Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Time: Part II

Chapter Three: A Horrific Halloween

by SoccerDevil22 0 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres:  - Published: 2008-04-09 - Updated: 2008-04-09 - 3415 words

2Exciting

-- (Headmaster’s Office of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, earlier that day) --

“Ah Professor Snape, what brings you to my office. Shouldn’t you be teaching?” asked Professor Dumbledore.

“I let them go early.” said Snape.

“You? Let a class out early? Not in the eleven years you’ve worked here have you done such a thing.” Said Dumbledore.

“There’s a first time for everything.” Snape mumbled.

“Indeed there is.” said Dumbledore. “Now tell me, why is it that you are here?”

“About half way into my class, Potter started to act strange, and then asked to talk to me after class.”

“What was it he wanted?”

“That’s what I asked him.” Snape said. “He…he said it had to do with Snivellus.”

Dumbledore looked up from what he was writing at this.

“So I told everyone but him to get out. Well actually screamed it really.”

Dumbledore groaned. Imagining what came next with the son of Snape’s most hated boyhood enemy left alone in his professor’s class after asking about one of Snape’s worst experiences while he was at Hogwarts.

“Sir this child knows both Occulmency and Legilimency. Not only that but he is a natural. Not even you or myself or the Dark Lord were ever naturals at both. No one since-”

“Godric Gryffindor. Yes I know.” Dumbledore finished for him.

-- (Great Hall) --

Dear Harry,

That’s so cool! I can’t believe that you made the House Team. I’m sure someone’s told you by now that first years never make the team. I’d be surprised if you weren’t the youngest seeker in a century. How did you go about that anyway? You must be really good if they’re allowing you to play so young. Then again, Quidditch is in your blood. Your father was Seeker for Gryffindor as well but I’m sure you already knew that. You are going to have to tell me what happened between you and Snape. Knowing him from what the twins say, it was probally just some more anti-Gryffindor racisms. For some reason he has always been out to get Gryffindor’s. Especially Weasley Gryffindor’s. Every Weasley has gotten a detention from Snape for as long as he has been teaching here, even Percy, so since my oldest brother Bill was a student. He works for Gringotts, a curse breaker for tombs and treasure. He was Head Boy when Snape gave him one. Bill once told me that Snape had been breathing down his neck all week while he was making a Truth Serum as a final project, just waiting for him to make a mistake. Bill, knowing that he would just get marked down or given an incomplete, (Snape would accidentally slip something into his cauldron or mash his flask) shot one of Dr. Filibuster’s Best Wet Start, Non-Flammable Fireworks into greasynose’s supply cupboard and blow up most of the vials in there. Bill’s was the only Veritaserum potion left so Snape forced him to drink it. Bill then happily told him in great detail, including walking him threw the mathematical equation for the most destructive path for the rocket to take causing the greatest amount of damage. Bill was given a lot of detentions, but because he was questioned in front of Professor Dumbledore, there was proof that his potion was successful and he was given an O (Outstanding, it is the best grade you can get.) Bill said it was well worth the week of detention and he would do it all over again just to see and I quote “Snapy’s” face as Dumbledore congratulated him on a fine potion. Well I’ve wasted enough parchment and ink so I’ll talk to you later.

~Ginny~

Harry snorted at the letter during breakfast. Bill defiantly sounded like someone he would like to meet. His snort, however, caught Ron’s attention.

“What?” he asked trying to get a peek at the letter. “Who’s the letter from?”

“Er…nobody Ron.” Harry said as he hastily folded up the letter. He saw Ron frown and hope he hadn’t read anything that would give away who had written it because he knew first hand how protective Ron was of his sister. That last thing Harry needed was for Ron to be mad at him for writing to her. It was there sixth day of school. Harry had already had four practices with the Gryffindor Quidditch Team and, much to his surprise, was excelling at it. Hedwig had also brought an oddly shaped package with a note that had a short, messy message on it: Don’t open now. Take it up to your dorm and open it there. Professor McGonagall.

“Come on Ron, Hermione. Let’s go see what this is.” He said excitedly to his best friends.

They left the Great Hall in a hurry. As they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady, Ron pulled Harry aside and told Hermione they would be inside in a minute. Once the portrait was closed, Ron turned on Harry.

