Categories > Games > Zelda > Correspondence

Condemnations and Obligations

by arora_kayd 0 reviews

Same as before. This chapter written by Point_Earedpain

Category: Zelda - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Characters: Link, Sheik - Published: 2006-02-11 - Updated: 2006-02-11 - 447 words

0Unrated
Title: Condemnations and Obligations
Author: Point_Earedpain
Beta: Aurora-Kayd



Dear Sheik,

I've always known that it was you. I'm not all as oblivious as everyone seems to think. I know just as much about obligations and expectations as you do. So when everyone expected a Hero of Time to use brawn instead of brain, to go heroically forth to save them all, to be, above all, complacent, I obliged them. Because that was easier.

I knew as soon as I received your letter what you meant to say. I read it anyway. Not that knowing made it any easier. Because I know your scent from Zelda's. I know the calluses on your hands, and even the curve of your eyelashes. I know, intimately, every plane and curve of your body. That one night was enough for me to learn the pitch and cadence of your breath. Enough for me to memorize the way you curled around me, even in your sleep, as though you could not bear to let me go.

But you did. Because you thought it best.

To tell you the truth, I was angrier at you than I have been in a long time. You wrote so easily of how others wronged me, but, in depriving me of a choice, you have abused me worse than any of them. I never had a choice in my destiny. You could have at least given me the choice in the path of my own heart. Surely I have earned that much?

I doubt that I need to tell you how I would have chosen.

But the time for choices is past now. I have made mine. But please know that, no matter what you may think, and no matter how angry I ever was at you, I do not choose Zelda over you. I choose my son. For, you see, much has transpired in the land of Hyrule in the two years you took to write your letter. The Hero of Time wed the Princess, and not two months ago, she bore him his first-born son. Once again, I have done just what was expected of me.

Do I regret it? Sometimes. Not when I hold my son in my arms and see the sunlight glinting off of his bright hair. But sometimes, when, at table, she places her soft, unscarred hand over mine. When, in the still of the night, I hear her soft breaths from the darkness and I can almost feel the phantom warmth of your body curled around me.

But the time for all that is past.

Not that I don't still love you. At that's the worst part of all.

~Link
Sign up to rate and review this story