Categories > Original > Fantasy

In the Shadows

by Anime_Girl 4 reviews

Midori thought she was an average girl,but that changed when she had her first encounter with a demon . . . something that should'nt even exist. Full summary inside.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-03-24 - Updated: 2008-03-24 - 858 words

5Exciting
In the Shadows

Summary:Midori Tsukino is an average teenage girl. She waits eagerly at the home her and her brother, Kyo, share for his return from one of his 'business trips.' She runs a couple of errands, and who would've thought that on the way home from the store she'd have a run in with a demon, something that shouldn't even exist? It tries to kill her, but Kouji, another demon, kills it first. Her savior tells her everything, about her fate, and what she really is as well as many others. On the second run in with Kouji, he explains her brother is never coming home, as he was killed by Pheenex, a powerful demon. Midori wants revenge, Kouji has his own past fueds with Pheenex, so they join up to kill Pheenex before he reaches the Lost Heaven, a paradise or even a hell hole.

Chapter 1 - The Face of Death
Kyo

The scene was bone-chilling, their battlefield sequestered from the outside world, in a far away place, a church to be exact, which is very ironic considering what the beings there were and what they were doing. Kyo Tsukino ducked, avoiding the quick thrust of the demon’s blade in front of him. The blade narrowly missed Kyo’s neck, only centimeters above his shoulder. Kyo took the demon’s miss as a chance to kick it in the face. The white-haired demon staggered backwards. Both beings were bleeding in many places, not fully ecstatic about enduring the battle going for much longer. The demon quickly recovered and lunged at Kyo, aiming for the man’s neck. Kyo did an immediate back flip, once again barley missing being caught. He landed perfectly on his feet, with his beautiful, long, silver blade, that was now glittering from the sun’s rays shining upon it, at his side. He rushed at the demon and the demon did the same. Both swords drawn. Steel touched steel. When the two blades clashed, they made a sound similar to that of crackling thunder.
“Your tale ends here, Pheenex! And your death will be this world’s liberation!” Kyo shouted, with such loathing, with such passion and with such determination, you would almost believe he was bound to win.
“How cliche, you really believe you can come and play hero, just like the rest of them.” Pheenex snickered. But despite this, the fire in Kyo’s eyes continued burning. Kyo tried lashing at Pheenex’s leg and bringing the blade up to make the slash end as far as the demon’s shoulders. However, Pheenex blocked it with an uppercut. Thunder roared. This was the final battle. Kyo knew it.
“Kres vun Flame!” Pheenex shouted. Blue flames sprouted from the ground, with such a high velocity Kyo almost didn’t see them coming up, surrounding the demon and man. Kyo knew this type of spell, a demon trick. Like a barrier, the blue fire would repel anyone from leaving the fight until their opponent was dead, or, perhaps, until they, themselves, die. Kyo ducked again and shouldered his foe. Pheenex stumbled backwards, struggling to stay on his feet. Both combatants charged at each other. Kyo jumped, twisting in the air as he brought his blade down in an attempt to slice his opponent in half. The attack was parried by the demon; Pheenex then plunged his sword into Kyo’s chest. Kyo started gasping for air. His boots felt the crunch of the earth when he fell to his knees. Blood poured from his chest. In pain, he clutched the wound. No, no, NO! Kyo’s mind screamed for him to continue fighting, but he knew he couldn’t. Pheenex grinned at him, showing he knew he had won. Then Pheenex pulled the weapon out and tossed it to the groung next to him. He looked at Kyo for a brief moment.
“Kyo Tsukino, this is quite a pity that you humans die so easily,” Pheenex started, in a low, but yet mocking tone; he emphasized on the word humans, saying it with such disdain, it was obvious to tell how he felt about them. “However, you have been such a great source of entertainment. I do hope your sister is the same way. Otherwise, it won’t be any fun when I go to see her. Rest well. I’ll tell your sister you said hello, and I will also make sure to mention I don’t think you’ll be making it home anytime soon. Ta-ta.”

Pheenex began walking out of the deserted area. The Church seemed to get dark, or perhaps it was just Kyo’s fading vision. Before closing the doors behind him, Pheenex shouted something like, “I’ll be at the Lost Heaven!” Then the doors shut. Kyo knew he had to do something. But what was there that he could accomplish in such a state? Kyo’s hand stroked the ground as he tried to get a grip to pull himself up. He failed. Already drowsiness overcame him. His eyes were slowly beginning to shut.
But, he had to accomplish one last thing. . .
Sign up to rate and review this story