“Why did Ginny send you a letter?” He asked angrily.

“We are corresponding.” Harry said causally leaning up against the wall, arms crossed.

“Why?” Ron asked.

“Do I need a reason?” Harry asked back.

“You can’t answer a question with a question.” Ron growled. “So technically you didn’t answer me and when it comes to my baby sister and blokes, I want answers.” Ron said warningly.

“We are just keeping in touch. You can read it if you want. There’s nothing private or anything in our letters. Well…at least not in this one.” Harry said dangerously. He was tempted to see if Ron was as protective as Ginny said. Sure enough, he was.

“WHAT! WHAT HAS SHE BEEN WRITING YOU? On second thought, POTTER WHAT THE BLOODY HELL HAVE YOU BEEN SAYING TO MY SISTER!”

“Oh…you know, just how I can’t wait to see her so I can snog her senseless, again.” Harry replied with a shrug.

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN AGAIN? FOR YOUR SAKE, I HOPE YOU AREN’T SERIOUS!”

“Of course I’m not serious.” Harry snapped. “See how you over reacted. God I can’t believe she was right. Do you actually think that your sister or myself would actually go around snogging each other? We’re only ten and eleven years old. Here.” Harry said thrusting the letter into Ron’s hands. “See nothing private, nothing personal. And no where does it mention us snogging. Nothing is going on between us. She is just a friend and I have no more feelings for her then I do Hermione or Angelina or Katie or Alicia. Thanks for trusting me mate.” Harry finished bitterly and stomped off through the portrait hole leaving an extremely stunned and guilty looking Ron behind him.

-- (Later that Day) --

Harry was out flying around the Quidditch Pitch on his new broom, The Nimbus 2000. It had been a gift from his Head of House Professor McGonagall. He had told Ron that he and Ginny were just friends, which was true, but as for not having feelings for Ginny…

You’re just eleven, his less mature self reminded him. You shouldn’t be thinking of girls.

Then the more mature part piped up, Yeah well what do you call what happened between us and Claire Smith hmm?

W-we were j-just friends. Said immature Harry.

Hmm the, other asked, since when do “just friends” kiss?

Err…ok so there’s nothing wrong with dating girls it’s just…

What?

She’s Ron’s little sister.

So?

So firstly because she’s his sister, that makes her out of bounds. Second she’s only ten so she probally still thinks boys have kooties. And thirdly Ron would tear us limb from limb if we started to date her after what we just said.

I sincerely doubt that. She is more mature than half the girls in first, second, or third year for that matter. And besides we were only ten when we dated Claire.

But we had known Claire since Pre-K. We only just met Ginny seven days ago.

Seven is the most powerful magical number, he remind the other. We were born at the end of the seventh month.

His scar seared and burned as if it was on fire. Something from a time long ago shot through his brain like a distant and forgotten memory, interrupting his train of thought. “Born as the seventh month dies…” croaked a hoarse voice. Then just as it had started, the pain had stopped.

That shook him out of his mental battle with himself. The flying around seemed to have helped clear his mind of the Ginny issue for now but that was replaced by what he had heard in his head. He flew off back towards Gryffindor Tower and his dorm window that he had left open.

-----

September flew by and soon they had their first quidditch match.

--(Slytherin Vs. Gryffindor) --

The Gryffindor team was waiting to be called out. Harry was walking back towards Wood after throwing up for the fourth time.

“Nervous Harry?” Wood asked.

“A little.” Harry admitted.

“I felt the same before my first match.” Wood replied with a smile.

“What happened?”

Wood’s smile disappeared, he turned and looked forward. Avoiding Harry’s eyes he said. “I don’t really remember. Took a bludger to the head a few minutes in, woke up in the Hospital Wing a week later.”

Harry’s eyes grew to the size of golf balls. He quickly turned forward before turning to his right and vomiting.

Harry collected himself just in time to hear…

“And now the starting line up for Gryffindors! Lead by captain number 00, Oliver Wood! The chasers are number 18, Angelina Johnson, number 4, Alicia Spinnet, and number 13, Katie Bell. At Beaters numbers 10 and 01, Fred and George Weasley. And now! The Seeker! Number 22! HARRY POTTER!”

