Categories > Cartoons > Teen Titans > A Dish Best Served Cold

In The Beginning

by Count-Le-Madphantom 1 review

A stranger comes to Jump City with a cold-tempered sword and a mission... but why? OC Fic.

Category: Teen Titans - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Beast Boy, Cyborg, Gizmo, Jinx, Mammoth, Raven, Robin, Slade, Starfire - Warnings: [!] [V] [X] - Published: 2006-02-12 - Updated: 2006-02-12 - 1653 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I do not own any part of Teen Titans, nor am I affiliated with it in any way.


A Dish Best Served Cold



Somewhere on the sea near Jump City...

It was early morning, and the waters were calm in the orange glow of the rising sun...the only disturbance being the gentle rolling of the waves and the cool winds blowing.


The tranquility of the dawn's light, however, is suddenly interrupted by an enormous galleon-like ship floating slowly toward the city from the horizon.


The ship itself, seemed almost ghostly in the morning haze, it was built from what appeared to be a white-ish colored wood, with shining silvery metal adorning the edges.


White, billowing sails waved like banners on the ship's multiple masts, and a blue flag displaying a design of what looked like a snowflake waved from the front helm of the ship.

To further enhance the overall mystery of the spectral craft, was simply the fact that vessels such as these were hardly ever seen in this day and age, being outdated and replaced by their much more modern counterparts.

A lone figure stood upon the rear deck of the ship, standing completely still with the only movement from him being the way his long white hair blew gently in the wind.
This stranger himself was as fantastic as his ship, if not more so.

Snowy white hair that came down to the middle of his back in a long, elegant ponytail with a light blue band keeping it in place framed a startlingly pale face, almost as white as his hair.

His eyes were a deep shade of crimson, and seemed to take in his surroundings without ever blinking.

As for his clothing, let it be said that he was obviously not dressed as most people of contemporary tastes would expect. He wore a baggy white suit of clothes with a hood that seemed to be made out of a shiny, almost silken material that consisted of a long sleeved shirt and a pair of pants. All this was the same snow-white color as the young man's hair.

Around his pants was a gray belt with a silvery sword scabbard attached. In the scabbard was a long, thin-bladed rapier type sword with a golden handle.

Over the top portion of the suit was an armor-like chest plate and shoulder pad combination that was forged from a strange, deep-blue jewel-like material that shone and seemed almost transparent...if one didn't know any better, they would think it was made of ice!

His hands and feet were covered with thick gloves and tall boots, both of which were a teal sort of color; a bluish-green mix.

Finally, topping of the young man's odd wardrobe was a long, wide cape that flowed all the way down to his ankles and draped over both shoulders. The cape was the same dark blue as the chest plate and shoulder pads on the side facing outwards, and pure, clear white on the inside lining. Furthermore, his mantle was also adorned with a fluffy trimming of white fur all along the edges.

Around his neck hung a metallic silver necklace with a large symbol of a snowflake attached, much like the design on his ship's flag

Needless to say, the stranger presented a spectacle not easily forgotten...his overall impression was of a ghostly knight at the head of a monstrous, spectral galleon.

The mysterious young man leaned against his ship's railings and sighed deeply...

Cue Flashback

The Same boy as before is no longer on the ship, but rather walking along a snowy path up a mountain.

He walks on for some time with no change in the snowy scenery except the occasional gnarled, old, leafless tree. Finally, he stops and looks up to see what looks like a massive glacier on the peak of the mountain...but it is not. Upon closer inspection, it is actually a castle...a castle made entirely of ice.

A couple of men in all-white metal armor with crystalline-bladed spears guard the front. He walks up to them.

"Hey guys...can a brother get in around here?"

The two guards, only just noticing the young man look to see who is speaking and jump back, as if startled.

"Sub-Zero! It's you! Of course...go right in, sir."

=(Note: not the Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat, this is an entirely different guy.) =

"Thanks boys!" he replies with a mile wide grin. Obviously, they have met before.

