Categories > Cartoons > Teen Titans > A Dish Best Served Cold

My What a Large Ship You Have...

by Count-Le-Madphantom 0 reviews

Explanations, big-assed galleons, and new friends... Cool.

Category: Teen Titans - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Beast Boy, Cyborg, Gizmo, Jinx, Mammoth, Raven, Robin, Slade, Starfire - Warnings: [!] [V] [X] - Published: 2006-02-12 - Updated: 2006-02-12 - 1752 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Ya'll know the drill; I don't own any of the Teen Titans characters.


A Dish Best Served Cold-Chapter Two




It has been a couple of hours since Raven brought Sub-Zero into the tower; in that time, he explained, his name, his powers, and why he was here.

"So you come from some tiny frozen country up North, but can't tell us where it is 'cause you're sworn to secrecy?" Robin said, still looking at him skeptically.

"And you're trying to become a knight? Isn't that a little unusual these days?" added B.Boy.

Sub-Zero sighed in mild frustration.

"Yes...but you have to remember that things are much different in my homeland. We don't have much in the way of technology...we still fight with sword and shield. Also, we still live under a monarchy.... but that's not to say our king isn't just! He is the best king we've had in years. If you still don't believe me, just take a look at my sword, ... Eviglasere!" He pulled the scabbard at his side off, and held it out.

Robin took it to look at it and the others gathered around.

"...E-vig-las-ere..?" Star managed to get it out. "That is a very strange name for a sword...or a very strange name in general."

"Yep...in my native language, it simply means, 'everlasting ice'...just pull it out and you'll see why. Go on!"

Robin carefully pulled the golden-handled sword out of the casing, and gasped. The blade was made entirely out of Ice. "It's ice! But how is that possible?"

Zero grinned proudly and explained. "I just told you, man! It's everlasting ice! Ice that has been magically enchanted so that it never melts, and never breaks! Also, as you can tell, it's been sharpened so much that it cuts just as well as any iron or steel...maybe better. The pommel was crafted from solid gold, and the scabbard, from genuine sterling silver."

"Oh, it is beautiful!" gushed Star, staring wide-eyed.

"Yeah.... especially considering you could chop a horse in half with it." Raven commented roughly, not sounding particularly impressed.

Zero just laughed.

"Hahahaha! I guess that's true as well." He grinned sheepishly. "It's a fine blade, that's for sure...it's saved my skin on a number of occasions."

Cyborg rubbed his chin, thinking. "So... do you have to have your sword to freeze stuff, or is that a separate ability?"

Zero just smiled mischievously and outstretched his teal-gloved hand towards a window.

All of the sudden, a small concentrated gust of icy wind burst forth from his hand, almost like magic, and froze over the window completely...all while Robin was still holding Eviglasere.

"Alrighty then... I guess that answers my question..." Cyborg said staring at the window.

"Impressive..." Said Raven, who actually did sound rather impressed this time.

"Thanks! But it's not unique...everyone back in Norblitz can do that. I guess my people have lived in the freezing cold North so long that we just kinda, you know, became one with it."

"That is so amazing! I would very much like to see this place one day." Star said, seemingly smitten with the idea of an entire island of ice-people.

"Heh...not in those clothes you wouldn't...and besides, I doubt my liege would allow your entrance.... Aw, but don't take it personal!", he added hastily, seeing Star look rather hurt by this comment.

"It's just that...well...a lot of my people, especially the elders, are very...um...shall we say, 'Old-fashioned'. They don't exactly trust outsiders...but I've always thought that was rather stupid. I mean, come on! Just look at you folks! You're superheroes! Not to mention you saved my life from that heat out there...by the way...I don't think I ever thanked you for that, Madame." He said gesturing towards Raven.

"Oh...um...it...was nothing..." she mumbled blushing slightly (although, fortunately for her, her hood covered it.) But then, she got a puzzled look on her face. "Why were you climbing that cliff anyway?"

"Well...er...I didn't see any docks, so...I just kinda....dropped anchor and ...well,...started climbing! But I didn't count on it being so high...or so hot..." He fanned his face to illustrate the point. "I guess I'm just used to cold, snowy weather."

"Wait...'dropped anchor'? You came here on a boat?" B.Boy said, suddenly interested.

"Well...my ship, actually....the Fryse Wyrm." He said with an air of pride.

"Dude, that's sweet! Can we see it??" Beast Boy yelped excitedly.

"Sure! It's the least I could do."


So, he they left the tower and went the same way that he and Raven had come from, and before too long, came to the aforementioned cliff.

"uh...dude...I hate to break it to you.." Beast Boy started "But your ship musta sank! There's nothin' down there!" he said looking over the edge of the cliff.

"Oh I know...not yet, of course." He muttered with a sly, crafty smile.

