Categories > Books > Sherlock Holmes

A Fair and Just World

by Eternatis 0 reviews

In a fair and just world, the last words of a brilliant man would not have been written on three pages torn from a notebook. [Spoilers for The Final Problem.]

Category: Sherlock Holmes - Rating: G - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2008-04-20 - Updated: 2008-04-20 - 200 words - Complete

1Insightful
In a fair and just world, the last words of a brilliant man would not have been written on three pages torn from a notebook and left under a cigarette case. (Watson kept the pages folded into his pocketbook, long after he had read them enough times that he could recite their words.)

In a fair and just world, John Watson would not have had to share his grief with all of London. (For weeks and months after the funeral, he had a steady stream of visitors using the flimsiest excuses to gain entrance, all so they could examine him in his grief and give him their sincerest condolences.)

In a fair and just world, he would not have lost both Holmes and Mary so soon after each other - or at all, if the world had been truly kind. (Holmes, perhaps, he might have been able to bear, but Mary as well, and so soon after Holmes - surely he could not lose both of the people he cared for most.)

In a fair and just world, Sherlock Holmes would have been burnt as the devil. (Perhaps it is fortunate, then, that the world is rarely fair or just.)
Sign up to rate and review this story