragged Emily’s bags inside and placed them in Sarah’s bedroom where there were two beds. Greg left the girls in peace as he went to cook dinner.
“So where’s your mum Sarah?” Emily asked,
Sarah made herself comfortable on her bed, “You mean mom? You have to say it the American way Emily.”
“Funny!” Emily tossed a pillow at Sarah who just simply threw it back.
“She’s out getting a cake.”
“For?”
Sarah chuckled, “For you.”
“Me? She didn’t have to do that!”
“Well that’s mom for you.”
“Now I feel guilty Sarah.”
“Don’t! There’s no reason to be.”
At that very second a knock came on the door. “Come in,” Sarah yelled and then she whispered, “Brace yourself this will be mom now.” The door opened very quickly and in came Sarah’s mom. She walked up to Emily and pulled her into a long hug. Sometime in the middle of it Emily managed to turn her head to Sarah who mouthed, ‘I told you to brace yourself.’ Emily tried to grin but got nowhere. Her jaw was stuck on Sarah’s mom’s shoulder. Finally Sarah’s mom let her go, “It’s so nice to have you here darling!” She exclaimed, “I’ve got a cake to celebrate!”
Emily smiled a little, “Thanks a lot.”
Sarah took this opportunity to seemingly save her friend from her mom, “Mom’s name’s Liz,” she stated.
Liz nodded.
“Now mom how about you put that cake in the fridge?”
Liz nodded once again and walked out of the room.
“So that’s your mom,” Emily said quietly, “She’s…very friendly.”
Sarah sighed, “A little too much sometimes.”
Both girls lay down on their beds, they needed a rest after that event.

Later on after the girls had had a rest they tramped out into the living room where Greg was watching The Simpsons. The girls sat down on a couch and began to watch it with him. When finally an ad break came Emily decided she’d like to find out a bit more about Greg. She turned to him and smiled, “So what do you do for a living Greg?” She asked politely.
“I work down at a local music venue we have here. I’m one of the lighting techs.”
Emily found this really cool. She’d always wanted a job like that, “That’s awesome,” she said, “Are there any jobs available there? I’ve done some AV and I’d like a job like that.”
“Actually we do need another person for helping with the lighting. Say you come with me tomorrow and we’ll try you out.”
Emily beamed at him, “Thanks, that’s really kind.”
“Well we really need all the help we can get. Next week we’ve got a band on and they’ve got three sold out shows and all sorts of lighting going on.”
“That would be great to help with that.”
“Well I’m glad you’re enthusiastic about it Emily, Sarah doesn’t find it interesting at all.”
Sarah put on a sad face, “Thanks dad.”
“Well you don’t! Anyway, Sarah’s still coming next week because she wants to meet this band since she likes them. But she says she won’t work.”
“Oh, what band Sarah?” Emily asked.
“It was meant to be a surprise for you but it’s …Fall Out Boy!”
“Are you serious?” Emily grinned, “And I’m going to be working for them.”
Sarah was getting excited all of a sudden, “And you’re going to meet them with me!”
Sign up to rate and review this story