Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance

Concrete Angel

by iKeeks 3 reviews

A Frank Iero one shot based off of the lyrics from "Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride. Comments and ratings are greatly appreciated.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Frank Iero - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-02-05 - Updated: 2008-02-05 - 1292 words - Complete

0Unrated
She walks to school with the lunch she packed.
Nobody knows what she's holdin' back.
Wearin' the same dress she wore yesterday.
She hides the bruises with linen and lace.

Avery's mother sat in the kitchen, basking in the light blue smoke her cigarettes caused. She watched as Avery walked past the kitchen door, pausing only to look up at her with sad eyes. Her mother simply scoffed and turned, finishing off her cigarette. Avery looked down and hiked her bookbag on her shoulder, walking out of the front door.

Avery walked up the stone steps of the school, holding her brown bagged lunch. Her white knit sweater covering her bruised arms in the cool October morning. Last night's events left her lost and confused. She wondered why her mother would do such a thing. But her mother loved her right? Her arms stung and she pulled the large school doors open.

The teacher wonders but she doesn't ask.
It's hard to see the pain behind the mask.
Bearing the burden of a secret storm.
Sometimes she wishes she was never born.

Avery took her usual seat in the middle of the classroom. Her teacher, Mrs. Summer, walked in, looking around the classroom. The first thing she noticed was Avery. She sat at her desk, wearing the same dress and same knit sweater she was wearing yesterday. Mrs. Summer shook her head and continued on, handing out the tests to the children.

Eventually, Avery became uncomfortable wearing her knit sweater. She shrugged it off of her shoulders, wincing at the slight discomfort her upper arm caused. The pain in her arm was nothing compared to what has happened before. She had broken a rib from her mother pushing her down the stairs. Her mother had rushed her to the hospital, only pretending to care. She had lied to to doctors when they asked her how her rib broke. She told them that she had tripped on her jeans falling down the stairs.

The bell for lunch rang and Avery gathered up her brown bagged lunch and walked out to the classroom to the courtyard. Not feeling well enough to run around in the leaves as the others were, Avery sat back on the bench and observed what was happening around her.

"Hey," A voice said from beside her. She turned her head to meet a pair of green eyes.

"Hey," she replied softly to the young boy.

"I'm Frank,"

"Avery," she spoke softly, looking down at her hands.

"What's wrong?" Frank asked her, sitting down beside her on the bench. Avery simply shook her head, but returned her gaze to the young boy.

His hair was a black mop on top of his head. His soft green, hazel eyes were kind and loving. Unlike the deep brown orbs that were filled with hatred she was so used to seeing from her mother. His smile was reassuring to her, which caused her mouth to turn up slightly.

Frank and Avery talked the lunch period away. Frank's quick witted humor had Avery smiling and laughing in no time. Avery enjoyed the company of her new friend. She also found out that Frank lived next door to her. They planned to meet at the window's of their bedrooms later that night.

Through the wind and the rain
She stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams, give her wings,
And she flies to a place where she's loved.
Concrete angel.

It was already night fall and Frank and Avery had been chatting with each other for over an hour. Avery told Frank that she had lived in Belleville since she a little girl, and that ever since her father left them, her mother had turned to alcohol. He also found out that her mother would often abuse her, leaving her with deep cuts and bruises that she hid underneath her clothing.

Just as Frank was about to tell her how sorry he was, Avery's mother stormed into her room, pulling her away from the window.

Somebody cried in the middle of the night.
The neighbors hear, but they turn out the lights.
A fragile soul caught in the hands of fate.
When morning comes it'll be too late.

Frank watched from the darkness of his window. He watched as Avery's mother roughly took her away from the window. He watched as Avery's expression turned from upset to utter terror as her mother shook her entire body. Avery looked over through the window at Frank with a pleading expression. Before Frank could say a word, Avery's mother grabbed her face and forced Avery to look in her mother's eye.

Through the wind and the rain
She stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams, give her wings,
And she flies to a place where she's loved.
Concrete angel.

Frank could feel the tears prick at his eyes as Avery's mother dragged her out of view. Unfortunately, he could still see the shadow of Avery's frail body, and the constant blows she recieved from her mother. Not knowing what else he should do, he ran away from the window and hid away.

Avery's mother was outraged. Avery, herself, was confused at her mother's sudden outbusrt of anger, but certainly not surprised. Avery was used to them, but it was usually because she had done something wrong. That something usually being forgetting to close the front door, or forgetting to do the dishes when she got home.

Avery listened to her mother scream profanities as she swung her arms and fist repeatedly. Silent tears rolled down her cheeks. She begged her mother to stop. But this only encouraged her mother to continue. Avery could smell the alcohol on her mother's breath. She could also feel herself slipping away, slowly but surely.

Her mother's blows had subsided when she realized Avery wasn't fighting back. She ceased all movement and looked at her daughter. Avery had her eye's closed and wasn't breathing. Her mother's eyes got wide when she realized what she had done. She never meant it to get this far.

The sounds of the cop cars and ambulance siren's filled the air. Avery's mother sat in the corner, hugging her daughter's lifeless body close to hers, repeating she didn't mean for this to happen.

**

Frank stood outside, behind the tape the officer's had put up after they brought Avery's mother out of the house. He waited for the paramedics to bring her out, wrapped safely in a blanket, ready to be taken to the hospital for the night.

But his heart sank when he saw the streatcher. The black bag was enough to tell him that she was gone.

A statue stands in a shaded place.
An angel girl with an upturned face.
A name is written on a polished rock.
A broken heart that the world forgot.

A small grave was sat in the corner of the cemetery. Several people crowded around it, one of which was Frank. He looked down at her grave, his face mirroring the surrounding people.

Through the wind and the rain
She stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams, give her wings,
And she flies to a place where she's loved.
Concrete angel.

Frank turned away from the grave, walking right through the people behind him. A bright white light surrounded him as he made his way through. As he reached the other side, a familiar face smiled at him.

Frank pulled Avery into a hug as they were surrounded in the same bright white light. They pulled apart and walked hand in hand up the hill.
Sign up to rate and review this story