The two guards both touch their spears to the front section of the icy castle wall, where the doors would normally be. The weird, icy blades on the spears glow with a blue light and suddenly, the front of the wall literally began to crack from the ground up, like a fissure up the wall. A moment later, a large section of the wall opened up like a set of double doors, with the opening between doors being where the crack had formed.

Both of the burly guards step back and bow, motioning for Sub-Zero to go on in. He starts off walking again, and goes in.

Inside, the castle looks like a strange ice fortress, with the walls shining with a dim, blue light, casting a sort of ethereal glow around the whole place.

He walks down several long corridors, all identically decorated with paintings of snowy scenes and suits of white armor.

Although the place is designed like a maze, our man seems to know exactly where he is going and why. His footsteps echo off of the frozen tiles of the floor and seem to resonate from the walls and ceiling, creating a slightly eerie ambience. After a few minutes of walking in silence, he arrives at a large set of reinforced wooden double-doors and carefully pushes them open to step inside.

The next chamber has a long hallway with a center carpeted walkway with large, torches of strange blue flame along the sides and the end is an icy throne with a giant of a man sitting upon it.

Like the boy, he has red eyes and white hair with pale skin, but also has a long white beard and mustache. Furthermore, he is much taller, at least a good nine feet or so tall!


Upon his head sits a blue metallic crown adorned with various rubies, sapphires, and emeralds, along with flecks of silver and gold. He wears long luxurious robes of a deep purple color with white and black trim.

The boy kneels before the behemoth, and utters one word:

"M'lord?"

The giant king looks down at the boy and, after a moment begins to speak.

"Ahh...Sub-Zero. I thought I would be seeing you soon...you are here to pass your final test of Knighthood, are you not?"

"Yessir, m'lord. I have come to receive my final test."

"Good. As you know, you are now sixteen years of age, and therefore of age in our kingdom, the time has come to prove yourself a true warrior. You are to journey out away from our frozen island of Norblitz, and prove yourself worthy of knighthood...but you must never reveal the location of our home to the outside peoples...we do not welcome outsiders here."

The young man, Sub-Zero, bowed his head and nodded. But then, he looked up with a puzzled expression.

"Wait your highness...how do I know when I'm worthy?"

The gentle giant of a king smiled and clapped his hands. As soon as he did so, a guard came running from the side of the chamber holding a small, ornate chest. He kneeled before the king and opened the chest, and the king reached in and grabbed a small round necklace and handed it to Sub-Zero, whom just looked at it.

It was made a pure sapphire, with an emerald lining around the edges. Upon the blue, sapphire center was carved the likeness of a winged serpent...a dragon. The boy's eyes widened.

"Beautiful...but sir...how will this help me?"

The king drew back his head and loosed a booming laugh that nearly shook the ice palace.

"Naïve boy! That is no ordinary bauble you hold...it is a talisman of the Ice Dragon. When you have become worthy, It will glow with a mystic light, and you shall return to me with it as proof. Only then, will you be named a Knight of our northern kingdom."

The boy bowed again. "I understand... I shall depart at once sire, I'll take my ship."

"Then Go, boy, ... and good luck to you."

End Flashback

Sub-Zero looked upon the city in the distance before him...when he had first departed, he had prayed for a sign as to where to start his quest to become a worthy knight. He had sailed aimlessly for a few days before catching sight of this city.

"Amazing...what beauty!" he said, astonished at the sprawling metropolis. But the most remarkable thing was that far in the distance of the city, was a truly massive building that, if his eyes did not deceive him, was shaped like a giant letter 'T'. "Surely, that is the sign I was askin' for! I'll go to that city and make a name for myself. Someplace that big has to have some action, eh?" he said nodding to himself.

He smiled...he had a good feeling about this. Placing a hand on his sword, he prepared to dock his ship near the city.

"Just you wait...this lowlifes in that city'll never know what hit 'em!"




Well? Like it? Hate it? Review so I'll know how I'm doing. Sub-Zero is my own, original character, and in case you are wondering (as you probably are) just what the hell any of this has to do with teen titans...don't worry. The heroes we know and love will be cropping up next chapter.
Sign up to rate and review this story