As each name was said, the players took the field. Harry shot out of the locker room, let go of his broom while jumping off his as he did a flip, thus landing a prefect double back flip. Yes it was going to be a good game, Harry thought.

In the end, Gryffindor had trounced Slytherin 560-40 which put them in first place for the House Cup. This was only achieved after Harry executed a flawless Wonksi Feint in a drive for the snitch.

Soon before they knew it, Halloween was upon them…

-- (Charms Class) --

“One of a wizard’s most elementary skill is levitation or the ability to make objects fly. To do this, annunciate Wingardium Leviosa. And remember to use the nice wrist movements that we have been practicing earlier Just shish and flick.” said Professor Flitwick.

The class started to chant Wingardium Leviosa with little success. Ron, Neville, and Seamus were by far the worst of all. After a few minutes, it became quite apparent to Harry and Hermione what Ron’s problem was.

“Wingardium Leviosaw!” Ron practically yelled while jabbing the feather, they were supposed to be levitating, with his wand.

“No, no stop you are doing it all wrong. You are more likely to poke someone’s eye out then get anything to levitate. Plus, it’s shish and flick, not jab and stab.” Hermione said.

“Yeah and besides, it’s Leviosa not Leviosaw.” Harry informed him.

“Well if you two are so smart, why don’t one of you do? Come on now.”

“Fine.” They said and together in precise unison, said “Wingardium Leviosa.” There feathers began to rise.

“Well, well class look. Miss Granger and Mr. Potter have done it! Excellent, great job ten points to Gryffindor a piece.”

At this Seamus started chanting the spell hoping to get points as well, and while Professor Flitwick was praising Harry and Hermione’s work, Seamus feather exploded.

Choking back a laugh Harry said “I think we’re going to need another feather over here, Professor.”

After class Harry and Hermione were discussing a muggle movie, called Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back, while heading to the Great Hall for the Halloween Feast, when they came up behind Ron and a bunch of their classmates just in time to hear why they were laughing.

“It’s swish and flick, not jab and stab.” Ron mimicked, making his voice out to sound like Hermione. “Then there’s Potter. Honestly the two of them should just marry and get over with it already. Bloody annoying they are.”

As Hermione heard this, her eyes began to tear up and she ran off passing Ron and the group.

“Now you’ve done it Weasley.” Harry growled, purposely bumping into Ron as he ran after her.

Harry caught a glimpse of her as she ran into the girl’s bathroom. He knew that if he entered he would get docked at least fifty points but he didn’t care. He burst through the door just in time to see a stall door slam shut. He walked over to it and, in a gentle and caring voice, asked “Hermione?”

He could hear sobs and sniffles as she croaked out “Go away Harry.”

“No,” he replied “you’re my friend. Don’t listen to Ron or anyone else. He just a jealous little prat.”

Harry heard the bathroom door open and swore under his breath. A girl, fifth year by the look of her Prefects Badge, had entered the bathroom.

“What are you doing in here?” asked the startled Ravenclaw. “You’re a boy! And boys are not allowed in the girl’s bathroom. They’re for girls, hence the name girl’s bathroom.”

“So sue me will yah.” Harry replied.

The girl gave him a confused look. “Sorry, Muggle saying. Listen my friend is in there,” he said jerking his head towards the cubicle “and she is a little upset…”

“That’s an understatement and you know it, Harry!” they heard Hermione snap.

Harry snorted “I’m a little worried about her. A kid in our House was poking fun at her and I’m trying to help. Trying but so far I have been very unsuccessful.”

“Well…look, both of you need to get out of here and go back to your Common Room. There’s a troll on the loose in the castle and-”

She was interrupted by a thundering crash. The door to the bathroom had been completely ripped of its hinges. Hermione had unfortunately taken this time to open the door to see what had happened. All three of them were exposed to the ten foot tall troll. Harry immediately pulled out his wand and aimed it at the troll. The Ravenclaw and Hermione seemed to have been stunned, for they weren’t moving. Just staring, horrified at the troll. Then both girls screamed. The troll began to attack.