The Titans just looked at him confused, but he chuckled and reached into his cape....and pulled out a small, metal whistle.

"This little beauty..." Sub-Zero said, running a hand through his long white hair, "is another nifty magic enchantment I came across in some of my earlier travels."

Before they could ask him what it did, he reared his head back, sucked in a deep breath, and blew into the tiny whistle with all of his might.... and yet, no sound came out.

They blinked in confusion, except for Zero, who just stood patiently.

"uhm...wha-...?" Cyborg began but was cut off.

"Shhhhh! Listen!" Zero hissed, putting a gloved hand to his ear.

For a minute they just stood there like that...but soon they heard something...like a soft, faint buzzing from underneath them...then, it became a bellowing noise that came from all around, before slowly and surely becoming a painfully loud roar that rose from the sea itself.

The sea itself began to churn and froth, as if it were boiling. Shortly after, a huge whirlpool formed at the bottom of the cliff.

"Look! Something's comin' up!" Robin bellowed over the loud din, and pointed towards the whirlpool.

Sure enough, it was. A massive, white and silver shape began to emerge out of the water...before long; enough of the monstrosity had surfaced for one to realize that it was a ship...a huge ship.

After a minute or two of this chaos, the great noise abruptly halted, and the water became utterly calm. The big boat had surfaced completely.

It was a white ship with several masts, complete with thick, broad, billowing sails, several rows of big black cannons jutting out from both sides. The whole thing had strips of shining silvery, studded metal adorning it, which, despite having been under water, had not rusted a bit. Bizarrely, the whole ship looked to be completely dry, no water running off of it or anything. A large blue banner with the symbol of a white snowflake waved proudly from the front end, with no trace of moisture whatsoever. It was basically an enormous, almost ghostly looking pirate ship.

There were assorted sounds of awe from the onlookers:



"Holy Crap!" Robin shouted, pretty rattled by the entire display.

"Oh my goodness! Beautiful!" Starfire cooed loudly with huge, glassy eyes.

"SO completely sweet...!!" Beast Boy yelled excited

"Whoa...incredible..." Cyborg said softly

"Er.... wow." Raven said with surprise that was uncharacteristic of her.


Sub-Zero just smirked and bowed, motioning towards the ship with one hand.


"Monsieurs and Mademoiselles... I present to you.... (big melodramatic pause) The Fryse Wyrm."

"It is lovely! You came all the way here on it? How long did it take?" inquired Star.

"Oh...four 'er five days." Zero replied.

Raven glared suspiciously.

"Wait...you said you came from the far North...almost up to the North Pole? No ship could go from there to here in five days! Especially not an old-fashioned one like that!" she protested hotly.

Sub-Zero chortled knowingly "Madame...this is no ordinary ship. Most modern ships still look like sea snails compared to this baby!"

She sighed, "If you say so...." She sounded skeptical, but she had a gut feeling she could expect anything out of this guy.


"Uh...guys? It's getting kind of late... we should be getting back to the Tower" Robin pointed out.

"He's right...we should go y'all." Cyborg confirmed. He motioned back to Sub-Zero. "Yo, Zero! You need a place to stay for the night?" The other titans looked at him in surprise. "Uh....if it's okay with my friends, I mean."

Robin smiled "Of course! We couldn't refuse."

Sub-Zero just smiled back and raised a hand. "I am flattered by your offer...but no, really, I have a bedroom in the ship's cabin...and besides, I couldn't bear to trouble you folks further."

Robin shrugged "If you say so. I guess we'll see you around."

Starfire interjected excitedly "Oh yes! You must come visit us sometimes! We would be overjoyed by your company!" She even went so far as to wrap him in a bone-crushing hug.

"U-uh...sure...hack...but please..cough could you...oh,say...let go, Madame? I kind of need to breathe..."

She immediately released him and blushed sheepishly as he fell on one knee inhaling deeply. Star flew off after the other Titans who were already heading home.

"Well I'll see you around, then!" he called after them before they left.


Once they were gone, he turned to his ship and raised both arms. Using his cold-based powers, he created a bridge of ice leading down to the ship's deck, which evaporated behind him as he walked, so that by the time he reached the deck, it was gone.

He Entered his bedroom in the Captain's Quarters, and laid down on the bed, quickly falling asleep...but before he did so, he thought to himself:


'Hmmm...been here one day, and already made some new friends...this quest really won't be so bad after all!"





Well, esteemed and discerning readers, that's that! In the next chapter, the Titans are called off to stop a robbery and wind up facing a familiar trio of troublemakers...but these hoodlums have learned a few new tricks! Can the Titans take 'em, or will they need some.... assistance? Also could a certain young snowy swordsman make a new lady-friend? Find out Next time!

--Count Le Madphantom
Sign up to rate and review this story