Harry began shouting out every spell and curse he knew “Reducto. Stupefy. Impedimenta. Rictusempra. Expelliarumus.” All the spells seemed to do was make the troll angry and he swung his club at Harry, knocking him off his feet and into a wall with a sickening crack where he slumped into a heap onto the floor.

Ron came running into the bathroom only to also be knocked off his feet. The troll then turned on the girls. He swung his massive club at them, but they were able to dodge it.

Harry started to stir. He was in immense pain, his eyes were barely open, and his wand was at least five feet away from him. He knew he must have a few broken ribs. Pulling all the power he had left, he focused it into his palm. Once he was sure he had enough of his power at his finger tips to cause damage to the troll, he took aim. He knew that what he was planning could potentionally cause a complete magical backlash rendering him about as magical as a muggle but he didn’t care his first and only priority was saving the girls. He could worry about the consequences later. He raised his arm up and shot a silver beam of pure magical energy at and through the trolls head, killing it instantaneously. The teachers just happened to rush in just in time to see yet another display of The-Boy-Who-Lived’s ability. Harry then closed his eyes and passed-out.

-- (Hospital Wing)--

Harry awoke and immediately reached for his wand. Everything was blurry and he couldn’t find his wand. Great, he thought, I’m dead. The troll is going to kill me. It took him a moment to realize that he wasn’t on the stony, cold, wet floor of the girl’s bathroom but in a rather comfortable bed. Not his four poster bed he knew. So where was he and where was the troll? Then he remembered the events leading up to his blacking out. Hermione crying, a Ravenclaw telling him off, the troll, Ron getting hit, him getting hit, the girl’s screaming, and finally him sending a spell or something at the troll, killing it. He reached for his glasses (which were on a nightstand next to his bed) and put them on. He saw Ron in the bed to his right still unconscious, Hermione to his left, the Ravenclaw to his far left, and Professor’s Dumbledore and McGonagall in front of his bed and a nurse right besides him attempting to shove a foul smelling liquid down his throat.

“Welcome back Mr. Potter.” The nurse said with a smile as Harry gadded on the potion.

“Ehhh…I’m beginning to wonder what would have been better,” Harry said choking down another vial. “dieing or taking these horrid potions.”

“Well,” said Dumbledore with a smile. “if he’s well enough to crack a joke, I think he’ll be alright.”

“Mr. Potter, what were you thinking? Wandering the corridors when there was a troll on the loose?” Professor McGonagall said, shacking her head.

“With all do respect, Professor, I didn’t know, at the time that there was a troll in the school, but perhaps I should be asking “How did that bloody beast got in?””

“At this time, we do not know the answer to that question.” said Dumbledore. “For now though you should rest.”

“Not so fast, Headmaster.” Sneered Snape “There’s still the question as to what Potter and Weasley were doing in the girls bathroom on the third floor, as I’m pretty sure neither are girls. So what were you to doing in there?”

“I had followed Hermione in because she was upset.” Harry said.

“And why my I ask, was Miss Granger upset?” Snape drawled on.

“That would be my fault sir.” Ron said. “She overheard me making fun of her and ran off.”

“That still doesn’t excuse you, Potter, from going in the girls bathroom.”

“Hermione is my friend.” Harry said defensively, his anger starting to rise. “Besides, she’s a Gryffindor. I’m not sure how things work in Slytherin, but in Gryffindor we watch out for our own.”

“Yes, that was so plainly demonstrated by Mr. Weasley.” Snape said sarcastically.

“We’ll he did come running when he heard the girls scream. I’d think you would run away screaming had you been in his position, Snivellus. Slytherin’s are known for there unique tendency to save their own skin before helping there comrades. You should know all about that. After all, it’s only been eleven years.”

Snape face went white. In his head he heard Harry’s voice. He knew that the boy wasn’t talking for he was looking directly at him. Yes Severus, the voice said, I know all about your pass. I know you were a Death Eater. Dumbledore may trust you, but I don’t.

Well Potter, Snape thought back, I don’t care if you trust me or not-

Just know I’m watching you Harry interrupted, Your thoughts are no longer safe. I wonder how many parents would want a Death Eater teaching their kids.

“Is that a threat?” Snape seethed out loud.

“Take it how you will.” Harry replied before the dreamless sleep potion took affect and he fell asleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story